VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Allison transmission overfilled

(1/2) > >>

Bob Smith:
2011 GMC Allison transmission serviced before trip from the West coast to the East coast and back. Temps seamed to be higher than past trips while pulling the trailer, but now have a larger trailer. The fluid level was checked and was 3.5 quarts overfilled. The temp was only above 200* a few times
(long uphill pulls) and not for long even then, and does not smell burnt. Average temps were about 175-190 with outside temps in the low 80's past few days. I had the level checked and adjusted in Tennessee today, so about 2400 miles on the over filled condition. Didn't really start showing up until the outside temps changed from the 30-40 range to the 70-80 range. I know, should not have trusted a dealer and checked it earlier but didn't. All seams well but what do I need to watch for now or do you think any damage has been done?

KensAuto:
I wouldn't worry too much, but I'd check it yourself when they get done.
Usually when they're over full by even a quart or 2, they'll start pushing it out the vent when heated up.
3.5 without pushing it out seems, well, quite frankly, hard to imagine.

Bob Smith:
Thanks Ken, well I didn't get to watch them pull the stuff out so just using the number they put on the repair order. I did check it this evening and it reads right in the middle of the two holes and was hot. When I checked it this morning before taking it to a dealer, it was almost 2 inches above the upper hole, up in the z shaped bent section of the dip stick, and was still cold but driven forward and reverse a few times and in neutral on level ground.

JR:
I wouldn't sweat it, but I would get some out. That is only about 10% over so no to bad.

I wish mine ran the cool. I have done the flip mod on the cooler and still get into the low 200* easy when towing.

rpar86:
If you're in Tennessee you should head to KY, meet up with Don out at the farm, and deposit some of that fluid on the ground out there to add to what JD and Sarge have already put back into the earth.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version