Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2005 Chevrolet Ext Cab Dually 4x4 LLY  (Read 7405 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
2005 Chevrolet Ext Cab Dually 4x4 LLY
« on: October 27, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »
Hi all, considering the amount of Duramax knowledge here, I figured I'd ask the question. I'm looking at buying a used 2006 LBZ 1-ton 4x4 ext cab. What I know so far is that it has about 200k kms (125k miles), needs an exhaust manifold (one of them is cracked), ABS light was on because a wheel bearing was put on it with no sensor, it has been laid up about 10 months, but does currently run and drive.

That's mostly what I know so far. The good part is that I can get is for a decent amount under $10k. It won't be my daily driver because I"ll have my Tacoma still, but it will eventually do some hauling for farm/personal use.

Anything I should look out for? Is that a fair price? It has a service box on it now, but I would be getting it with the stock dually box and a cap.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 10:18:43 AM by rcampbell »

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Chevrolet Ext Cab Dually 4x4 LBZ
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »
Depending on condition and trim packages, that sounds like a deal. 125k miles is nothing to worry about.

Look for any warranty work done.. Try to run the balance rates on the injectors, look for hazy exhaust, signs of head gasket failure (oil in water, water in oil, hard coolant hoses when cold), maybe try to see what shape the front end is in... if there's any slop in the wheel... maybe jack up the front and look for bearing play.

Ken will chime in too...

But sounds like barring something major, that sounds like a really good deal. Not sure what the market is by you, but i just looked on Craigs in my area and the cheapest LBZ has 200k miles and is listed at 19k
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 03:27:38 PM »
I have close to 120k miles on mine now and it runs as new. Under 10 is a steal. I would have a diagnostics run on it and focus on the tranny.

If a drivers exhaust manifold, get a later model without the pinch. A good upgrade in the PPE, but over a grand but you get alot for that.

I am getting a glowplug code, but runs doesn't seem to mind.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 05:35:28 PM »
I'm at 327k kms, 205k miles. Still running like a champ.
I wouldn't be at all scared about the mileage.

If it's unmolested, or has a smart custom tune all things driveline 'should' be good.
I've had a 100 hp custom tune in mine since 50k miles 80 kms.
The fella that tuned it Kennedy Diesel guaranteed it was tranny safe, as in it was same as his daily driver.

Front end issues would be commonplace, depending on your abilities can be quite cheap to repair, but can be a lot of bull work too. I stopped doing ball joints years ago, just no fun without the tools.

The LBZ is a very solid and desirable motor to have as well.
Like mentioned above get a diagnostic run on it, check out warranty repairs, and buy it!
Low miles like that for that money, if you don't buy it, let me know and I might!

If I remember you're in BC, so salt damage may be a consideration to look for also.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »
Get underneath and watch the steering as the wife, girlfriend, buddy wiggles the steering wheel back and forth to check tie rods, pittman and idler arms. Driving down the road my LB7 tracked straight with no issues, but the whole front end is wasted. I paid $12k for 230k miles on an '03 so price is good for mileage and year of what you're looking at.

Ken?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 06:13:44 PM »
I'm with Tater...Steering is probably going to be worn

So replace the tie rods with good stuff.

Purchase performance manifolds and up pipes and throw on a 4" exhaust while you have it apart.

Mileage is not a problem and price is killer!

Rust? Any of that going on?

Wheel bearing replacement is a piece of cake. couple hours and $100 or so and that's in the bag.

I want a dually, so if you balk it, let me know!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:55:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I did get a little more info over text messages. It has an aftermarket turbo on it (not sure specifics yet), but he says it adds more horsepower. It's still running the stock tune though. The brakes have been done, that is when the sensor-less wheel bearing was put on ( so he removed the ABS fuse so the light would go out on the dash). It was a work truck, and isn't mint, paint a little faded, could use a wash etc. He said the factory box is made of plastic and has a few cracks in it, I guess if it's plastic it can't rust. Good points about the front end, I'll check it out, and wouldn't mind repairing myself since it's not a daily driver anyway. He did also mention he has tires for it, so that might be good too. Going to look closer at it this week, so I'll keep yas posted!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:21:48 PM »
Just figure doing the front end. I just collected all the parts and new sleeves for the tie rods as my cognitos went south.

You can get Timken hubs for 137 on ebay, get lifetime tierods as they will go bad (I got napa) and the sleeve are $20 on ebay.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 10:30:26 PM »
ok, ill be negative nelly here and ask the questions that have not been asked or answered and offer some comments that have been over looked.

1. is it a true LBZ or is it an LLY? 

2. what is the 8th digit of the VIN#?  is it a 2 or a D?  2 is an LLY and D is an LBZ

3. is it a dulley or a single rear axle?

4. if the exhaust manifold is cracked, then one of 2 things have happened.  the previous owner was hot rodding the crap out of it (which could explain the aftermarket turbo) or the exhaust was not properly hung........?  LBZ do not have issues with exhaust manifolds!

5. why does it have an aftermarket turbo on it?  again LBZ's do not have issues with turbo's.......!?

6. what was the purpose that the owner was using it for?

7. why was the bed removed and a flat bed put on? and why is the flat bed not staying on?  what happened to the original bed that it has cracks in it.....was it just thrown to the side and then somebody realized what they were doing?

8. why has it been sitting for 10 months.......and has it been started at all during that time?

9. depending on the rot level from the salt, replacing front end components is moxnix ...........?

10. has the transfer case had the pump rub upgrade done to it...........if not, I would be very leary and would almost walk away just for that.......(the fix is really easy, just takes some time, but if it has not been done then you would be driving a ticking time bomb!)

11. when you say under $10k what exactly are you talking about?

12. how often was the oil changed, and what was run in it?

13. has the fuel filter been serviced regularly and when if ever has the filter head been rebuilt/replaced (they do go bad)?

14. LBZ's do not have issues with head gaskets, but with a cracked exhaust manifold and a replaced turbo, I would be really leary???  if it is an LLY then I would be cautious about this issue even though the 05.5 - 06.5 LLY's are mechanically the same as the LBZ's just de-tuned and gm stated that they fixed the issue with the sub standard head gaskets.....

please know that these are just the questions that quickly popped off the top of my head while reading this.  I own an LBZ that just rolled 145k. 

what exactly are you wanting to get out of the truck, use wise..........etc?

I am not trying to steer you away from this vehicle at all, I just truly want to ensure that you go in to the deal well armed with knowledge about LBZ's and duramax's.

sorry, ill shut up now and await further instructions.....???

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 10:33:50 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:51 PM »
Man you guys handled that nicely. I have nothing....

...just kidding. That is a smoking price, if it's in decent shape. Aftermarket turbo and no tuning doesn't really make sense. Pretty sure it needs tuning to make that work right (or maybe he just replaced the turbo with a non-GM rebuild....not something a different size?)
A plastic service box? Never seen one, but it sounds like you could sell it for a few bucks.
Replacing the driverside manifold with one from an LML is a cheap upgrade....if it's the left side that's cracked.
Work truck=front end probably needs work. So what...no biggy for that price.
The whole "hub without a sensor" bothers me a bit. I don't know of a '01 up HD that didn't have abs....so I would think that he bought the right hub, but it's just missing the sensor. Easy fix....buy one and put it in.
I guess the only thing that would make me shy away would be serious rust. I don't see that out here, so I don't know what's excepted as normal.
Good luck!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:45:24 PM »
Heck, did I miss that much?

Plastic box? I wasn't even sure of that. So it has a plastic utility box??

I would take it to a mech, spend a few $$$ for a good checkup including the TCase and Trans.

The stock tune, aftermarket turbo and cracked manifold is red flag. But the price may offset that if it checks out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 07:19:43 AM »
ok, ill be negative nelly here and ask the questions that have not been asked or answered and offer some comments that have been over looked.

1. is it a true LBZ or is it an LLY?
I'm not sure, will have to verify that once I get a closer look.

2. what is the 8th digit of the VIN#?  is it a 2 or a D?  2 is an LLY and D is an LBZ
Same as above

3. is it a dulley or a single rear axle?
It's a dually

4. if the exhaust manifold is cracked, then one of 2 things have happened.  the previous owner was hot rodding the crap out of it (which could explain the aftermarket turbo) or the exhaust was not properly hung........?  LBZ do not have issues with exhaust manifolds!
No idea, only thing I know is there's an "aftermarket turbo" which "can add 75hp", whatever that means. I asked if the turbo was the only thing changed, or if the tune was changed as well. He said just the turbo, but also said it was $2000 to get it installed, which seems high to me if it was indeed just the turbo.

5. why does it have an aftermarket turbo on it?  again LBZ's do not have issues with turbo's.......!?
He said "the strap let go and the turbo fan blew apart".

6. what was the purpose that the owner was using it for?
Had a company installing and servicing windmills, and hauled tools and parts in it and a trailer.

7. why was the bed removed and a flat bed put on? and why is the flat bed not staying on?  what happened to the original bed that it has cracks in it.....was it just thrown to the side and then somebody realized what they were doing?
There's no flatbed. There's a big service box on it now with all sorts of cubby's and toolboxes etc. It's a Leer service box of some sort that mounts right on the frame. I don't want that so he's taking it off. He does have the stock box for it with a cap on it. When he says "it's plastic and cracked in a couple spots", he must mean the fiberglass in the box has some cracks.

8. why has it been sitting for 10 months.......and has it been started at all during that time?
The company stopped business, so they had no need for a work truck anymore. Don't know if it was started regularly during that time, but I do know it was running last week.

9. depending on the rot level from the salt, replacing front end components is moxnix ...........?
Not much for "rot", surface rust on frame etc, but nothing serious. What on earth is a moxnix?

10. has the transfer case had the pump rub upgrade done to it...........if not, I would be very leary and would almost walk away just for that.......(the fix is really easy, just takes some time, but if it has not been done then you would be driving a ticking time bomb!)
Yeah, will have to look into that. I wouldn't mind do that fix myself as long as the back of the case doesn't have a hole yet.

11. when you say under $10k what exactly are you talking about?
Asking 8500

12. how often was the oil changed, and what was run in it?
Don't know yet.

13. has the fuel filter been serviced regularly and when if ever has the filter head been rebuilt/replaced (they do go bad)?
Don't know yet.

14. LBZ's do not have issues with head gaskets, but with a cracked exhaust manifold and a replaced turbo, I would be really leary???  if it is an LLY then I would be cautious about this issue even though the 05.5 - 06.5 LLY's are mechanically the same as the LBZ's just de-tuned and gm stated that they fixed the issue with the sub standard head gaskets.....

please know that these are just the questions that quickly popped off the top of my head while reading this.  I own an LBZ that just rolled 145k. 

what exactly are you wanting to get out of the truck, use wise..........etc?
Eventually it will be for some hauling duties on the farm, some wood, maybe some grain totes on a gooseneck trailer. Would eventually like to use it for a long trip with my little camper trailer across country or something, but that's a few years away.

I am not trying to steer you away from this vehicle at all, I just truly want to ensure that you go in to the deal well armed with knowledge about LBZ's and duramax's.
No I appreciate the input!! I'm not looking for an excuse to buy it. Almost the opposite, I want to be well aware of problems so that if need I can bring the price down more, or step away altogether.

sorry, ill shut up now and await further instructions.....???

I answered the questions inline, thank's so much for this, certainly will help my investigation be more thorough!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:22:18 AM by rcampbell »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 08:02:54 AM »
Mox nix! – From the German phrase, "Es macht nichts!" Often used by U.S. servicemen to mean "It doesn't matter" or "It's not important".

Does he have any pics that he shared with you?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 08:14:43 AM »
Haha well ya learn someting new every day!

No pics, but the truck is only a mile up the road from me, so I could snap some.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 10:10:08 AM »
After reading all these questions, starting with the thing Nate did

In my mind's eye, I pictured our inquisitive Mr. Rcampell as this guy in a darkened police interrogation room.

He is squinting while looking directly into a 150 watt light glaring him in the eyeballs, two feet distant. Right behind the conical lampshade aimed at his face and behind the light, Nate's face (He's the detective) is dimly illuminated from the reddish glow of the half smoked cigarette hanging from the corner of his mouth.

Just as Mr. Campbell starts to say, "I don't know if the transfer case is fixed! I JUST DON'T KNOW!"

Just as he says that, Nate blows the smoke he's holding in his lungs into Mr. Campbell's face and say's

"Moxx-Nixx!"
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 10:35:14 AM »
Hhahahahaah

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 11:44:55 AM »
rofl

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 12:06:45 PM »
since there is non above,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 12:09:23 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 05:44:19 PM »
Some updates! I grabbed a couple pics, and VIN. According to VIN it's a 2005 LLY truck. It's LT trim level, ie leather seats, power mirrors etc. Drivers seat has a tear in the side about 5 inches long, no biggie. No rust issues per se. The rockers are solid, but paint is worn to the primer, some dings and scratches, but no rust bubbles that I could see or holes through it. Grabbed a couple pics. Looked at rear and, and nothing seems to be leaking. Front brake rotors have some surface rust, but I can't feel any ridges, so they must be somewhat decent. Didn't get a chance to hear it run yet, or get under it to look at t-case, but hopefully will this weekend.

Certainly needs a cleaning, and a "going over", but so far, doesn't seem to be too terrible. The box and cap in the last picture is what I'd be getting as opposed to the utility box that's on it in the first pic.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
it looks clean, but I would let a mech look at it. The price is right for that too.

I kinda like utilties, but hat is BIG. Maybe you could swap it for a smaller as many outgrow the smaller ones.

Still question the turbo and trans. Are there emission issues where you are?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 06:03:12 PM »
The LLY may explain the turbo upgrade. And if the band clamp blew, an upgrade of a few of the charge air components would be a good upgrade. But still has some question marks around it.
Not sure, but likely would be some tuning done?

I'm not a fan of the utility box, but with the OEM one I like it.

I'm not well edjumicated on all things LLY, so I'll set back and see what those who do know have to say. Once you hear it run and drive you may find your answer.
I still think at that price it's likely a good deal, but more info on history is needed.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
LLY=LBZ detuned, thats all.

So 310 vs 360hp, still has the ally 1000 6 speed.

Heck, get it and bolt on a set of H1 tires!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:07:00 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 06:27:15 PM »
LLY=LBZ detuned, thats all.

So 310 vs 360hp, still has the ally 1000 6 speed.

Have to correct ya on one point JR, that's not true of all LLY's... only the 2006 LLY's...

This is an 05, and appears to be an actual LLY. You can also tell by the older "duramax diesel" door badge, instead of the LBZ "duramax/allison" badge. Another sure tell sign would be whether it's a 5 spd or 6spd Allison. 5 speed would be a true LLY, 6 spd would be a detuned LBZ. 6 spd Allison has the +/- manual shift on the column, 5 spd does not.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 06:27:50 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
The 5 speed allison is still a decent trans though eh?

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2015, 06:58:25 PM »
Yep... The 2005 LLY is just a different motor than the LBZ as originally stated. LBZ is the crowd favorite amongst dmax owners, and a 2006 "LLY" is kind of the gem of them all... as they're mechanically an LBZ, but de-tuned to LLY power levels, and therefore sort of babied their whole life relative to their potential. That's what JR was suggesting, but as an 05, this truck is an actual LLY, not a detuned LBZ.

They have different issues, notably head gasket issues, smaller radiator prone to overheating, slightly less power than an LBZ, etc. But still good motors. The LLY's were the first dmax's to have the variable geometry turbo as well.
NRA Life Member

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2015, 07:12:38 PM »
That's cool, sounds like it should have some potential if everything is working well. Is there any way to check out motor and trans without actually taking it to the dealer? Since it's currently not registered to be on the road, I more than likely can't drive it there.

One good thing is that it won't be my daily driver, so if I do have to put some work into it it won't be such a big deal. I'm thinking since I will have to put the box back on I might as well clean up the rear of the frame, get the rust off, perhaps toss some POR15 on it or something? Is there anything else that would be smart to do when the box is off?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2015, 11:59:36 PM »
Yep, that is true for the 2006, not the 2005 LLY with the 5 speed.

The 05 also has the external trans neutral switch (which likes to go bad) and needs more than a transgo jr to enhance.

I also run a 100hp tune since about day one with no issues.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2015, 12:01:17 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Chevrolet Ext Cab Dually 4x4 LLY
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2015, 03:56:56 PM »
so what was the end result of this vehicle..........?

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Chevrolet Ext Cab Dually 4x4 LLY
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2015, 05:37:59 PM »
I ultimately decided to forego the purchase of this vehicle and buy the Dodge 2500 I was looking at.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal