Hello Guest

Author Topic: Why a side-by-side?  (Read 4447 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Why a side-by-side?
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:16:16 AM »
Hey guys, been looking recently at SxS's, both here locally and at some of the cool builds you guys did. They seem like a pretty sweet toy, and some of the options you can get are crazy, like heated and A/C cabs, winches, winshield wipers etc.

The main thing I always end up thinking, usually after seeing the price tag, is why would a person want one of these instead of say a Jeep? Considering a purchase price of a new SxS is 10-15K (at least here in Canada), I could get a used TJ for like 3K and put some upgrades on it, and it would be awesome offroad, but more importantly I could legally drive it on the road too!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Why a side-by-side?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 10:53:04 AM »
This is my reasons:
If you've never ridden one through rocky terrain, or washboard roads, you don't know what you're missing. Also, I've had jeeps, a samurai, 3/4 ton, etc, but none could go where my ranger goes....unless a place where I needed a bunch of ground clearance (like running over a downed tree).

I guess when I was younger it didn't really matter about "ride quality", but now, bad back and all, I wouldn't ever trade my ranger for a jeep.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
That's a good point. Keep in mind I've never driven one, I just find the price tag always kills the buzz, especially when I didn't know if there were any advantages to them. I hadn't considered the smaller size could be an advantage though!

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 12:12:31 PM »
This is my reasons:
If you've never ridden one through rocky terrain, or washboard roads, you don't know what you're missing. Also, I've had jeeps, a samurai, 3/4 ton, etc, but none could go where my ranger goes....unless a place where I needed a bunch of ground clearance (like running over a downed tree).

I guess when I was younger it didn't really matter about "ride quality", but now, bad back and all, I wouldn't ever trade my ranger for a jeep.

Bingo

People use them all the time out here on the pipeline and they are worth there weight in gold.   My girl has a wrangler I brought out here and while it did very well it still doesn't compare to the buggies.  They are lighter so they don't sink as much and they climb like a mountain goat.  When I get my financial house in order next year that's probably the first thing I will buy for my job.   

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 12:52:35 PM »
Rented one and ATV in the High Uintas (Utah) and watched my son drive it in places it shouldn't (nor us) have gone!  Boulder strewn 30 + degree grade without missing a beat.  DONT buy a used "rental" by the way!

Boulder = lawn decoration size, not vehicle sized
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:51:20 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 10:55:45 PM »
Rented one and ATV in the High Uintas (Utah) and watched my son drive it in places it shouldn't (nor us) have gone!  Boulder strewn 30 + degree grade without missing a beat.  DONT buy a used "rental" by the way!

Boulder = lawn decoration size, not vehicle sized
Concur Mike, those things go everywhere.

That 825i Gator of mine was unstoppable!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 10:43:21 AM »
All good points, thanks for the insight guys. So I can now go tell my wife you guys said it's perfectly reasonable to get a new SxS? :)

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 11:20:08 AM »
You can tell your wife whatever you want- you gotta live downrange though......LOL
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 01:08:31 PM »
Hahaha so true. I should have first asked, "Why NOT a SxS?" and if I could get past "wife says no", then ask the rest of the questions :)

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 01:20:18 PM »
I concur with the rest of the comments.  I had the same dilemma until I drove one as a demo.  The Polaris ranger 800 SxS feels similar to an ATV.  Very lightweight and still able to carry 3 people in the front seat and cargo in the back.  And even stock, mine feels like it has a scary amount of power and is faster than I even need.  Compared the to a jeep which feels, drives, and maneuvers like a full size truck in comparison to the SxS.  Another thing to consider is using it for yard work.  We probably put more hours on the ranger using it to haul leaves, firewood, garden equipment and dirt around our house than for anything else.  The light weight and diff options (open, locked and full 4x4) allow it to avoid tearing up the lawn.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
You can get one of them little japanese pickups way cheaper then a side by side. Problem is im 6 foot tall and 200 lbs. In winter with all the extra cloths and over shoes its hard to get in and out. We picked one up for 5 grand a few years ago. Heat air and radio. 5 speed. 3 cyl engine. Geo metro oil filter but all engine parts including spark plugs have to be ordered from Japan. The one we have is just like this.... http://www.americasminitruckcenter.com/americas-mini-trucks.php?tid=24
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline sideways

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »
I have a 14 can am commander 1000. I can tell you it was the most fun purchase I have made. It will go anywhere, It has good tow/hauling for work around the ranch, and if you feel like going to an atv park they are a blast

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 11:45:21 PM »
One more reason why a side by side can be fun.  I was bored following my son on his dirtbike, so I took a detour and apparently my wife had her phone handy.

https://youtu.be/KNRYRrAZ3ys

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 11:51:53 PM »
Then she decided she needed to come along.

https://youtu.be/i40vR0rWV4U

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Why a side-by-side?
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 05:40:17 PM »
I have found them to be a lot more fuel efficient then jeep or so on.   You also had a diesel option from Polaris

Raising boys into RealMen!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal