Hello Guest

Author Topic: Which hitch  (Read 2429 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Which hitch
« on: October 11, 2020, 12:30:34 AM »
So i am looking and downsizing all of my B.S.hitches and going with 1 of these 3.

Anybody have experience with these or know who does?  Comments and recommendations are welcomed/wanted.......

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Gen-Y-Hitch/325-GH-1325.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/BulletProof-Hitches/ED25OFFSET.html

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Curt/C45902.html

I am honestly leaning towards # 2 or # 3.......
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
Re: Which hitch
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2020, 01:10:45 AM »
Of the three I would go with the Curt.   I have the two ball system as well but went with aluminum hitch for lighter weight. I think it is an Anderson brand. Add a couple locking pins and enjoy, having the 2 1/2 inch shank is nice as no hitch adapter needed. Mine has two holes in shank for having the ball sucked in tight to truck or set back away a few inches if needed.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2020, 07:52:54 AM »
Personally I’d prefer the Curt - all that adjustment above the other receiver is a waste and will put a nice dent in the tailgate when you forget and open it.  #1 appears to have anti-jarring contraption which might be nice if you were driving Rt 2 out of Grand Isle (that road sucks)

2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Which hitch
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2020, 10:17:42 AM »
Isn’t your truck stock height?

How many times do you figure you will be adjusting it?

How many trailers do you have to pull from time to time?

I liked the Anderson aluminum until I seen one fail,

I like my B&W hitch until it to gave way to long term wear,  the holes have all got an oval shape for the pins, it clanks and rattles, slips around.

I’ll be going back to the old style singe ball. Non adjustable and Leave the hitch on my trailer tongue while not being towed and call it a day

The fixed hold loads more weight, less moving parts, less weight per say, and they are a fraction of the cost.

The rubber mounted hitched look good until you think they are made of the same rubber as shock ends or who knows what.  They will fail, they will squeak, they will dry rot with sun, winter, hot cold cycles.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2020, 10:18:28 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 02:20:07 PM »
Nate, been running this one for 8 years, at least once a week, sometimes as much as 16k (mini X in the dump trailer to Idaho) and I wouldn't trade it for anything....so easy to swap sizes and it doesn't require a hitch pin. Only rated for 10k tho, although I think that's way under actual.

They make multiple styles including one with 3 removable balls.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch-Ball-Mount/Fastway/DTSTBM6825-2S.html
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2020, 04:24:36 PM »
I’ve seen two of those very hitches fail, the key tumbler is the only thing holding the load, it’s a sheer point and with enough wear it ovals out the hole, And will break.

I have had the key tumbler freeze/seize also where you can’t move them.  Mostly due to winter conditions and salt. 

I have sold the three of those hitches and won’t look back to aluminum.

Ken probably does ok with them not sizing because of his AZ weather.

Andersen Hitches 6in Rapid Hitch with 2 x 2-5/16in Greaseless AlumiBall (3405) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UH59D0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_LK2GFb1ZHKDRK

This thing has similar issues. Aluminum and steel pins don’t play well, the notch that holds the heigh will oval out.   Then show signs of stress fractures also.

Steel is real.   

Also if you look at the design of the Anderson and the DT hitch it’s dated

Everyone’s design moved towards a solid through hole design for a reason

Rhino Hitch RHI2BA10K-10D-2ZCB - 10K LB, 10" Drop Hitch w/ 2" Shank, Adjustable Aluminum Trailer Hitch & 2 Ball Convert-A-Ball Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BRB6JG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_GM2GFb12SRABN

Weigh Safe WS10-2.5-KA 10" Drop Hitch, 2.5" Receiver 18,500 LBS GTW - Adjustable Aluminum Trailer Hitch Ball Mount w/Built-in Scale, 2 Stainless Steel Balls, Keyed Alike Key Lock and Receiver Pin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CS9MLHT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_7M2GFbAXH0M5S

Uriah Products Aluma-Tow Drop Ball Mount for 2" Receiver (UT623410) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XQ5RSF7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_rN2GFbAHYC908

B&W TS10049B Tow and Stow Magnum Receiver Hitch Ball Mount https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000S0KY8A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_XN2GFbBP7CVSN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Which hitch
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2020, 04:49:16 PM »
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/tow-stow-adjustable-ball-mount

My vote.  I have this one. Add the anti rattle pad. Made in America and great customer service. My turnover ball mounting post in my dually got cross threaded somehow. I was just a few days from leaving on a camping trip. Called them. Sent me a new post and bolt for free  no questions asked. Included a hat and a bottle opener and a handwritten note thanking me for my business.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »
David aka negative Nancy, you haven't even been alive long enough to see a hitch fail, have you?

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 07:08:53 PM »
Dave, I have the Anderson hitch you reference in your post. I have not seen any problems with either the pins or the slots they go into. Granted I usually remove the hitch when finished using it, but I do use it quite a bit.  I replace the hitch with a steel step when not using the hitch. I did loose the cover that goes over the key tumbler on one of the pins if that counts.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 07:46:19 PM »
When I worked for the paint company we used the anderson hitches and the diversa tech hitch.  Pulling out concrete trailer we had the pin in lens hitch sheer and drop the trailer to the ground

Now to be fair I can’t Guarantee the hitch was on properly but what I can say is it was wrecked when we pulled over,  the through hole idea is stupid proof.

The second one was the Anderson where the trailer was attached to the truck 100% and it was jerking the truck and making lots of racket so we looked closer and the hitch had worn a oval into that ribbed section allowing the vertical adjustment to be really sloppy.

Take it or leave it. It’s not me pulling the trailers.

I’m planning on switching to fixed ASAP.  Over these over priced adjustable hitch’s

Yes my hitch is in the truck receiver of the time which might be excess abuse but  a fixed hitch wouldn’t cause an issue ever

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 07:57:21 PM »
I use fixed hitches or a steel adjustable that is locked in place at my desired height with two large bolts so I can’t help anyone but now I know who’s buying overpriced hitches.......  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 08:41:39 PM »
That is true Shawn, but this old guy can still handle the aluminum model.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 08:54:57 PM »

That’s good Bob, just be cautious Ken said same about H.......

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2020, 11:17:18 PM »

That’s good Bob, just be cautious Ken said same about H.......
Hey now!!

I don't care if my DT breaks in half and loses a trailer into a canyon, I'd buy another one just like it. Super handy when you have multiple trailers, different heights and sizes.

Sent from my MAX 10 using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2020, 11:34:32 AM »
I use fixed hitches or a steel adjustable that is locked in place at my desired height with two large bolts so I can’t help anyone but now I know who’s buying overpriced hitches.......  :popcorn:
Yeah, but are your’s CHROME???? :tongue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2020, 05:09:05 PM »
Yeah, but are your’s CHROME???? :tongue

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They are not, it’s a tool and as long as it works with way less issues than all these over priced problems appear to have I’m content.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2020, 12:05:51 AM »
I have all forged units right now. Had some cushioned stuff but the rating was to low.

My trailers are adjusted for it and it clears my tailgate when down, barely.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 07:58:18 PM »
Nate did you get your new hitch ball setup.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2020, 11:25:53 PM »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 12:30:50 AM »
Nice looking setup. The like the combo 2 5/16 pintle.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2021, 06:34:28 PM »
so the hitch I decided on was a 2.5" bulletproof extreme duty hitch with a 6 inch drop, it came with a dual 2 5/16" / 2" and I got the single 1 7/8" to go with it.  it is rated at 36,000lbs (not that i need that much).  I also called trimax locks and ordered 2 x 4 3/8" locking pins to make sure somebody does not walk off with anything.  I use trimax pins and locks because they can key everything together..... having 1 key is really nice.

https://www.bulletproofhitches.com/collections/2-5-hitches/products/2-5-extreme-duty-6-drop-rise?variant=39302471188545

https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/receiver-pins/receiver-locking-pins/th4-trimax-premium-5-8-dia-x-4-3-8-span-key-receiver-lock/  (I wish they would have had this one in black chrome)

Isn’t your truck stock height?

How many times do you figure you will be adjusting it?

How many trailers do you have to pull from time to time?

yes my truck is stock height,

I have a dump trailer and an enclosed trailer that takes 2 5/26 balls, I have a pontoon that takes a 2" ball, and I also have a barreto rototiller tiller that has its own trailer that takes a 1 7/8" ball.  even with my truck at stock height, I need to have a drop hitch at different heights to ensure that all of the trailers get pulled level (which is how they are designed to be towed).   

« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 06:48:10 PM by Nate »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2021, 11:07:49 PM »
Holly cow they are proud of those!!!

Keep us up to date how ya like it,  looking forward to the review

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2021, 06:40:35 AM »
You’d be 1 second quicker in the quarter if it was chrome....

Nice hitch

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2021, 08:16:56 AM »
You’d be 1 second quicker in the quarter if it was chrome....

Nice hitch

HAHAHAHA

chrome dont get you home....lol

Offline oldkoot

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2021, 10:37:27 AM »
Nate... call me odd....I just switched all my trailers to 2 5/16 thus life's simple.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2021, 11:51:59 AM »
Nate... call me odd....I just switched all my trailers to 2 5/16 thus life's simple.

my 2 main trailers are 2 5/16, but my pontoon is 2 with surge brakes so unable to have it modified.

if i had the tools to do it and trailers that cant be modified i would do the same thing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal