Hello Guest

Author Topic: My take on the Market today  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
My take on the Market today
« on: November 07, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
The stock market is having a pretty good day today on the heels of the Comey retraction of the investigation of Hillary. I wanted to throw out a couple of comments on that from my perspective. I don't claim to be a genius and I welcome other thoughts on the subject but this is how I see it.

After Comey's letter 10 days ago that said they were "re-opening" the FBI investigation into Hillary's illegal activities the market trended down losing about 2% in that time period. With the "new" letter last night the market is back up the 2% to where it was just before the letter announcing the "re-opening" of the investigation. So this is not a huge rally saying the economy will be better off with Hillary in my mind. It's a "reset" to where we were before. That's the first part.

But lets talk about why the markets go up or down anyway on information like this- ultimately we don't know who will win the election but the polls all point to Hillary. Markets move to things that they can factor in. But when there is uncertainty, the markets will get out of the way (ie sell off) until the "uncertain" becomes "known".

We see it all the time with companies and their warnings about future sales and earnings. A company will have great earnings but also say that the next quarter or year or something will be challenging and "guide" analysts to lower expectations. The stock will sell off as the future at that point is unknown. It doesn't change the fact that they just had good earnings, but the future now suddenly looks "less bright" so Wall Street reacts very quickly.

Other times you see a company come out with blow out sales and earnings and the stock trades off anyway. That is because while the formal guidance was for $X per share in earnings the street actually was pricing in $X+Y for earnings and if the company doesn't hit X+Y its seen as a disappointment. So the earnings are right where the company thought they would be but the Street got overeager for some reason and when that optimism wasn't borne out the Street sold off the company. 

As relates to the election the Street feels Hillary is a known entity. They may or may not like what she has done, what she represents or anything else. But she is a known item and won't look to change too many things from where they were under Obama (hence the 3rd Obama term discussion). Trump is the ultimate wildcard. If he renegotiates NAFTA how does that change things for public companies and their share prices? If he brings coal back in a big way what does that do to the oil companies? If he gets rid of Obamacare what does that mean for insurance companies and drug companies? If he cuts taxes like he's talking about what does that mean for the bond market? All these things should ultimately be positive things for the US economy and US jobs (I think) but there is "uncertainty" with a capital "U". And when Wall Street is faced with uncertainty it heads for the door until the uncertainty passes.

Think back (for those of us with some grey hair) to the first Gulf War when Saddam invaded Kuwait. The market had been on a roller coaster and had headed down as we headed toward the use of military force too remove Saddam from Kuwait. Jim Baker had been sent to try to negotiate a removal of Saddam from Kuwait and I remember his press conference afterwards so clearly....when he started speaking the market virtually stopped trading....everyone was watching....he talked about what they had wanted to do (to get Saddam to leave)....then he said the word "unfortunately...." and proceeded to explain why the negotiations failed. The SECOND he said "unfortunately" the market traded off and fell big time. Uncertainty was now heading to certainty but it was a shooting war which had its own "uncertainty".

When the buildup of forces occurred the market was trending lower.  There was uncertainty about whether Saddam would use chemical weapons, would stealth technology work, etc etc. The market traded off Monday through Thursday of that last week and then Thursday night the shooting started. (That was the night Bernie Shaw was under a desk in his hotel reporting that the shooting had started). Overseas markets traded off quickly but by the time the US markets opened the next morning the market traded up big. The "uncertainty" over what would happen in the war (would we succeed, would the stealth technology work etc.) had dissipated pretty quickly.

Sorry for the long winded comments but I want what Trump will do for the US for so many reasons. But while it might seem Wall Street "wants" Hillary the reality is Wall Street "wants" certainty. And until they see it they tend to head for the exits which drives down prices, even if what they are "running away from" is a good thing for us long term. YMMV.....   

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: My take on the Market today
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:27:44 PM »
I think your analysis is spot on

Hillary is not liked by wall street

It is only that she is a known commodity

With H you get the same deals

With T you get trade deals gettin' monkeyed with and the repercussions all that creates. Short term: Turbulence...Long term US wins

The wall = uncertainty of how Mexico will react, what 5 million illegals might do and short term turbulence. Long term = stability and security

With T the market will be far, far better off in 24 months, but will be a traders nightmare for a year +.

I like what the 2-2 SAS says:

Who Dares, Wins!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 12:18:35 AM »
Dow futures down 700 pts on likely T win. Will be brexit effect. The certainty is a huge plunge tomorrow. Uncertainty is the rebound beyond the short term.

And the fed will raise rates now, making it worse. Hang on folks, going for a ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2016, 12:23:54 AM »
Buy on the dip. Just like brexit

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »
Buy on the dip. Just like brexit

Sounds good but I was also told not to sell on a dip, so no money to buy. Hopefully the firm I am with pulled it all aside with a wait and see before it went south tonight. FAT CHANCE

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2016, 01:01:55 AM »
Nasdaq and SP futures hit circuit breakers and are halted... wow. Tomorrow is going to be very crazy at work.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2016, 01:20:45 AM »
That's why I always keep cash on the side. Take advantage of dips.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2016, 03:09:23 PM »
Aaaaaaaaannnnnnndddddd......brexit part II. Market is back up.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2016, 04:02:42 PM »
Defense contractors up big. Firearms manufacturers down huge.

NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2016, 04:33:54 PM »
yeah, the boogie man has been ousted.  No huge scary impending gun grab.  Maybe things will get back to normal.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 05:20:55 PM »
yeah, the boogie man has been ousted.  No huge scary impending gun grab.  Maybe things will get back to normal.
Like, as in we can find reloading supplies once again!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2016, 06:17:06 PM »
Oh, that would be nice!
Need a few things, hope I can get next week.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2016, 08:15:12 PM »
my guess is that it takes 6-12 months for the shortage to work its way out of the system and prices to return to normal

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2016, 10:22:23 PM »
my guess is that it takes 6-12 months for the shortage to work its way out of the system and prices to return to normal

Hope so, my list is growing still. We have a wounded animal, now ain't the time to change plans or course....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2016, 10:27:10 PM »
Smart guy^

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 09:43:13 PM »
That's why I always keep cash on the side.

I don't have the luxury of having a bunch of funds just laying around waiting on a dip. If I did I would probably spend them on guns or fun..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 12:14:27 AM »
Rofl. That's the same as putting it in the market. Guns are an investment too.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 12:41:13 AM »
I  have tried that statement before. Yes I do need an excuse at times, don't we all? "Just because"doesn't always cut it, here anyway.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 06:54:05 AM »
Yeah. I hear you Bob. I tried convincing her that buying a pre 86 MP5SD converted to 10mm was a good investment. I let you guess what happened.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 09:11:58 AM »
Yeah. I hear you Bob. I tried convincing her that buying a pre 86 MP5SD converted to 10mm was a good investment. I let you guess what happened.

Would have been a fun investment...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 09:43:10 AM »
I used to carry a MP-5SD as my issued weapon for a time.

Nice close in gun

That thing in 10mm, WHOA

Different animal

That would be a bunch of recoil

Oh, and I didn't carry the SD because I wanted to be secret agent cool!

NOSSIR, I carried it because the can on the end prevented one from shooting off their finger (Like a buddy of mine did) with the standard short barrel

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 12:16:28 PM »
Ouch!  Yeah at $30,000 that conversation was pretty short.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 05:51:07 PM »
We used MP40s which were nice. 10m sounds like overkill.

I just found FAL 80% lower in box in my shed. Don't really need more.

I could use more silver, gold is still just out of my range.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal