Hello Guest

Author Topic: Project: "Don't do this at home"  (Read 33093 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Project: "Don't do this at home"
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2016, 10:50:57 PM »
Ha! was wondering if anyone would get it.  Couldnt find it on you tube.

love the part about the dog....gimme the salsa, Bobby....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

OldKooT

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2016, 08:55:21 AM »
It appears another forum I sometimes lurk at is meeting in Moab for some wheeling, beer, good eats and campfire BS over Easter. It's a fullsize truck invasion of the Jeep Safari...

Anyway....my wife seems to thinks we should attend. Which means I assume... that I need a off road ready, cross country drive able rig by early April. Now...I'd almost rather drywall than spend a week surrounded by Jeeps and designer flip flops but....I agreed, because shes very persuasive, to at least consider the concept.

Option #1 Finish the circus wagon project...I'd have to cut some corners in a few places I really don't want to..mostly in the front suspension area. I'd have to resort to some standard issue leafs and bolt them in. VS the coil spring radius arm design I want to use.

Option #2 Swap Patch to a 5speed, put a fresh engine in, and some store bought leaf springs/rubber and go.

Option #3 Grab one of my M37's toss a Magnum 360/518 combo in. Some 1 ton Dodge axles and make it run. Bolt on some 40" rubber and go road tripping. (this appeals to me because it would be like my own personal version of road kill LoL)

Option #4 Anvil is built, locked loaded and brand new... and we drove it 400 miles all year.....too easy.

Circus wagon: This is, and has been a frame up rebuild/restoration to replace Patch. I really dislike the concept of compromise on this build. It would be possible to finish it by April if the weather is decent and I get the house done... so not likely LoL

Patch: Well honestly it's needing some love anyway. But it's also sorta old reliable and has to work for it's keep quite often. I am unsure I want to rock that boat at this point. PLus if we get a snowy season it pull plow duty so that also limits time to work on it/modify.

M37: I have one of the m37's sitting in the shed with a blown engine. It's one of three I own, it's not numbers matching anymore sooo...it would lend it's self to a rebirth as a ratrod wheeler of sorts. The old solider has 9k original miles, no rust and has been sitting in a shed at one location or another since 1953. I got it running two years ago for a parade...the crank broke during a high speed run to dairy queen (45mph) the block is ruined so its just sitting half tore apart.

BTW anyone who would like to attend said event in Moab is welcome...I can't be the only one who could enjoy a little adventure.

So my thoughts today while hanging sheetrock are....which way to go sounds the most fun.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
Moab sounds great, but its during school and I am a taxi for the next few years. Think it is just a day for me from here though.

I like the M37 idea, don't cut corners on a frame off. On the other hand what better place for a DD with patch, it'll be fine.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2016, 05:44:28 PM »
Don has some leaf springs sitting around collecting dog hair...
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2016, 09:37:48 PM »
Don has some leaf springs sitting around collecting dog hair...
Cat hair to be accurate...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »
Well after some careful consideration and measuring.... more discussion with the family it looks like we are going to toss together a 1951 M37. Work won't start until her living/dining room is mostly complete, so hopefully mid January or so. I did order about $1200 worth of parts over the weekend. Mostly weatherstripping and restoration type stuff it needs.

The plan as of now is to rock the OEM 1951 issue paint and patina and concentrate on the making it run/drive aspect of things. So because I like to do things the hard way, here is the first draft plan.

Drag the M37 into the shed....buy some 43" sized rubber. Narrow a Dana 60 front to close to stock M37 Width, and make it all fit together somehow LoL

Keeping with the OEM Military concept of less is better...avoiding modern technology is likely going to be a creed on this build. Think tractor with a license plate.

So really there is no set plan....not even sure I will do a build thread yet...it's time I build a truck that can do what I want and need...I am tired of compromises. The end goal here is to build a daily driver M37 because I want one. And that's the plan...I have about a half dozen Korean War veterans that have been hassling me every time I see one of them to resurrect the old warrior. I mentioned I was considering building it into a daily driver/wheeling machine and they all volunteered to come help LoL  So..guess we are going to do it.

If anything it should be amusing....I will have half the nursing home here drinking beer, smoking cigars, swapping stories and get nothing done probably LoL

There is a back story to this truck I will share...elsewhere on the forum.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
OK, cool

Bring it on!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2016, 10:10:34 AM »
This sounds great. Looking forward to watching...and of course throwing rocks from the sidelines..."ya shoulda done x" or "whatdja do it that way for" you know...just to help.  ::) ;D

OldKooT

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2016, 12:25:09 PM »
 Wilbur.... I am a firm believer in crowd sourced ideas and shared skills. I also am a firm believer in DOT and chaos, so when and if I do a thread on this truck...I expect great things. LoL

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »
Sounds like a fun adventure!  Do it!!! 

OldKooT

« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2016, 02:00:37 PM »
Well while searching for a missing inside corner taping knife in my shelf's full of junk, I took a quick peak at my engine collection.

I forgot I had a 1970 440 police interceptor out there. That got me to thinking I also have a big block pattern 727 with billet shafts and other high zoot parts. It was like Christmas...

So one possibility would be a 440/727 combo...use some 4.56 gears, I wouldn't need a over drive then, and I could toss a Atlas on the back of that 727 and have plenty enough low crawl gearing.... the 440 was pickled so it should be run-able as is actually. Bet I have some Indy heads for that and a few other goodies if desired. I have to admit, something about keeping it all mopar is appealing...

I'd just need to find a used Atlas laying around (should be possible, some Jeep type must have one)

Not made any plans as of yet, but I can't say the 440 idea isn't appealing.

For driving across country the 440 would be less than deal economy wise....a Cummins would fit the bill for that end of things. But the Cummins isn't near as fun off road...so trade offs have to be debated.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2016, 02:59:45 PM »
Cool, another Fluid Change.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2016, 03:41:36 PM »
Can't wait to see it...
Your power plant dilemma has value both ways.
Glad you need to make that decision.
If you're looking for votes, I'd probably sway to the 440 side for the wheeling/drivability side over the economy of the Cummins...but it sure is a trade off.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2016, 04:23:14 PM »
I asked my wife what she thought regarding the engine selection and she said and I quote "A lumpy cammed wedge duh" So shes no help LoL

Maybe I will build a mild stroker 543Cubic inch torque monster. One thing about big inch Mopars is they are no more expensive to build really that a properly done 440cube engine.

But first...I am going to see if that cop engine is in good enough shape to run for a while...if so I can build it with that and sort out the bugs and when satisfied, I can toss a big inch engine in any old weekend really.

My son claims that 727 with like 5000 miles on it ran and worked fine...(I couldn't remember) so...I may just toss it in and see what happens. Worse case deal it will need seals...and a freshening.

I  really want to use the 205 transfer case to faciitate my PTO winch options and a proper drive-line parking brake. So I am thinking gearing axle options. I have a Chevy front 60 or two, a dozen Dodge front 60's and at least two high pinion Ford fronts....so still thinking....while drywalling LoL

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 19, 2016, 10:02:21 PM »
not that you'd need any more ground clearance with 40s.. but i vote ford HP front 60.. esp if it's of the king pin variety. a ford NP 205 can be found about as easily as a SBC, and AA makes a 23 spline female to 31 spline male and clocking ring for the DSD NP205. can kill 2 birds with one stone, well actually 3: higher front pinion (away from those nasty rocks) and a flattened Tcase (maybe tuck it up high enough to clear the bottom of the frame rails for a sweet skid plate) and less front DS angle, which i would imagine would be helpful if you put much lift on it, along with a short 3speed auto..

but i wouldn't argue with an HX30, PPump'd 4bt with some tweaking, an NV4500 and an atlas 4 speed case. geared so low you could drop your umm.. 'beverage' while wheeling, hope out with it in gear, retrieve and re-enter all with 2 steps down the trail..

OldKooT

« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2016, 09:44:43 AM »
I am debating...the 4BT is not an option, who swaps to a smaller engine? LoL

A 6bt could be done....easily actually. And setting the engine back 3" or so from the front axles centerline would do wonders for weight balance. But the Diesels lack of "instant rpm" can be a real hindrance off road at times. That and no room for a inter cooler to speak of really. Not that a 6bt would likely need one.

I think the real trick here is to keep it simple... a 440/727 is almost a bolt in affair. I suppose the simplest solution to the gearing is 4.56 in the axles and 40" rubber. Then a Magnum Box and a 205 would settle any gearing needs off road. Or how about this idea....

Take a  gasser W250 frame/axles and toss the m37 sheetmetal on it. Now we have a complete bolt in engine tranny configuration...likely a weight loss as the M37's frame is HEAVY..we'd have a bolt in rear fuel tank option with the Ramcharger tank....I kinda like that idea...still thinking. I'd have to modify the floor anyway for the married case and newer seating...some dually hubs and a 14 bolt van rear axle I could run H1 wheels narrowing it up a LOT...I may need to get a tape measure out and convince myself this is a bad idea....because it sure sounds like a not all bad idea. Saves me building a steering setup....saves me dealing with axle narrowing....need to measure.

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2016, 10:59:35 AM »
My vote is also for the HP D60. Not so much ground clearance as strength. Running on the actual drive side of the teeth has its advantages as you well know. Also easier to source parts for the GM and Ford from the knuckles out than the Dodge, but again, I'm not tellin you anything you don't already know, or have surplus parts already for that matter ;)
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2016, 12:27:38 PM »
Tate.... I have a 78 Bronco or whats left of it sitting in  my building in Wisconsin. It's got a HP60 front with a quaife and 5.13 gears. It also has a 70 rear with a ARB n 5.13's  I think it also has 17" wheels and some 40" dry rotted old school MTR's, a link front suspension and other OLD mods...think it still has the 460/c6/ORD doubler as well.

I have been thinking about retrieving that hulk of rust and recycling the front axle especially. It's the perfect axle to cut apart and make a high pinion PS drop axle from. I just don't know if I will have room at the height I want to build this to sneak a drive shaft to a HP front on either side. But if I do....likely that's what I will do. If not.....

I can still chuck some Dana 70 gears in a LP 60 via you know who's method, and likely be fine with this trucks planned use.

This truck has Hummer 37" rubber....so 35" and no lift. As you can see my planned 40"ish rubber is not going to require much change in height.

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2016, 01:13:44 PM »
That sounds like a real plan there. And kooky Karl might be pretty out in left field, but he's a good guy ;) Not a bad idea on the 70/60 hybrid option either. definitely help with clearance.

Is that Miss Kay's fastback there in the background?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 01:23:06 PM by EL TATE »

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2016, 01:24:23 PM »
W250/M37 combo doesn't sound horrible. and all the 'modern' suspension/steering stuff exists for it. along with a bolt in rear tank as you mentioned. i think the 440/727/black box/205 would easily work. i'm just thinking fuel mileage/reliability (not that a built 440 would have many issues..). if you're going to just drive it around town.. 440 all the way. but any cross country stuff or anything other than stuff in the bed being towed.. 6bt and 727.

btw.. id swap you a 727/205 from a cummins for a 5 speed and tcase  ;D hahah

OldKooT

« Reply #120 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:20 PM »
Nah Tate that's not our truck....or car. Kay's ride is a 2014 Stang, she went all high tech this go around, it even has seat heaters.

That M37 in the picture is however a big block powered, Narrowed 3.5" Dodge Dana 60 front, and unknown Dana 70HD rear combination. Which works pretty well with the H1 wheels by the looks of it.

The big advantage to keeping the OEM frame/springs, is they are far superior flex wise, than anything Dodge has built since LoL The frame is a "a" frame design which inherently allows a fair amount of un-damaging movement. Add to that some 2" wide 48" long front leaves...it flexes very well. I kid you not, that frame is about 1/4" in thickness material wise.

A 1950's picture of a bone stock M37

Using a W250 frame looks to be doable...I spent a few min with a tape measure...other than needing to slide the front axle forward a few inches it would work. And the obvious need to shorten the back half of the frame.

OldKooT

« Reply #121 on: December 20, 2016, 02:15:58 PM »
LoL... the 6bt ill have the edge in economy most likely. Although I used to get 12mpg at 75mph with a stroker big block in my crew cab...I doubt with this things aero I could do much better than 15 or so with a 6bt.  I don't envision this truck towing...

I have a brand new getrag with like 1200miles on it, and a matching 205. But I'd probably need a kings ransom for that combo because no kidding, but there is a waiting list to buy them. Dodge guys are funny...nuff said LoL

I do have Anvils engine/combo available...all that RC does is sit in the shed and collect dust.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 20, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
'.. shorten the back half of the frame'

read: 'plasma that sucker off and box/splice it back together!' hahaha

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 20, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »
i've heard of this fabled 5speed.. hahaha

i didn't plan on 'taking it away' from you.. simply 'turning it into an auto' lol.

if that's not tempting, i have a 47th and 205 that i'd send that way.. hahah

OldKooT

« Reply #124 on: December 20, 2016, 02:54:27 PM »
I had a fella at a local dyno event recently offer me a fresh new max built, billet shafted 47re for that Getrag LoL  Like I said Dodge guys are funny.

On the farm we don't use a plasma for frames. We use a two man hack saw LoL

I think maybe when time and weather allows I will wheel that M37 into the shed and since it already has the front clip off I will drag the OEM engine out and do some test fitting of the 440 stuff. Today while measuring M37 vs Dodge w250 frame ideas I tripped over a 440/727/205 combo I forgot about. That will make a quick test fitment with the skid loader a 30 min deal.

I suspect a 78-79 Bronco/F-150 steering box would make steering a front 60 very simple. I suspect if I mounted the 440 in the frame with the OEM M37 axes under it....then swap in the front 60 on the OEM springs....and then make it steer, it may be a fairly simple project. The hardest part may be the steering column and wiring. I do have a brand new wiring harness for the 24V system in a box somewhere...tempting.

Anyone have a tubing bender they'd like to sell? I will have to get one for the cage work. My usual cage bender fella up and moved to Nevada on me.

OldKooT

« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2016, 04:13:10 PM »
So.... Pitman arm $85 Fresh F-150 Steering box $525 HD Drag link and tie-rods probably $200 in materials. Steering column and connections to box $100 minimal.

Full Hyd steering $1200 Hmmmmmm Simplicity of design and functionality....priceless.

Which then begs the question... A Dana 60 Dodge front axle is worth like $1200 around here all day long. A 14 Bolt rear axle maybe $150. I have to cut apart the 60 anyway so....

If I bought some brand new tube, did some fab work, why couldn't I build a 14 bolt front axle for the same or less?

Just thinking out loud here...

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2016, 04:18:03 PM »
i suppose a shaved 14 bolt front and rear wouldn't be tooooooo bad  ;D

OldKooT

« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2016, 04:33:46 PM »
I am debating the pro's and Con's  Bottom line I have a few built 60's to choose from. I can always upgrade to the 14 bolt latter. But I have a long standing habit of twisting off Dana 60 Pinions. So...debating.

What I really should do is build a HO72 front because...... well, because a pair of those would be a upgrade over even the 14 Bolt. And you have to love the interchangeability between front and rear axles. Heck carrying a spare drop in would be possible even. It also is more compact...can be shaved even easier. Lighter...you can weld to it anywhere...full trussing is easy. It almost begs to be done.

A Ho72 with RCV axles would be unique LoL  And....I could stress Tate out finding me some affordable bearings LoL

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2016, 04:39:06 PM »
unsure of the HO72. guess i have some reading to do tonight. hahah

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2016, 06:33:18 PM »
unsure of the HO72. guess i have some reading to do tonight. hahah

Precursor to what everyone knows as a 14 bolt, had drop out third like a 9" and more ground clearance than the 14 bolt. Standard 14 bolt disc kit bolts up to axle tube end flanges, can't recall specifics on internals though but seem to think shafts were all originally course spline & believe the 14 bolt ring and pinions etc swap over.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2016, 08:16:12 PM »
Norm, what overall width are you needing (wms to wms)? I was just reviewing this & recalled you wanted to discuss this the other day on a text but I was tied up.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2016, 08:57:43 PM »
did a quick search and it appears some ppl swear by them. did a quick history lesson and it looked like ford bought the rights at one point or another to then design the 9"..? either way.. it looks awesome. if norm has one (like that's even a question) i'm betting he'd go with that. it's more like a post korean built up, period correct off roader..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2016, 10:25:24 PM »
So.... Pitman arm $85 Fresh F-150 Steering box $525 HD Drag link and tie-rods probably $200 in materials. Steering column and connections to box $100 minimal.

Full Hyd steering $1200 Hmmmmmm Simplicity of design and functionality....priceless.

Which then begs the question... A Dana 60 Dodge front axle is worth like $1200 around here all day long. A 14 Bolt rear axle maybe $150. I have to cut apart the 60 anyway so....

If I bought some brand new tube, did some fab work, why couldn't I build a 14 bolt front axle for the same or less?

Just thinking out loud here...

dID ANYONE MENTION THE FACT THAT IN A FRONT AXLE CONFIG, THE 14 BOLT IS MADE TO RUN ON THE WEAK SIDE OF THE GEAR. i CAN'T RECALL THE NUMBERS, BUT RUNNING IT (POWER) TO THE COAST SIDE WAS A PRETTY GOOD NUMBER LESS THAN RUNNING THE GEAR ON THE POWER SIDE.

sO SINCE YOU LOSE STRENGTH AND A LOT OF GROUND CLEARANCE, i'D SAY THE hpd60 IS YOUR BEST BET.

Did I just really type all that with the caps locked?

Well, screw it, I'm leaving it, don't want to retype.

Norm, I have that 1995 F350 HPD60 King pin housing carrier, with 4.56 gears and the forged 35 spline axles. I put that together for the D-Max truck

I guess I have the whole ruff stuff link front suspension sitting there in a box as well. Might help your cause...Let me think about if I might use that for the Dirty-Max truck

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2016, 11:17:10 PM »
Negative, even running on the coast side of the gear the 14 bolt is still stronger than the d-60 as it has the extra pinion support bearing. The 60 under heavy load will allow the pinion to walk the ring gear.

Edit: Norm, he has some ruff stuff parts he wants to sell ya!  ::)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:18:39 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 21, 2016, 11:26:31 PM »
Negative, even running on the coast side of the gear the 14 bolt is still stronger than the d-60 as it has the extra pinion support bearing. The 60 under heavy load will allow the pinion to walk the ring gear.

Edit: Norm, he has some ruff stuff parts he wants to sell ya!  ::)

I half way want to, as Norm would say, "Toss that 60 up under the Chebby."

Yea, it wouldn't make any sense, but I haven't displayed an abundance of good sense for long enough to be consistent for some decades now...

OldKooT

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2016, 12:28:24 AM »
Don your observations regarding the ring gear strength is a serious point to consider no question. That said, the Dana 60's 9.750" ring gear even in a reverse cut application, gives up a lot of strength to say the HO72's 10.125" ring gear.The almost 2" pinion shaft that dwarfs a Dana 60 or a 70, and even the 14 bolt will not fail. A third pinion bearing, a load bolt to stop ring gear deflection, and a fairly ridged steel housing you can weld to almost anywhere.

A drop out third member makes gear swaps a quick fast process. No crush sleeves, just simple brutal 1940's brilliance LoL

I can pick between 4.10 4.57 and 5.14 ratios...I can buy say a 4.57 dropout with a No-spin for $100 Available from 1948-72 they are not at all hard to find in these parts.

If I want I can "modernize" a Ho 72 and drop a 14 bolts Detroit in the carrier, and then use 14 bolt axle shafts in a rear axle application...I can also use 14 Bolt disk brake components....oh and front and rear can be simply shaved to Dana 44 size under the pumpkin.

Now.... Lets say I want to drive this wreck to say Moab and go wheeling. I can run a 4.10 rear third and with my 40" rubber, that old 440 will think it's hauling a old imperial down the hyw. Run some two piece 14bolt rear alloy shafts and I could swap 3rd members to the 5.14 locked set like I have in the front, and go wheeling in a half hour.

No final plan yet....but It's tempting me.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2016, 01:18:20 AM »
Just do the HO. Sounds like the easiest really. I like the 14bt, but drop outs are sweet if you need to swap gears to find that sweet spot.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »
Well this morning I had coffee, which I rarely drink, with a few of the old fellas who want to see the M37 running. One of them has a old 1940's Mil issue stencil set for hood numbers and other stuff. Guess he's dropping it off with my wife latter today...pretty cool of him.

Anyone here want to volunteer to build the wiring harness? This is one aspect I am not looking forward to.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:05 AM »
Well this morning I had coffee, which I rarely drink, with a few of the old fellas who want to see the M37 running. One of them has a old 1940's Mil issue stencil set for hood numbers and other stuff. Guess he's dropping it off with my wife latter today...pretty cool of him.

Anyone here want to volunteer to build the wiring harness? This is one aspect I am not looking forward to.

The guy who sold me the overhead switch panel in SquareD, he's your man if you can convince him to do it. Good fella, up in Mass, I think. I had an issue with his stuff and he flat out took the time to take care of it. Got to know him some on the phone calls. A guru to be sure. So that is a bad lead, I know, but he would be the right man for the job

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2016, 10:10:27 AM »

i will.. for a trans  ;D ;D ;D

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2016, 10:13:17 AM »
but really.. would be kinda cool to work on another old truck. if only i had one around here i could mock up on, it would be much simpler.

OldKooT

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
If I was smart I'd take the OEM Brand new harness I have for a M37 and make it work. But that thing is probably worth $1200
I will put it off tell the very end...and deal with it then LoL (read I will drive it to Moab with alligator clips and jumper wires)

So to recap... I am going to make a list so we can all see how wrong it will all be in the future, should be fun.

Engine: 440ish something...it will have a Wedge of some sort.
Trans: 727
Transfer case: 205... which one is up for debate and discovery.
Axles: No clue yet
Winch:Pto 12K Ramsey wide drum
Rubber: 40 ish something (I might just try those pro comps.. I have heard good things)
Roll Cage: I either buy a bender, or pay someone I trust to build a cage...to be determined.

I must build a snorkel....because well why not. Some old diesel tail pipes and a welder....

I should probably find some fancy seats. If not Kay will tease me it has no seat warmers.

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
Don your observations regarding the ring gear strength is a serious point to consider no question. That said, the Dana 60's 9.750" ring gear even in a reverse cut application, gives up a lot of strength to say the HO72's 10.125" ring gear.The almost 2" pinion shaft that dwarfs a Dana 60 or a 70, and even the 14 bolt will not fail. A third pinion bearing, a load bolt to stop ring gear deflection, and a fairly ridged steel housing you can weld to almost anywhere.

A drop out third member makes gear swaps a quick fast process. No crush sleeves, just simple brutal 1940's brilliance LoL

I can pick between 4.10 4.57 and 5.14 ratios...I can buy say a 4.57 dropout with a No-spin for $100 Available from 1948-72 they are not at all hard to find in these parts.

If I want I can "modernize" a Ho 72 and drop a 14 bolts Detroit in the carrier, and then use 14 bolt axle shafts in a rear axle application...I can also use 14 Bolt disk brake components....oh and front and rear can be simply shaved to Dana 44 size under the pumpkin.

Now.... Lets say I want to drive this wreck to say Moab and go wheeling. I can run a 4.10 rear third and with my 40" rubber, that old 440 will think it's hauling a old imperial down the hyw. Run some two piece 14bolt rear alloy shafts and I could swap 3rd members to the 5.14 locked set like I have in the front, and go wheeling in a half hour.

No final plan yet....but It's tempting me.
You need to talk to Jim Jackson. TORQ DEVELOPMENT CO http://www.torqaxle.com/. HP, as in reverse cut 14t w/ pin support. boom. Scrap that HO72 talk. pin brgs alone would run you upwards of $500.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2016, 06:00:48 PM »
^^^Snorkels and seat warmers!!

Odd as it may seem, I can totally see it!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »
^^^Snorkels and seat warmers!!

Odd as it may seem, I can totally see it!

hey.. the M715.9 has em!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2016, 10:51:46 PM »
OK...Missed the butt heat option somewhere...

OldKooT

« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2016, 01:35:03 PM »
Tate.... Yeah I have eyed those axles up a few times. But given one axle costs more than I intend to invest in this entire project...no can do.

What if I told you I might have a half dozen of those fancy tapered bearings new in the box? I haven't checked the part number yet to be sure mind you...but they were in the same box as the 3 or 4 new ho72 No-Spin's and the Ho72 gasket kits, and shims/carrier bearings...So chances are fair. I really should go through all that NOS stuff I bought.

I may build it with a Dana 60 front at first because it's quick and simple and then refine it latter...right now I am concentrating on the important stuff...600hp or so and windshield wipers which is no small feat getting good wipers on a M37 LoL

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2016, 09:15:46 PM »
at least your priorities are straight  8)

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 03, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Tate.... Yeah I have eyed those axles up a few times. But given one axle costs more than I intend to invest in this entire project...no can do.

What if I told you I might have a half dozen of those fancy tapered bearings new in the box? I haven't checked the part number yet to be sure mind you...but they were in the same box as the 3 or 4 new ho72 No-Spin's and the Ho72 gasket kits, and shims/carrier bearings...So chances are fair. I really should go through all that NOS stuff I bought.

I may build it with a Dana 60 front at first because it's quick and simple and then refine it latter...right now I am concentrating on the important stuff...600hp or so and windshield wipers which is no small feat getting good wipers on a M37 LoL

check the numbers: TK 5519790030 if you do in fact have those, I have several buyers lined up, as well as the no spins.

OldKooT

« Reply #149 on: January 04, 2017, 11:58:09 AM »
Thought I'd toss a few pictures up....Kay's Summer/Fall project

It's most recent photo..As it sits the specs are as follows. 2014 Track Pack Mustang GT...special order option delete car. (read lighter)
The  power train is Boss 302 Engine/cooling/assorted other parts. Engine has been balanced, heads are cnc ported, Comp stage 3cams. It's also got H beam rods, fluid damper, upgraded oil pump/drive, and assorted other goodies. Induction is at present stock Boss, with a Pro charger 8rib running about 7lbs of boost. Injectors/tuning and the like are also all custom, as is the fuel pump and assorted support systems. As tuned, the car can run 91-93 octane or E85 depending on the flash.

The car has a Tremec T56/One piece aluminum driveshaft/dual disc clutch, and a usually broken or failing 3.73 Torsen equipped 8.8.
The front suspension is Bilstein struts/springs and some aftermarket lower control arms, extended ball joints and other tweaks. The rear is Also Bilstein, along with home built lower and upper adjustable control arms.

The car runs Staggered Bridgestones on the street and autocross, and MT drag radials on the rear when prudent. She has two sets of 2008 Shelby wheels she switches between depending what the car is doing.

At present the car is banned from the Drag strip until it gets a cage. If I trusted the 8.8 to handle real slicks (I don't) the car would likely just squeak into the 9's in the 1320 on E85. On street radials and pump gas it's a solid mid 10Sec car.

Next spring she has some long tube headers, off road x pipe to install. A Shelby Super Snake Hood/front bumper and more tuning to do.....along with a 9" rear/watts link combo and likely even larger rubber. Also the cars going to get weld in subframe support and a few other tweaks, as well as some form of daily driver livable cage work.

Her goal was a under $30k Hell cat killer that can corner and drive anywhere. She has easily accomplished her goals so far. As pictured it's been driven over Mountain passes exceeding 12,000ft, driven 900miles, ran 12 back to back grudge races in the 10's and driven home, and hauled grandkids all over LoL ...I'd expect next spring to see some more development, and maybe if I remember, some video and pictures of it in action.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal