Hello Guest

Author Topic: 4L60E transmission issue  (Read 3174 times)

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
4L60E transmission issue
« on: November 28, 2015, 04:19:14 PM »
Hey Guys,

So the head 5.3 on the Adventure Hoe cracked like every 5.3 of that vintage does, adding a liberal amount of coolant to the engine oil. I would have liked to source a 4bt but time was against me as this is my daily driver as well and I needed a fix ASAP. I was able to source a low mile 6.0L from a 2500hd of the same era. Engine swap went just fine. She fired up on the second crank and runs great considering the ECM still thinks it is a 5.3. Drove it around town for about 30 minutes Sunday night. All smiles from me, then Monday morning, she fired right up, backed out of my parking spot and headed to work. Didn't make out of the parking lot. Literally went less than a block and the tranny started slipping like crazy. Was able to limp back to my parking spot at a gentle 3500 rpm. Thought, well, low on trans fluid. Was showing slightly high. Thinking I may have a pump issue.
Took the advice of one of the tranny guys at work and dropped the pan to make sure the filter hadn't fallen out or cracked during the engine change. No such luck. Changed the filter anyway and filled the tranny back up. Seemed to suck the fluid down this time and wound up adding around six quarts (even though the manual said 5 quarts needed for pan r&i). Still no go.
I am so frustrated with this thing right now I can't think. Any ideas as to other probable causes? Things like this are what are keeping me from updating my build thread!
Thanks in advance !
Trev
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 4L60E transmission issue
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:23:44 PM »
Do you have reverse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »
I had a similar issue with my allison.  One of the solenoids were bad and I ended up also needing a manifold pressure switch.

If you don't have access to a scanner, I'd pull the pan and each solenoid and measure the resistance on the coils.  You may find one that is bad.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:33:04 PM »
and check the trans electrical plug for fluid. Unplug it, and it should be spotless.
Pulling the motor also could have disturbed the harness.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:04:55 PM »
No reverse. No manual 3 2 1 either. I would think that even if there was an electrical issue, I would still be able to get the vehicle into gear, just not have auto shift due to the electronic valve body.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 10:26:59 PM »
I had a 4L60E blow up in my truck on my birthday, in my old 08 chev half ton... Super lame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 12:11:28 AM »
There's a pressure control solenoid that can dump line pressure. If it fails, no worky.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 12:48:20 PM »
Hmmm. Thanks Ken. I will look into that. I believe I am going to have the Hoe towed up to work tomorrow. This laying underneath it in 20 degree weather is not all that enjoyable. I will drop the pan and check the solenoid.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 05:51:25 PM »
Good news yet confusing news. I started checking into the solenoids and found that the 30 amp maxi fuse was blown. Swapped that out and she moves now. Had to add more tranny fluid once I got it moving. Strange thing is now there is a major delay in movement between the time you shift it into gears and when the vehicle actually moves. The engine needs to run up to a little over 1000rpm before the trans grabs. I am thinking that there is something going on with the torque converter's drain back valve. Limped it up to work and am going to have the tranny tech check it out.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 04:14:23 AM »
Check the solenoids. I have heard this a few times.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:42:53 AM »
and they are relatively cheap.  I think I gave $26 each for mine at the dealer.

If you find one bad, I would suggest replacing them all while you are in there if you have the means at the time

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal