Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1327988 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #13050 on: September 06, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
It was still hazy up at the ridge. Come home and just flat out nasty outside. 109f with bad quality

Ash? Pool cover off, really messed it up. I have been blowing it off for a week now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13051 on: September 06, 2020, 07:54:31 PM »
Function tested the two new built lowers using the LMT 16 inch upper.  Need to be back further than 25 yards as they left some pretty good pock marks in the steel targets.  Clearing a few more trees to hopefully get a longer range .  50 yards should give me all the CQB stuff I need.  Gonna order some 12x20 targets soon so I can get a better grip on moving and shooting at speed than the 7x10 targets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13052 on: September 06, 2020, 08:09:34 PM »
It was still hazy up at the ridge. Come home and just flat out nasty outside. 109f with bad quality

Ash? Pool cover off, really messed it up. I have been blowing it off for a week now.

I just walked outside, porch and truck are covered with burnt pine needles
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13053 on: September 06, 2020, 10:25:23 PM »

I just walked outside, porch and truck are covered with burnt pine needles
I blame this fire on JR and his state.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13054 on: September 06, 2020, 11:00:49 PM »
If they would address the undergrowth and allow reasonable trimming and harvesting many major fires probably would not occur.

Hear it over an over when utility companies or the forest service (fed and state) want to address overgrowth, they stopped by the wonderful sierra club and such.

Fires will happen, be nice if someone learned something from them.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13055 on: September 06, 2020, 11:08:46 PM »
We watched last night here in ogden, last night was crystal clear. Mars was next to the moon,  woke up to the Mt gone again and soot everywhere on everything. 

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13056 on: September 07, 2020, 01:10:46 PM »
Spent the weekend with family at the river.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13057 on: September 07, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »
How long to haul that in?

Who's happier, kids or dad with beer??

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13058 on: September 07, 2020, 04:59:00 PM »
Jon, a big ole corn fed boy like yourself, just might need a few more of those, if you don't wanna starve to death.

Just a pic of our new camp/buddies new property, overlooking Young,  Arizona. Hotter than heck this year, and very dusty because of the lack of rain.

If anyone's interested in reading history, check out the Pleasant Valley wars. Worse than the Hatfield and Mccoy fighting, and it was centered around the valley in the back of this pick. Wild stuff.

This was my retirement dream area before we bought in Idaho. 30 miles of dirt road to get there and everyone waves when you drive by. Awesome area in bfe.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:22:12 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13059 on: September 07, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
Looks familiar.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13060 on: September 07, 2020, 07:09:20 PM »
Smoke blowing in to the Portland area now as well. Sun has a red tint to it and it smells like campfire. Must be what Mars is like.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13061 on: September 07, 2020, 09:15:22 PM »
Took the CanAm up to inspiration point by willard peak today

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13062 on: September 08, 2020, 09:06:05 AM »
We have had news warnings all day yesterday of this massive 65mph + winds in northern Utah

Who’s insurance picks up the tab when the stupid neighbors trampoline hits my enclosed trailer?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13063 on: September 08, 2020, 12:01:52 PM »

Some fast photos of the local damage on my way to the office

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13064 on: September 08, 2020, 01:51:16 PM »
And theres 2 fires south of you isnt there?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13065 on: September 08, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
Yea you guys will get a little frost. That will kill the  bugs off.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Good, I have some wasp nests to knock down anyhow. Little buggers keep coming back, don’t think the raid is working very well anymore.
Use brake cleaner...We call it "bee cleaner or spider cleaner"
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: September 08, 2020, 03:08:11 PM »
Guys, it is down right nasty here. Windy with a red glow on everything, like a movie set.

Heat not as bad today, but was around 110 yesterday.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: September 08, 2020, 03:24:25 PM »
Memorial day at the farm

Started cutting grass with the zero turn. Grass was so thick I overworked the thing and it shucked a tension spring on the belt

So, on to the tractor. Amazingly, it started. Fired up the bush hog and got a couple acres done before the engine hot light came on. Idled down, opened the hood and removed a ton of stuff from the cooling stack...temp came back down.

But

The hydraulics was acting like I was low on fluid. Checked that, but I was actually a bit over full. But instead of loader smoothly raising, it was ratcheting and jerking up...hmmm

Hot light back on...

I am thinking the hydraulic fluid is foaming so I put that thing to bed. Hey it's a John Deere and I got two to three acres cut so it was a better than normal day.

I let it sit and stated it up at night. Hydraulics back to normal. Nothing really wrong, it's just a John Deere. A machine heavily advertised to be able to handle being run hard, but in actuality can hardly run at all.

Came back to discover the wife's little dog has run off. A significant note here is that I am the one who brought the dog down...Do the math.

Ate a poorly cooked dry, seasonless burger then join the hunt for the missing mutt. Eventually they all go home, but I get to spend the night...all night

Plenty of every 20-30 minute calls, "Find her yet?" "No honey not yet but I ran into a wasp nest and they stung me all up." Oh, well, just keep looking..." Me: "I think I'll be OK, but have been hit a bunch of times and Im all itchy." "OK, just keep looking, then trailing off to whimpering..."

All night: Up and down trying to sleep, but going out often yelling her name. Plenty of coaching calls from the wife. "Put this here, do this there, turn on the lights, turn off the lights...(Still her:)I'm calling the K9( people to see if they can get a tracking dog out there by sunrise...)

THe madness continues, until I pass out from fatigue. 0800, I walk outside and the little demon thing is sitting there with every cockle-burr and hithchiker seed from two counties covering here and a thick layer of mud and goo all over that. I can only really see her eyes, the rest could just be a melted candle that rolled on a charred carpet that was covered by dead flies.

We (Me and pre-ranger) wash and wash, and wash, then rinse and wash, and rinse and so it goes for some time.

We get it into the truck where she shakes off another three pounds of mud all over. No worries, I have a pistol, but can't decide whether to shoot the mutt or use the thing on myself.

We come home. Wife can't even see me and the boy, but runs to the mutt like it was her husband just released from a japanese internment camp for the past four years. She says something then leaves with the demon thing in tow off to find a groomer.

Along the way, discovered mice got into my food stash and chewed a hole in my comforter. The water shed door somehow blew open but that's OK only one tank of water turned green...The one attached to the camper.

Note: Showering in green water will still get you clean.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 03:30:10 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: September 08, 2020, 04:00:12 PM »
I put all my food in cooler at the ridge. Caught the little pack rat that was trying to get in in a live trap. He died about an hour later, think he blew his heart out.

Kub has been running a little warm in 100f weather so not really concerned as it cools with lower rpm and not working the hydro so hard.

Glad the dog is back, I feel you bringing him home everyday here.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: September 09, 2020, 01:45:48 PM »
Blew a spark plug out of head on the excursion v10 yesterday down east of Denver.

Just finishing up the 8.8 tj axle swap and refresh of the steering / suspension. Going to do gear break in this afternoon. Took my youngest to take her drivers license and currently waiting for that to happen. Potential milestone will have passed after today. Two more years and all three kids will be adults.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:10:58 AM by Nate »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: September 09, 2020, 06:38:13 PM »
How does that happen?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: September 09, 2020, 07:33:12 PM »
Must be a Furd thing...
Ryan

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:10 PM »
I have been told the V10 Ford have a common problem of shooting spark plugs out of the heads taking the threads with them

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: September 09, 2020, 07:53:48 PM »
It’s all them Horse Pressures that v10 haz

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13074 on: September 09, 2020, 08:09:17 PM »
You mean horseytorques? :)
Ryan

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: September 09, 2020, 08:47:44 PM »
All the triton motors have done that. Think they addressed it some but it still happens.

Was cooler today, but looked like mars outside. Littlary red but doesn't show in pics. Blew ash off of everything, ticked as I spent about 3 hours cleaning the pool yesterday.

Got parts for changing the small garage opener, another project here. Kids locked up the old one thinking it was fun to lift the door when opening. I left it locked for the last couple years over that.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13076 on: September 09, 2020, 08:57:59 PM »
How does that happen?

In a nutshell those motors have aluminum heads (overhead cam setup). The casting where the plugs screw in is thin, you get about 4 full threads. Piss poor design has some spark plug threads stuck in the combustion chamber. So carbon can and will build up on plug threads. Changing plugs can gall threads then and make it easy for new plugs to work lose. I thought it was an exhaust leak (another known issue with those oem manifolds) until it blew out......

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13077 on: September 09, 2020, 09:08:12 PM »
You mean horseytorques? :)
Nope HP means Horse Pressure

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: September 09, 2020, 09:09:53 PM »
How does that happen?

In a nutshell those motors have aluminum heads (overhead cam setup). The casting where the plugs screw in is thin, you get about 4 full threads. Piss poor design has some spark plug threads stuck in the combustion chamber. So carbon can and will build up on plug threads. Changing plugs can gall threads then and make it easy for new plugs to work lose. I thought it was an exhaust leak (another known issue with those oem manifolds) until it blew out......
Moral of the story? Don’t replace the spark plugs?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: September 09, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
Meh, I’ve put 25k on this truck in last year and a half. It’s my parts hauler and gets neglected some, reason I drive a 19 year old truck. So I had it towed to my buddies shop down the street. He sent me axle work and as busy as I am currently it just made sense. He calls me and asked when the plugs were changed last? I told him idk but check every plug and it they need it toss in helicoils for all ten. The fix is to helicoil them with a loctite epoxy. I’ve also had a rear ujoint going out for awhile now and told him to address that too.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13080 on: September 09, 2020, 10:28:48 PM »

Moral of the story? Don’t replace the spark plugs?

Moral is get a truck that doesn’t require spark plugs (and costs 4 times more to fix when it breaks down)! :)
Ryan

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13081 on: September 09, 2020, 10:30:50 PM »
Inserts Shawn. Don't use helicoils on those. They won't last.
Besides the lousy 3-4 thread issue, the factory torque is only 14lbs iirc. Torque them to 25 and they won't blow out. To this day they still haven't updated the torque numbers at the blue oval.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13082 on: September 09, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »
Besides the lousy 3-4 thread issue, the factory torque is only 14lbs iirc. Torque them to 25 and they won't blow out. To this day they still haven't updated the torque numbers at the blue oval.

Buddy said there was a kit to fix them properly, he’s done them before. Helicoil was my hippy slang term Ken.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13083 on: September 09, 2020, 10:50:49 PM »
One more reason why I always change plugs on new vehicles at about 40-50k regardless of what the “service interval” says. Then I coat them with anti seize to make sure they don’t yank out threads when they are changed later.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13084 on: September 09, 2020, 11:10:30 PM »
One more reason why I always change plugs on new vehicles at about 40-50k regardless of what the “service interval” says. Then I coat them with anti seize to make sure they don’t yank out threads when they are changed later.

Wouldn’t matter in this case Charles. The exposed threads in the combustion chamber get gummed up with carbon. So yeah your antiseeze on the threads in head will not gall up but once you start backing the plug out those gummed up exposed threads will still jack up the threads in the head.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:11:13 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13085 on: September 10, 2020, 01:08:38 AM »
Just did a full oil change on the Dmax. Right at 200k so why not start out right. Was due for oil anyway and fuel was close.

I am getting a 087 (fuel pressure) on it time to time. Heavy towing once and passing twice now. I don't think the Kennedy Lift is running at all, normal fuel pressures seem OK. Looking at the Airdog Raptor 150 as I already have a filter down there. (both filters looked great) I think a few guys have had issues with FASS, what do you think about the Dog?

I see there is a CP3 tune up kit too, is that worth the $$$ or just do that with the pump if it goes that way?

Yes, the air filter was in bad shape with the fires. Glad I have a pre filter sock.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 03:06:29 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13086 on: September 10, 2020, 07:21:56 AM »
My Fass pump didn't last a year and no warranty because I didn't send in the little card. Even though I had the receipt and work order from when the shop installed it.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13087 on: September 10, 2020, 09:03:16 AM »
so yesterday after sitting at the office all day, i come home and found some Illinois filth sitting on my front porch begging for some food.  and i thought Commiefornia was bad with their cockroach filth exodus????

i did feel bad for the skinny bastard, so i fed him a big arse ribeye, some home canned corn and a baked tater!  his did redeem himself with some makers 46 cask strength!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13088 on: September 10, 2020, 09:46:53 AM »

Buddy said there was a kit to fix them properly, he’s done them before. Helicoil was my hippy slang term Ken.
Yeah, well there's several different kits out there, including helicoils. Just saying that there's only one that Ford approves of...the inserts are like $34 each on the tool truck and copies on line are $10 each. They all work, at least short term. Best long term fix is to buy a Chevy.
Edit... second best is a ppump

Is that a Micheal sighting? Wth?
So any skinny guy can just drop by and you'll spoil them? I'm very skinny BTW
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 09:50:52 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13089 on: September 10, 2020, 10:26:34 AM »
Nate, he talk about Cudas? Still drivin' a white D-Max?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13090 on: September 10, 2020, 10:32:40 AM »

Yeah, well there's several different kits out there, including helicoils. Just saying that there's only one that Ford approves of...the inserts are like $34 each on the tool truck and copies on line are $10 each. They all work, at least short term. Best long term fix is to buy a Chevy.

come on by ken!

yep, still got it along with a 40'gorse trailer with living quarters.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13091 on: September 10, 2020, 10:37:30 AM »
Jr,  your low fuel pressure doesn’t always mean pump, your tuning could be calling for more fuel then pump or cp3 can provide,  mine does it at WOT everyone and again.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13092 on: September 10, 2020, 10:59:37 AM »

come on by ken!

yep, still got it along with a 40'gorse trailer with living quarters.
Whoa, 40 footer! He had a nice camper behind the truck when he was at the farm.
Mikey, when are you coming down for another visit?
Bring Nate with ya!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13093 on: September 10, 2020, 02:09:06 PM »
Jr,  your low fuel pressure doesn’t always mean pump, your tuning could be calling for more fuel then pump or cp3 can provide,  mine does it at WOT everyone and again.

Mine is doing it with passing and towing. Going into limp when towing is no fun, you can't always pic a place to stop!

I am tuned around 500. Hoping a good lift pump will help that. Otherwise thinking of a 30 over pump.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13094 on: September 10, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »
Pretty easy to test I think. Ken keep me honest here. A tech ii to command full pressure at idle and then see if it can hit the pressure.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13095 on: September 10, 2020, 03:52:14 PM »
I have a CTS to monitor, but not a tech II. Pressures look ok until a good load.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13096 on: September 10, 2020, 05:43:29 PM »
hey JR, before you get too carried away with lift pumps and and cp3's, have you ever replaced the pressure sensor valve that is at the back of the driverside fuel rail?  another thing to look for/at...is the rubber hoses that run from the tank up to the fuel filter housing assembly.  they are notorious for going bad and collapsing under pressure.  if i remember correctly, its mainly the ones that are right around the engine trans connection area.

i am saying this because my LBZ was doing the same thing that you are talking about, and because i let it go on for a long enough time it actually caused my cp3 to fail. 

what actually caused it all to happen in the first place was a pinched fuel line from when i had the 52gal titan tank put in.  and my truck was 9 years old at that time and had never had the rubber lines underneath replaced and because the line was pinched it inadvertently caused the cp3 to go bad because it was having to suck harder to get the required amount of fuel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13097 on: September 10, 2020, 07:44:50 PM »
JR as I recall you had a couple of those lower cost Kennedy pumps, right?

Get a real/big lift pump. I used the air dog 165, broke three of them, just junk IMO. Got a Fass 150 which has worked perfectly since new.

I'd bet you aren't getting enough clean bubble free fuel for the CP3 to suck up.

And Nate has a good point. Next up is a new CP3 if you don't fix this pdq.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13098 on: September 10, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »
I replaced all the lines cept the ones coming up from the cooler. They look fine, but will look again.

I have not checked or replaced the pressure valve on the rail, I have one from PPE.

I believe my little kennedy pump is shot. Lost it when the BCM went bad. Have tried to run it but no good it seems. Just a 3-4psi and I am tuned so thinking a better pump is in order now.

The filter head is good though. Didn't put fuel in either filter and it pumped up fine after a hundred pumps or so. I have a 15mcn by the pump and a 2mcr up top with new lines (when I did the tank and pump)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13099 on: September 10, 2020, 08:21:41 PM »
Iv not had any issues with my fass,  I think 8 years now.   I may look at a replacement or rebuild kit but otherwise happy with it and customer service

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal