Hello Guest

Author Topic: Chinooks  (Read 74636 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Chinooks
« Reply #550 on: March 02, 2022, 11:12:33 PM »
https://www.fox13now.com/news/local-news/recovery-operation-to-remove-utah-national-guard-helicopters-from-mountain-underway

The videos of the blackhawks crashing at snowbird can be found on YouTube

Interesting to get your thoughts Don on the why and what went wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2022, 09:51:13 PM »
First. I do not know the specifics of the accidents.
Next I would ask at what altitude did the crashes occur?
Was there snow on the ground...blowing snow as in creating a "white-out" condition.
Any of that could lead to different sorts of crashes
Now, I just happen to be a high altitude mountain flying rotary-wing instructor pilot,
so I have a direction I would go if I didn't know the circumstances of the crash. I would go to a loss of tail rotor effectiveness due to higher density altitude. In Afghanistan Blackhawks did not do well at high altitudes. It takes a lot of horsepower to drive those tail rotors which counter the torque that drives the main rotor. If the tail rotor was not there the fuselage would want to rotate opposite the rotation of the rotor. Now as you get higher and higher, two things start happening. First, the engines produce less power. Next, the rotor blades and tail rotor blades become less effective. So let's say you set up for an approach to a pad at high altitude. The aircraft is likely operating at the very top end of its available power. You are fighting winds and turbulence and say, on short final you get a good buffet or the wind reverses. Just like that you need to pull more power...power that is not there and the Rotor RPM droops. the resulting loss of lift pancakes you faster than you can say Biden's a loser.
Next thing that happens is some Chinook comes along to lift the busted bird off the mountain side.
A Chinook, in contrast to a black hawk has a huge abundance of power. It can hover at maximum gross weight out of ground effect at 10,000 feet at 95F!!! I don't think any other helo on the planet has that much power. It is a beast and no tail rotor to counter torque because both rotors turn in opposite directions cancelling out torque effect.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 04, 2022, 07:48:30 AM »
I guess I had never thought of the torque and didn’t of course know the chinooks rotated in different directions
 Interesting

I’ll send ya some video of it crashing if I can find them

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 04, 2022, 07:49:08 AM »
https://youtu.be/mQg9Ev9SEFA

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 04, 2022, 09:24:13 AM »
That's pretty obvious...

Whiteout conditions where the sky and ground all look exactly the same so the pilot cannot tell where the ground actually is.

Chalk 2 landed into the building snow cloud from lead (Big No-no) and instead of going around/aborting the landing continued to press it. He got all discombobulated (Aviation term for this ;-) and either landed hard or contacted the ground with the main rotors which is also a no-no.

Lead had his own problem as he also pressed the landing and you san see that he was chasing the snow cloud. Notice that he makes his approach to the middle of that open area but ends up crashed after striking the trees to his left. My theory: The pilot flying is not that experienced. He gets into this white bubble and as the snow cloud accelerates away from him, he chases after it trying to make something stay still long enough to land. He created his own visual illusion.

Commentary: I think there are several things going on here. It seems these guys are either young and inexperienced or they are like national guard guys who fly jets during the week, then get a weekend a month in the Blackhawk because nothing I see here tells me they are experienced. Had I been flight lead, I would have picked a suitable landing site not too far from the trees so I had some sort of visual reference. I would have instructed chalk two to orbit until I radioed that I was safely down. Now if the snow cloud built like I saw in the pic, chances are good that I would have climbed straight out and circled around to do it all again. I'd give it two good trys and if I couldn't get in, then I simply would not land there.

Assuming I did get down, I'd have to think about the recent snow landing experience of the pilots in chalk-2. If I thought they were strong I'd have them attempt to come in. Same same, give them two chances, then wave them off too.

Now I have to wonder why they were landing to a ski resort slope in the first place? A real mission or just showing off for their girls, families or just plain showing off? Show-boating has caused the majority of peacetime accidents. Don't believe me, goggle air show accidents and you'll read about some doozies.

In any event, never good to lose and aircraft/crewman. Just a downer.

I trained my guys hard. For example, over in Afghanistan we would go out 2-3x a week doing NVG desert brown out landings into gigantic dust clouds and also have them land to mountain top ridges at night using NVG. Probably why half my hair has fallen out and the rest is white...BUT, I am still here, and didn't crash when they weren't shooting at me!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 09:25:53 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: March 04, 2022, 09:45:47 AM »
I read the chapter in your book last eve about your test flight ( I think test flight is what ya called it) where you had the pilot go through a number of planned errors and the two motors ran away on the barley flying machine. The hard landing after spinning around and around down the runway.   

The reason Don has such grey hair lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 04, 2022, 10:54:10 AM »
I read the chapter in your book last eve about your test flight ( I think test flight is what ya called it) where you had the pilot go through a number of planned errors and the two motors ran away on the barley flying machine. The hard landing after spinning around and around down the runway.   

The reason Don has such grey hair lol

That was a check ride. I was giving that pilot his annual flight evaluation. It was the very end of the flight. He was on final to a runway terminating from an instrument approach when all hades broke lose. That was "Wild Ride" right?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 04, 2022, 11:42:50 AM »
I know this is not a hook video, but I figured this would give Dave some idea of what active duty pilots do and go through.

the hawk you see in the video was piloted by my old brigade commander when she was the battalion commander of 2nd battalion 82 aviation regiment from Fort Bragg.  Colonel (Ret) Carey Wagen.  during the time of this video, she was the first female aviation task force commander in the army and conducting operations in Afghanistan.  the mission that was being conducted in this video was an extraction of special forces from a mountain top (literally).  at the conclusion of this mission, she was heavily praised by the SF community for her skill.

correct me if I am wrong don, but very few pilots ever get training and have the stones big enough to actually execute this? let along the ability to control their aircraft on a point with that much updraft coming from multiple angles?

https://youtu.be/APIpPijMy5k

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 04, 2022, 12:34:05 PM »
I know this is not a hook video, but I figured this would give Dave some idea of what active duty pilots do and go through.

the hawk you see in the video was piloted by my old brigade commander when she was the battalion commander of 2nd battalion 82 aviation regiment from Fort Bragg.  Colonel (Ret) Carey Wagen.  during the time of this video, she was the first female aviation task force commander in the army and conducting operations in Afghanistan.  the mission that was being conducted in this video was an extraction of special forces from a mountain top (literally).  at the conclusion of this mission, she was heavily praised by the SF community for her skill.

correct me if I am wrong don, but very few pilots ever get training and have the stones big enough to actually execute this? let along the ability to control their aircraft on a point with that much updraft coming from multiple angles?

https://youtu.be/APIpPijMy5k

That's a tricky one to be sure. She did a one wheel landing and had to hold that position for a few minutes. Must not have been a very windy/gusty day.
Peaks and ridgelines make for a lot of turbulence and causes the wind to be all tricky. You can't see all the eddys. One second you have a headwind then fifteen seconds later a quartering tailwind.

It is true to say not all pilots can do that sort of thing. Most could on a good day. But do that at night/NVG in windy conditions and the group of folks that could pull that off gets pretty small. I think most Army pilots were pretty good, just inexperienced. I had like 7,000 hours when I left the Army after 20+ years of flying there and I was one of the high time pilots.

Lather when I was lead pilot for guys in Afghanistan, we all had 10,000-15,000 hours. A very experienced Army pilot during those days had maybe 4,000 hours. Although he was at the very top of his game, he was way down the totem pole from my pilots. So far down that if I hired one, I'd have to start him off in something like a Huey and fly him for a couple years just to get to the point where he would be a decent co-pilot.

Army pilots in combat would get something like 70 hours a month. My guys could get over 200 hours in the same length of time. The Army considers its pilots as general purpose officers. Primary job is to fly but they also have massive extra duties like being the supply officer, POL officer, motor officer and other full time jobs. By contrast the Special Operations community does not practice that nonsense but keeps pilots in the cockpits. That's the reason they can do so much more. Now that I have retired, I think the Army model for raising up pilots is mostly wrong, is antiquated, way-way too safety conscious and is more focused on making everyone infantrymen and seem embarrassed that their officers actually fly. Just my opinion...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 12:38:10 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 04, 2022, 02:17:44 PM »
Can you land a helicopter on a slope?

That video looks intense for sure!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 04, 2022, 02:20:04 PM »
Can you land a helicopter on a slope?

That video looks intense for sure!!

You can, but for some helos, not much of one. A Cobra, for example was limited to something like 7 degrees. Something like a Hawk or a hook can take 20 degrees if conditions are right

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 05, 2022, 09:14:11 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60630352

Not a
Chinook but not a DOT

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-europe-60630352

Not a
Chinook but not a DOT

Part of me is yelling YIPPEE
Another part hates to see men killed
Those guys had mommas/wifes/sons/daughters too

That was a stinger hit I think, although smoky trail may point to Sa-7

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2022, 01:03:36 PM »
Agreed. I blame the mad man at the helm of Russia

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 20, 2022, 03:59:51 PM »
Back to a couple of pics

The pics of the thing they are unfolding and hooking to the aircraft is called a "Bambi-Bucket." It holds 1710 gallons of water max, but we use vents to keep it at 1500 gallons or 12,000 lbs of the wet stuff. 12K is starting to get heavy for a Chinook, but it can lift nearly three tons more. A really good load is over 17,000 lbs!

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 21, 2022, 07:01:11 PM »
I've seen those used on some of the wild fires around here. That is a bunch of water

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 03, 2022, 09:51:16 AM »
Let's do some more pics:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 03, 2022, 09:54:15 AM »
^^^^ Btw, max nose down attitude is 30 degrees. I think you can add another 30 to the one above...Brits, always screwin' around!

Jumpers are golden knights. Jumped them a bunch of times myself over at Bragg

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 03, 2022, 05:23:26 PM »
Which country did I just read about that placed a huge order for hooks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 03, 2022, 06:02:33 PM »
Which country did I just read about that placed a huge order for hooks?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Germany is the latest to add them to their Luftwaffe. Borrowing from the US Army mission specific MH-47 of the 160th, they, too, will aerial refuel from their C-160 Transals and have unlimited range.
The hook simply has no competition, none. Other aircraft can lift more, but they need an extra engine or are huge like the CH-53E. I only expect this airframe to continue and will easily serve 100 years or more. First flew in the late 50's, operational in the early 60's!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:12:14 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 03, 2022, 06:06:12 PM »
some more

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 03, 2022, 06:09:16 PM »
At times I also show pics hinting at the military culture and lifestyle.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 03, 2022, 06:15:08 PM »
A little art and entertainment for the right-brain types

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 03, 2022, 06:17:57 PM »
It can "Wheelie"

and

Roll over and play dead!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 19, 2022, 02:30:21 PM »
Recently watched 12 Strong on Netflix. Days after 9/11 the guys that went in on horseback! that had so much Chinook footage in it you MUST have known some of them. MIGHT have just been for the movie but they had one over 50K ft??
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 19, 2022, 04:07:29 PM »
Recently watched 12 Strong on Netflix. Days after 9/11 the guys that went in on horseback! that had so much Chinook footage in it you MUST have known some of them. MIGHT have just been for the movie but they had one over 50K ft??
They said they flew it to 25,000. So service ceiling is 20,000 for the airframe based on a pressure differential in the flight boost hydraulics, I recall. The engines will continue to produce some good power, but the blades started getting in trouble, due to a phenomena called "Retreating blade stall"

As far as knowing those guys, yea I probably do know some of them personally, but that has been some years since I flew with them. But that was my old unit, exclusively. And the Hook shots were the actual aircraft in that unit.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2022, 04:09:43 PM »
let's look at some more shots of these big ole beauties

I remember the day that mushroom cloud formed. I was on the other side of the runway a little closer to it. I don't think it was "Incoming" but some engineers blowing up a lot of stuff. That's a big one!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 04:32:32 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2022, 04:27:14 PM »
I have other pics of this in this thread somewhere.

Sergeant Deetman was once a young private who crewed for me many times. I think he was a Staff Sergeant, E-6 when I left the Night Stalkers to find my way back into the regular Armee, then on to retirement.

Anyway, old Deetman performed well and was a rapid climber. It wasn't long before he had his own aircraft as a young sergeant with his own private or specialist working for him. Well, Brian could be pretty tough on folks, so I guess one of them decided to vocalize his opinion. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying anything bad about Brian, No, he was a really terrific CH-47 Flight Engineer. But one day someone wrote the now famous "Deetman Sucks" in the "F-U" compartment and of course, everyone noticed during the many preflights that aircraft had over the years. So, the thing spread, literally all over. There were parts and boxes of food delivered to soldiers worldwide with the familiar "Deetman Sucks" stamp. There were "Deetman Sucks" rockets fired at bad guys on a couple of continents and right next to the "Hanoi-Jane Urinal targets, you might find a "Deetman Sucks!"

It turned up in every Night Stalker aircraft and also some Marine and Air force planes.

This is funny because some of the earlier Night Stalker airframes were mothballed since the unit was flying them so hard they were going through Chinooks faster than Dave here goes through Chevy trucks. I guess, long after the man retired, someone pulled one of those aircraft out of storage and dropped the big fuel tanks on its side for some serious maintenance. Right there where no man would ever look, always waiting the repercussions of pissing off one private from long ago can still be seen.

So funny!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2022, 04:28:43 PM »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2022, 04:34:21 PM »
And one more post:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:27 PM »
Even had his own stencil, popular.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 19, 2022, 04:35:53 PM »
Even had his own stencil, popular.
Wasn't his...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 31, 2022, 06:29:33 PM »
Got some more:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 31, 2022, 06:31:49 PM »
Pic number two.
Is that anawhetoc?
That was the island chain where we detonated a bunch of surface nuclear weapons.
That dark blue circle looks like the site of a prior nuclear detonation. It matches the description other Army pilots told me about who flew down there.
Kirk, a great friend of mine said he didn't realize what he was looking at until he climbed up one day and saw a perfect dark circle meaning water deeper than a hundred-150 feet I think he said. He could see it clearly and they later told him it was the site of either the first or a subsequent hydrogen bomb detonation that blew the island into two separate islands.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:38:12 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: July 31, 2022, 06:40:07 PM »
Here's a couple more for todays installment:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: July 31, 2022, 06:45:51 PM »
A blast from the past and a salute to my brothers from an earlier generation

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 04, 2022, 10:58:53 AM »
Loaded up some more hook pics:

I'm pretty sure that first pic has the hook flying by the site of America's first hydrogen bomb detonation
« Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 10:59:59 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 04, 2022, 01:45:05 PM »
 :likebutton:

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 30, 2022, 05:29:51 PM »
Always adding hook pics

Actually did that second one during the Panama invasion/operation. The second or third night insertion on north end of the canal
« Last Edit: August 30, 2022, 05:31:20 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 30, 2022, 10:38:58 PM »
Heard they ground them all. Something about non spec orings used for engine rebuilds causing fires.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 31, 2022, 09:00:51 AM »
Heard they ground them all. Something about non spec orings used for engine rebuilds causing fires.
The Chinese flood the military market with counterfeit parts a few years back. They even had government contract info on the package.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 31, 2022, 09:10:24 AM »
True, the entire fleet is currently grounded pending repairs, apparently, of every engine out there.

I've been there before. A transmission issue caused the D-model fleet to be grounded for about 6-9 months. But for we special ops guys, although the fleet was grounded, we were the first to get the mini-teardown and inspection to ensure that little widget in the planetary gearset was tucked in all cozy like it was designed to be. Big Armee was a desert for Hook pilots.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 31, 2022, 03:15:13 PM »
Think they grounded all the UH-1s a few years back over some head wear, few more of them but mostly civi now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 31, 2022, 10:58:35 PM »
Think they grounded all the UH-1s a few years back over some head wear, few more of them but mostly civi now.
Not Armee Hueys. We put them out to pasture in the mid 1990's

Funny how ever since then we needed a helicopter about the size of a Huey...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 31, 2022, 11:21:58 PM »

Dont be too quick to say that, as the uh-1's are still used in whitesands
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 01, 2022, 11:34:07 AM »

Fleetwide, the UH-1H has been discontinued
THere are still a couple to be found, but there is no flight school, Instructor pilot course or MOS progression that supports that airframe. Some gov't agencies purchased SuperHueys like the ones I flew in Kandahar and Kabul, but as far as a saturation or concentration of Huey airframes, no.
The Army operates all sorts of aircraft that are not really on the books. I bet if I looked hard enough, I could find a US Army B-747 pilot. We fly a ton of different airframes, believe me!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 01, 2022, 12:26:07 PM »

Fleetwide, the UH-1H has been discontinued
THere are still a couple to be found, but there is no flight school, Instructor pilot course or MOS progression that supports that airframe. Some gov't agencies purchased SuperHueys like the ones I flew in Kandahar and Kabul, but as far as a saturation or concentration of Huey airframes, no.
The Army operates all sorts of aircraft that are not really on the books. I bet if I looked hard enough, I could find a US Army B-747 pilot. We fly a ton of different airframes, believe me!

oh i believe you 100%.  i was informed last night that WSMR has stopped usage of their uh-1's and have moved everything to the catfish.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 01, 2022, 04:35:32 PM »
The super Huey is no joke. 130 knots, 11,500 MGWT. If you can close the doors on it, the aircraft can just about lift it. I was flying mine over 12,000 feet in the stan routinely...And they can take a beating!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: October 03, 2022, 05:02:24 PM »
A few more

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 24, 2022, 11:39:56 PM »
Merry Christmas, 2022
Sponsored by the best helicopter ever built, proudly serving our nation now for sixty-odd years!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal