Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1382976 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #17900 on: November 02, 2022, 11:41:19 PM »
It snowed like crazy here today, roads are clear now though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17901 on: November 03, 2022, 02:56:49 AM »
Do you get wind advisories there Dave? They close 395 to vehicles over 9ft in Nv all the time.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17902 on: November 03, 2022, 07:02:10 AM »
We have in the past jr but not this year that I have been shut down for

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17903 on: November 03, 2022, 09:26:17 AM »
We’re entering day two of the liberal crime family’s fear monger media blizzard.

A whole 8-10 inches.
Can’t imagine how they treat real mountain snowstorms these days.

Winter is here however.
I’m off next week. Was supposed to be for white tails but plans have changed.
Mama broke a foot again, so other priorities.

I expect I’ll be walking across the lake by next weekend.
Water temp at 34-35* now.
+5 - 0* in the next week.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #17904 on: November 04, 2022, 12:33:45 PM »
How's the back doing Chief?

Winter update.
It's here...
Got the 8-10 inches they forecast, additionally some freezing rain in the middle yesterday afternoon.

Doesn’t show well here.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 12:34:53 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17905 on: November 04, 2022, 06:06:23 PM »

Had to go to Spokane and pickup eldest daughter from airport for a weekend visit. Forgot the hour time difference and ended there an hour early so I stopped by Nicks Boots where I’ve had an order with for several months. Looks to be another dozen weeks yet however I did get to actually try a set on.

I originally was fitted (measured) at a shoe store in Ft Collins, co but did not get to try them on. All I can say is I’m stoked about these after having a set on for ten minutes.

For what I paid though I’ll need to be buried in them. In all reality I destroy a set of boots on average every six months or so. Those mass produced boots of low quality run maybe $200. So my thinking is if these Nicks boots last a year and a half which is easily doable then I’ll break even roughly and my feet should be happier. If I get 2 years from them then I saved money and if I have issues I can send them in for repairs. My thought is if these hold up like I think they will I’ll order another backup set in six months.

I drove thru Ken’s area twice today, didn’t see him or H so they must still be lost in the woods….
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:47:47 PM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17906 on: November 04, 2022, 06:19:45 PM »
Guy I worked with in Moses Lake wore Whites which are also made in Spokane. As an operator, he was very hard on boots but those Whites held up.
Also better on boots to have a couple pair and trade off often.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17907 on: November 04, 2022, 09:45:16 PM »
Guy I worked with in Moses Lake wore Whites which are also made in Spokane. As an operator, he was very hard on boots but those Whites held up.
Also better on boots to have a couple pair and trade off often.

Copy, yeah I had a production manager (much bigger guy than me 300#+) and he swapped them daily. Claimed walking the concrete floor all day compressed the soles. So rotating out daily allowed them to decompress. Idk, but he claimed it made a difference.

My problem is the torching and grinding sparks etc do a number on lesser quality boots. The ones I ordered have flame resistant soles and stitching.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 09:49:58 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17908 on: November 04, 2022, 10:47:41 PM »
What was the last two pair of work boots you owned Shawn?

I rotate between a few pair, Thor goods and a set of slip-in Georgia boots ( I don’t walk around much anymore).
I switch to allow them to fully dry out also.  Or if they get supper sloppy on my feet I soak them in water then put the boot dryer on them and they shrink up a good bit for a few more weeks.
Boot dryers are the best

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17909 on: November 04, 2022, 11:38:10 PM »
What was the last two pair of work boots you owned Shawn?

I rotate between a few pair, Thor goods and a set of slip-in Georgia boots ( I don’t walk around much anymore).
I switch to allow them to fully dry out also.  Or if they get supper sloppy on my feet I soak them in water then put the boot dryer on them and they shrink up a good bit for a few more weeks.
Boot dryers are the best

Ariats are last two, current pair design are holding up much better than the last. I sent last pair back after 3 months to get fixed. They threw them away and refunded me. Prior to that it was a set of red wings and again less than 6 months, believe it was a little over four on those and I paid well above $200

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17910 on: November 05, 2022, 05:47:09 AM »

Had to go to Spokane and pickup eldest daughter from airport for a weekend visit. Forgot the hour time difference and ended there an hour early so I stopped by Nicks Boots where I’ve had an order with for several months. Looks to be another dozen weeks yet however I did get to actually try a set on.

I originally was fitted (measured) at a shoe store in Ft Collins, co but did not get to try them on. All I can say is I’m stoked about these after having a set on for ten minutes.

For what I paid though I’ll need to be buried in them. In all reality I destroy a set of boots on average every six months or so. Those mass produced boots of low quality run maybe $200. So my thinking is if these Nicks boots last a year and a half which is easily doable then I’ll break even roughly and my feet should be happier. If I get 2 years from them then I saved money and if I have issues I can send them in for repairs. My thought is if these hold up like I think they will I’ll order another backup set in six months.

I drove thru Ken’s area twice today, didn’t see him or H so they must still be lost in the woods….
Wow, I never thought I knew another 6month boot breaker! Not me mind you, but my second oldest brother who follows dogs for a living. He has worn every brand of boot until the soles fall off. He does a lot of riding now but I don’t think he manages much past 7/8mos. He wears asolo and kennetrek. His fail simply because boots are not designed for the miles he puts on. No idea how asolo would stand up to shop life. Couldn’t test it if I wanted to.

I look forward to seeing how these Nicks work out for you.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17911 on: November 05, 2022, 08:02:19 AM »
Holy crap over 500 for a pir of boots. I will not complain about my $200 boots ever again.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17912 on: November 05, 2022, 10:38:04 AM »

Wow, I never thought I knew another 6month boot breaker! Not me mind you, but my second oldest brother who follows dogs for a living. He has worn every brand of boot until the soles fall off. He does a lot of riding now but I don’t think he manages much past 7/8mos. He wears asolo and kennetrek. His fail simply because boots are not designed for the miles he puts on. No idea how asolo would stand up to shop life. Couldn’t test it if I wanted to.

your older brother would happen to be rich lewis would it?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17913 on: November 05, 2022, 11:21:10 AM »

That may be part of my issue too, I average 15k steps a day when in the shop

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17914 on: November 05, 2022, 12:31:19 PM »
Shawn, once you find boots that have the proper support, fit, and the right construction for your needs, I think you need to take a deep breath and make the purchase. Those good custom boot makers can do wonders for your feet and they can repair or rebuild the boots as needed. And living next door to the place doesn’t hurt either.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17915 on: November 05, 2022, 01:00:43 PM »
Shawn, once you find boots that have the proper support, fit, and the right construction for your needs, I think you need to take a deep breath and make the purchase. Those good custom boot makers can do wonders for your feet and they can repair or rebuild the boots as needed. And living next door to the place doesn’t hurt either.

Bob, I’ve had them on order for several months actually just never got to actually try a set on.

Aside from weddings my kids are all raised and out of the house now. Meaning we should have more money to go around. Next big thing is retirement at some point 20-30 years out I’m hoping. So trying to look hard at how we spend each dollar and invest it. Wife even decided to let me take over Christmas buying for kids with an emphasis on buying them long term investments versus stuff they may not use.

If I can buy good quality that can be rebuilt I think it’s the better option even if more up front. Goal is 100% everything paid for in next several years if I can get shop relocated this next year and decide what to do with Colorado shop…….

All we currently owe on is a little on our cabin.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17916 on: November 05, 2022, 01:32:11 PM »

your older brother would happen to be rich lewis would it?
Nope! Is that a houndsman you know?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17917 on: November 05, 2022, 01:34:53 PM »

That may be part of my issue too, I average 15k steps a day when in the shop
Yea that’s roughly 9-10 miles a day. If you work 260 days a year that’s 2340-2600 miles. Shoes just aren’t made for that! Really looking forward to seeing how these work out for you.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17918 on: November 07, 2022, 10:45:09 AM »

Playing in the Folds of Honor golf tournament today. Guest speaker Mark “oz” Geist from the Benghazi disaster.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17919 on: November 07, 2022, 12:53:55 PM »

Playing in the Folds of Honor golf tournament today. Guest speaker Mark “oz” Geist from the Benghazi disaster.

Folds of Honor is a great organization

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17920 on: November 07, 2022, 05:04:45 PM »
Don,

Have you thought about calling the car dealership you picked the burb up from? They always have cool stuff and yours might just fit right back in on their floor ya know

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 10:39:39 PM by Bigdave_185 »

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17921 on: November 07, 2022, 07:44:23 PM »
Don,

Have you thought about calling the car dealership you picked the burn up from? They always have cool stuff and yours might just fit right back in on their floor ya know

I could, I guess. But being all modded up... But, ya, maybe

Edit: Message sent. If he buys it, you get the credit for suggesting it. ;-)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 07:50:01 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17922 on: November 07, 2022, 07:59:21 PM »
Made it to Idaho and back. Picked the wrong time I guess. 200 miles of snow and ice south of SLC and 150 miles of bad ice north of Idaho Falls.
The new headlights were shining into the cabs of semis on the opposite side of a divided freeway causing over half of them to flash me. They had zero since of humor. Had to run into the nearest city to buy standard bulbs for the trip home.

The mice were still in the trailer. Put sheet metal around the RV tires and jacks. Also added flashing 12v Christmas lights and several bucket traps.

Also, my truck turned 100,000 near pocotello and at that exact moment my air pump grenaded, dumping the air tanks instantly, causing a stain in the driver's seat.

Not sure how some of you guys live in snow country. Yucko

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 08:01:40 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17923 on: November 07, 2022, 08:41:42 PM »
I got my truck back together today after some glass replacement

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17924 on: November 07, 2022, 09:55:23 PM »
Ken, I plan on putting foam around mine, actually covering the bottom. As well as steel wool in all the lower openings. Then adding an electric fence to kill the buggers that try!

Don, did you really??

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17925 on: November 07, 2022, 10:16:59 PM »
Don,

Have you thought about calling the car dealership you picked the burn up from? They always have cool stuff and yours might just fit right back in on their floor ya know

What did we miss here?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17926 on: November 08, 2022, 10:16:09 AM »
Don,

What did we miss here?
I guess I just change pretty quickly...Just me (On this truck)
I was struggling with getting something going. The gasser fuel mileage was intolerable for me. Then as I did the math on cost and time for the conversion, I started to see I wasn't going to have much time to finish my barn, then convert my shed into a cabin, fix up our current home and haul Kat to everywhere she wants to go.
By selling it and picking up this AEV Gladiator, I am immediately ready to get back into the adventure thing with no downtime. As soon as I am fully healed (End of this month) I can get back to building things.
Sorry to get you spooled up and then back out of it...

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17927 on: November 08, 2022, 01:52:35 PM »
My back went out a week ago I finally went to the Dr yesterday. They got me on some good pain meds.
After voting I have been just sitting around the house watching the poor guys work concrete in the rain. The rain was supposed to hold off a little longer They poured my driveway and part of the approach to the building anyway. I wouldn't have done it but whatever.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17928 on: November 08, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »
My back went out a week ago I finally went to the Dr yesterday. They got me on some good pain meds.
After voting I have been just sitting around the house watching the poor guys work concrete in the rain. The rain was supposed to hold off a little longer They poured my driveway and part of the approach to the building anyway. I wouldn't have done it but whatever.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jon, if you don't mind me asking, what are they charging for a yard for the mix and for the labor?

Trying to get some ideas for an upcoming project

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17929 on: November 08, 2022, 04:59:25 PM »
Don,

(TRN will back me up here) you might consider reaching out to NWMS (northwest motor sports) they like all kinds of modded up stuff and might be willing to even transport. could be worth a few minutes of your time. nearly every truck they have is custom or modded in some way. not always the best to buy from mind you, but that is their market.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17930 on: November 08, 2022, 09:13:37 PM »
Don,

(TRN will back me up here) you might consider reaching out to NWMS (northwest motor sports) they like all kinds of modded up stuff and might be willing to even transport. could be worth a few minutes of your time. nearly every truck they have is custom or modded in some way. not always the best to buy from mind you, but that is their market.
NWMS is a dirty word!!! (Especially buying from as you said) ;)

Come to think of it… I think Charles bought the bus from them.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 09:14:37 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17931 on: November 08, 2022, 10:12:20 PM »
When are we gonna talk about turbo girl jeep? Or supercharged gj or man J with a hemi swap!!!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17932 on: November 09, 2022, 07:09:33 AM »
Don,

If a civilian was going to have some type of PTSD or be triggered it just happened when I read NWMS

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17933 on: November 09, 2022, 09:54:02 AM »
Don,

If a civilian was going to have some type of PTSD or be triggered it just happened when I read NWMS

Tex, Can you enlighten, please?

On Dave's recommendation, I put in for a callback from them concerning the Burb. I do have another interested party, but would be nice to see what interest there would be in calling the Burb home to the west coast where it lived most of its life.

What can you tell me that might help should I end up dealing with these people?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17934 on: November 09, 2022, 11:25:24 AM »
Well I bought the Bus from them and had it “shipped”. Come to find out shipping meant they paid some to drive it 1500 miles and deliver it dirty.

They put lipstick on it and sold it. The ECM and TCM was full of codes so they either ignored them or didn’t bother.

It wouldn’t start due to a filter head and marginal CP3 the very next day. Trans had been limped as the first time I hooked 8000lb to it it went into limp mode.

If you get a good offer sell it to them but I’ll never buy a vehicle from them again.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17935 on: November 09, 2022, 12:24:31 PM »
Thanks.
Copy all. Just salespeople, zero integrity...only money, and nothing else.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17936 on: November 09, 2022, 03:56:40 PM »
Yeah if you guys remember when my tcase blew on the lb7, they paid me $8700 and towed it, with 285k, 3 bad injectors, questionable front diff and completely rotted rockers. got a call 3 weeks later from the sap that bought it for $15k, asking me what all was wrong with it when I got rid of it. But yeah, it has the cool factor and they might be willing to throw money at you.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17937 on: November 09, 2022, 07:18:42 PM »
I started my mornin off like this!

New glass is leaking or I didn’t seal the rivnuts well enough for the visor

It did rain like a bastard to be fair. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17938 on: November 09, 2022, 09:47:30 PM »
Yeah if you guys remember when my tcase blew on the lb7, they paid me $8700 and towed it, with 285k, 3 bad injectors, questionable front diff and completely rotted rockers. got a call 3 weeks later from the sap that bought it for $15k, asking me what all was wrong with it when I got rid of it. But yeah, it has the cool factor and they might be willing to throw money at you.
Well, I followed their link where you get in queue for a callback. Was scheduled for 1215 PST, and nada...So I guess that prospect is dead.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17939 on: November 09, 2022, 11:24:21 PM »
I started my mornin off like this!

New glass is leaking or I didn’t seal the rivnuts well enough for the visor

It did rain like a bastard to be fair. 

What was wrong with your tractor?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17940 on: November 10, 2022, 07:24:29 AM »
Iv had some light cab leaks in the rain.   
Got new glass and it got way worse

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: November 10, 2022, 10:07:55 AM »
Guess that’s what all the silicone was for. ;)
Ryan

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: November 10, 2022, 10:59:11 AM »
Guess that’s what all the silicone was for. ;)
Yep! I just put it all back on in a much less finger paint style and more like a finely finished paint job.   

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: November 10, 2022, 12:38:06 PM »
Woke up to a cold shower!
Investigated and found a stream of water coming out of the water heater
Just got back from Lowes
They had a 50-gal AO Smith for 499.00 that I thought would work. We had a 75-gal AO Smith premium which has lasted since 2007!
The thought process is, being electric, why cook and keep 75 gals heated when there's just the three of us? That, and I only shower bi-week-lee! I know, I know, you should shower every week to 10 days, but, being a soldier, well, you get the idea
(Some of the above is not true)
So with just three of us, and within 9 months, only two of us, the fifty will suffice. After all, we may even sell this place in 2 years, so who cares!
Anyway, I walked in and there was the unit I wanted, unboxed and sitting on the floor marked "Clearance." and "Dented."
I had to look for a while, but sure enough, I found a little dime-sized dent in the top that was hard to find. The thing was clearance priced at $400! Not satisfied, Kathy asked a manager if she could do any better, and with not much discussion, marked it down to $350!
YEA!!!!!!!
The heater, all the various fittings, fresh PVC, a stick of CPVC, and even a cheap electrical test kit rang up with tax to a total of $399!
OK, kool. Now off to do the installation. Have to do it while she is napping. With the recent back surgery, she will not allow me to pick up a double cheeseburger without cutting it down.
Anyway, good continuation to a crappy start of the day.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: November 10, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »
With the recent back surgery, she will not allow me to pick up a double cheeseburger without cutting it down.

I feel that Chief; post surgery I had a battery go out and had to phone a friend to help lift and lower the darned thing. nice score on the scratch n dent.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: November 10, 2022, 07:54:18 PM »
With the recent back surgery, she will not allow me to pick up a double cheeseburger without cutting it down.

I feel that Chief; post surgery I had a battery go out and had to phone a friend to help lift and lower the darned thing. nice score on the scratch n dent.
Danke'
It's in and cooking water.
The linebacker with the big scab on his elbow is using all the new hot water at the moment.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: November 10, 2022, 11:15:40 PM »
Hope yours is in the open. Mine is in a closet, outside behind the AC!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: November 11, 2022, 07:23:38 AM »
What happened to that big wood burner unit deal you had for the house Don?  That thing heated water didn’t it?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17948 on: November 11, 2022, 10:23:57 AM »
What happened to that big wood burner unit deal you had for the house Don?  That thing heated water didn’t it?

I was wondering same thing…

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17949 on: November 11, 2022, 11:52:16 AM »

I was wondering same thing…
My guess is he hasn’t fired it up for the season.  If I recall, that outdoor boiler was enough to heat him out of the house in the dead of winter, and we just left the 70s for highs today. Upcoming week has highs in the 40s here.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal