Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3  (Read 69575 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #700 on: May 08, 2019, 08:35:57 AM »
Knowing something of fluid dynamics, the size of the air line is an inhibiting factor given the volume of the bags and consequently, the amount of air that would need to transfer and the time it would have to do so...Juxtaposed around the inherent anti-roll characteristics of this particular suspension configuration.

Ultimately, Ken's configuration would be best, but by a teeny-weeny amount. The bigger and more overriding concern would be getting the pressure correct in each bag. Having had the independently plumbed bags in the past, I have found it difficult to get both bags equal, although perhaps a tad bit more pressure in the left bag might be beneficial (Considering the weight of the fuel tank and my big carcass).

So, I'll leave it be for now, since I have big, smokin hot issues to contend with before I launch, and this is more of an ankle biter.

So my judgement is to award both Ken and Tex a gold star for engaging in a logical and intelligent conversation.

JR gets a pass (With a C-)

and
To demote Shawn (again) for causin' strife and discord on my website!

So let it be written, so let it be done ;-)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: May 08, 2019, 08:57:04 AM »
….
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #702 on: May 08, 2019, 11:03:20 AM »
C- ?, was its the Dons driving :cool:

When will it be on its wheels?

Nate, is it always about food!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #703 on: May 08, 2019, 12:54:11 PM »
I don’t agree with Ken, no surprise there..... :tongue:

But I don’t agree with you either really. Put enough air in them to keep the ride stabilized and move on.  :knucklehead:  :popcorn:

OK - the fact that there's a compression on one side and a lift on the other, the compression will squeeze the air to the other, non- compressed side, then when one of them pops the whole thing deflates and Don heads for the ditch on that side of the road, ass end first rolling on top of the TacTopper2 and trapping the Pre-ranger sleeping in the back under spare parts, tools and a heavy wooden drawer unit.  I'd go with isolated fill lines......even if Hillary is Ken's girlfriend......consider the "Rule of Don" who's known to roll 4x4 vehicles on tank courses, injure oneself using too much throttle on a motorcycle and injure himself do to candy bar wrapper fires.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #704 on: May 08, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »
I have a problem I need to chase down. The battery keeps going dead, and it was new just a little while ago.

The battery charger cannot pump in more that 63% charge

I don't know what's causing this...

I vote leaking from your aux battery isolation get-up - don't know how or why, but that's my vote......
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: May 08, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »
Here’s another thought, maybe Don should drive within limits of suspension.  :rolleyes:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 08, 2019, 02:23:14 PM »
I have a problem I need to chase down. The battery keeps going dead, and it was new just a little while ago.

I vote leaking from your aux battery isolation get-up - don't know how or why, but that's my vote......

Not picking on you Chief, but I agree. is the isolation config grounded well? is the batter disconnected from the vehicle with the charger connected? isolate the battery from the truck and charge it. if it still won't go further than mid 60's then you know what's up. if it charges, you've got a steady drain somewhere.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 08, 2019, 03:45:12 PM »
Here’s another thought, maybe Don should drive within limits of suspension.  :rolleyes:

:facepalm: That has to be the funniest thing you've ever said. You remember who Don is, right?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 08, 2019, 04:35:29 PM »

:facepalm: That has to be the funniest thing you've ever said. You remember who Don is, right?

Well, at least while he’s on asphalt!  :facepalm:

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: May 08, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
Nate, is it always about food!

that's just a bigger version of this one... :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 08, 2019, 04:54:43 PM »

Oh, I think the suspension will handle it just fine. Even with deep mulch beds.

I also think the airbags are a moot point with as little that will transfer unless it a LONG turn and the sway bar helps that too.

Nate, we are the BIGGER versions,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 08, 2019, 07:01:09 PM »
Nate, we are the BIGGER versions,,,,,

:beercheers:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: May 08, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »

Not picking on you Chief, but I agree. is the isolation config grounded well? is the batter disconnected from the vehicle with the charger connected? isolate the battery from the truck and charge it. if it still won't go further than mid 60's then you know what's up. if it charges, you've got a steady drain somewhere.
Naw, wasn't that

The battery main terminal wasn't hooked up to the thing until yesterday. And the wire supplying voltage to switch it is switched on with ignition. But after investigating some yesterday, that darned thing isn't working. I can't hear it clicking when I turn on the switch, but then again, I can't hear anyway, so it may be playing the ballad of the green berets and I'd still be in my happy space.

But I have bigger fish to fry all of a sudden.

I started the morning off doing a quick check of the bearings before installing them into the hubs

and

guess what?

They don't fit!

Full one ton chevy stuff is too small for the spindle ends of the axle tubes!

Just like that I took a pretty big step backward

I called Charlie, the machinist right away and at least heard he had not milled the axles yet, so those got saved.

What this means is that I have to machine the mugo hubs to fit the 14mm wheel studs and run those bearings.

OK that isn't so very bad, but the stock brake setup just got tossed out the window. I don't think there is anyway to run that setup with a standard parking brake with the backing plates I will now have to switch back to.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: May 09, 2019, 09:35:09 AM »
So does the fella that built the axle have any part numbers for the brakes he put on there?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 09, 2019, 11:35:05 AM »
So does the fella that built the axle have any part numbers for the brakes he put on there?

Axle wasn’t built by a guy per se... they were built in large quantities to stick under up armored suburban and the like in Iraq and Afghanistan. So possibly built by a company for OshKosh or some such.

Of course I may be VERY wrong but that’s what I understood, and have seen the up armored people movers over there.

But I too was wondering, some where there ought to be a parts list on these. Because they’d have to be serviced at some point. Unless they were designed and built for one time use, which the way the gooberment spends money, that would not surprise me.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 09, 2019, 12:22:02 PM »
OK, sorry for the delayed response gents, a lot started happening last night when I started this entry...

So the bottom line is I think I have it handled. I will be using the original mungo hubs. I took them to the biker machine shop where Charlie said he could bore new stud holes in between the old ones, and counter sink for the heads of the stock studs. So, with all that done I will be able to get a wheel on the truck.

But the backing plates will not allow the use of the stock emergency brakes...I think, so I'll be back to something else...What? I don't know at the moment.

The start of the good news is I picked up the shortened drive shaft with new U-joints, and I suppose that is good news

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 09, 2019, 12:25:58 PM »
The driveshaft was "bent" according to Cincinnati driveline. They define bent as having in excess of .030" runout. They strive to achieve .003" runout for a true vibration free unit, which I now own, so again, that is good news.

Getting ready to install it I ran a tap down the holes of the yoke. They are 5/16" X 24 fine thread SAE. It actually took some time and a great deal of resistance to power through all the corrosion and rust in those threaded channels. But in the end, I now have four well lubricated and protected bores, ready for bolts

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 09, 2019, 12:31:41 PM »
I am really liking that Summit assembly lube for lubing bolts, holding parts in place during assembly, slipping parts together and buttering the nose of my sleeping mutt. It produces some interesting effects when used as a buttering agent and can also add to the humor level of a room!

So here's the next problem I ran into.

I have never encountered this before, but apparently U-joints of a family have different lengths.

The joint they placed in the shaft (I think they are 1350 joints) obviously fit the end of the driveshaft just fine but was too short to fit the yoke in the pinion gear.

I am reading a length of something over 4", perhaps 4 1/8" between the stops in each saddle of the yoke, and the U-Joint is only something like 3 3/4" wide (Long).

Now what in the heck is that???

Tate...??

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 09, 2019, 12:35:56 PM »
So, now I need to solve for the odd sized U-joint. I have no idea what the driveshaft looked like that came off the up-armored Suburbans, so I have nothing to go on. I have no source to go to, since all this stuff was produced under some military contract for a program which has long since been handed over to the Iraqis who had ISIS subsequently steal it from them and was finally bombed into oblivion by the US military.

Seems that things do travel in a circle...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: May 09, 2019, 12:57:25 PM »
1410 same cap size as 1350 but wider

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #721 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:14 PM »
Napa should have conversion universals in stock. Pretty common really.

On the air bag issue, just add a shut off valve in line? Open and adjust as needed, close and bags are isolated.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: May 09, 2019, 01:29:20 PM »
Sorry didn’t see the ds was different than the yoke. Buy a yoke from Tate and swap it out.....

Or those conversion ujoints, 1350-1410 is probably one you need.

My personal belief is the 1350 is a stronger setup, the 1410 normally give you more articulation angle though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:30:15 PM by stlaser »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: May 09, 2019, 05:30:44 PM »
I think Tate is all over this.

He said they have something like what I need...We will sort it out.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: May 09, 2019, 05:36:59 PM »
So, I'm thinking through the emergency brake system

I could splice into the existing line and run it into the cab and place a simple on/off valve. That way, I could step on the brake, close the valve and release, trapping the pressure to the rear and setting the parking brake.

I may yet be able to figure out some way to rig up the factory drum brake thing

But I was thinking of something else too.

Remember that the brake caliper plate was designed for two calipers on each wheel...???

Well I was thinking that if I could use the existing parking brake pedal to drive the stock cable, then at the end of that cable, mount some sort of hydraulic ram which would exert force on a piston when pulled, then I could route a separate set of lines to the second set of brake calipers and make them function as parking brakes.

I know, sounds funky, but it just may work. Looking at parts to make this function...

Decision is not made at this point.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #725 on: May 09, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
I believe an emergency bake must be a separate system, line lock doesn't work. Brakes fail, you need to stop you still don't have brakes, most are mech vs hydro.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #726 on: May 09, 2019, 07:06:18 PM »
Drive shaft e brake? Wilwood has one, it’s mechanical I’m pretty sure.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 07:07:02 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: May 09, 2019, 07:10:57 PM »
That driveline brake would be bad A!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #728 on: May 09, 2019, 08:04:43 PM »
And legal (like it would be checked)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: May 09, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »
I believe an emergency bake must be a separate system, line lock doesn't work. Brakes fail, you need to stop you still don't have brakes, most are mech vs hydro.

JR, only for inspections. Don doesn’t have to in the tuck.

Don, what is mount spacing on that bracket?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #730 on: May 09, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »
Actually I bet that is a federal DOT rule, tuck or not.

But like I said, who would check. We do want the prerangers safe, right?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: May 09, 2019, 09:40:01 PM »
Trying to understand why the backing plate won't work.  Can't you just trim the center hole? Or was the offset different?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: May 09, 2019, 11:09:55 PM »
Don, I may have a solution sitting in my shop.....

I have a Dana 80 with disc brakes out of a superduty (yes I know the pattern is wrong) that is 8 on 170 but I have a template to drill rotors from 8x170 to 8 on 6.5

I can take pics and measure and even drill the rotors for you. Thinking this might work on your mutant axle. I bought it for $50 minus axle shafts and gears are fubar. Wanted it for center chunk which I’m hoping bearing pockets are still good and I can do a front 80 steer axle build.

Will be in shop in morning for awhile if you want to tackle this.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: May 09, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »
Trying to understand why the backing plate won't work.  Can't you just trim the center hole? Or was the offset different?
It's spacing and offset between both the backing plate (which locates the caliper, and where the hub puts the wheel face. Along with that, this axle has had a larger diameter tube end (Part where the hub is affixed to) grafted on.

It looks like someone (company) just threw out the rules and bought the biggest stuff that would fit, as in big time overkill, overkill.

It will have to be the original mil setup or swap out to a factory 14 bolt FF which I'll bet is less than half as wicked strong as this thing I have here.

I'll sort it out. Maybe look at that wilwood part T is suggesting...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: May 09, 2019, 11:24:29 PM »
Don, I may have a solution sitting in my shop.....

I have a Dana 80 with disc brakes out of a superduty (yes I know the pattern is wrong) that is 8 on 170 but I have a template to drill rotors from 8x170 to 8 on 6.5

I can take pics and measure and even drill the rotors for you. Thinking this might work on your mutant axle. I bought it for $50 minus axle shafts and gears are fubar. Wanted it for center chunk which I’m hoping bearing pockets are still good and I can do a front 80 steer axle build.

Will be in shop in morning for awhile if you want to tackle this.
Thanks Shawn, really kind offer

But let me scratch around on this for awhile. This Biker guy Charlie could machine a new axle out of a chewing gum wrapper if I needed, and it looks like some custom touches will be needed to bring it all home. But what a setup when I finally do!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: May 09, 2019, 11:35:39 PM »
Well, I’m less expensive than the satan worshipping biker...... probably equal part pia though so it maybe money well spent dealing with biker.  :tongue: With that stated I guess you have my number if you want me to take some quick measurements and compare.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: May 15, 2019, 09:18:53 PM »
Update on the rear drive train stuff.

First, the 1350/1410 U-joint just came in. Tate sent it to me moments after a phone call to him, so that will fix the driveshaft problem

The rear hubs are still not modified, but add to that, I will either have to turn down the OD of the hub part or enlarge the rotors to fit over the 5" hole these hubs have. I plan to visit the machine shop tomorrow to figure that out

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 15, 2019, 09:22:03 PM »
So while I am waiting on that stuff, I dove into the installation of the stereo components. That little affair has now taken me a few days with loads of disassembly of interior and body panels to fit everything.

Started out with the Polk Audio speakers. They were direct replacements for the factory stuff. THose polk units with their larger magnets weighed nearly twice what the stockers did.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: May 15, 2019, 09:24:12 PM »
Crutchfield tries to make things easy for the installer by providing all sorts of adapter harnesses along with comprehensive directions

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 15, 2019, 09:25:18 PM »
Pages of stuff like this keeps you oriented and on your toes!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 15, 2019, 09:26:23 PM »
The rear doors were easier to do than the fronts

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 15, 2019, 09:27:58 PM »
I greased up all the linkages while they were exposed, and finished the installation off with some stick on Polk placards to make it look professional

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:19 PM »
Speaking of stick-on things, I don't think I showed the cool RMTWS decals I placed on each wheel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 15, 2019, 09:31:23 PM »
Then I started to remove trim panels and hardware

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 15, 2019, 09:32:05 PM »
This stock trim piece will not be reused

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 15, 2019, 09:34:48 PM »
The radio is easily removed by squeezing some clips in to release it.

I tell you, Chevy really builds a nice fitting and well put together vehicle. You get one of these classics in good condition, and I'd have to challenge you to justify paying 6-10 times the price to get a new one.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 15, 2019, 09:35:51 PM »
The amplifier and sirius radio will fit inside the center console below the drink cup holder

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 15, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »
And while I was organizing my space in there, I velcroed my sunglass case to the overhead and the remote for the rear DVD player to the bottom of the screen

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 15, 2019, 09:39:03 PM »
THis Burb had a factory Cassette player which will not be reused, so I'll use this spot to mount the CB radio

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 15, 2019, 09:41:49 PM »
And it fits!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal