Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tracking the war in the Ukraine  (Read 541 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Tracking the war in the Ukraine
« on: February 26, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
I'll try and track this developing war in the Ukraine. I will just add to this first post as things develop.
Red notes refer to (red)China/Taiwan operations

The night of fighting with heavy shell attacks has taken a great toll on both sides, with estimates suggesting between 1,000 and 3,500 Russian soldiers have been killed.

Live – Kiev is surrounded by: Follow the news of the war in Ukraine

A Japanese-owned cargo ship has been shelled in the Black Sea, south of Ukraine. One crewmember has been injured.

The State Dept advises US citizens not to travel to Belarus and urges US citizens in Belarus to depart immediately. Minsk airport has flights to limited international destinations. Land borders with Lithuania, Latvia & Poland work at normal capacity.

NATO Supreme Allied Commander Gen. Tod Wolters activated the multinational force consisting of land, air, sea and special operations forces from the allies that can deploy quickly in support of the NATO alliance. The activation of the response troops does not mean that any US or NATO troops will go into Ukraine, which is not a member.

China announces maritime drills starting tomorrow off their coast near Taiwan

1059 02262022   115,000 people cross from Ukraine to Poland since invasion

1840 02262022  Russia-Ukraine latest news: western allies to cut some Russian banks out of Swift payments system

1907 02262022  Elon Musk has said SpaceX’s Starlink satellites are now active over Ukraine after a request from Ukraine’s Minister of Digital Transformation, Mykhailo Fedorov.

Eight countries, including Czech Republic, Poland and the UK, have now introduced full or partial bans on Russian flights.

Anti-war sentiment grows in Russia despite government crackdown

1943 02262022  After reading a bunch of tweets out of the Ukraine. Ukrainian soldiers killed: Something around 200 with 400 injured. Russian far worse with 3500 killed/wounded and 200 POW's. One person walked through an abandoned Russian BM-21 multiple launch rocket system unit which were all out of fuel. Other reports of Russians running out of gas and Ukrainian forces hitting them hard near the border on the supply routes.

2021 02262022  According to United States military information, Russia now has at least 50 percent of its estimated 150,000-strong invasion force inside Ukraine.

0834 02272022  Russia-Ukraine latest: Putin orders nuclear deterrence forces on high alert; Zelenskiy says Ukrainian and Russian delegations to meet

0830ish 02272022  Belarus special forces are believed to be preparing to assault the Ukrainian capital Kyiv, the Daily Mirror can reveal. Ukrainian intelligence has learned from within Belarus that “special ops” troops have been spotted loading up planes for a major attack.

0940 02272022  There are 'no Russian troops in the capital,' Kyiv mayor says

1700 02272022  BUDAPEST, Hungary - Some 66,000 refugees have entered Hungary from Ukraine since the beginning of the Russian invasion on Thursday, with more than 23,000 entering on Saturday alone, according to the Hungarian police and Hungary’s foreign minster

1700 02272022 Soviet shuttle carrier aircraft destroyed in Russian attack on Ukraine (Note: This is a big deal. There was only one AN-225 in the world, and it was the largest cargo carrier on earth. Many a specialized load was carried around the planet in that thing. That will leave a vacuum that won't be filled)

Evening 02272022  Ukraine could tip balance of war if it resists Russian forces a few more days, expert says
AM 02282022  Radioactive waste disposal site near Kyiv hit by airstrike, Ukraine officials say (I actually wrote a paper once about this facility which has a history of leaks and fires)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 10:57:39 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking the war in the Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 10:59:37 AM »
Starting Page 2:

1045 02282022  Dozens of people have been killed in Russian missile strikes on Ukraine's second city, Kharkiv, officials say. "Kharkiv has just been massively fired upon by grads [rockets]. Dozens of dead and hundreds of wounded," interior ministry adviser Anton Herashchenko said in a post on Facebook.

Kiev still holds as Russian troops are massing 20 miles north suggesting that since the city did not fall immediately the war could change to the Russian Army levelling the city as is their style.

1000 02282022  Negotiators for Kyiv and Moscow are holding talks in Belarus but expectations are not high

1030 02282022  The UN says more than half a million refugees have now fled Ukraine for neighbouring countries
« Last Edit: February 28, 2022, 11:09:53 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 06:44:42 PM »
Don, dont want to screw your thread up, move it out if it doesn't belong here or in your thread.

Food for thought and some observations.

So I hear rumblings of things stirring in the this region, I'm a hardware person on many levels.  On thing I have noticed the equipment that is being captured by Ukraine forces, a real spread some of the new AK12, Mosins with WW2 optics, lots and lots of AK74 mostly typical Soviet equipment a few M4/AR platforms .  One thing I have NOT seen at least on the AK12's is ZERO optics, laser, ETC  I do have some real eyes over there right now and they have seen the same thing. 

Which brings me to this point, I think the Russian troops in the Ukraine now are cannon fodder IMO none of the equipment is the "good" stuff which bring up a question or maybe Putin's strategy, burn up the Ukraine's limited resources and once thats depleted send in the top line units to clean it up.

Now I never though Putin would of pushed in as far as he has, anything can happen in the next few weeks but I know the Russians have good equipment but I dont see it turning up with the captured units.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 09:45:50 PM »
Don, dont want to screw your thread up, move it out if it doesn't belong here or in your thread.

So I hear rumblings of things stirring in the this region, I'm a hardware person on many levels.  On thing I have noticed the equipment that is being captured by Ukraine forces, a real spread some of the new AK12, Mosins with WW2 optics, lots and lots of AK74 mostly typical Soviet equipment a few M4/AR platforms .  One thing I have NOT seen at least on the AK12's is ZERO optics, laser, ETC  I do have some real eyes over there right now and they have seen the same thing. 

Which brings me to this point, I think the Russian troops in the Ukraine now are cannon fodder IMO none of the equipment is the "good" stuff which bring up a question or maybe Putin's strategy, burn up the Ukraine's limited resources and once thats depleted send in the top line units to clean it up.

Now I never though Putin would of pushed in as far as he has, anything can happen in the next few weeks but I know the Russians have good equipment but I dont see it turning up with the captured units.
...And they seem to have a lack of night vision equipment.
Most of the equipment in this invasion is very seasoned, I agree. BTR-50 and BTR-60 from the 1970's. BMP's at least have the new gun but old chassis. T-72 and T-64 also way old.
That truck mounted 40-tube rocket launcher, the BM-21 is late 1960's. I would have thought some of the rocket tubes would have rust holes in them by now.

Bigger picture is look at the tactics. Pretty much getting to be close to a total fail. This Army is not one that we couldn't put to bed so fast their head would spin. Poor leadership, dumb, like really dumb tactics. Leaving a convoy parked on a road for a week. Had they done that against us, I'd wager 75% of those vehicles would have been destroyed. When you stop, you disperse. And you move at proper interval, like 100 meters between vehicles, not all parked together. That makes for one big juicy target that anyone in my army would have taken advantage of.

No, I agree, this is not what I would have expected from this fearful russian bear. They are more like high school boy scouts than well trained troops.

Not sure how this plays out. I personally am just waiting to hear the "N" word. I think we have backed Putin into a corner so far he now is in a fight for his personal survival. A man with little to lose is a dangerous man!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 10:13:52 PM »
The news has been using the N word a lot today and the day before,  not sure if any of theirs work. I for sure know the man holding his hand above our red button doesn’t have enough strength to push it, not that we should I think he physically can’t open his on toothpaste cap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2022, 09:43:37 AM »

...And they seem to have a lack of night vision equipment.
Most of the equipment in this invasion is very seasoned, I agree. BTR-50 and BTR-60 from the 1970's. BMP's at least have the new gun but old chassis. T-72 and T-64 also way old.
That truck mounted 40-tube rocket launcher, the BM-21 is late 1960's. I would have thought some of the rocket tubes would have rust holes in them by now.

Bigger picture is look at the tactics. Pretty much getting to be close to a total fail. This Army is not one that we couldn't put to bed so fast their head would spin. Poor leadership, dumb, like really dumb tactics. Leaving a convoy parked on a road for a week. Had they done that against us, I'd wager 75% of those vehicles would have been destroyed. When you stop, you disperse. And you move at proper interval, like 100 meters between vehicles, not all parked together. That makes for one big juicy target that anyone in my army would have taken advantage of.

No, I agree, this is not what I would have expected from this fearful russian bear. They are more like high school boy scouts than well trained troops.

Not sure how this plays out. I personally am just waiting to hear the "N" word. I think we have backed Putin into a corner so far he now is in a fight for his personal survival. A man with little to lose is a dangerous man!

I think the tactics are an effect of the Russians knowing there is NO air threat.  I agree target rich environment for sure if it was real world. 
Add to the fact the Russian military has not seen active combat since 1990 and in most cases still fight with a WW2-cold war doctrine.  95% of the Russian Pilots I have worked with were also alcoholics, given functional alcoholics that’s a whole different conservation but anyway back to the Ukraine.

Putin really wants the Ukraine intact IMO, I have spent some time in Southern Ukraine Odessa-Sevastapol and as with most places in that area of the world the corruption is high, it is also very sad as the Ukraine has everything to become a very successful country, Aerospace, rail, agricultural (amazing potential), ports, aviation, manufacturing, nuke power and so on. Most of the Ukraine engineers/military/people I have worked with I have been impressed with good skills and generally good people.

I do not think Putin will use “N” I mean anything can happen but its too close to home and he wants Ukraine intact, if he didn’t want it to use the Ukraine's infrastructure then I firmly believe we would of carpet bombed the city’s right out of the gate.  It will be interesting for sure to see how this plays out, it is a pressure cooker let just hope the seal holds.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 10:39:41 AM »
We are looking at the redefining of the power brokers of the world. Biden is so weak, but despite him, our people are still strong and anyone over the age of 20 is freedom loving for the most part. Putin is failing. He is being exposed and his whole crime ridden nation is about to reach a breaking point, I think. The good in all this is that a good portion of his military is getting destroyed. A bigger factor could be that this invincible Russian army is showing itself to be a lot less capable than we thought. Indeed, they are no match for a well trained and equipped western military. We could easily take them in a straight up fight.
The good: Russia is being taken off the table as a credible military threat.
The bad: a lot of good Russian and Ukrainian people are being killed and about to suffer financially.
The good: With Russia deneutered, we can turn our attention to a very powerful China who just lost a friend. This makes them look much smaller.
The bad: Biden lacks the spine for a fight, and for my experience with these communist and fanatical types, they only get it when you hit them in the temple with a baseball bat.
Peace takes strength, and only comes after a good fight. You don't negotiate your way into a 1950's carefree lifestyle. No, unbelievable sacrifices from millions of insanely brave men rolled out a blood red carpet from the 1940's to create the framework for that bygone era of peace.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 12:04:19 AM »
The Ukrainian's are standing up as most freedom loving people do. Plus the US is being showed how to help from OTHER nations.

We could stop this almost today by being the OIL power we were just a couple years back.

Did you hear about the TV reporter who put up a support the Ukrainian's sign on live TV. She was arrested and released after 14 hours.

Putin is loosing it, now we have a local bot to get out.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal