Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Building of Hank!  (Read 19146 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: The Building of Hank!
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2015, 10:13:50 PM »
Looks a little rough, but nothing a good mig or tig  (and a bunch of time) won't fix.

p.s. A thick layer of undercoating will cover unsightly welds! lol

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »

Looks a little rough, but nothing a good mig or tig  (and a bunch of time) won't fix.

p.s. A thick layer of undercoating will cover unsightly welds! lol

Ken, funny you should mention that..... The previous owner lined the whole cab floor. Makes me wonder what I'll find when it gets removed. Things may be taking an unexpected turn though, and we may just get it road worthy for the time being, and then in a few months it'll get torn down to bare. We'll know soon enough I suppose. Certainly not what I want to do but some other unforeseen circumstances have reared their not so pretty head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
Have you been able to get your housing situation resolved so you can get back to work on this?

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2016, 07:32:08 PM »

Have you been able to get your housing situation resolved so you can get back to work on this?

Resolved???  No not really, but such is life. Doesn't matter though, I'm going to get back at it now that things have mellowed out a little. Starting a new education program in a couple months so hopefully can make significant progress between now and then. Sadly it has sat neglected for the last month and a half. I'll try l change that starting tomorrow.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:34:25 PM by wyorunner »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2016, 02:15:57 PM »
Finally making some kind of progress. Pulled both axles from under Hank, and started on pulling the newer donor axles. Got the rear removed but not installed as I have to drill out the leaf spring holes mounting holes on Hank.

Where are you guys buying bushings at? They all need to be replaced, and I'd prefer to do it now while the axle and leaf springs are out.

Got the axle from Hank installed back into the donor truck as well.

Only picture I took was that one, with axles out. Hoping to get the front started on being removed today but currently business sitting for a friend.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2016, 05:42:40 PM »
This looks like a fun project. I've got a 64 IH Scout 80 that has some interesting rust repair on the rockers. Original owner cut out the rust, put in chicken wire and fiberglass, and covered that with a sheet metal panel riveted to the body on either side. LOL.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2016, 02:01:20 PM »
alittle inspiration for Hank..

found in Austin Texas. started as a 2wd (yes, I crawled underneath it to look at it. hahah) crossover steering. helper springs and air bags in the back. new ish dodge leather seats (not sure if year, but buckets and a console) 5 speed manual with NP 205. only missing front drive shaft.

yes.. I left a note. hahah

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2016, 04:40:39 PM »
Nice find!

~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2016, 04:50:28 PM »
Nice find!

just wish it had a 'for sale' sign in the window. lol

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2016, 04:50:51 PM »
That'd be sweet!

~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2016, 12:33:50 AM »
Nice find!

just wish it had a 'for sale' sign in the window. lol

Never know, just might be.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »
Thanks for the inspiration. Honestly right now we are at a point where cash has become limited as we took a pretty significant pay cut beginning of February. 

I'm ready to be rolling just no dough to get the pieces needed, even small ones. It sad I will say, but it's ok. I do appreciate seeing nice trucks though. 

There is a 2wd here locally at a dealer that is an 84 crew cab long box. If anybody is interested. I've been told two prices by the snake oil salesman there, 4 and 5.  It does have a 440 in it I believe.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »
That's a pretty Crew Cab pictured. I imagine that with a short box and a squarish oil change, treatment...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2016, 05:27:49 PM »
That's a pretty Crew Cab pictured. I imagine that with a short box and a squarish oil change, treatment...

agreed.

but.. the long bed doesn't look as long in person. that pic is deceiving. however, I love the way a 6.5' bed looks on them.

OldKooT

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
Wait tell you see how unattractive they can look with a 6.5' step side bed LOL

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2016, 12:00:20 PM »

agreed.

but.. the long bed doesn't look as long in person. that pic is deceiving. however, I love the way a 6.5' bed looks on them.

I would have to disagree here. The long bed in town, compared to the 6.5 in my garage appear drastically different. I do know I'd still own a long box if I had the chance. But I like ours! I will say that the picture above does indeed make it look as though it's a rollback length box...

Somebody needs to come down here and pickup this crew cab at the dealer!

« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 12:01:40 PM by wyorunner »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2016, 09:44:59 PM »
Wait tell you see how unattractive they can look with a 6.5' step side bed LOL

Used to see those all over in the military, ugly things!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2016, 02:10:33 AM »
Back on track here for a moment, went to town today and ordered some new bushings to get this thing back its feet rather than jack stands.  The rear axle out of the 92 has been a bit perplexing. The more I look at it the more I find myself scratching my tiny little think tank.

The leafs I do not believe to be from a dodge and if they are, they are from two different vehicles because they are not the same. Meaning each leaf of the two packs is different than the corresponding leaf of the other pack. Then there's the fact that these leafs have 1 1/2" eyes with 3/4" bolts. Seems 3/4" bolts isn't too big of a deal, as they came on some heavy duty trucks, but I couldn't find anything about a dodge with 1 1/2" eyes.

Found a shop out in PA that offered some kind of factory replacement which was encouraging....but they didn't give me any other information than the price and that they had them. I went to Napa and told the ol boy behind the counter what I was looking for. Probably about 45 or so minutes later some more internetting there he found what I was looking for 1 1/2" od with a 5/8" bolt, not the 3/4". Cheaper than I was able to find them online so he's got them coming. Hopefully will have this thing on its feet by weeks end. I drilled the front leaf front mounts out to 5/8" instead of the 1/2" that was there. Need to just get it bolted up.

Current plan is to get it movable, then out of the garage. Once out, cab and flatbed are coming off and will be "cleaned".. While they are off, the rolling chassis will go back in the garage and the drivetrain will be installed. I feel it is easier for me to do it this way than to fight the cab in the way while I'm trying to figure out a trans crossmember. I think the 92 cross member will do the job with only minor metal work needed.

While the frame will essentially be naked, it is also going to get some needed attention in the cleaning department.

Eventually, all leafs will be getting replaced with the long leafs and all of jungles HD gear, and shackle flip in the rear. I want to get away from having blocks, and I figure I can do that by flipping the shackles in the rear and running 63s. The stance I believe will be something similar to what it is now, which is fully usable, and what I want out of the truck.

Sorry no pictures. I'll try to post some up of the bushing removal process when you don't have the proper tools....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:14:04 AM by wyorunner »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
5/8s sounds about right.

Have you looked at SDSprings?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2016, 12:01:54 PM »

5/8s sounds about right.

Have you looked at SDSprings?

For the bolts...yes. Bushings no. It was some stroke of luck guy at Napa found them. He essentially went to their website and started clicking on bushings. Then we went through and looked at the measurements until we found the right one. Probably a smart enough guy, but not fully up to snuff on their catalogs and such.

Now as I sit here and think... I probably should have just drilled out the 74 to accept the 3/4" bolts, as I have all of that. It would have worked until I got the stuff we actually want... Oh well, I tend to like to make more work for myself.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2016, 02:04:23 AM »
Talk about a long over due update! Finally starting to make progress with this thing. Brakes are done, which really doesn't matter because it is not sitting on wheels or tires, but it's a check off the list. Bought the fuel line today hopefully will have that in tomorrow, figured out the power steering lines and they are going to Tucson on Monday to get made, and I have been slowly cleaning things up on it.... And finding the cancer!

Today was a pretty productive day, as I got all of the bed liner removed on the outside of the doors and the rocker panels.
From this:

To this:

Don't know if you can see it or not but the bottom front corner of the front door is basically none existent... On the outside and the inside.

Used some aircraft paint remover, paint scraper and some elbow grease, really did pretty good. Found all of the hidden wonders underneath of said bed liner too... That would be copious amounts of bondo!

The plan as of right now (and well for ever I guess) is get this drivable, quickest way possible then begin to upgrade everything. It's a terrible idea really, considering the cab needs to come off worse than anything in order to be properly addressed, but I guess I'll just tear it all apart again next year maybe.. Right now, we need a pickup. The ramcharger and 4Runner just are not doing it, although both capable of doing enough just not pulling.

Sorry for not very many pics or updates, I've never been real good at this thread thing.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2016, 04:21:19 AM »
Glad to see an update. I think Spartan is going just as fast,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:34 AM »
I can definitely identify

What with Square D taking the whole spring summer off while I work on my farm/Hide

But I was eyeballing it just yesterday

Need to get it up and running

Good luck with Hank

All it really needs is someone like you to take an interest in it!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
Slow and steady wins the race, just ask Don. Er....wait bad example

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2016, 12:55:01 PM »
Also have the transmission crossmember bolted up, which was the first big task that I needed to complete. Didn't fit to the original four holes in the 74 frame. The width of the 92 mount holes was wider by about 3/4 an inch. I could see one of the holes partially on each side but they wouldn't line up. So out came the drill and a 7/16 bit some hours later, a broken tip and some of the holes ending up 1/2" it is bolted up with six of the 12 bolts.

In doing this I noticed that the cab is basically riding on the frame, which leaves no room for the bolts on the top of the frame. When coming out with the original mount I was barely able to get a box end wrench on the head of the bolt, pry bar solved that problem. Truck needs new cab bushings, and could really use a middle mount to support it, may get one fabbed up when the cab comes off. Bushings on the other hand I found a site while reading, but don't know it off the top of my head, have to look through my bookmarks.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2016, 03:34:05 PM »
Hockey pucks?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #76 on: September 24, 2016, 11:30:02 PM »
Hockey pucks?

Sure would be cheaper and easier, but custom made bushings don't seem to hard to find. Wonder if I could turn them on a lathe myself....

So today didn't go quite like planned, but something was still achieved, fired up on the first try.... When I had the positive on the connection of the pump, sorry have no clue what part it was connected to. Just found that's what it needed on the web so I tried it, and she fired right up. And purred like a kitten.... And then because it doesn't have hose on he transmission line, made a big mess and wife says well i guess we better shut it off...

Will post video from phone to show it happened... If any mod/boss wants to remove it because of space feel free I'll get it back up when I get it on photobucket. 

Then I proceeded to attempt at installing the tank. The 92 will not fit and will show why when the pics come off the camera. So the 74 tank it is for now. Modified it a bit and went to put it in... Then my line from tank to lift pump was about 6" short. So at that point I said I'm done, and wife just about had dinner ready.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:33:04 PM by wyorunner »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2016, 11:34:31 AM »
Video, much better than pics!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2016, 12:23:24 PM »
Cool, I need me one of those...... ;D
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2016, 12:10:44 AM »
So, today was an absolute accomplish nothing today. But thats ok, here are some pics from yesterdays adventures.

As you can see the tank at the bottom picture is substantially smaller than the one on top. I'm sure you're all aware from my previous post, the bottom one is the 74 (because its smaller and would fit) and the top is the 92. The 92 has two major issues, the first being is that it is too long. If the front part that has a step about 3" in (on the left) was not there I could probably make it fit. That nub hits a cross member and has me off a good ways. 

The second issue is with the bump right in front of the pump. It wouldn't be as bad of a problem if the front part wasn't there but oh well I need a tank so lets try the 74.

A little work to the 74 and back in.

This is the original fuel suction line and return line.

The short one in the back which is 1/2" was the return line, while the pickup is 5/16". Should be an easy fix.

Five minutes later we had this.

I cut off the original pick up line with a pipe cutter, and then added a piece of multi use hose rated to handle diesel to the original return.

Tank now fits but I am still 6" or so short on my feed line. My return line is ready and waiting.

Talked to a friend who said she would be willing to try and turn some poly for new body mount bushings, but then began reading about it and became concerned it might be a waste of time as without a variable speed lathe it will essentially melt enough to become worthless. So I'll just get some from the web.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2016, 01:51:38 AM »
I need to make a list of to do's to get this thing on the road, so I thought where better to do it so here goes. If you think I am missing something please let me know and I will either add it or say its done.

Need Rear Driveline Built
Front Driveline needs front Ujoint
Throttle Cable
Speedo Cable
Transmission Shifter
Transfer Case Shifter
Install Radiator, intercooler and trans cooler onto front clip
Wire in lights, blinkers, EGT probe, and ignition
Install Front clip
Install windshield
Fenders and hood
Shocks
Tires
Bleed brakes
E-brake Cable

Dang, thats a long list and thats only the really rough version to get it on the road. Any pointers or input is appreciated.

I have the transmission cooler lines run. The tank is installed and plumbed in. Power steering lines were done, but I botched that one and made them backwards and so I need new ones, should be addressed tomorrow though, along with the front Ujoint. As each day passes this truck is needed more and more. Thanks for watching and helping.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
I bet that list triples,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »
Wow, the forum warned me this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days, thats sad  :undecided:

Anyways, since I still have the metal pile and trying to make it into some thing usable lets post!

The last week has been good, some progress has been made.

A while back I got some trans cooler lines made up, well part of them, once the front clip is on I'll finish them.

Unfortunately they will have to be replaced with something different.

Moving on, I got a temporary solution for the mount of the driveline will permenantize once truck is drivable and taken to the driveshaft balancer/maker in Tucson.

Rear side,

Front Side,

What I did was take the hanger off the 92 donor which was the shape of a piece of hat channel, I cut the ends off and lifted them to where they sit in the right spot on the existing cross member, welded the wings or flaps back on bolted the one hole that lined up, clamped the other side and drilled another hole.

Then began the refitting of 92 steering column and trans shift linkage.

Both columns,

The linkage process was a only a bit more involved. As many of you are probably aware the shift linkage bushing that hold the linkage in place on the transmission side and the frame rail side are no longer available. So I looked around to no avail, however while at napa, the wise man behind the counter helped tremendously.

I had thought about having a brass bushing turned by a person with a lathe but he said, "just go to Ace and look through their brass bushings"  BRILLIANT, I thought, and it was.

my parts pile for this. I ended up having to use two bushings on each side because the OD of the mounts and the OD of the shift linkage rod were so far apart, thats ok, a little heat and some sort of soldering two become one!!!!

The frame rail bushing was too long to fit on the linkage rod, so i used my tubing cutter and shortened it! then sanded everything smooth with the only sand paper I had, which was a roll of emory cloth for plumbing...

sadly I didn't get any pictures of my poor job of soldering/brazing the pieces together. but here is the linkage with the bushings in place.

here it is installed....anything wrong with it (rhetorical question, what is it)

final install with linkage connected and column in, and corrected stuff.

but as you all can see trans cooler lines, bound to fail eventually with the contact there, so that will be addressed probably once its running.

empty mess of a cab...

'new' wheel and column installed...

that turd of a wheel was kind of a pain to install, even though it has the same diameter column as the factory one and the bolt holes where the same width, still don't think its perfect but will do for right now.

It works and it shifts....mostly, won't shift all the way into first but thats ok, drive and reverse are good enough to get it moving and then have the trans shop do the final adjusting if i don't get it.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
The Building of Hank!
« Reply #83 on: June 12, 2017, 03:31:24 PM »
So I've also been thinking about the biggest job of the whole project (well maybe, the floor might end up being more involved), the wiring of the truck.

My plan is to create a list of what will need wired, then draw out a diagram on a piece of paper, then transfer that to some plywood in order to get it biggified and closer to truck size.

Here is my list so far:

Dual Batteries
alternator
fuse panel
Starter
Lockout solenoid
starter button
"cluster" lights
headlight switch
dimmer
turn signal switch
dome light
radio
speakers
blower motor
Windshield wiper switch
Air compressor (somewhere)

headlights
blinkers
marker lights
tail lights
brake lights
trailer plug

Gauges:
Voltmeter
Fuel
Pyrometer
boost
trans temp
speedometer
tach
Oil pressure
Water temp

Let me know what I am forgetting, as I am sure there is something.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 12:01:36 PM by wyorunner »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 12, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Looks good. Thanks for the pics.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2017, 11:01:06 PM »
Cool way of cutting down a bushing!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
oil pressure and water temp..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2017, 06:22:57 PM »
I probably already know the answer but I would like to see what everyone here thinks....

I have both the 440 Radiator and the 6bt Radiator.

Core sizes

440 - 22.25" wide 18.5" tall 3" deep
6bt - 26.5" w 21" t 2.5"d

As a cube, the 440 has 1234.875" the 6bt has 1391.25"

So, again probably kind of dumb asking but I feel like older radiators worked better at cooling. If this is the case I feel like the 440 would be the better of the two because it would do as good of job as the newer 6bt rad, and would be easier to mount.

What say ye?

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »
The 440 has vertical flow, and the 6bt has horizontal flow - I'm thinking there's a reason the newer one is horizontal flow?  Might it be that it cools more efficiently?  Newer one also has more surface area, but do they have the same capacity?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2017, 07:43:43 PM »
Bro, I'd recommend staying with the crossflow 6bt unit. They seem to work, its larger, greater capacity, more cooling finnage, easily replaced...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »
at least your not wearing mandals like somebody else we all know.....................
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2017, 08:35:31 PM »
Cuda, no idea on any of that.... probably some truth to the horizontal flow being mo better but I don't really know.

Chief, leaning that way trying to figure out how to put the two front clips together to become one, so I can get the 74 lights and grill, but 92 rad and intercooler. Also, this Radiator that was in 92 is not factory it has a sticker on it that I can't fully make out, other than it is not the factory rad.

Nate, I used to wear boots or keens and that was about it. This summer flip flops have won out.... almost all the time. I only put boots on if I'm going to be on the road for more than 20 minutes. Which is rare.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2017, 09:10:54 PM »
Bro, I'd recommend staying with the crossflow 6bt unit. They seem to work, its larger, greater capacity, more cooling finnage, easily replaced...

they came in front of those engines for a reason. and.. as previously stated, easily available in the aluminum flavor. and all the hoses will work. etc.

if it can be easily done, do it

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »
Definately the newer one. Crossflow is much more thermally efficient....that and also fin count per inch.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal