Hello Guest

Author Topic: Rock Island Armory 1911 A2  (Read 1760 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Rock Island Armory 1911 A2
« on: October 13, 2022, 04:14:08 PM »
Yesterday, I picked up a pistol I have wanted for years

I actually wanted the Remington 1911 double stack, but, well those can't be found

and

While down at the gun shop where I was unsuccessfully looking for a Brigade Arms AR9, I happened to ask if they had the double-stack Remy

Kevin cocked his head as if thinking and announced, I actually do have a double stack 1911 in .45 auto, but it's a Rock Island Armory gun

I am familiar because I purchased the youngest Pre-Ranger a single stack Rock Island 1911 in .45 auto for Christmas one year. Having watched him carry that thing everywhere and having shot it often, I confess it was an easy decision to buy the one and only one they had!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rock Island Armory 1911 A2
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 04:25:16 PM »
Here it is. Rock Island Armory M1911A2 Tactical edition

So, initial impressions.

* It's heavy!

* It's pretty heavy even without 15 rounds of bowling ball ammo.

* I love the grips especially the mag well swell which tends to wrap up my hand and make for a better grip than even my big Glock 21 framing gun.

* The sights are super! Fully adjustable in the back and has some red point thing in the front.

* The magazine is big, but it feeds well thanks to a generous tapering of the mouth of the mag-well.

* I like the beavertail palm safety but am not so keen so far on the bobbed hammer.

* The trigger has zero overtravel but I'd put it at a hefty 6-7 lbs. for the drop. I'll tune that down to 4ish soon.

* I do not like the slide release...I can't reach it. That necessitated my first mod. I ordered a Wilson Combat extended slide release, well, actually two of them. One for me and one for the Pre-Ranger.

* Disassembly is a bear! Pushing in that sharp ring to rotate the barrel bushing is nothing like an Armee .45, which was easy. THis one is just plain hard and that slide spring came off a 3500 Ram with a 7" lift, I think...ITS STIFF.
So, not likin' that, but I'll have to figure that out because Gunz do need cleanin'

Looking for a range day soon.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 04:27:51 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 06:30:01 PM »
That is a fine looking hammer sir.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 07:59:24 PM »
Very nice hammer.  RIA makes a good weapon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 09:52:10 PM »
Looks excellent

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2022, 11:28:10 PM »
So the boss does have good taste?
Excellente

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2022, 01:20:29 PM »
So the boss does have good taste?
Excellente

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I have a long history and love affair with the 1911. Probably my favorite pistol. In actual combat, I have carried a 1911, a M9 (92F Berreta) and a Glock 19. Of all of those, the M9 beretta was the smoothest and most reliable. The little Glock was the easiest to carry, but that 1911 was my first.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2022, 01:51:54 PM »
Nice purchase! I have the opposite experience with the M9. I had 3 of them fail on me in Iraq. Also, for me, the M9 is the most non-ergonomic pistol I have ever used. Total POS in my experience. LOVE my 1911s. Liked the Glocks I've owned.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2022, 08:04:14 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^Fair enough

I ordered three additional 14-round magazines for my pistol the day before yesterday. I took delivery of one -14 round mag and three-13 round magazines today! Not sure about the math of all that, but that's where I am at the moment.

I also ordered a Blackhawk 1911 right-hip paddle holster today. I got that in as well, and immediately discovered the fat-boy Rock Island 1911 A2 does not fit in the holster...It is too fat!

I guess I now own another holster for a 1911 pistol and don't yet own one to fit my newest addition...

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2023, 09:29:26 AM »
So how's it treating you? Get a holster yet?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 10:25:11 AM »
So how's it treating you? Get a holster yet?
Just fired it some down at Matt Atkins's place near Savannah. Have a really cool vid of Kat popping off a few rounds in slow-mo, I'll try to post it here, it's a FB vid. The thing printed in about the same place with both Nate and I firing it, and that is 11" low at 20 meters. Matt gave us some old-school lead bullet cartridges and it digested them just fine. So, I have to get some range time on this one and adjust the sights a bunch (I haven't yet) and I'll have a very cool pistol with this one.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »
Just fired it some down at Matt Atkins's place near Savannah. Have a really cool vid of Kat popping off a few rounds in slow-mo, I'll try to post it here, it's a FB vid. The thing printed in about the same place with both Nate and I firing it, and that is 11" low at 20 meters. Matt gave us some old-school lead bullet cartridges and it digested them just fine. So, I have to get some range time on this one and adjust the sights a bunch (I haven't yet) and I'll have a very cool pistol with this one.

sounds good.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2023, 05:09:28 PM »
Purdy, nothing like a 45.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2023, 07:15:33 PM »
 :likebutton:

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal