Hello Guest

Author Topic: Tahoe for a DD?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Tahoe for a DD?
« on: May 09, 2022, 10:41:36 PM »
Guys, looking for a DD and thinking a used Chevy Tahoe will fit the bill.  I like the 2007-15. 5.3, 4L60/65, 4x4, no sun roof and not black are about my only "needs". My Dmax is great, but 238k miles and want to use it more for towing with the miles on it.

My price range is in the 10K area, lower the mileage the better. 150k is median, some way higher. I think the "tow package" includes the 9.5 rear, but not sure. Would probably lift a hair for 33/32s on it with light towing. The 5.3 is solid as is the 4L60. Don't really need the 3rd row and the fold down 2nd gives me lots of room.

Think I am in the ballpark but any feedback? Little pic of the body style, just like it.

(darn mod moved to the right place)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2022, 10:50:18 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Tahoe for a DD?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2022, 10:52:07 PM »
Leave the screen closed and you won’t even know it has a sun roof. Don’t open it and it won’t start leaking.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 06:15:57 PM »
stay away from early 07-mid 08. bring a mechanical oil pressure gauge with you to the lot. most of the time it's just the screens blocked up, but some can have some are worse than others. 14+ w/ the 12 bolt has the bigger 9.5" in the 5.3L or 9.76 in the 6.2L
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 07:47:02 PM »
So its a gauge issue, not an engine issue? Don't want the later model, body is to busy and they cost way more.

I understand in 15 they went to Wifi reporting for engine issues. (you can't hide)

I want the 5.3, not sure if it came with a 4.8, 6.2 get poor mileage.

Did they all come with same ratios, or is the tow lower.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 07:48:26 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 11:39:25 PM »
I would expand what ElTator said to about 2012.
'06 would be my choice...hard to beat....pre AFM/DOD. The newer ones have worse trannys and eventually direct injection. Neither of which I like.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 12:38:14 AM »
The 06 is the "classic" body, new body started in 07. So it looks like at least and 09 then.

Whats wrong with direct injection? Is there is a year I really want to avoid the afm/dod issue? I see many fixes from plug in to major kits. Really not looking for a project right now, but a little work is OK.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »
We have a 08 suburban and 09 Tahoe. Both have the 5.3 and both right at 180,000 miles. I have had a little trouble. At around 150k you will have to start looking at ball joints. We had to put them on the Tahoe but not the suburban yet but hey are getting bad. On the suburban I had the heater hose fitting break and lost all my coolant. Then I had to replace the O ring on the oil pick up tube. Sitting at a stop sign and lost all oil pressure. I gave it some gas and pressure came back but it was low. 

When we go to Omaha, I like to take the Tahoe because it gets around better in parking lots. The suburban rides better and has way more room especially after I pulled the 3rd row out. I tow a small trailer for scout campouts. It does pretty good.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2022, 09:02:12 AM »
The 06 is the "classic" body, new body started in 07. So it looks like at least and 09 then.

Whats wrong with direct injection? Is there is a year I really want to avoid the afm/dod issue? I see many fixes from plug in to major kits. Really not looking for a project right now, but a little work is OK.
One thing I'd add to the conversation is the transmission. Do you really want a 4-speed when you can get a 6 speed? 07 was a 4-speed, 08 and beyond is a six speed.
So here's my thinking: But an 08-14. Go for zero rust and low miles. Then from the get-go, remove all the DOD with a new torque cam, lifters, pushrods and tune. Enjoy 75 more horsepower and drive it forever with the 6-speed providing better towing and day to day driving. That's what I would do. Oh and stop by to visit Don and he'd help you bolt in his 14 bolt semi floater 4.10 axle out of his 02...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2022, 10:08:32 AM »
So its a gauge issue, not an engine issue? Don't want the later model, body is to busy and they cost way more.

I understand in 15 they went to Wifi reporting for engine issues. (you can't hide)

I want the 5.3, not sure if it came with a 4.8, 6.2 get poor mileage.

Did they all come with same ratios, or is the tow lower.

it's typically a clogged pre-filter screen issue, but you can easily verify with the mechanical gauge if you have a toasted motor or a dirty screen. I will say with southern OR dirty fuel from CA, I'm dealing with check engine lights a lot more due to direct injection. actually NEED to run injector cleaner every couple tanks now, not just some parts store snake oil. stay up on it and you're fine. 07.5+ is the new body, but i always avoid 1st gen changes, so 09+ makes sense to me at least. almost all 3.42, some 3.73 but could be ordered with 4.10. RPO codes in the glove box sticker:
GU4=3.08 GU6=3.42 GT4=3.73 GT5=4.10 G80= W/ Govloc, which most w/ AWD do not have, but selectable 4WD do. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2022, 11:22:01 AM »
Thx, still looking and will go when I sell thee bobcat. 2008+, run a afm module and if I have issue later do the full delete. West coast truck so no rust.

Looks like the 6sp where on the 2009+.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 12:28:28 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2022, 01:23:55 PM »
Went to look at one Wednesday, guy wanted way to much and it had lots of little issues. Had a nice exhaust, nasty tires wheels, dings and bad paint all over. It was a towed vehicle and the OO put warning/brake lights in the rear door!

I see what I want around, but normally 3hrs away or not 4x4. Still looking

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2022, 07:01:46 PM »
Went to look at one Wednesday, guy wanted way to much and it had lots of little issues. Had a nice exhaust, nasty tires wheels, dings and bad paint all over. It was a towed vehicle and the OO put warning/brake lights in the rear door!

I see what I want around, but normally 3hrs away or not 4x4. Still looking
I looked at a bunch of 96-99 1500’scand was sorely disappointed everyone wanted high $ for the worst vehicles.

Didn’t know they made a 2wd Tahoe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2022, 11:56:58 PM »
Most are 2x4, most have the 5.3, some have the aam 9.5 rear. I see em around here all the time.

Lots on FB, but sellers are either flaky or don't answer. 10k is about right for what I want, it will show.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2022, 05:17:35 PM »
Not that I need another project. But looking at a 2007 without motor for under $4K. Used motors run about 1k with decent mileage. Just got me thinking is all, would be in for under 5k, is a 4sp but is 4x4. Trying to get the build sheet picture now.

Might go look at it Wednesday. Has a recently rebuilt tranny and maybe a rebuilt shortblock. I have a whole 2002 engine sitting here too.

Not real promising right now. Besides just getting it, the AC has been drained and open for around 6 months and DMV says over $1000 to register with back fees.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 07:33:27 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 09:36:57 PM »
Utah has tons of 4x4 vrs.  Time to widen your search. That’s what every mom drives here to the grocery store and soccer practice

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 09:39:04 PM »
There are plenty out here they just want to much.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 01:23:37 PM »
Thx D but not much better than out here. Don't want to start with 200k, trying to keep under 150k.

There are so many 2007s its nuts, might just do that with the low mileage though.

I passed on the one above, too much to deal with.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2022, 11:13:23 AM »
bring a mech oil pressure tester with you on inspections for 07.5+ JR.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2022, 01:36:14 PM »
Not sure if I could tap that easy enough during an inspection. Isn't the issue in the rear? Unless there is a port up front.

Wonder if a code reader would tell me? Probably not reading off the ECM.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2022, 05:57:56 PM »
Not sure if I could tap that easy enough during an inspection. Isn't the issue in the rear? Unless there is a port up front.

Wonder if a code reader would tell me? Probably not reading off the ECM.

That's the start of the variable cylinder shut down feature, and clogged up oil screens leading to false pressure readings like what Don's boy went through. 50/50 shot clogged filter or toasted motor. fueling issues on the early ones too in combination with the oil pressure and variable cylinder BS. maybe Ken has some better details, but i would aim for an 06 or 10+ when they started getting out of Obama era bailout construction.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2022, 06:10:15 PM »
Yes, I know what the issues are and really want a 10 or better. Lots of info out there when you know about it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2022, 12:20:15 AM »
So what is that magic dollar figure you are looking to spend?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2022, 11:10:02 AM »
10K, they are there, just seem to be far away. Might be the first thing I finance in years.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2022, 04:18:33 PM »
Yes, I know what the issues are and really want a 10 or better. Lots of info out there when you know about it.

10-4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2022, 07:16:09 PM »
I made a deal on this; https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5462413007212394

Got it for well under listed price and first time in a while I'll be driving something less then a decade old.

Very good condition gov vehicle so I know service was done. Needs a front center console is about it but I found those local for around $200 new.

I kinda like the way it looks even being white.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2022, 10:39:36 AM »
I like that too. Plain, all business, but has that "rough use" element to it.
5.3? 4 speed or 6?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2022, 07:58:36 PM »
So much for price “non negotiable”

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2022, 11:18:38 PM »
Yep, picked it up today. Was not fun at the credit union or the drive back.

CU wanted to know all kinds of stuff to get the $$$, but they had it. (still working, what I'm buying, looked at my ID about 3 times) Can you imagine if they had gotten the $600 limit in there?? I grabbed 11k and added a little I had tucked away for this with T/L.

Has a couple dings we found when I picked it up, nothing the dent guy can't fix. Basic for sure, no real DIC but enough. Was a BLM Tahoe out of Tx. Nitto 33x75/17s on it that look new. Few other things but guess I will start a thread for the "fluid change"

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=5173.0

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal