GENERAL TOPICS > Coffee Induced Early Morning Rant

Sheep Dogs

<< < (2/5) > >>

Wilbur:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on June 13, 2016, 12:21:45 PM ---Point of order: One does not have to have served, be a soldier or a LEO to be a Sheep Dog. It's DNA stuff that our maker built into all of us. That is, we are all one of the three.

--- End quote ---

Don I appreciate that.....I guess my point was that many times I choose not to carry....and that is solely on me as the article points out so well. The comments about the guy in the church being shot up struck a chord. I can imagine no greater hell than living through something like that and having the regret of not being prepared afterwards. I really appreciate you posting this.

cj7ox:
Thanks for posting this, Don. I've had occasion to meet LTC Grossman, back in 1996 when he was the tactics committee team chief for ROTC Advanced Camp. He made such an impression on me, I went and bought "On Killing" at my first opportunity. If you have not read it, you should. Great book on the psychology of killing, and how Army training was adjusted over the years based on the studies he talks about. I am definitely a Sheepdog, but am prohibited by our government from carrying every day. Maybe that will change after November.

TexasRedNeck:
I've heard bits of this but never the full essay. Thanks for posting

stewie:

--- Quote from: Flyin6 on June 13, 2016, 12:21:45 PM ---Wil,

I posted this up as a sticky because 1. We seem to reference this often, and 2. It serves well to explain the mentality a lot of us share

And

Point of order: One does not have to have served, be a soldier or a LEO to be a Sheep Dog. It's DNA stuff that our maker built into all of us. That is, we are all one of the three.

--- End quote ---

I was unable to serve because of knee issues that kept me from running for many years. I tried to become a cop at one point, but God led me away from that. I worked in the firearms industry, trained a hell of a lot in weapons and tactics, but all of this as a "civilian". I've found that unless you've "served", you get no respect in many areas. Overtime, i felt many of those in the firearms industry were self absorbed jerks who "served". those who didnt were talked down to and often told to shut up in certain terms... "what does he know, he never wore a helmet"? (in regards to a very well known firearms instructor). I chose to exit that world and frankly stay away from it in many fashions because it's certainly setup as a hierarchy with people like me being bottom of totum pole. I refuse to train with people who seek to give me different training (or deny me) because i am a civvy nor one who seeks for me to prove via background check or display of certain govt documents that i am "approved" to own inanimate objects.

Perhaps i need a thread for this rant of mine, but it's bothered me for years.

cj7ox:

--- Quote from: stewie on January 05, 2017, 03:25:44 PM ---
I was unable to serve because of knee issues that kept me from running for many years. I tried to become a cop at one point, but God led me away from that. I worked in the firearms industry, trained a hell of a lot in weapons and tactics, but all of this as a "civilian". I've found that unless you've "served", you get no respect in many areas. Overtime, i felt many of those in the firearms industry were self absorbed jerks who "served". those who didnt were talked down to and often told to shut up in certain terms... "what does he know, he never wore a helmet"? (in regards to a very well known firearms instructor). I chose to exit that world and frankly stay away from it in many fashions because it's certainly setup as a hierarchy with people like me being bottom of totum pole. I refuse to train with people who seek to give me different training (or deny me) because i am a civvy nor one who seeks for me to prove via background check or display of certain govt documents that i am "approved" to own inanimate objects.

Perhaps i need a thread for this rant of mine, but it's bothered me for years.

--- End quote ---

I hear ya! I've been fortunate to have received a good bit of my firearms instruction from a "civie", and it was all good stuff. I've also done some firearms training with SF guys, and they were all as humble and respectful as can be. I have a feeling a lot of the "military" guys who you've been exposed to are no longer serving for a reason. True professionals don't have to thump their chests to get respect.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version