Hello Guest

Author Topic: Help with new fuel lines  (Read 3038 times)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Help with new fuel lines
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:38:59 PM »
The fuel lines on my '06 LBZ are pretty far gone having come from Wisconsin. I bought new ones via a dealer on eBay, I couldn't beat the price! $203 w/ free shipping vs $350 for aftermarket.

Anyway, received them yesterday and a quick glance inside the box before FedEx left they looked OK, but upon further review today...

They had to bend them at the flex/rubber section to fit them in the box. That kink is no bueno.

So, I have two options -- contact the seller/dealer and send them back (probably $50 or more in shipping costs, plus a possible restocking fee), or try to come up with a way to make it work.  The first thought that comes to mind is some AN fittings with flexible hose.

Now, I don't know a thing about AN fittings or how they're measured or what I would need to get this to work.  I'm thinking that I'd need to treat this like brake lines and use a compression nut on the hard-line side and flare the line, the compression nut would then connect to an AN fitting that is compression to a flexible line. Thing is, I don't know where to begin with pieces and parts. I know the supply line is 1/2" OD (.510" according to calipers) and the return line is 3/8" OD (.385").

So, what do I need to get?
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with new fuel lines
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:38:30 PM »
The fuel lines on my '06 LBZ are pretty far gone having come from Wisconsin. I bought new ones via a dealer on eBay, I couldn't beat the price! $203 w/ free shipping vs $350 for aftermarket.

Anyway, received them yesterday and a quick glance inside the box before FedEx left they looked OK, but upon further review today...

They had to bend them at the flex/rubber section to fit them in the box. That kink is no bueno.

So, I have two options -- contact the seller/dealer and send them back (probably $50 or more in shipping costs, plus a possible restocking fee), or try to come up with a way to make it work.  The first thought that comes to mind is some AN fittings with flexible hose.

Now, I don't know a thing about AN fittings or how they're measured or what I would need to get this to work.  I'm thinking that I'd need to treat this like brake lines and use a compression nut on the hard-line side and flare the line, the compression nut would then connect to an AN fitting that is compression to a flexible line. Thing is, I don't know where to begin with pieces and parts. I know the supply line is 1/2" OD (.510" according to calipers) and the return line is 3/8" OD (.385").

So, what do I need to get?
I'd send them back or file a claim for reimbursement, Not your fault, and sellers responsibility the way I see it
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 09:40:04 PM »
I agree with Don....they CHOSE to kink them by sending them in a box that was too small. I would call them (if you can) and call your cc company and say you were sold defective goods. No way would I accept that.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 10:04:06 PM »
Well, I'll give it a shot... but with what it took to get them here (ordered 7/17, supposed delivery by 7/24, didn't ship until I called them 7/27, arrived 8/4), I doubt I'll have much luck with them. I'm protected by eBay/PayPal, so if they give me grief then I can take it up with them, next would be the CC company. Last resort would be figure out some kind of flexible hose connection myself.
Ryan

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 10:23:20 PM »
I agree with those guys... send them back.

But, if you decide not to, don't make it complicated. Carefully cut off the 1/2 crimps...Do Not nick the shoulders behind them or they WILL leak, remove the hose, and install a new 1/2 fuel hose with regular clamps (because I think there's regular nipples on them). If there isn't a good nipple, make one with a flaring tool. Don't over think it. That is the suction line...no pressure.. I would leave the 3/8 side alone if it somewhat returns to it's roundness. ...that's the low pressure return....still important to not be restricted, but not life and death if it's a bit distorted.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:05:05 PM »
Well, a little update... eBay seller has offered to return them and pay for the shipping. Thing is, at $200 this whole set is a steal. List price according to invoice is $336, aftermarket without all the clamps/mounting brackets is $350, but comes in two sections with quick disconnects. So I replied back to them (paraphrased):

"Rather than spend money on return shipping and more on shipping for a replacement, just refund me part of the purchase price, the amount that you'd spend on the return shipping, and I'll have them fixed locally".

Still waiting on a response.

In the meantime, took them down to a local hydraulic/pneumatic hose and line shop to get their opinion. Guy down there, Scott, didn't seem to think the kink in the hose was that bad, but I'm still wary of it. He said it would probably cost about $60-70 to re-do that flexible line if that's what I end up wanting to do. AN fittings would cost a lot more.

At this point I'm just waiting to see what the seller has to say before I ship them back.
Ryan

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »
It sounds like Scott doesn't realize the issues that a dmax suffers from collapsed hoses, because of the vacumn they endure.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
Precisely Ken!  :)
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 02:44:08 PM »
Well gentlemen, I'm happy to report that this was finally resolved, no thanks to eBay.  Called eBay yesterday to seek assistance in this matter and they basically told me that the seller had already issued a return shipping label and that I would need to send them back because the seller had agreed to accept them back. Wouldn't even reach out to the seller to ask them to respond to my messages. Basically told me to try contacting them again via phone since they have an eBay store with the phone # listed.

So I called them up and actually got right through to the parts guy that handles all the eBay stuff. He was very understanding and asked me if the box was an original ACDelco box that these were shipped in, so I went and looked and it did not appear to be so because there was another piece of cardboard box taped onto the top of this one that had the ACDelco labels and original shipping info to the dealer on it. So he said that they have another line set in stock and made sure he had my number and went to check it out to make sure it is in good condition. Called me back a short while later and everything looks good. He had his shipping guys pull the box open (a full 8.5 foot long box, not 5.5 foot long like the previous) and stuff some additional packing material in for protection and he got it shipped out yesterday, should arrive by Monday. And then he told me that his boss doesn't even want the damaged lines back and that I can just trash them!

So, even if I re-sell this brand new set that is coming to me on Monday, I could have the originals fixed and be good to go!

If anyone needs some Duramax CCLB fuel lines, I would make you a deal on them. 

Now I just need time to get all my other projects finished up so I can focus on getting the inside channel of the frame rail cleaned up and painted before installing the new fuel and brake lines.

TL;DR - eBay support is useless. Dealer is sending new lines, don't want old ones back. Should be here Monday.
Ryan

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 03:20:37 PM »
That's great to hear Ryan, glad they took care of you!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 05:28:26 PM »
That's the way it should work !! Good for you.
When you first posted on this, I was trying to recall if GM packaged them that way (folded) or not, but it's been a while since I bought some from them. I guess that answers the question.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »
Thanks Ken. I was trying to be very patient throughout this whole ordeal and it took all I had to not lash out at the guy at the dealership when he answered the phone LOL

Pretty sure the idiots in shipping were to blame for folding them to get them in the box.
Ryan

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 11:19:20 PM »
Glad it turned out good.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
Good for you!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 04:58:44 PM »
Hey all - just some follow-up. I'm still planning to 'fix' the original set (whether it be having a new flex section crimped on, or just cut that section out and put in a lift pump), so I just posted the replacement set of lines up for sale to recoup some of my original cost.

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=1531.0
Ryan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal