Hello Guest

Author Topic: Wheel spacers  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
Wheel spacers
« on: April 14, 2015, 11:55:51 PM »
So its getting about that time for new tires and was looking at getting some new rims for the truck along with goodyear duratracs but from what I've learned from another guy with the same setup I will need .5" spacers in the rear so my tires don't touch. He couldn't get a .5" so he has two .25" spacers on each side and says he has put 100k miles pulling 18k-25k almost daily without problem. These are the .25" that I could double up on each side.

Could yall educate me on wheel spacers and would I have anything to worry about with spacers that small? Just don't want to take a drive and see one of my tires rolling down the road beside me.
2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel spacers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:01 AM »
Generally speaking spacers are not a good idea

But why you ask

Well first of all they take away that much lug nut engagement

There are other reasons, such as applying increased leverage forces on the wheel bearings. You can easily see this when guys (like me) change wheels which move the center of the wheel outward. This may or may not be a problem. You see it in the front end of Chevys with Unit bearings that don't last very long.

As for the lug nut engagement, most 3/4 ton and up trucks have very generous length lug nuts and usually of a 9/16" diameter. Taking away 1/2" of lug nut engagement wouldn't affect clamping force at all, so in your case, you're probably fine.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »
I believe the wheels are hub centric so you'll want to make sure that the wheels still mate up the correct way.  I can't recall how wide that flange is.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 01:18:38 PM »
Most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric. As long as you have as much thread engagement as dia you are OK. As long as the lugs are tapered it will center fine, just no washers on flat rims!! Thread coming out of an open nut in even better and required for race vehicles.

I have 1 inch spacers I made for my elky over 10 years ago, no issues. I have loaded it to the extreme to the point of no travel. (billet with nuts and studs)

They are used on many of these huge trucks running truck rims, few issues if any issues. Your rim is cast alum and just bolted on, right.

Now with all that said if I run them on my truck they will be STEEL!!! It works on duallys from the factory and are just cast iron.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Pulley

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 05:27:17 PM »
The spacers I showed are made from aluminum by Fred Geoske which everyone talks very highly of. The only thing about his spacers is he only sells a pair of 1/4 inch for $170 so I would have to buy two pairs for $340 to get the 1/2 inch I need. The wheels I'm looking at are eagle 058. I want to keep the wheels 16 inch so I can run the stock wheel on the inside.

2001 Silverado 3500 Drw Crew Cab 2wd 6.0 Gasser High Flow Mufflers and S&B Intake
2006 2500 ccsb 4x4 lbz

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 06:08:00 PM »
I just tried the set of hub centric spacers I have and they the H1 wheels just fine. I looked at them and think the studs in them should be set in alot more material. I got them off a dually that was probably running just 1 wheel in the rear. 
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal