Hello Guest

Author Topic: Wen 2000 watt Inverter-Generator review  (Read 6583 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Wen 2000 watt Inverter-Generator review
« on: May 14, 2016, 01:08:47 PM »
I have thought about a portable generator for some time. Size, weight and $$ were an issue as I want to use it for camping and small projects. I already have a 5000watt for the house and 3000watt in the TH so backup here is set. Plus my solar has a 1500 watt circuit when the grid is down.

Sound level was another factor along with run times to be user friendly. It also had to have a 12v charge outlet for obvious reasons and some smaller ones do not which I looked at too.

I could go Honda or Yamaha but if you were lucky you got those for $1000. Both are around 45lbs and tend to be the standard.

Westinghouse kept coming up and they even have a 2400 watt unit, but the price reflects that and closes in around $700. Still not bad, but I thought I could do better.

After some searching I found the Wen 2000 watt Inverter-Generator. Watched a few videos (had time on my hand with my surgery) and it seemed to be right up there with the brands on power, weight and US support. It even has a 2 year warranty and was just $450 about everywhere. I ordered it via the local Sears, used my discounts and got it out the door for $435 with tax. Another reason I chose it was the engine is an exact copy of the Yamaha, so I ordered a magnetic dipstick for it.

I wanted to deal with a local store if issues came up, so about a week later I picked it up. Even got the brand cover for it for another $14 as it may spend time on the shelf waiting.

It came packed well with a nice tool kit and 12v charge cord. Manuals were sealed up but it included no oil. So cheap wally oil was obtained and the dipstick arrived.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Wen 2000 watt Inverter-Generator review
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 01:26:09 PM »
Unpacked it, added cheap 5-30 oil for break in and the magnetic dipstick. Zip tied the old dipstick to the motor just in case (otherwise I know it get lost).

You do have to pull a side cover off to check/change the oil. Just 3 phillips machine screws. Has a nice little tray so you don't make a mess. Only takes about 1/3 quart and the included funnel worked fine but could use an angled spout.

Looking inside a little I noticed a fuel drain from the fuel bowl out the bottom. That is nice for storage. Some gens include a fuel shutoff but I don't see one on this. Everything seemed neat, loose wires zipped tied and the electronics were encased in what looks like resin under the outlet panel away from the engine and exhaust.

The power panel has two 120v AC outputs, ECO switch, On/Off/Start switch, 12v DC outlet (with breaker) and a USB plug. There are also 3 LEDs for output, overload and low oil (which has auto shutdown) which is the norm for most generators now.

It measures 11 wide, 19 long and 18.5 tall.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 02:08:36 PM »
The ECO switch is simply a "smart throttle" that varies under load and extends run times. If using tools that demand full power you don't use this, you let it run in normal. I have not run a full tank yet but will add that in later when I do. The unit can also be paralleled but does not come with the cables.

Fuel capacity is 1 gallon for what they say is a 6 hour run time at 50% load. They say it should be grounded for any use, but who does that!

With that in mind it is rated at 1600 watts running, 2000 surge as most gens in this size are. 13.3 amps for the 120v outlets and 8.3 amps for the 12v DC plug. Good for running about anything handheld, like drills and miter saws.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2016, 02:36:20 PM »
I don't know JR, but that looks to be a quality unit and a great buy!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2016, 03:43:10 PM »
Looks nice, what is the decibel level?
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2016, 03:43:51 PM »
More to follow.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2016, 05:13:32 PM »
Looks like a decent one JR. Good write-up.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »
So I gases it up in the garage and fired it up. 2 pulls, never run before sitting on that blue table. Both garage doors were open for good ventilation.

I let it idle for about 10 minutes in ECO mode then ran it for another 10 full power. During this I took Decibel readings from 2 to 10 feet away. I feel it was a little louder being it was on the table with nothing around it and sound could bounce off walls and ceiling. I used a App for my phone, in fact several and they matched all the way through.

Up close it was right at 60db with the exhaust pointing away. When I moved around some it varied from 58-60db. This was in full throttle mode (non-ECO).

About 10 ft away I got the low 50s, like 52-53 and varied little. I then ran it in ECO mode with a 900 watt load heater and it still held the same db.

This was done during the break in with older gas, but it ran fine, no complaints. This amounted to about 1/2 hour run time, so I figured it was broken in and needed and oil change.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2016, 07:43:00 PM »
Did the oil change and glad I did since with just 1/2 hour it was fairly dark and some residue was on the magnetic drain.

With the lip it was as simple leaning it over. No oil got inside the machine at all. I used Napa 5-30 Full Synthetic that just happen to be on same for $2.99 quart. It is made by Valvoline so I am happy there. Even soaked up a little extra.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 07:44:42 PM »
Then I added and Hour meter I got on ebay for under $15. Just wrap the wire around the spark plug wire, mount the digital gauge that is epoxy sealed and done. Has a lifetime battery and reads in 1/10 hours. I placed it near the front panel on the frame where a hole was located. I used double sided foam tape and a zip tie. Hardest part was wrapping the wire around the plug, which I secured with a couple zip ties. The other end just gets pushed into a slot on the back, but I sealed it in with some silicone.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2016, 07:53:41 PM »
It started on the first pull and I ran it just long enough to rest the meter. About 6 minutes and 1/10 showed up. I screwed the side back on and then tested another toy I picked up.

Weight was an issue, so I got a HD scale. This one goes up to 1100 lbs/500 kg. I had a fishing scale for up to 100lb but always wanted a better one.

Hanging it from the ceiling, setting the tare with a strap it comes to 49.6lbs on the new scale and 49.4lbs on the fishing scale. I did a test with the HD scale and a 10lb barbell weight was 10.1, so it seems a tad over.

However I am happy with it and for under $50 it will come in handy. Like actually KNOWING what a bumper weighs!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
Then I put the cover on. It has elastic pull straps around the bottom and it fits fine without even snugging them up. It is still loose enough to grab the handle, but doubt I would get to far without wrapping my hand around that handle.

So far I am happy with it. It seems a few pounds heavier than others, but just as quiet and half the price. I also found this tract of it running in the garage as I walked around about 5 ft away.

I will follow this up and run it outside with a second camera to see the DB reading under full load and get run times.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2016, 09:17:04 PM »
Nice write up
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 09:33:06 PM »
Thx, glad to share.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:35:14 AM »
^^^^Concur, good write-up!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 12:21:13 AM »
Good write up! I have a 5500w Coleman 11hp I'm trying to sell but this doesn't seem like the time of year to sell generators. It's just overkill for what I need and one or two units like this would be perfect (and fit on a shelf in the shed).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:22:56 AM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »
I have a 5000 watt Troybuilt with a Briggs engine. Noisy but powers about everything. The 3000 I have in the TH is a much quieter and runs off the TH fuel station so there is 40gal there of run time. Both have their place in the long run. 5000 for 220v and lots of power and the 3000 I could run a long time using the house solar that gives me 1500 watts when the power is out.

Did a little more with the Wen, namely a run time test. With a 925 watt load (little over 1/2) it ran for 7.5 hours and never missed a beat. Thats on 1 gal of fuel. Started on the second pull (1st was a lame pull) with older reg gas. it didn't seem as quiet and showed 62db but it was up against the fence. Think I need to try it sitting in the yard with nothing around to reflect the sounds. You could here it, but it was not loud at all.

Then I checked the oil. It was full but way dirtier than what I expected, so I changed it again. There was a little black on the magnetic dipstick but it had to be rubbed off. I will put this down as not enough break in time. I mean it uses $1 of oil so what is the harm.

Hour gauge worked great and no sign of any leaks or issues when I pulled both side panels off. I'll mount the other on the big gen

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal