Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1394794 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #3250 on: April 16, 2017, 07:28:55 PM »
I worshiped one really awesome God, and his son Jesus. I did that while pulling "Guard duty" at the church while all the Chisters came to a really crowded church.

Made me feel like making up a sign reminding all these people that the church was open the rest of the year other than Christmas and Easter...

Was good to serve my fellow man and worship our God!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: April 16, 2017, 09:20:51 PM »
I worshiped one really awesome God, and his son Jesus. I did that while pulling "Guard duty" at the church while all the Chisters came to a really crowded church.

Made me feel like making up a sign reminding all these people that the church was open the rest of the year other than Christmas and Easter...

Ahh the good ol Christmas, Easter worshippers. It's like the gym for the month of January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: April 16, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »

I had the same feeling today.....but curious how others approach this. Part of me wanted to say something but I bit my tongue and instead just said how nice it was to see them and hope to see them next week. I don't want to drive people away so just figure be nice and hope they "get it". Best I can do I guess.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: April 16, 2017, 10:42:51 PM »
^^^Not ours to judge

But none of us can help feeling like we are surrounded by hypocrites.

Again, That's their walk. I just serve and worship for myself and shepherd my immediate family

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: April 16, 2017, 11:46:23 PM »
You know, we didn't go today. Since moving here we have struggled finding a home church. We were very fortunate having a great one where we came from. As such we haven't been regularly attending any particular one.

Kids have actually been going with friends to three different churches. Crazy sounding I know, but they all seem to be on a good path so what do I know? Then last night there was a disagreement between HH6 & I about where to go this morning. So we didn't, and rather than feel like a hypocrite I'm ok with that. Doesn't mean we didn't celebrate Easter in our home or know the reason for the day. It just is what it is & there's a plan to try another church next week.

So there are always two sides to every story I suppose.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #3255 on: April 17, 2017, 02:48:39 AM »
You know, we didn't go today. Since moving here we have struggled finding a home church. We were very fortunate having a great one where we came from. As such we haven't been regularly attending any particular one.

Kids have actually been going with friends to three different churches. Crazy sounding I know, but they all seem to be on a good path so what do I know? Then last night there was a disagreement between HH6 & I about where to go this morning. So we didn't, and rather than feel like a hypocrite I'm ok with that. Doesn't mean we didn't celebrate Easter in our home or know the reason for the day. It just is what it is & there's a plan to try another church next week.

Nothin' wrong with that. After all, it's what's in your heart that counts.

We had plans to go this morning here in Oahu, find a church and be guests. But my pregnant wife fell asleep on the couch this morning after breakfast, and I couldn't bring myself to wake her.

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: April 17, 2017, 07:31:02 AM »
My son that is a senior in high school had an interview for scholarship Saturday in a town 3 hours away. So my cousin rode along and we made a day of it. 6 hour round trip and he didn't get it. A little disappointing but that's life I guess. I let the kid drive home and I don't know what he was thinking but he passed someone over a solid line. It wasn't solid when he started to pass but quickly ran out of room. I was in the passenger seat yelling at him no no no. Well he got a nice little a$$ chewing from me and my cousin in the back seat. Then sunday he went to town and came back with my 82 all muddy. Oh we went down some minimum maintenance roads. I have to wash your truck. Hes been driving my old pickup to school since he wreaked his car. Twice in 2 days hes proven he cant be resopnsable to drive my vehicles.  Hes going to be be riding the bus to school for a while.

Then last night I moved my juvenile chicks in with the adults. They are about 3 months old.  They have been in the same pen for a few days and seemed to get along fine. I started putting them in the coop. They dont know they are suppose to go in there at night. Well my big rooster attacked them. So we had little confrontation and he is in solitary confinement for a while. Until everyone else gets use to each other. Then he can come out. If he keeps it up he will be soup.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:51:18 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: April 17, 2017, 12:35:58 PM »
Spray Foam going in!!

Looks Good! Should tighten up this old farm house

Nice setup!
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: April 17, 2017, 01:14:40 PM »
Looks very similar to the operation we had come in and do the house.  Are they doing open or closed cell foam?  We had closed cell done and the foam had a blue color to it.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: April 17, 2017, 02:39:09 PM »

I second Dawg's comment- I was referring to the people who only come on the holidays but I have seen coming for years. When we changed churches it took a while to find one to our liking. And it does take time for sure to find that right match.

Ultimately what happens is between you and God and not for me or anyone else to say anything. But my point was how best to encourage people who for years only go on Christmas and Easter and try to get them to come more often. :) I hope that makes sense. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: April 17, 2017, 03:24:18 PM »
I wasn't offended by anything anyone here said just making note of our situation that is unorthodox it seems......

With that stated I read a lot on my own so me not going to church isn't that great of a deal anyhow. I think it is a good environment for the wife and girls though and the wife definitely needs her religion........ :shocked: lol

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: April 17, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »
The wife and I are in a somewhat similar dilemma.  We moved to the area about 4 years ago.  It took us a year to find a church we liked.  It was pretty small at the time but the pastor was new and it seemed like it would grow.  At the time we were the only young couple attending.  4 years later it is the same group of people.  We are still the youngest couple there,  and we aren't that young anymore.  It wouldn't be to big of an issue for my wife and I to overcome but we also need to consider our little girl.  Right now there are absolutely no young kids.  As my little girl isn't even a year old yet it still isn't to big of a deal but if it something doesn't change here shortly we will be on the search again. 

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: April 17, 2017, 04:17:25 PM »
I wasn't offended by anything anyone here said just making note of our situation that is unorthodox it seems......

With that stated I read a lot on my own so me not going to church isn't that great of a deal anyhow. I think it is a good environment for the wife and girls though and the wife definitely needs her religion........ :shocked: lol

Okay cool stlaser.....I just wanted to be sure.  :smiley:  :beercheers:

Its funny, I would probably be the same with you (reading more on my own than attending) but with our kids I felt it made sense to find a church as that way they heard from others the stuff they were hearing from the wife and I about how to treat other people, life lessons sort of stuff. I figured the reinforcement would be good. That being said I also have really come to appreciate what a larger group can accomplish working together and seeing what our little church has done when we're all (well most of us!  :rolleyes:) rowing in the same direction is very cool.

Good luck bear....I totally get where you're at. Yeah at 1 not that big a deal but you will want some other kids around in time.   

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: April 17, 2017, 06:46:12 PM »
I wasn't offended by anything anyone here said

We'll try harder next time.....

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: April 17, 2017, 06:48:16 PM »

Well maybe by the odor Ken's gf puts off...... :tongue:

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: April 17, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »

Nothin' wrong with that. After all, it's what's in your heart that counts.

We had plans to go this morning here in Oahu, find a church and be guests. But my pregnant wife fell asleep on the couch this morning after breakfast, and I couldn't bring myself to wake her.

Wait... What!? You guys are pregnant! Congrats man!! I must have missed the announcement!
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: April 17, 2017, 07:19:06 PM »
Thanks!

Heck, that might have been the announcement lol. We've kept it pretty low key :)

Due Sept 30, will find out boy/girl at next ultrasound in 4-5 weeks

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: April 17, 2017, 07:28:59 PM »

Well maybe by the odor Ken's gf puts off...... :tongue:
Or her ankles. :-o

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: April 17, 2017, 10:47:27 PM »
Thanks!

Heck, that might have been the announcement lol. We've kept it pretty low key :)

Yeah, I think this is news.
Congrats Kyle!
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: April 18, 2017, 11:42:36 AM »
Thanks!

Congratulations Dawg!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: April 18, 2017, 12:01:25 PM »
Congrats as well

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: April 18, 2017, 12:05:56 PM »
How bout a little update since I moved to a busier station on the "norf" end or town. My first shift there we ran two calls and slept all night, so that seemed about normal. The second shift we ran 10 calls with four coming at night. The ones I remember are:
1. Full arrest (We got a pulse back twice but as we handed him off to the hospital we lost it again).
2. Broken hip
3. Disconnected smoke detector at a college dorm room
4. Throat cutting (ear to ear type job. Luckily the guy had a fat neck and should live).
5. Lost hiker (turned out to be a big misunderstanding)
6. Man having seizures
I've forgotten a couple but the most interesting call came from an apartment complex around midnight. I made contact with the residents (about 5 of them) and started trying to figure out who my patient was. Finally figured out who I was there to see and he states that he feels kinda funny but thinks he is fine. That's when the family chimed in with why they called for him. Turns out my patient was an alcoholic, and although his family had offered him several drinks throughout he day he had refused all of them. Ergo, something must be wrong with him and he needs medical treatment..... So, after a brief moment to let that sink in, I explain that we cannot force him to go to the hospital against his wishes. That statement prompts his sister to emphatically, with wagging index finger of certainty, drop the medical bombshell we've all been waiting for. "Yeah, well he ain't throwd up all day neither!" Dear heaven above this job is a blast! Haha

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:22:54 PM by longball »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: April 18, 2017, 12:34:50 PM »
here you go

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: April 18, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »
That's wonderful.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: April 18, 2017, 02:22:09 PM »
...ain't throwd up all day! hahaha
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: April 18, 2017, 09:43:37 PM »
Congrats for sure

Now whats this about a call for a disconnected smoke alarm?

Went to Reno yesterday, needed a ME day. Was great. Ate great, wasn't rushed, scored some more 22lr (lots up there). Got just over 20mpg.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »
" I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.  When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry"

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:00 AM »
I have been where that was sung man times. Same place Nolte sprung Murphy in 48hrs.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: April 19, 2017, 02:55:15 AM »
Been working on this for the last 4 days in short spurts.... finally finished clay barring the wife's rig tonight. Borrowed the neighbor's dewalt buffer to work some scratches out and then get a nice coat of wax on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: April 19, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
For a "boy from KY" and the way Square D is coming together, I would think "One piece at a time" is another relevant Cash song to this site.
Reno huh? You get the stink washed off you yet?
Been working on this for the last 4 days in short spurts.... finally finished clay barring the wife's rig tonight. Borrowed the neighbor's dewalt buffer to work some scratches out and then get a nice coat of wax on it.

I love detailing the wife's rig, even though it's plain white, looks brand new after a good clay bar/wax.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: April 19, 2017, 11:17:47 AM »
Congrats for sure

Now whats this about a call for a disconnected smoke alarm?

Went to Reno yesterday, needed a ME day. Was great. Ate great, wasn't rushed, scored some more 22lr (lots up there). Got just over 20mpg.
I'd hazard a guess that the occupant wanted to smoke something in their dorm room without getting caught. Smoke detectors in those types of buildings are hard wired with a battery backup. They put it back in the wall but didn't reconnect the wires so it was sending a fault code to the monitoring station.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: April 19, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
For a "boy from KY" and the way Square D is coming together, I would think "One piece at a time" is another relevant Cash song to this site.
Reno huh? You get the stink washed off you yet?

I love detailing the wife's rig, even though it's plain white, looks brand new after a good clay bar/wax.

Yeah, for a 6 year old rig ours looks pretty darn good. :) Its a dark gray. I could never own a white vehicle, just too blah.
Ryan

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: April 19, 2017, 11:44:10 AM »
1st you're knocking me for selling the truck. now my color choices. can't do anything right in your eyes can I Dad! LOL I am not a fan of the "rental car white" either but she loves the darned thing. charcoal or "very dark pewter" according to GM is my go to gm paint unless I'm talking about a burgundy '66 Chevy II ss...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: April 19, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
HAHAHAHA
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: April 20, 2017, 03:40:13 AM »
I'd hazard a guess that the occupant wanted to smoke something in their dorm room without getting caught. Smoke detectors in those types of buildings are hard wired with a battery backup. They put it back in the wall but didn't reconnect the wires so it was sending a fault code to the monitoring station.

I don't doubt the disconnect for that reason. I just don't get why it is just not a maintenance issue vs a 911 response?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3285 on: April 20, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »
Pounded in a bunch of fence posts around my second chicken coop. Now I have to come up with another 100 ft of fence. Need a total of 200 but I salvaged 100 ft from my house yard.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: April 20, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »
1st you're knocking me for selling the truck. now my color choices. can't do anything right in your eyes can I Dad! LOL I am not a fan of the "rental car white" either but she loves the darned thing. charcoal or "very dark pewter" according to GM is my go to gm paint unless I'm talking about a burgundy '66 Chevy II ss...
Hey I never ragged on you personally ;)
Ryan

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: April 20, 2017, 11:45:51 PM »

I don't doubt the disconnect for that reason. I just don't get why it is just not a maintenance issue vs a 911 response?
That is a good question. If I had to answer I'd say it is due to the number of occupants in the building. Hospitals and malls work that way. Anything at all goes wonky with the alarm and they dispatch a truck to check it out. Once we've verified there's not fire we hope back on the truck and leave.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:47:12 PM by longball »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: April 20, 2017, 11:54:58 PM »
I can by that. We did welfare checks and such many a time, but normally just 1 unit.

On the Sub, I remounted a H1 tire having to cut down the Oring for re-use. Will order some more. Used a new bead-lock I will cover in the Spartan Thread then found the second tire had a stock run-flat and I didn't feel like working on that today.

Found a gm brake/clutch pedal on Pirate and grabbed it just in case I go that way.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:15 PM »
finally landed back in Houston today.  Been in a regional business planning session for the last 3 days.  Crystal ball, magic 8 ball, Ouija board and other stupid processes led to a final 2018 business plan.

Back home after a very hard landing in 25 mph winds and I swear Don was the pilot.  He came out and did the preflight chat with the flight attendant and basically said, this is a short flight, you know the process, dont ask the flight attendants whats on the drink menu, use the card in the seat back pocket.  We have 140 people to serve and 4 people to do it.  Get your act together.

Now headed to see my oldest in her dance recital

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: April 21, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
Sounds like something he'd say. Have fun at the recital, I'm headed home for yardwork before it rains then father daughter dance Saturday.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: April 21, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
Home after 2 days of 401k meetings. It's some of the best work (individuals) but back to back to back is draining. Yesterday was 8 hours with no break. Today was 5 then the 3 hour drive home. Glad to be home.  :smiley:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: April 21, 2017, 07:31:45 PM »
hey trn, what is the verdict of your decision making process in regards to TN vs stayin put?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:51 PM »
finally landed back in Houston today.  Been in a regional business planning session for the last 3 days.  Crystal ball, magic 8 ball, Ouija board and other stupid processes led to a final 2018 business plan.

Back home after a very hard landing in 25 mph winds and I swear Don was the pilot.  He came out and did the preflight chat with the flight attendant and basically said, this is a short flight, you know the process, dont ask the flight attendants whats on the drink menu, use the card in the seat back pocket.  We have 140 people to serve and 4 people to do it.  Get your act together.

Now headed to see my oldest in her dance recital

Sounds like how they'd treat you on United.... was it?  :huh:
Ryan

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:17 PM »
Ha. I kept all my teeth.

Nate thank you for asking. I turned down the job.  After careful consideration of family disruption, exponential effort for a linear pay increase I've decided to stay here.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:51 PM »
I was also wondering about the new job.
Glad you've made your decision. Sound logic on it as well.

Spent the day at the cabin.
Cut a bit more firewood. Supposed to get below zero tonight so I'll split it in the morning when it's a bit better. Turns out were still over three feet (that's how far I sunk) of snow in the bush. I wasn't on solid ground yet, could be as much as five feet but I think it's settled a bit. Time will tell once it's gone where the stumps are. Lol.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: April 22, 2017, 12:02:49 PM »

Nate thank you for asking. I turned down the job.  After careful consideration of family disruption, exponential effort for a linear pay increase I've decided to stay here.

I had wondered about this too. Sounds like a sound decision.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: April 22, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »
Interesting keeping up on everyone's lives

Thanks Kenneth for starting this never ending thread

And I hope others come in the mix so we can get to know other Real Men (and women) out there

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: April 22, 2017, 09:15:57 PM »
Mowed, trimmed the Maple trees (stick pick-up Monday), stocked up on provisions, barbecued a NY Strip and enjoyed a couple Buds thinking of Jane. 
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: April 22, 2017, 09:32:10 PM »
I picked up fence slats from the last wind storm
We went to my nieces Baptism today also. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal