Hello Guest

Author Topic: getting started  (Read 7832 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
getting started
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:00:38 AM »
So as a kid I used to watch and sometimes help my grandmother can or preserve food that was grown from the garden or picked fresh from the fields.  I also did not know that home preserving/canning was better if not tastier than that store bought stuff as well as cheaper in the long run.

I was not a big fan of eating what we canned because it didn’t come out of a can bought from the store with a flashy label on it.  That was until I got older and realized the value of what we were doing and just how much healthier, fresher and tastier the food was.

So lets start off with a few basics of what you will need in order to can or preserve food.
1. a pressure canner (not the same as a pressure cooker)
2. a large pot (used for sterilizing and or water bathing jars)
3. canning utensils
4. a good canning/preserving book
5. jars and lids
6. vinegar (store bought is the best because the acidic levels are a constant)
7. some regular cooking oil
8. salt (there are 2 kinds canning/pickling and kosher)

Once you have these items, you will be ready to start learning how to preserve/can food.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »
I haven't been canning anything but tuna for the past many years. what an easy way to hold all the fruits and garden items and the tomatoes that are so abundant this time of year. With the tuna, we have moved the operation outside and use propane to can with. Sure keeps the smell out of the house that way.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 11:53:38 AM »
New thread: How to can!!!!
Pretty please???
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 02:51:48 PM »
^^ I agree, canning tuna would save money since I love tuna sandwichs.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 06:26:39 PM »
Not really bobby, cause you would have to go to the east or west and catch it
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 07:30:49 PM »

I guess you could get some loins shipped to you but that is also costly. We drive to the beach and buy albacore tuna off the boat, around 100 lbs of 12 to 20 lb fish line caught, bled out and iced down. Have always fileted our self but those guys on the boat are fast and do a real good job and the mess factor at home would be worth the extra cost of having them do it. I will post a couple links, but think unless you have done a bunch of canning best to wait for the getting started thread before firing up a pressure canner and using glass jars. 10+lbs pressure for 100 minutes plus the startup and cool down time is not a go it alone first time canner thing

http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/articles/Recipe-Canning-Albacore-Tuna.aspx
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:32:46 AM by Bob/OlallaWa »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 08:58:58 PM »

The grocery store in the town I live in, plus Sam's Club and Costco have tuna in pieces like the Salmon come in. It's not ideal but, if it'd save me money over buying the cans/packages of tuna, then it's something I'd look into.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
Buying the jars, lids, and rings are a bit expensive but only the lids need to be replaced each time. You would need a pressure canner and the other canning tools. Don't know how much you would save, cost averaging will help bring the costs down,  but the tuna would taste much better for sure.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 09:37:06 AM »
Give me a day or 3 to get something together for canning inst.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:47:14 PM »
Hey guys, one quick tip on jars.... since canning has become much less common nowadays, lots of people get rid of their jars. My folks normally find jars at Goodwill and the like for SUPER cheap... If you're serious about getting into canning, swing into Goodwill regularly and look for jars. Great way to save some coin.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal