Hello Guest

Author Topic: Remington Model Seven  (Read 2556 times)

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Remington Model Seven
« on: February 10, 2017, 09:24:14 AM »
I have a .243 Model Seven compact I bought several years ago. The stock is too short for me but the gun shoots well. Last night I found a take off, 18" 308 Model Seven barrel for $50 so I bought it. My plan was to have the barrel threaded for a suppressor and install it on my action (I will have it blueprinted when the barrel is off), then drop the whole thing in a full sized stock. Then I got to thinking, why not just get a full size stock and thread the 243 barrel? With Barnes TTSX or Speer Grand Slam bullets and good shot placement I think it is adequate for whitetail and hogs. On top of that I would be taking off a known good barrel, for one that may or may not shoot. I guess this is a question of what I need vs what my perceived needs are. Thoughts, opinions or concerns? I would love to hear them.

Edit: It also just occurred to me that I am already stocked in components to reload .243. That is not the case for .308. Although I could find surplus brass cheaper for the .308, those savings would be offset somewhat by the increased bullet costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 10:40:52 AM by longball »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Remington Model Seven
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:10:58 AM »
I would go with which ever caliber you want it to be in.

.243 will be fine for the whitetail.  I'm sure it would be ok for hogs also out to a certain distance.

If you plan to shoot it a lot the .243 will probably wear out faster.

Also if target shooting the .243 would normally have a little less recoil.  Probably doesn't matter it you plan to shoot it suppressed though.

If you are reloading the .243 might be a little cheaper based on powder usage.

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Remington Model Seven
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 04:18:31 PM »
The more I think about it the more I'm thinking I should just stay with the 243. I can keep the 308 barrel and go that route if I ever change my mind. If I do that all it needs is an adult size stock to be useful at this point. I can always throw the compact stock back on if someone smaller needs to use it again.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 04:19:05 PM by longball »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
I have a full size 700 synthetic stock looking for a home. I got it to rebarrel my dads old 700 to 308 from 06, but decided to leave as is.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 05:27:41 PM »
I have a full size 700 synthetic stock looking for a home. I got it to rebarrel my dads old 700 to 308 from 06, but decided to leave as is.
Thank you but my rifle is a Model Seven and the stocks, unfortunately, do not interchange.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »

Nevermind.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:26:57 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 07:05:17 PM »
I did.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
I did.

You're correct, alas I read too quick. I withdraw my complaint...

This time.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:26:33 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »
I've NEVER done that before  :facepalm:

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
Remington Model Seven
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »
I got the 308 barrel in the mail last night. I have started a project without doing proper research so I'm going to have to figure something else out. From what I'm reading the OD of these barrels are too small to thread. The suppressor won't have enough shoulder to bump up against. I'm going to look into some QD options and see what is available.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:40:44 AM by longball »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 01:19:40 PM »
I got the 308 barrel in the mail last night. I have started a project without doing proper research so I'm going to have to figure something else out. From what I'm reading the OD of these barrels are too small to thread. The suppressor won't have enough shoulder to bump up against. I'm going to look into some QD options and see what is available.

What Suppressor? What mount?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 01:56:31 PM »

Seems like you could just thread the barrel a bit deeper & make your own jam nut setup with a set screw fixed against barrel to hold jam nut in place then screw suppressor on up to the jam nut. In my mind I envision an all thread coupler that has the threads reamed out on the action side (shorten overall length as it doesn't need to be that long) then on end where internal threads of coupler are reamed out drill & tap for a simple set screw. Now you have a custom jam nut that will thread on & act as a stop for the suppressor. Yeah, it's redneck but it would be a simple fix....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 02:01:33 PM »
Or just braze/solder a threaded sleeve over the muzzle? I wouldn't trust a clamp with a 308.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline longball

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »

What Suppressor? What mount?
SilencerCo Harvester or Gemtech Tracker was the two I was looking at.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
Or just braze/solder a threaded sleeve over the muzzle? I wouldn't trust a clamp with a 308.

Yep, nothing a little silver solder can't fix
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal