Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1384514 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #18950 on: November 22, 2023, 10:23:26 AM »
I did something like that on my Miller 212.

I crushed or broke something...which is not unusual for me...
That led to me pulling it apart. partially. That led to my buffing the case, buying a new cable, lead thing, and a new regulator.
I've found it is best not to buy things. Because if you do, it is a sure fire thing that you will eventually have to repair it and work on it.

Perhaps I can add a new "Axiom of work" here.

It would say something like:

Do not purchase nor in any way become entangled with anything that works or produces work, as it will surely cause you to also work.

^^^^ That sound about right???
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 10:24:08 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18951 on: November 22, 2023, 10:30:33 AM »
Sounds very right.

Now if the Amazon truck shows up before 10pm like they’re saying my new plasma will make it home with me. The cnc plas build is very close to go.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18952 on: November 22, 2023, 01:13:40 PM »
Heck, all I did was get new ground clamps for my mig and a plasma. The nice all brass ones, not bad at $17 each.

The amazon truck has its own "unloading" zone at my house. 5 users, but I am the best,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18953 on: November 23, 2023, 12:33:55 PM »
So the Amazon folks came through.
I’m at my retirement villa now.

Finishing up the oil change on my garage heater.
So back story on this little gem.

It came from the farm where I grew up.
Specifically the calving barn we had.

Yes you are reading it is 42 years old correctly.

It ran in the calving barn from ‘81/82 until we sold out of the pure bread market in the late 90’s. I was able to take it before the barn came down and I ran it in my garage for about ten or twelve years.
I rent from my employer and they had a garage heat program. Now I have their heater was about the end result and all above board.

So I figured this would make a good stop gap at the villa until I decide on the on floor heating bit and pieces.
Upon initial inspection the motor was very tight and needed attention.

Out with the motor and off with the fan.

Sleeve bearing motors such as this one will run forever as long as they don’t sieze and burn their winding. These bearings took a ton of oil and should serve me well for another couple decades if I stay on top of them. Motor free-wheeled like it should immediately after the drink of oil.

Cleaned up and ready to go.

And the stat was also NS.
Found that Home Depot “should” have a similar replacement. So it was added to my list as I would be in the area.

Spent a bit of time with this little heart thief…

Removed the baseboard flange from the new seat so the mount holes lined up.

And like that it was tested and hood to go.

Once again proving the newest sixth axiom of work…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2023, 04:47:58 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18954 on: November 23, 2023, 07:36:50 PM »
There it is, Proof positive!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18955 on: November 26, 2023, 07:40:45 PM »

Technically, yesterday morning. The middle daughter w/ the 6.5 Grendel AR build (needs a heavier buffer I believe btw) in tow along with her Welder BF and I climbed this mountain. Him and I scouted it the day prior mid day and found a ton of deer & elk sign near the top at the end of a fire rd.

It was (guessing) a fire area from maybe 10 ish years ago so relatively open for the area. However, a lot of dead fall to climb over and a very steep climb up about a mile I’d recon thru at times heavy 6’ tall brush. There is an old fire service road the wraps up to the top but the road is gated by the kings men and to park at the gate was a good mile or two west of this top.

So we arrived a little before daylight and dropped them off then head about 3/4 mile up the road and parked. The idea was they were going to get to the end of that road where we saw a lot of sign and set up ( me being the old guy thinking they should get there b4 me ). Plan was for me to come up back side, over the top and push anything up there down.

It worked in theory, I pushed what we believe was a large elk down past them about 60 yards in heavy brush. We both heard it but no one put eyes on it.

All in all a good morning, once I met up with them a couple hours into this hunt my daughter decided to head back to truck with me ( pretty sure she slid half way down mountain behind me, lol) while bf went down another way we had come up day prior.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18956 on: November 27, 2023, 02:54:53 PM »
Beautiful country, wish I had more trees.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18957 on: November 28, 2023, 06:28:52 PM »
Got home from Kentucky yesterday. Deer hunting was a bust. Didn't see one buck all Doe. Wife has Covid, 2 of the boys that went have the flu.

Mother-in-law had a fainting spell, so I spent most of the day in the hospital with her before they turned us loose. They found nothing wrong. She just happened to have another one while hooked to the monitor. The blood pressure monitor dropped to 56 over 36. They figure something with her heart may be causing it.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18958 on: November 29, 2023, 09:53:06 AM »
Been prepping for winter which is being slow to arrive this year. Froze then thawed now getting cold again. Had some -20 finally so Saturday went for an ice walk.
Walk netted 2.5 miles of exercise and showed 6” or better ice cover. That box is checked now.  Ice is a go.
Now need to get my stuff ready. Turns out I can fit my stuff in my garage this year.

Onto sled maintenance.
An actual oil change was completed. Not a RMTWS style just a legit oil change. The engine is the 900 Ace four stroke. No pictures of it as it’s pretty dull.

My seat cover tore a couple winters back and I ordered a replacement that I could not sort out how to change.
Fast forward to last spring, I was having idling issues which included surging and stalling. This relates to a fuel filter clogging in the fuel pump. In the tank. Under the seat. In front of the back seat and storage box…

So a rather large disassembly needed to occur. Which included seat removal. Well it turns out the seat cover holds the seat on. Not a latch or bolts like normal. Just the cover.

A lot of parts have to come off to move the tank. At least it was mostly empty. And more empty when I screwed up a bit.

Here’s the prize with the camp sectioning the jamb nut.

This is the filter that was inside the fuel pump assembly. I didn’t take a pic of the whole mess as I plain ole forgot.

All the parts back as one. Freshening charge on the battery.
Next up my yellow fibreglass sleigh needs some attention. 

To be continued…

Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18959 on: November 29, 2023, 12:03:15 PM »
Safe ice is what, 4 inch I hear?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #18960 on: November 29, 2023, 02:08:10 PM »
Depends on who you ask…

The reality is unless you know Ice, probably 6” would be the minimum I’d suggest.
There are safe ice charts available as well.

I will walk in an exploratory fashion at or just under 2”.
As long as it’s GOOD ice.
I will not put a snowmobile track on less than 6.

This one I’m on about a half inch, maybe just over. The hole beside my right foot was less than a half inch. Caveat here, there were four other adults present for this photo as I would generally never venture to this extreme. I’m also wearing a full floater suit with in wrist ice picks for self recovery.

A quick google fu netted many charts like this.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 02:14:01 PM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18961 on: November 29, 2023, 08:50:55 PM »
I was thinking about walking on safe.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18962 on: November 30, 2023, 02:07:35 PM »
Depends on who you ask…

The reality is unless you know Ice, probably 6” would be the minimum I’d suggest.
There are safe ice charts available as well.

I will walk in an exploratory fashion at or just under 2”.
As long as it’s GOOD ice.
I will not put a snowmobile track on less than 6.

This one I’m on about a half inch, maybe just over. The hole beside my right foot was less than a half inch. Caveat here, there were four other adults present for this photo as I would generally never venture to this extreme. I’m also wearing a full floater suit with in wrist ice picks for self recovery.

A quick google fu netted many charts like this.

Using that chart to extrapolate, these "Ice Roads" that semis use during the cold months must need a couple of feet of ice or more. Then I remember hearing about going too fast and creating a bow wave under the ice which could blow out the ice near the shore and sink the truck.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18963 on: November 30, 2023, 02:59:50 PM »
The ice roads are a whole nuther animal.

To throw a number out 80,000# tractor trailer requires minimum 36” good ice.
I recall when moving a D8 or maybe D9 they needed 48” Blue(good) ice and 48” pumped ice on top. Holes drilled and surface flooded repeatedly to build thickness.

A chart says a herc can land on 150cm or about 60”. 80000kgs/180000lbs.

Each road will have speed limits and spacing requirements to prevent blowouts as the ice bends under the weight. Too fast it will blowout when the wave reaches shore.
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18964 on: December 01, 2023, 05:01:49 PM »

Drove to Kalispell this morning early for daughter’s bf. I found this og warn front bumper and warn 8403 (precourser to 8274) winch. This is straight, complete and zero dents for his 69 Ford highboy. He negotiated the deal, I grabbed it and paid for it. These are very hard to come by and he’s been looking for awhile. I’ve been actively looking for him over last 3 months.

I picked up three of these pantry box cabinets on last trip to Spokane at HD. Our cabin lacks useable storage so these will go on one wall in her kitchen. We have a short storage cabinet these will replace. As such I’m having to glue the veneer on opposing ends prior to the wife unit staining them. Good wintertime shop work.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 05:07:52 PM by stlaser »

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18965 on: December 02, 2023, 09:16:54 AM »
Went to the governor house for the annual Gold Star family Christmas tree lighting and dinner. Was outstanding as always. The governor even invited Krysten to run the OKC marathon with him again. The number of Gold Star families that attend has been going down each year, not sure how much longer the state will keep doing it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18966 on: December 05, 2023, 09:22:02 PM »
Is anyone having issues with the donate tab? On my phone, when I click on donate, it just takes me back to the index for that sub forum

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18967 on: December 06, 2023, 12:54:20 PM »
Is anyone having issues with the donate tab? On my phone, when I click on donate, it just takes me back to the index for that sub forum

Oh No!!!!!!

I can share my Venmo/Paypal if you want to give to the Christmas gift this year.

In fact contact me PM or email and I'll share my paypal/venmo to donate. I just noticed the Donations tab is taking their fee from the amount given. Last donation was $103.16, but only $97 made it to the account...!!!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 12:59:24 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18968 on: December 06, 2023, 01:00:03 PM »
Went to the governor house for the annual Gold Star family Christmas tree lighting and dinner. Was outstanding as always. The governor even invited Krysten to run the OKC marathon with him again. The number of Gold Star families that attend has been going down each year, not sure how much longer the state will keep doing it.

Good looking family!
And I love that your son is honored in the Govenors estate! The spirit of our warriors lives on...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2023, 01:01:27 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18969 on: December 06, 2023, 02:30:04 PM »

Good looking family!
And I love that your son is honored in the Govenors estate! The spirit of our warriors lives on...
Thanks, Boss
This year brought a new world to the governor and his wife. Their oldest has joined the National Guard and is deployed to Africa. Whole another world when your child is at the tip of the spear.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18970 on: December 06, 2023, 05:56:53 PM »
With two sons in the Infantry, same as Bret, I definitely know what you're talking about!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18971 on: December 07, 2023, 10:30:11 PM »

:popcorn:

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18972 on: December 08, 2023, 09:40:55 AM »
Just remembered that being a good Christian requires a guy to refrain from cursing as much as possible.
****** Shawn ***, you no good***** of a ****** ************ !!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18973 on: December 08, 2023, 10:04:35 AM »
Haha! Merry Christmas Buddy!!!!

Like I said, I’m sure it’s nothing you haven’t already experienced……

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18974 on: December 08, 2023, 10:17:03 AM »
Last time I was on here Big D was selling the farm. Today I come back to a new sawmill purchase.
What's going on Don ??!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18975 on: December 08, 2023, 11:09:32 AM »
Just remembered that being a good Christian requires a guy to refrain from cursing as much as possible.

Man,

How do you hold back?

he-he-he...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18976 on: December 08, 2023, 11:10:30 AM »
Last time I was on here Big D was selling the farm. Today I come back to a new sawmill purchase.
What's going on Don ??!!
A form of dementia, I think... ;-)

And that's not all

Thinking about voting Democrat!

NOT!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 11:11:21 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18977 on: December 08, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
I think H holds him back, by sitting on him…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18978 on: December 09, 2023, 01:09:58 AM »
Scary if that is real.

Ken, do you have that "doll" in a glass case?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18979 on: December 09, 2023, 02:35:51 AM »

Well, we now know why Bill looks the way he does. LOL

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18980 on: December 09, 2023, 08:19:04 AM »
Scary if that is real.

Ken, do you have that "doll" in a glass case?

“Prized tool”

Pretty sure he keeps it in his best tool box for easy access  :tongue:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18981 on: December 09, 2023, 12:41:17 PM »
Hillary never looked that good….

Fighting the annual leaf battle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18982 on: December 09, 2023, 01:16:22 PM »
There 3-4 inches deep in my front yard. These are nasty little ones. 2-3 trips on the roof cleaning/clearing gutters (I have gutter screens).

Is the pool heated now? I couldn't dream of that here without going bankrupt.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18983 on: December 09, 2023, 03:38:58 PM »
We have lots of leaves too. Between the lawn mower, the leaf blower, and person who cleans the roof and gutter guards most of the leaves, needles, and fir cones are cleaned up. Next wind will supply many more fir needles to clog up the drainage again.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18984 on: December 10, 2023, 05:38:14 PM »
What's a leaf?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18985 on: December 10, 2023, 09:59:12 PM »
What's a leaf?

Kinda like a cactus needle, only broader

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18986 on: December 10, 2023, 10:07:04 PM »
What's a leaf?

Kinda like a cactus needle, only broader

They say to let them rot where they land. In my case it is the grass under them that rots or the gravel gets to be a real mess of rotting leaves

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18987 on: December 10, 2023, 10:10:49 PM »
I’m sure he understands that term boss.

I mean H’s *ss keeps expanding exponentially broader and he’s intimately familiar with it in that context.

:tongue:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18988 on: December 11, 2023, 07:34:01 AM »
Yeah I’m surrounded by 18000 acres of national forest so it’s a losing battle. Just keep them off the house, the drive, and around the pool. Otherwise mow/mulch them and let them lay.

JR I have a natural gas/propane heater that’s about 600,000
BTU but normally only used for the hot tub unless the kids are having friends over. Takes a full day(24 hours) to heat the pool. Only done that a couple of times

Got a new toy. Daughter wanted Belgium waffles for her birthday this week. Tested it this morning with a yeast waffle recipe. Came out good

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18989 on: December 11, 2023, 02:29:49 PM »
Charles, if you only heat the pool a few times a year you should build a wood fired boiler in line with the filter so the water flows through it. His heats the pool all season. They do winterize and put it to bed in the winter.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18990 on: December 13, 2023, 06:19:30 PM »
Operation refresh well under way. Not going to restore this just getting her back on the road. 1954 chevy 4100 with 35,000 miles. It's really in great shape for its age. Needs a clutch and all the engine gaskets.  The transmission also leaks so it will get new gaskets also. We have a local shop with an expert on these old chevy engines so I'm just taking it to him. I will do the transmission gaskets myself.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18991 on: December 13, 2023, 07:24:04 PM »
Operation refresh well under way. Not going to restore this just getting her back on the road. 1954 chevy 4100 with 35,000 miles. It's really in great shape for its age. Needs a clutch and all the engine gaskets.  The transmission also leaks so it will get new gaskets also. We have a local shop with an expert on these old chevy engines so I'm just taking it to him. I will do the transmission gaskets myself.

Sent from my SM-T727V using Tapatalk

Well, this is pretty neat

Would make a good mini-build thread...Just sayin'

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18992 on: December 13, 2023, 07:26:40 PM »
35k, farm truck I guess. 465 trans?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18993 on: December 14, 2023, 07:06:40 AM »
This was my grandpa's truck. One of the first trucks I ever drove. It has a 12 bed with a hoist. I'm leaving it stock.

This blue 47 is the one I want to build. I have a 87 Chevy 4x4 frame to put it on. Biggest thing holding me back is money.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18994 on: December 14, 2023, 08:36:33 PM »
Money always seems to be the culprit.

Started doing the floors in the house yesterday. Hoping to have the living room and hallway done by next weekend. Will leave the rooms for later.

There is a soft/low spot in the ply right where vacuum is. I had moved a vent there sometime ago. Now the vent is right in the middle of the room, so that needs to be addressed too. Plus the rabbit had free to run around (see all the stains) and the vent is about destroid now. I will move the hvac vent to the wall by the closet and replace the plywood.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18995 on: December 16, 2023, 10:32:24 PM »
Here we go again. 4runner is proving not prime for the boy, he wants a truck. Sure a Toy would be nice but pricey, but he like the older S-10/S-15 GM even better. So this followed us home today (10 hour day as the winch gave out).

Plus I know these trucks, just like an G-body (el camino-monte carlo). Parts are cheap and plentiful, even have some laying around.

4x4, V6 4.3ltr, body straight but a few dings. Has an oil leak by the pan and a throttle body leak, minor. Got for the same price as the 4R which is now on FB.

Had it back about 4ft to far on the trailer at first which showed its ugly head at the first stop. Couldn't load nose in because of terrain.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18996 on: December 16, 2023, 10:58:46 PM »
I had that truck in a reg cab short bed in high school, although it was the crappy 2.8L

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18997 on: December 16, 2023, 11:14:16 PM »
I had that truck in a reg cab short bed in high school, although it was the crappy 2.8L

I had the same when I first bought my house. Served me for years though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18998 on: December 16, 2023, 11:50:52 PM »
I was a 4th owner maybe and it had been well abused before, while and after I owned it…… :popcorn:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18999 on: December 17, 2023, 12:11:24 AM »
Mine was an old PGE (Pacific Gas and electric), motor was shot but easy to rebuild.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal