Hello Guest

Author Topic: Upgrading your welding cart for double duty  (Read 1105 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Upgrading your welding cart for double duty
« on: December 14, 2014, 03:12:28 AM »
Got my Miller 211 dual voltage mig and it works great! Had a small issue with a plug I covered in another thread, but was my fault  ::)

Anyway I got this but still had my cart from my Lincoln 175 mig. Thought sure it will fit and it did. However it sat low, the Mig rubbed on the bottle and there was NO room under it cept for little things. Heck I wanted my plasma down there. Why not carry it all together when you use it together,,,,,,,,,,,,

So I look at the cart and it is a simple 2 inch angle on the front and flange across the back. So why not just move the front 2 inch angle to the back and make new ones for the front?

Take a couple measurements and a piece of 2 inch angle x 36 should just do it. $5 at the local metal shop and $2 for more nuts/bolts.

So I take it apart, cut the angle to 18 inches on the band saw, mark a few holes with a silver sharpie (great for metal work guys) and drill a few 1/4 in holes. 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:14:10 AM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Upgrading your welding cart for double duty
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 03:22:18 AM »
Then I placed the top on and drilled the matching holes with a Step Drill Bit (another must have guys) since it will let you be a little off and center the holes up and does a nice job of chamfering the holes too. And if you are a size off, just press a little harder and you have the next size hole!!!!!!

Got a nice 2 inch rake vs the 4 in rake of before and it was 4 inches higher in the back. Doesn't sound like a lot but it worked great!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 03:37:47 AM »
So get her cleaned up and painted the angle with semi gloss paint. Used round head machine screws to match the current hardware with flanged nuts.

Tightened it all up and I think it looked good and felt solid. Plus I don't have to bend over just to pull it around.

Plus the Cutmaster fit nicely right on the bottom shelf with room to spare even with a piece of wood to keep it off the front lip and level.

There is now a nice 1 inch gap between the tank and the 211 which is mounted with a couple self tapping screws now.

Now to find some hangers for the hoses that are used all the time. Don't have room for all the adapters since both units are 120/240 and use diff adapters.

Thinks of something like tape hangers for the hoses vs hooks (don't want kinked hoses) then a small tray for the consumables in front.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 03:39:52 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:59:02 AM »
SCHAAAWEEEEET!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal