Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1991 Suburban Build for a flip. Former 6BT candidate.  (Read 36034 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: 1991 Suburban Build, maybe flip or 6BT?
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2014, 02:51:20 PM »
Yep, Im happy with this one and it is not 3 hours away!! Hopefully I can look at it today.

Its all mechanical, floor shift, crank windows even looks like locking hubs. I'm guessing it has a 400 tranny maybe even a BB.

I can even drive it home!!
So it's an Automatic, and someone installed a floor shifter....or you talkin' bout the 4wd has a floor shifter?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 02:52:02 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
Yes its an auto with a 350. Was going look at it today but raining, so Weds is the day now.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
Yes its an auto with a 350. Was going look at it today but raining, so Weds is the day now.

You really don't let a bit of rain stop you? Outside of August and September we would get nothing done if we did that. I thought you guys needed some rain down there, enjoy it while you can.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
come on now bob, we all know commiefornia likes to cry about things.  jr is a rare find out there and is just trying to work with the folks he has to deal with........:D
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »
Heck, doesn't bother me but the seller complained. Rain is when you can't see across the street. We've had an inch in a day, wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not

I'm sure as hell not gonna melt!

My only issue with the rain is keeping the pool from running over.

Have some great stories of the rain, one reason I love tall trucks.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2014, 06:16:28 PM »
Heck, doesn't bother me but the seller complained. Rain is when you can't see across the street. We've had an inch in a day, wow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,not

I'm sure as hell not gonna melt!

My only issue with the rain is keeping the pool from running over.

Have some great stories of the rain, one reason I love tall trucks.
You afraid of a little rain JR?  ;-))
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2014, 09:50:52 PM »
Yep, I am a wimp  ;)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 16, 2014, 10:39:19 PM »
Ok, going to get it Weds. morning. No back fees and it runs and stops. I will just clean it up some and drive as is until I flip the other. The biggest part will be the rear end and paint.

Not sure if the winch will be there or not, he may have sold it but as of today he said it is still there. Not a deal breaker for me but I know others are interested.

Nice thing is I have all the main parts for the swap, engine-tranny-tcase-axles. Just going to have to source a lift, brake booster and the lines for it. Only real custom parts will be the drive lines.

Thinking about a 6 inch lift using 4 in springs in the front and flipped rear shackles. All new springs of course as these are 20+ years old. Want to keep the springs flatter so mounts and shackles will need some fabing.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2014, 07:59:37 AM »
JR,
Check out Jungle Jim over at Ramcharger Central. He sells parts for the Dodge chassis, however look at his many references and you will see what to do.

I'd use 1 ton early Chevy springs up front with a leaf or two missing just like I did, and 2000 Silverado 2500 rear springs out back. With a shackle flip that's +4.5-5" all way around, and handling the weight of a Cummins.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2014, 06:47:54 PM »
So, did you get it?

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2014, 08:00:35 PM »
Just remember, no pics, it didn't happen...

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »
Ah it did and we have pictures,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,New thread split off from here is here;

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=623.msg7253#msg7253

So now that I have a new 23 year old toy (boy could I go with that) this thread will cover the flip of the 1500 Sub.

I got this to put the 6BT into;

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2014, 12:00:11 AM »
I paid a little less than that for it on CL.

The bumper will go onto the 1500 here along with a winch I've had on my shelf for years.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: 1991 Suburban Build for a flip. Former 6BT candidate.
« Reply #63 on: December 29, 2014, 08:33:46 PM »
Been neglecting this lady lately but the 2500 is why. As of now the 2500 is purring like a kitten with all 206k miles on it. Found it had a 4L80 tranny that seems to be newer so I really got a deal.

So I will finish off the 1500 and get her sold to recover some funds and help me with 2500 parts. With a little paint and only 85k on this I feel I can get well over 3k for it if not more.

It will get the winch bumper from the 2500 and a nice 6k winch I have had for some time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:32 PM »
Ok, got a little more done today. First came fixing the wiring under the dash. The guy who had this worked for a auto stereo store. This thing had EVERYTHING from an alarm to cross-overs and extra speakers everywhere!!

The bad part was it was bypassing the starter, the radio was gone and a couple speakers were missing. I had to drop part of the dash to get at some of it.

So the first thing was to hook up the starter circut. 3 wires had been cut under the column. Not bad to find and match them up. I left 1 wire long as I plan on some kind of ignition disconnect. The tilt wheel is loose too meaning off comes the upper assembly.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2014, 10:15:03 PM »
Just noticed there are hardly any inside pics. She is kinda a storage unit now since I don't have a maple tree, but these will give you an idea. She is clean and one reason I got it.

Here is a picture of the crossovers, alarm and cell phone that was mounted in there. All those wires you see on the floor are what I removed!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2014, 10:15:18 PM »
Man that interior looks pretty good from this angle!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2014, 10:18:11 PM »
Man that interior looks pretty good from this angle!

It is and I will post more shots as I clean it out this next week. I plan on driving it to Ontario, Ca for a trade show.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2014, 11:28:01 PM »
Now this part almost needs its own thread, but here goes;

"WHAT IS THAT ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD"?

So I am getting on the freeway and I see this red thing next to the local Sonic fence. Looks like an Optima battery so later I go by and walk around the fence. Yes it is and in pretty good shape! So I grab it and look it over and it has a cable burn all the way around one side like a cable shorted out and melted through the case. I figure what the heck and throw it in the truck and bring it home. Date reads mid 2012 and it has the top posts only with clear labeling, 800cca.

When I get it home, I see the coils have been exposed all the way from the top to the bottom. I see nothing oozing out so I brush it off and clean up the melted areas. I figure what the heck and mix up some JB Weld and fill the voids, taking my time and doing all 3 sides separately. They seem to fill very well and the edges are rough so the epoxy has something to bond to.

She looks good, so I put it on a slow charge and all seems good. It is showing 11.5 volts before the charge and it comes right up to over 12 right away. Later I charge it at 6 amps and she goes though a normal charge and tops at over 13volts. I let it sit around and a few days later it is still over 12 volts, so I figure I made out on his thing and got a good battery.

So for the week I run a few pumps, run some lights and do some general work and she is holding strong at over 12v the whole time.

So I figure, why not put it into the 1500!!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2014, 11:52:40 PM »
The battery in the 1500 was an old Less Schwab and was beginning not to stay charged more than a few days. Couldn't blame it before but now the alarm is gone so not holding a charge is no excuse!!

When I turned the key after the ignition repair, it did click, but that was it.

So I mount up the Optima with new clamps plus I was able to mount it so the Pos was away form the body unlike the other battery.

Add a little loom over the cables, tie them up keeping the cables from rubbing and viola!!

Just need to finish the new ignition wires (full tuneup w/fluids) that are a pain on these things and then turn it around for the new to it 9.5 posi!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2015, 11:08:20 PM »
Been trying to get it to fire right now. Got much of the under dash wiring fixed but not cleaned up.

She turns over, but no go. Got spark, noid test shows the injectors are getting power and power to the relay looks good. Doesn't fire at all and no fuel even with a little spray down the blades. Pretty sure it is the pump but not alot of time to play with it right now. One more test at the harness in back then the pump gets replaced.

Pulled the warn off the 2500 so I can send her out monday

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2015, 03:38:17 AM »
I need to flip this Sub and have been watching for similar trucks to base my sale on. This was just sold on ebay, higher miles and upgraded running gear, similar to mine.

I was hoping for 3k and think I will be OK. Here is a link but I know it wont last as long as the capture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-GMC-Suburban-sle-package-/111713832761?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=2YHMMZavKrK7YJIJoO6Hxew8O%252BY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2015, 11:02:56 AM »
Looks like that thing sold already

Nice find there

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2015, 12:07:19 PM »
Yep, I was watching to see the selling price. Mine has 50k fewer miles and will have 3/4 drive train.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »
So, $4300 ish is typical?

I'm asking because that is darned good IMHO

Rust free body is priceless in itself. Then a 14 bolt, maybe a D60 if you're lucky...Maybe a NP205...Maybe a pot of gold!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2015, 07:57:07 PM »
The one sold has a 10 bolt GM front, called a big knuckle for the 8 lugs. The 14ff with discs is big. The rest looks to be stock. Prob 9/16 studs.

Mine has the same 10 bolt front with 6 lugs. I am swapping in a 14corp semi floater with 14mm studs and will convert the front to the same 14mm. That and just 85k with no rust truck I should do good. 14mm is well shy of 9/16 but much better than the 7/16 stock!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2018, 04:36:30 PM »
Bringing this back to life a little as this is getting flipped now. Besides it is the right thread for it as some mods might say,,,,,,,,,,

It is up for sale on both pirate and CL, with a little attention. Running and sitting on all 4 would be a good option.

Pulled the blown 10 bolt rear out, prepping the 9.5. My cycle jack with a peice of wood works great!

Turns over fine with another battery. The found optima dropped a cell, but it was free! Has spark but no fuel, so first is to jusp the pump and check pressure.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2018, 12:26:59 AM »
Cleaning this is a bare, think I will have the D60 blasted for the Dmax.

Have a solid bite on the flip of this, just need to mount the 9.5 after a little more cleanup.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 03:36:45 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2018, 09:50:11 AM »
While you're in there, check the flywheel and cam gear for missing teeth or hairline cracks.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
Will look at it, thx.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2018, 08:48:12 PM »
Cleaned, painted and installed. Did way to much cleaning for a flip, but thats me.

Getting the drums turned and had to get longer lug nuts for the 14mm studs. Drive line matced up to boot.

Got another interested in it and the guy at O'Riely's turning the drum said I should ask more.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 08:49:38 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2018, 07:46:37 AM »
Cleaned, painted and installed. Did way to much cleaning for a flip, but thats me.

Getting the drums turned and had to get longer lug nuts for the 14mm studs. Drive line matced up to boot.

Got another interested in it and the guy at O'Riely's turning the drum said I should ask more.

You clean up nicely!  :likebutton:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2018, 10:21:43 PM »
That looks nice and shiny new!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2018, 04:11:07 PM »
Used the scaler for those hard to get to parts, worked great (as I said, I cleaned to much)

Old brake lines worked fine. Fuel pump is bad, tried to jump it but nothing. Getting this running should up the $$ some for sure! Going to cut a hole vs drop the tank, just seems easier. 

Paint the hood black, use bedliner under the side trim and TSC desert tan for the rest. Should look good!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2018, 03:42:18 AM »
Did I mention I hate doing drum brakes?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2018, 11:04:42 AM »
I have never had to do them.  Best of luck

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »
You turned that diff into a Mona Lisa with a needle scaler, but you don't like to do drum brakes? 
 :facepalm:  JR

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: October 14, 2018, 02:39:09 PM by JR »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2018, 02:41:26 PM »
Yep, even converted my first 9.5 to disc with my own brackets.

This will be on its own wheels tonight.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2018, 03:26:44 AM »
Have I said how much I hate drum brakes, well changing them at least. But they are done!!

Axle looks good under there, Sub sits nice and the wider axle lets the tires sit even with the sides, how it should have been made.

Cleaned out the master and gravity bled the new brakes. New cylinders little more paint and a few nuts and bolts.

Got the rear cleaned out and put some in Spartan and some in the Elky. I have way to many parts floating around!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:29:48 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2018, 03:34:37 AM »
After moving all kinds of stuff around. I finally got it opened up to do the fuel pump.

Drilled a hole in the center to check what looked like the right spot and will open it up to 8in square.

There are wires all over this darn thing! 1/8 drill came out almost dead center  :beercheers:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:35:59 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2018, 05:38:42 AM »
After all that work and you’re too lazy to drop the tank?

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2018, 07:07:52 AM »
In California to drop the gas tank he would probably have to have a one month EPA review and approval, local variance permits, and a tree hugger to monitor the entire process capturing any loose molecule of gas vapor!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »

Yes, and you know what carb/epa can do. Not that they don't have a place, just not on my shoulder.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2018, 03:00:57 AM »
So this thing cranks good, has spark but not firing. I am checking wires and jumping this and that. It starts with a squirt of either, promising!

Clean up under the dash, jump the fuel pump but nothing. Figured it was the pump but make sure it has juice first. Clean the ground follow the pump wire and right past the axle power is gone, hmm. Start feeling around and I find this;

Funny thing is it looks clean like it just came unplugged. Still have to change the pump but at least I have power to it now!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2018, 09:11:20 AM »
Simple find. 

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2018, 12:53:26 PM »
Didn't even know it was there, thought it was a continues wire.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2018, 01:06:05 PM »
You might regret not dropping the tank, if this thing ever had Ethanol in it that could be the problem its got the green slime everywhere thru the whole system!   

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2018, 01:12:33 PM »
Fuel I drained was pretty bad, just real dark. I am not even sure how long it has been sitting. I have had it for 4 years and the last reg tag is 2005.

Cutting the top open today and will see for sure. Got 10 gal fresh gas and a couple filters.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2018, 02:17:42 PM »
hopefully its out of the DMV system by now! 

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »

It’s kind of like getting out to lock the hubs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal