TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Propane Tank Forge

(1/12) > >>

KensAuto:
I built this a couple years ago,  found the pics,   and I'll try to remember the details.
First, started with a propane tank,  empty, with the valve out. I stuck a flame to the opening after it sat for a while,  and it still lit. Good thing it was a brown pants day...sorry no video of me screaming .
I tried to scrape the paint off after soaking it in paint remover, to no avail.
Welded on some brackets so it would sit flat.

Then carefully cut one end off, retaining the inside lip. This will become the door.

KensAuto:
Sometime in the middle I built a fire to remove the paint.  Better now than when trying to forge.

KensAuto:
..then a hinge for the door on one side that allows for the door to lift off.  I took an old farmer wrench, bent it, and welded a bolt in the socket end to make a latch on the other side.

KensAuto:
Next up was building the burners. I copied this design off the web...seems to be one of the most common ones.
Iirc I used 1" black pipe and 1-1/2" bell reducers for the nozzles and 2" for the mixing chambers/venturis.
First I milled out the threads ( I think this was a mistake.  Pretty sure the threads would allow better mixing, via turbulence, for the propane and air )

stlaser:
Did you use a mig welding tip?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version