Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3  (Read 69890 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2002 Suburban 2500 build thread, Part 3
« Reply #350 on: April 12, 2019, 08:27:03 PM »
So, I started with cutting off the "L" portion to a length I thought might work
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 12, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »
Then I discovered my next issue. The arm latch point would not allow the hatch to open!!! ERRRRRRR

But no worries, just another challenge and problem to solve

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 12, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »
So I resorted to using some of the shims Brian supplied, but Darned if they were too narrow to fit the large bolts I was using (Factory bolts and hardware). So I ended up using some large nuts to try and shim the bumper downward to start some kind of alignment

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 12, 2019, 08:35:00 PM »
Then the next problem surfaced. I could not close the spare tire carrier without first hitting the hatch.

So I had shimmed the bumper down, and bolted it up to the factory hitch as a reference and I couldn't open a hatch nor close the arm...hmmm???

Next I tried to angle it downward a tad bit keeping the "leading edge" in a "Normal" position, and allowing the backside to droop a bit. With that I got the arm to just close and I could open the hatch, but the clearance is a super skinny .020"!!!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 12, 2019, 08:37:15 PM »
Darned thing looks good for a bumper that won't fit!

Frustrating, but I am not done

I will also have to do something about all this room between the body and the bumper. I guess I'll create some sort of spacer or something as that is way too much room. It is not so much a bumper wing as a mud n' air scoop

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 12, 2019, 08:39:28 PM »
With some more adjusting I got it this far. Things are fitting, sort of, but from the side it looks like I grafted some F150 bumper onto my truck...Have to fix that!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 12, 2019, 08:40:37 PM »
Lotza room to close up...

Or should I just go with it as is and live with it???

What say the people?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 12, 2019, 08:45:12 PM »
The latch is some mini version of a real latch. I am thinking I will need to replace this with something more substantial. Holding a couple hundred pounds still is not in this little guy's skillset

And for some reason the arm sits about an inch proud of the foot beneath the mount. So much that the latch pin will not engage into its hole. So I'll either have to find a longer pin or, heck, I don't know what else to do.

I thought well, the tire weight will bring it down, but I had one of the Pre-Rangers hang on the tire rack and it just touched. He weighs 130...So maybe that and some water will in fact settle it down.

I do not view that as a mistake. Rather I see it as planning and thoughtfulness on Brian's part. He was trying to allow for droop after heavy things got installed, and I would have done the same thing...No worries!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 12, 2019, 08:46:59 PM »
I would just go with it as it is, talk to brian and see what the issue was/is and fix/finish when you return from trip.....time is getting short.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 12, 2019, 08:49:12 PM »
...But that teeny latch...Nope, that's a solid fail!

So working on, this is what I am faced with currently. The frame on both sides fits well inside where the bumper arms are located. So I have to bridge that distance, while maintaining the integrity of the bumper. I think I have an idea how to do that, but more welding and grinding will be needed

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: April 12, 2019, 08:49:22 PM »
I would just go with it as it is, talk to brian and see what the issue was/is and fix/finish when you return from trip.....time is getting short.

I agree.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 12, 2019, 08:52:01 PM »
Concur.

No time to redo now, I'll make the best of it that I can and it is what it is.

There may be another problem. Brian used the same vehicle file to build the front bumper too...

If that one is cooked, I'll have to punt and do something else, and the time is like now to make that call. I'll be finishing modifying the rear bumper tomorrow and check the fit of the front one immediately thereafter.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 12, 2019, 08:53:47 PM »
Other than the fitment issues, it looks pretty good thus far, and I am close to getting it hung enough to make it useful

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 12, 2019, 09:00:49 PM »
And, for the record, Brian did the best he could, and produced a great looking set of bumpers. I am not upset with him, although I'll bet he is more upset with himself than I with him.

I think he will learn from this and be better for it. We may do something to solve this or we may not. Heck if I can get it installed well enough to use and it doesn't look all goofy, then I'd be OK to run with it.

If the front bumper doesn't fit, then we have a larger issue. I can turn right around and purchase an ARB and simply bolt that on. But we aren't there yet and Brian hasn't read in either. We'll let him comment and like Bobby said, sort it out later.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 12, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
That bumper looks killer fitment or not!

The gap on the rear bumper and fenders is a little large I feel also.  But suggestion for a after trip fix.   Cut off the bottom of those rear fenders and wrap the bumper up the wheel wells.  Lots of toyota guys do it, I’ll be doing it do mine one day when the rust Finally finishes off my fenders.

I like that looks I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: April 12, 2019, 10:07:14 PM »
Can’t believe I’m admitting this but I agree with Dave. Take that lower valence off between rear wheel well and bumper. Fab a set of custom storage boxes in there while you’re at it and make use of the dead space. I like bumper as well it’s just too bad the mounts are that far off.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: April 12, 2019, 10:37:37 PM »
Man did I just read what I think I did?   Hells gonna freeze over now

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #367 on: April 12, 2019, 11:24:18 PM »
Bumpers are killer.

Norm, I agree that the rear should just have been shims for backlash and good. Same gears and pinion not pulled.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: April 13, 2019, 01:08:33 PM »
Couple of corrections

First the bumper "Shims" I posted are actually the light tabs for the front bumper lights...My bad

Next, have been speaking to Brian. He thinks the front Suburban and 2500 truck are the same, so we should be good with the front fitment. Will know shortly.

I'd say that if I can get the rear to mount up, and I should, then all that remains is sorting out the spare tire/bin carrier arm. Not sure how that ends, but that should remain the only problem.

On cutting off the lower quarter, I actually thought about it earlier. I did it with my Tundra years ago and built a wrap around bumper/slider affair. Not now, but may go that route after the trip as some have suggested, actually those two brothers, Dave and his older brother, Shawn. (He-he)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:11:29 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: April 13, 2019, 02:04:14 PM »
OUCH!!!!
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: April 13, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »
Couple of corrections

First the bumper "Shims" I posted are actually the light tabs for the front bumper lights...My bad

Next, have been speaking to Brian. He thinks the front Suburban and 2500 truck are the same, so we should be good with the front fitment. Will know shortly.

I'd say that if I can get the rear to mount up, and I should, then all that remains is sorting out the spare tire/bin carrier arm. Not sure how that ends, but that should remain the only problem.

On cutting off the lower quarter, I actually thought about it earlier. I did it with my Tundra years ago and built a wrap around bumper/slider affair. Not now, but may go that route after the trip as some have suggested, actually those two brothers, Dave and his older brother, Shawn. (He-he)

Shoot, you and Shawn could probably knock out that mod in a day, just crash at his shop for an overnight!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2019, 02:41:45 PM »
Couple of corrections

Shoot, you and Shawn could probably knock out that mod in a day, just crash at his shop for an overnight!

Turner, he referred to Dave as my blood relation. Realize my shop is in a secured gated facility, there is a reason for that...... :tongue:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: April 13, 2019, 04:56:03 PM »
OUCH!!!!
I like you.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: April 13, 2019, 07:11:06 PM »
Couple of corrections

Turner, he referred to Dave as my blood relation. Realize my shop is in a secured gated facility, there is a reason for that...... :tongue:

I was tracking that, just saying you and Don could chop and add in a day, I also knew your shop is high class and require a gate.... (not sure I can say that because my house is gated)

OldKooT

« Reply #374 on: April 13, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »
yah....well I have a gated ......,um well fence

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2019, 10:01:14 PM »
Couple of corrections

I bet I get in there! ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 13, 2019, 10:03:56 PM »
So, I didn't get anything done (on the truck) today. Spring time lawn cleanup. Took most of the day, then it was night. Other daughter had her new baby a couple days ago. Will be going over there after church so questionable if I can get to it tomorrow...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: April 15, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
So, I started the work out today with fitting the front bumper. It fit well and Brian was thoughtful enough to keep the bumper upper mount loose to allow me to make any necessary adjustments, then weld it in place. With everything fitting well, I tacked that part in place and let the thing hang on its own accord.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 15, 2019, 09:52:58 PM »
I finally took the hood out of the service position, returning it to the normal day to day position it will live in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 15, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
And checked the open/close fitment with all the new parts.

So far, so good!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 15, 2019, 09:58:15 PM »
So that is looking good, next up it to pull it back off and do some welding, then fit the winch and see if that will still fit. I didn't realize it, but that bumper keeps stuff pretty close at hand and tucked in. The winch, any winch is going to be pretty tight in there. I think I may have to move my newly installed transmission fluid cooler to make more room.

So, back to the rear bumper which was not fitting so well. I decided to simply weld a piece of angle steel to the butt end and use that method to take up the space for the incorrectly located arms.

I first added some of the things that are going to stay mounted or carried by that bumper to ensure everything still fits

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 15, 2019, 09:59:39 PM »
With that I drilled the holes, and tacked in the new mounts, then removed the bumper and final welded the new stuff

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 15, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
I then added a piece of square tubing to reinforce that weld and to it added a ground spot for the yet to come back up lighting

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 15, 2019, 10:02:56 PM »
With the area cleaned, I undercoated everything anywhere near that bumper.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 15, 2019, 10:04:28 PM »
And heavily sprayed the new steel and the damaged areas of the Line-X

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »
The bumper went right back on, and I bolted it up with no fuss. I did however get it a little bit off, and it contacts the hatch, so another adjustment is forthcoming.

This time I packed the bearings with grease, installed the seal, tightened the nut and carter-keyed the assembly in place

Here are some areas I placed foam tape onto

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2019, 10:08:29 PM »
And it opens and closes, and the hatch works and this thing is just about finished

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2019, 10:09:26 PM »
The truck grew a little bit in length

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2019, 10:10:29 PM »
Oh and the dust cap became the "busted" cap. Darned thing wouldn't fit and i ended up denting the heck out of it!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: April 15, 2019, 10:11:11 PM »
Back at it tomorrow...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2019, 10:13:00 PM »
And, don't be surprised if a hi-lift jack shows up bolted to that brush guard on the front bumper. I can't find another place to mount it, so It just may assume duties as a brush buster in addition to being a jack.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 15, 2019, 10:37:31 PM »
Seen the Jeep crowd mount them to the hood, other folks mount them to the side of the luggage rack,  that bumper looks awfully nice to mess up the lines with a clunky jack

Did ya notice all the extra storage room under that rear quarter panel ?
When is the new tow hitch due?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 15, 2019, 10:59:34 PM »
Seen the Jeep crowd mount them to the hood, other folks mount them to the side of the luggage rack,  that bumper looks awfully nice to mess up the lines with a clunky jack

Did ya notice all the extra storage room under that rear quarter panel ?
When is the new tow hitch due?

Its due in Thursday

Curt Class IV

Will be going right in there when it comes in!

OldKooT

« Reply #393 on: April 16, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
it's looking heavy Don.....the burb

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 16, 2019, 09:53:36 AM »
its looking good!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 16, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »

Hey Norm, he’s coming around slowly. On those bumpers he chose a lighter gauge material on the wings versus his normal depleted uranium armor alloy throughout similar to an Abraham’s tank...  :popcorn:

OldKooT

« Reply #396 on: April 16, 2019, 10:05:40 AM »
yes it does look good....my project is stalled due to a Mustang and a Ariens garden tractor /tiller in my shop atm lol

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:08 PM »
Mounted up the spare tire. arm swings effortlessly

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 16, 2019, 07:58:50 PM »
I'm satisfied with the fit, on to other things

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 16, 2019, 08:00:12 PM »
Not wasting any time, I am installing everything I can fit that makes sense. Two more parts off the shelf, the rear Clevis fixtures

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal