Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Adventure Hoe  (Read 26895 times)

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: The Adventure Hoe
« Reply #100 on: April 01, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
Good morning gentlemen! I was able to get the doors and liftgate lined last night. I went with the current Jeep color called commando. It is sort of a split between ww2 olive drab and the current desert sand colors. I figured now that I am back out in the grasslands, that green wouldn't serve me as well as a more tan color would. I can't remember if I mentioned that I had become a Speedliner dealer or not, but I am. Speedliner is a Kevlar reinforced spray on bedliner product that is beyond tough. My plan for the morning is to get the hood and fenders off of the Tahoe. I have a recruit coming out midday to meet with me about coming to work, so time will tell how much I can get done. Here are some photos:

The last one is for comparison to the original green on the truck. I have been researching a film that helps to make glass more impact resistant. Considering adding that to the windows while they are out and also looking into Kevlar sheets to install inside of the door shells to help slow any inbound materials (God forbid it ever comes to that)

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 01, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »
If I remember correctly. The LineX product carried some ballistic stopping capability.  You would have to YouTube and see what you find but your product could hold similar with enough layers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2017, 12:49:04 PM »
If I remember correctly. The LineX product carried some ballistic stopping capability.  You would have to YouTube and see what you find but your product could hold similar with enough layers

I know that the Speedliner product actually started out as wall coating for explosion proof rooms.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2017, 01:06:07 PM »
Thats interesting. Maybe SD needs a good coat.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2017, 03:06:45 PM »
Maybe we need to be spraying some plywood and see what we can do

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2017, 03:07:31 PM »

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 03, 2017, 07:48:49 AM »
Well after a non-productive Saturday, I was able to get a little work done Sunday afternoon. I noticed that there were a few rust bubbles showing on the bottom of the rockers this summer during an oil change. Decided that I needed to do something about it. They don't make a replacement rocker section for the Tahoe, unless you want to buy a replacement uniside section for $600. They do make just the rockers for crew cabs though for a measly $89. After a little measuring and trimming, the rockers were a good fit.
I had previously acid primed and then sealed the inner of the rockers. Welding will burn and destroy the corrosion protection and create a hotspot for rust to start again, so we used a high shear strength structural adhesive from 3m. This product is what we use when we rivet bond frame rails into vehicles. The mating surfaces have to be prepped with a 36 grit tooth in order for the adhesive to have something to grab on to. You apply a bead of adhesive to both bonding surfaces and then cover all the bare metal with adhesive by brushing it out with an acid brush. The parts are joined, clamped and screwed together where clamps won't reach. This is a slow cure adhesive and can't the vehicle can't be moved for 12 hours after bonding. There is a visual indicator of complete cure, the glue turns purple when it is cured. I will get a shot of that today. As you can see from the pictures, those small rust bubbles on the outside were nothing compared to what the insides look liked. The drivers side took about four hours to complete and I expect the passenger side to be about the same.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 03, 2017, 08:45:34 AM »
Nice, love how you show all of the body work "tech" for us non body shop guys.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 03, 2017, 11:21:44 AM »
Nice job. Looks very clean.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 03, 2017, 12:23:26 PM »
Have you seen the post on here about putting steel sliders in there? I'll look and past it here

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile

Offline HuskerTrev

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »
I consider putting in a piece of tubing as a rock slider. I already have a set of rock sliders to install on the frame plus they will help the wife and my youngest in getting in and out!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
I would like to see it done on a chev.  I think the protection would be awesome just not sure how it will look. 
Keep up the good work

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal