Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hydroponic  (Read 940 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Hydroponic
« on: March 28, 2020, 12:12:41 AM »
Anyone have experience with this? No it’s not for pot, wife wants to start growing herbs etc for our meals.

She keeps sending me this link but thinking I can put a setup together much larger for a 1/3rd the price.

Screenshot 2020-03-27 at 9.45.21 PM.jpeg

I’m thinking, light, tank and a pump plus a couple small odds and ends.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
Re: Hydroponic
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 07:37:03 AM »
Shawn I have quite a bit of experience with it from the 80s with reasons undisclosed. Your link isn’t working.

Leds are much better now than the old metal halide and high pressure sodium lights.

I like the flood and drain method with lava rock as the growing medium. What scale and is it indoors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 08:35:45 AM »
I’m definitely interested in learning more on this as well. My wife was just looking at some ideas the other day for doing some sprouting and indoor growing.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 09:14:46 AM »
I am interested in this as well. However I will probably never build one. I just don't have time or a place to keep it going all winter.

I find it fascinating. Some people are raising fish and plants all in the same system. If you have the money you can buy one in a shipping container all assembled. Just add water.  http://www.growtainers.com/
I know thats WAY bigger than you want but the possibilities are endless.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2020, 09:58:03 AM »

Charles, here is a picture of what she’s asking for. I personally think it’s a pos and overpriced. My thought was some form of water container. Thinking galvanized tub from tractor supply etc maybe water trough for animals. It’s going in our unfinished basement which is several thousand feet of space so not an issue and I already ran a conduit from outside panel to add electric circuits down there.

I know zilch, so anything you can add to school me is helpful. After the 8th time of saying no to the pos above I guess I need to start researching this. I had a coworker in the 90’s who grew pot like this so I know it’s a valid option.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 11:20:57 AM »
I like it as well.
Been spammed by a few wanting to sell all these doomsday plans.
This doesn’t show exact construction, but I think it’s all visible.

Lots of PVC parts but will simple enough to sort out.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 11:53:02 AM »
I would stay away from galvanized, that can eventually leech into your system thru the plants.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2020, 03:24:05 PM »
Pvc is cheap enough...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 03:50:02 PM »
I prefer a full/drain or ebb and flow method.  Much easier.  Essentially you have a pot with lava rocks in it for the roots to take hold.  You place the pots in a vessel/tray with a pump supplying the nutrients and an overflow back to the tank. Then several times a day you flood the tray for 20 minutes and then the pump shuts off and all the liquid nutrients drain back into the tank.  You have an aerator in the tank like an aquarium.  I always used organic nutrients, bat guano, sea weed, bone meal, etc.

When I was growing basil and selling it to the local grocery stores, we made flood tables out of plywood with 8 inch sides and pvc liners and set regular nursery pots in them and flooded them from a tank under the table and each table had an overflow tube back down to the tank. 

Start your seeds in rock wool and then transplant to the pot with lava rock

How many plants do you want to grow and how much room do you want to take up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
So after some research and figuring out this is going to be a several month long endeavor dipping our toes into this we decided we needed a book.

We also upon research were very interested in raising fish in conjunction w/ vegetables. So I ordered this book a day ago.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 12:25:01 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »
Years ago I built a pond/water feature and tried to have a few fish too. Well the herons and coons took care of the fish so now we just have the water feature but,  I can add bleach once in a while to help control the algae so I think the herons and coons did me a favor.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 03:56:11 PM »
Years ago I built a pond/water feature and tried to have a few fish too. Well the herons and coons took care of the fish so now we just have the water feature but,  I can add bleach once in a while to help control the algae so I think the herons and coons did me a favor.
I once had extensive inside/outside koi ponds. Had a pretty good balance of plant/fish life. THose blue heron with their long legs would come to snack on my fish. One of my koi was valued at $1200 and many more valued in excess of $500 ea.

After learning what those long beaked monsters were capable of, they only visited once.

Then I figured that if you aimed at that bulge in the middle of their long legs, well you could turn them into a one legged wonder bird that would fly off noisily and likely tell all his buddies what happened after each crash landing he experienced...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 03:57:26 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »
Yeah, had a friend who ran a smorgasbord for those herons......

Interestingly enough I was talking to a friend today and he was telling me how when he used to raise minnows for fishing (bait n tackle store) they were having issues with fish kill offs in tanks. They used some supposed fancy filter system until he came up with a 5 galling bucket filter system he built using lava rock and charcoal filter. Never had tank kill after that so will probably incorporate his design. The 5 gallon bucket with lava rock aeratored the fish tank, no separate aerator needed.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal