Hello Guest

Author Topic: Changed my diet entirely to be plant based only!  (Read 8868 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Changed my diet entirely to be plant based only!
« on: July 19, 2017, 12:13:01 AM »
Confession/Announcement:

Menses, after much thought and study, I switched to a plant based diet this past week.

Virtually every malady that afflicts modern Americans comes from our animal meat foods. There is alot to discuss, so maybe I'll set apart a section to talk about that, but I am convinced beyond a doubt that we humans are designed to eat plants, and that our US food culture based on meat, eggs and dairy is killing us.

I thing a big part of readiness is health and I had noticed a loss of performance and a couple more pounds here and there with advancing age.

I run a church security ministry where I train and train with some pretty good folks every week. I had noticed my performance wasn't what it should be when going 100% against a bag or another person over and over for an hour.

Last Saturday was the last time any animal product touched my lips, so its only been a few days. But today when working on the C-Max, installing that rear sway bar, I noticed my knees and back were not hurting! As in not at all!

I am 63, and in reasonably good condition, but my weight has been creeping uphill and touched 260 a time or two! I am 6'3" and of a large frame, so I carry it pretty well, but I can also feel it, especially when fight training with the thirty year olds.

I do things best all at once. Just dive in and get on with it. Got saved that way. One minute a hell raiser, the next, redeemed and actually in love with the Lord! Did special ops that way. Just decided to join and dove in. So I did this the same way. No weening off my beef jerky, nope I just set all that aside and turned into a hippie!

I can say, I feel great, and I am dropping weight.

I'll post up a new thread down in Personal Readiness. Lets see where this takes me...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Changed my diet entirely to be plant based only!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »
I'll add some vital statistics in a post or two, after dealing with the upcoming mess from all the DOTs.

History: I have eaten mostly animal protein for all of my life except for a two year period where I went vegetarian. I got that wrong, because I also ate massive amounts of cheese which was very bad for me. Probably stayed somewhat healthy due to youthfulness and a couple hours of exercise six times a week.

I went off meat and onto plant based foods entirely this past Sunday, 16 July. I had reduced it on Saturday, but I won't count that. I'll get on a scale and add a couple pounds to that number because I can see the weight coming off already.

More to come...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 12:40:36 AM »
You been reading The China Study? Pretty good read and a lot of factual stuff to back up your claims. Doesn't mean I'm giving up my love of meat any time soon but it's worth a read to those who may be skeptical. Good luck Don!
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:42:24 AM »
Punch line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 02:01:01 AM »
Wife and I went strictly keto about 2 months ago and have both lost 20 pounds just from burning ketones alone - no exercise. Now, we went on vacation to Hawaii and cheated a little...ok a LOT... and gained about 5 pounds back each, but we're getting back on track!

But this is Don' s thread... I don't need to DOT it up (Like that's ever NOT going to happen)!!
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
OK, some starting information

Saturday, 15 July, 2017  Weight: 256  BP 123/80
Felt, well fat! not a great deal of energy, like I was lugging around a boat anchor.
Recent heart study shows me to have a very healthy heart, no plaque to speak of, at least not mentioned in report. Left ventricle of normal size, occasional atrial fibrillation, non heart valve related.
Cholesterol is in upper 100's, generally 185
Presence of triglycerides, unfavorable numbers
Good cholesterol numbers unfavorable
Evidence of fatty liver, slightly elevated liver functions
Resting heart rate in the upper 60's
I would describe my health as fair/good

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:47:21 AM »

Body weight in the evening: 253.3
Noticed the pain in my knees which is present when working is not there.
Morning: Coffee
Lunch: Fruit smoothie with Almond milk
Snack: Pistachio nuts and slice of cake (Oops...eggs in there?)
Supper, Brussel sprouts seasoned and fried in olive oil (Delicious :-)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 11:18:31 AM »
Wife and I have always tend to try and eat a "clean" diet, but there have been times of excess in overly processed foods.

We did the vegan thing for about 6 months, and felt good,  then I went to Iraq...

Somewhere along the lines we chose to begin sourcing our meat either directly from the source or from a retailer who gets it directly from the source. Same with eggs and milk. The last 5 years I have not bought beef from the grocery store and can probably say longer than that for chicken. Pork is slowly getting this way.

Why do I bring this up? Because I know what is in the meat, eggs and milk, unlike the many unknowns in the stuff you get from the store.

Now one thing in eating a plant based diet, be careful of soy, it is in something like the high 80s of percent grown is GMO. Which is one reason we no longer consume soy or store bought corn.

Sugar as we all know is bad, VERY bad, affects the same part of the brain that cocaine does (wrote a paper on it in college). So in consuming fruit, which is like a healthy candy (is that possible?) do so in moderation, I recently went against this and actually became nauseous after a work out, so much so I went back to the dr, on the Monday after that weekend. She said I'm old, and watch what you eat.

You can make cake without eggs, and most things actually, had to learn because our son is allergic to them but getting better.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 12:49:43 PM »
Hope it works out for you. I can't stand the texture of veggies so I wouldn't last on this diet.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 01:20:00 PM »
This really helped me to understand:

http://www.whatthehealthfilm.com/

Over and over again throughout my life I have had those moments of understanding about something. One thing that is a constant is the fact that almost 100% of what our government says is false.

I am able to debunk every healthy eating recommendation found on any US government sponsored website. And on top of that, the companies responsible for creating the particular mess are the ones donating all the money, publishing all the reports, and propping up a profit model for corporations with lies

Here's the truth as I see it

American healthcare treats symptoms and not causes
We intake a fat person three times overweight and a cardiologist treats the impending heart failure. Inter medicine treats the high blood pressure or high cholesterol. Another doctor treats the arthritis, and another the liver problem. The patient is given more meds for anxiety, breathing problems, and a cpac machine for their sleep problems. We schedule the patient for hip replacements and build a wheel chair accessible ramp.

No one says, look, you're fat. Eat right and in six months you'll be fine

And why not?

Because big pharma is a business that makes it money when we are ill. Lately, however they are flooding agriculture with drugs of all sorts for animals. Again, to fix this problem or that, but not cure the problem which is crowding, GMO food, lack of cleanliness, or even proper inspections.

We are staring down the barrel of a post antibiotic era. As the film point out, its going to get barbaric. Get an infection in your leg, and the only recourse will be to amputate! Our meat is fed so much of these antibiotics that in billions of animals, resistant bacteria are being cultured, and all for profit.

I remember when I got proactive with my own A-Fib. It seemed vitamin D3 had a positive effect on the electrical rhythm process in the nodes of our hearts. THe daily recommended dosage was something like 800 IU. I read of this cardiologist whose husband had A-fib. She was feeding him 10,000 IU daily and getting control of the arrhythmia.

I went on 10,000 IU a day for three years and slowed my instances to almost nothing. Now I am taking 5,000 IU daily which is five times which a friend who is a MD recommends. And it continues to work most of the time. I believe I have discovered the balance of this equation which will heal me completely...Get meat out of my diet...We will see.

Check out the film. Some hippie stuff in there but loaded with useful factual information and exposes the lie that is the American GMO/big-Pharma system to sicken us for profit!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 02:22:59 PM »
 :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »
We've cut back our meat so much it bothers me some times.

Now, I kill 95-98% of the meat we eat, be it deer (which may be on a slight GMO diet depending where I hunt them), moose from the pristine wilderness up here, caribou from the same, and fish from the lakes.
The other 5% or so is chicken, farm raised for the most part, but some chemical laden as well.
Pork is almost none existent, allergies or intolerance, so it's trim for sausage, and bacon.

I'm trying to source some clean pigs to get clean meat, but it's hard for me being so isolated, and not many clean operations around.

Our food is certainly killing us.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 05:12:27 PM »
Body Weight this morning: 252

Feel pretty good

Having meat withdrawals...Seeing it everywhere.

Unexpected good news. THe grocery bill is way less, and this stuff goes the distance.

Noted that I get hungry several times a day now, like I am not eating enough. I suspect it is my body craving to be fed some trash. I am counting on the fact that I will transition over to eat normally, just mulch and lawn clippings!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 05:37:49 PM »

Bingo.

Many would argue this is the reason for the opioid crisis as well (making pain a vital sign)

2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 09:41:19 PM »
Make sure you get enough protein. Many vegans/vegetarians don't get enough protein which leads to other issues/problems.

Im not going to try to dissuade you. You have to do what you have to do and i hope you find a path that gets you the results you want.

As for what we were intended to eat I think the canine teeth we have and the fact that our eyes face forward suggests meat is a primary part of our diet. Not saying anti-biotic laden stuff but meat is a part of what we have always eaten imho.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2017, 10:57:23 PM »
I personally try to keep the red meat intake to a minimum. We eat quite a bit of chicken, pork & some fish.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2017, 11:42:50 PM »

As for what we were intended to eat I think the canine teeth we have and the fact that our eyes face forward suggests meat is a primary part of our diet. Not saying anti-biotic laden stuff but meat is a part of what we have always eaten imho.

This^^^^ you bunch of hippies!

In all seriousness, my wife eats very healthy (compared to myself) but insists on the family eating meat as part of a regular diet. She is well, lets just say, a shrink and says meat (not just protein) is essential for a healthy brain. I think it might have a reverse affect on myself tho, to be completely honest....and to be even more honest, she is a she, so there's that. (I hope she doesn't read this)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 08:01:55 AM »
Meat isn't unhealthy or the problem in my opinion.  All the processed food is what the problem is.  As somebody else mentioned all I need to do is look in my mouth to see the sharp teeth up front and canines followed by the molars to know I was designed to eat both meats and veggies.  Albeit I am sure my diet is much more laden with red meat, and meat in general than it should be. 

Like somebody else said make sure you eat enough protein.  The reason you are hungry is because proteins are much more complex than other foods.  It takes longer for your body to break them down.  Your body craves what it needs.  Deer and other animals lick rocks and dirt because they need minerals.  Some of your craving for meat may be a mental thing, you want what you can't have.  I am willing to bet some of it is also your body telling you you are low on protein.

You stated you were low on energy.  Your body is like an engine.  You need to fuel it up before you start working for the day.  I know it is a common thing to do but there isn't much nutritional value in a cup of coffee and it does nothing to give you sustained energy throughout the day.  Think of it as giving a cold engine a shot of ether.  Sure it gets it fired up right away but it isn't going to run for very long with out some good fuel in the tank.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 09:33:07 AM »
20 July

Weight: 251.5

Comment: Seems to be a slow but steady weight loss. Note that I am not trying to lose weight. I ate a couple slices of cake yesterday actually, but now am thinking they may have had egg in them...

Yesterdays food consisted of coffee, fruit of all types, almond milk, a piece of fresh bread and some olive oil based non dairy butter, a big baked potato with soy based sour cream.

Oh and loads of water

Energy was pretty good except after the bread, which was a mid afternoon snack. Following that I nearly fell asleep, so I guess I converted all that to sugar, then fell off the cliff when it ran out.

This morning, looking in the mirror, I noticed I got a little better lookin'!  Wasn't expectin' that!

(^^^Most of that is true, you decide what doesn't fit)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:41 AM »

Bingo.

Many would argue this is the reason for the opioid crisis as well (making pain a vital sign)

Absolutely true!

I was working the streets of Cincy for awhile, feeding and clothing the homeless. I met so many heroin addicted people, I can scarcely recall a third of them. So many had the same story. They were on pain meds for one thing or another, then the prescriptions ran out.

Doctors were treating symptoms and not the cause. No real cure, guess what?? Yep, pain persists. Many of these people resorted to street meds which always ends up landing on the big H.

I am convinced that the American health care system does not keep us healthy. It keeps us alive and feeding big pharma, and sick.

I started to notice this big time when contracting in Iraq and Afghanistan. I met lots of people from other nations. Good folks. The more I learned of them, the more I could see their healthcare systems were far superior to anything the US could boast. Eyecare? Go to Columbia...Best in the world. Surgery? Dubai was great, but Thialand turns your elective surgery into a five star in and out vacation.

And the people from other nations for the most part ARE NOT FAT! I'll always remember my startled reaction one year after returning to the US from a long time overseas. I got off the plane and entered the airport at Atlanta. I saw this group of really fat people and I just stared for an uncomfortable moment. Then I realized I hadn't seen anything like that for months. My normal had become looking at more or less fit people as opposed to these wobble people.

We have the greatest nation on earth here. One simply needs to know what of it to use, and what of it to avoid.
Make sure you get enough protein. Many vegans/vegetarians don't get enough protein which leads to other issues/problems.

Im not going to try to dissuade you. You have to do what you have to do and i hope you find a path that gets you the results you want.

Couple of thoughts:

Protein: Plants make all protein. It was created in plants, then consumed and concentrated in animals. You can get all the protien you need from plants. But we often forget fiber. We get all the fiber we need (As important as protein) from plants, but none from meat.

Eyeballs: I believe God created man. He may have created us from monkeys, wombats or flipper, don't know, but I believe our design is his creation. About the forward facing eyes. Works with depth perception which makes us good warriors and makers of tools, which gives rise along with an opposing thumb/forefinger to civilization.

Teetheses: You see, in Kintucky, we often refer to "tooth" because, well, you get the picture... We do have canines. However they are rounded and not so pronounced. Get off the vampire movies will ya! Our canines functionally act as a pseudo incisor more than snaggin' a cow in a field. Meat eaters jaws only move up and down. Plant eaters jaws' move orbitally (like ours) to grind and smash up fescue into a mash that the stomach can digest.

Speakin' of stomachs: Meat eaters have very strong acids in their stomach, plant eaters do not. Humans do not have strong acids in their stomach.

Exhaust system and tail pipe: Carnivores have exhaust systems about a third as long as clover eaters. The human has a lot of highly restrictive piping, like a cow, giraffe, or an elephant.

Git wit it people! set the street pharmaceuticals down and step away. THe truth is starin' you in the Mark 1 eyeballs!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:30 AM »

In all seriousness, my wife eats very healthy (compared to myself) but insists on the family eating meat as part of a regular diet. She is well, lets just say, a shrink and says meat (not just protein) is essential for a healthy brain. I think it might have a reverse affect on myself tho, to be completely honest....and to be even more honest, she is a she, so there's that. (I hope she doesn't read this)
Black Mail material right there^^^^

Shawn, you got this?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2017, 10:44:24 AM »
Watching intently here. Not giving up meat but I do need to cut down on processed stuff(easy).

I already eat little red meat, mostly chicken and fish but can't turn down a good burger.

Eggs will stay too, great protein.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
Watching intently here. Not giving up meat but I do need to cut down on processed stuff(easy).

I already eat little red meat, mostly chicken and fish but can't turn down a good burger.

I'm with ya here JR.
Processed stuff is all but bacon for me.
I make my own sausage,mans am in control of what goes in it.
Bacon is on my list to start makin'
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:32 AM »
I'm with ya here JR.

"someone" on here has a pretty good recipe for home made bacon  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:15:57 PM by nmeyer414 »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2017, 11:20:20 AM »
I need to go shoot a couple nice pigs for sausage. Had some really good stuff made by the local guys.

Easy above was meaning to easy to get, self control comes in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2017, 11:26:52 AM »

I'm with ya here JR.

"someone" on here has a pretty good recipe for home made bacon  :rolleyes:

Yes, yes indeed.
My problem, and it is laziness mainly, is getting the pork bellies to make it from...
And then creating the time to do it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:27:46 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2017, 11:50:12 AM »
Meat isn't unhealthy or the problem in my opinion.  All the processed food is what the problem is.  As somebody else mentioned all I need to do is look in my mouth to see the sharp teeth up front and canines followed by the molars to know I was designed to eat both meats and veggies.  Albeit I am sure my diet is much more laden with red meat, and meat in general than it should be. 

Like somebody else said make sure you eat enough protein.  The reason you are hungry is because proteins are much more complex than other foods.  It takes longer for your body to break them down.  Your body craves what it needs.  Deer and other animals lick rocks and dirt because they need minerals.  Some of your craving for meat may be a mental thing, you want what you can't have.  I am willing to bet some of it is also your body telling you you are low on protein.

You stated you were low on energy.  Your body is like an engine.  You need to fuel it up before you start working for the day.  I know it is a common thing to do but there isn't much nutritional value in a cup of coffee and it does nothing to give you sustained energy throughout the day.  Think of it as giving a cold engine a shot of ether.  Sure it gets it fired up right away but it isn't going to run for very long with out some good fuel in the tank.

I agree that I believe the processed foods are worse than meat. My joints ache (knees mostly) if I have too much bread i.e.: processed flour.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2017, 11:56:34 AM »

Black Mail material right there^^^^

Shawn, you got this?

I'm on it!  :likebutton:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2017, 11:57:50 AM »

I only do egg whites, yeah Ken call me a hippy already. Actually it's more cholesterol driven, try to keep my numbers good.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2017, 12:24:40 PM »

Couple of thoughts:

Protein: Plants make all protein. It was created in plants, then consumed and concentrated in animals. You can get all the protien you need from plants. But we often forget fiber. We get all the fiber we need (As important as protein) from plants, but none from meat.

Eyeballs: I believe God created man. He may have created us from monkeys, wombats or flipper, don't know, but I believe our design is his creation. About the forward facing eyes. Works with depth perception which makes us good warriors and makers of tools, which gives rise along with an opposing thumb/forefinger to civilization.

Teetheses: You see, in Kintucky, we often refer to "tooth" because, well, you get the picture... We do have canines. However they are rounded and not so pronounced. Get off the vampire movies will ya! Our canines functionally act as a pseudo incisor more than snaggin' a cow in a field. Meat eaters jaws only move up and down. Plant eaters jaws' move orbitally (like ours) to grind and smash up fescue into a mash that the stomach can digest.

Speakin' of stomachs: Meat eaters have very strong acids in their stomach, plant eaters do not. Humans do not have strong acids in their stomach.

Exhaust system and tail pipe: Carnivores have exhaust systems about a third as long as clover eaters. The human has a lot of highly restrictive piping, like a cow, giraffe, or an elephant.

Git wit it people! set the street pharmaceuticals down and step away. THe truth is starin' you in the Mark 1 eyeballs!

Couple more thoughts & for the record I don't care what you do but in my humble opinion MODERATION is the key. We are in fact Americans and we like everything in excess.

Cattle, they dine on vegetation & have 2 stomachs. Last I checked I have 1, granted feels like I have 2 to feed at times.

If you ever get out of your subdivision into the wild (not the mulch bed at the local mall mind you) you know that carnivores have highly acidic stomachs because they literally eat the a** out of anything.

So not to rain on your rant but I think you're reaching a bit.....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2017, 12:59:01 PM »
Moderation is the key to almost anything.

Americans are fat because of our lifestyle and welfare.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2017, 06:14:15 PM »
Stlaser and Don and others who find bread to cause a slow down, have you every tried grinding your own wheat?

I have no idea if it would be any different but that's another thing we've done from time to time is grind your own flour then make bread. I'd be curious to see if you notice a difference.

That being said, we typically only have homemade bread from our bread machine, of course it's still highly processed flour, but we enjoy it more than store bought.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2017, 06:22:45 PM »
Try some Ezekiel bread. Also try flavoring your veggies with a small amount of meat. Helps satisfy the craving and gets you to eat more veggies.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Changed my diet entirely to be plant based only!
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 06:23:55 PM »
Oh. And I do plan on posting pictures of pork butt,brisket, ribs, burgers etc.....I give him 4 months

Sean the hippie? I suspect you add feta cheese to your omlet?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 06:24:49 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 06:43:48 PM »
Big D (or soon to be skinnie D) could grind his own flour by rigging up the rear axle of Square D to a mill stone.................oh wait
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2017, 07:16:56 PM »

Oh. And I do plan on posting pictures of pork butt,brisket, ribs, burgers etc.....I give him 4 months

Yup, only have so many photos of grass soup.....4 months is a long time between meals...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2017, 07:39:43 PM »
If/when Don starts talking about "tofu-urkey" or vegetarian bacon, you know a regression has started!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »
Cows and the like (ruminants) have sections within their stomachs but the biggest difference in my mind is that they don't digest their own food- they have bacteria in their stomachs that break down the grasses etc. into something else which they can then get energy from. That's why cows introduced to sagebrush or other pastures with plants they are not "used to" can have full stomachs and starve to death (the oils in sage will kill off the bacteria in a cows stomach unless they are very slowly introduced to it). We don't have that. We do not digest plants the same way that cows, deer, elk etc. do.

No we are not pure carnivores, we are omnivores so our teeth allow us to eat different food types, but that includes meat which can only be torn by sharp pointed teeth (well until silverware came along).

I do think the eyes are a dead giveaway though. Before we were warriors we were hunters. And only hunters and meat eaters have eyes like that. All the pure plant eaters (aka PREY) have their eyes on the sides of their heads which allow a significantly greater field of vision to see predators and run away. But all the predators need the greater accuracy that forward facing eyes provide. Yes it certainly helps in battle as well. But the primary use was to get food in my mind. If we were only eating plants we would not need that accuracy and eyes on the sides of our heads would be fine (and helpful).

But hey, at the end of the day every one has to do what they feel fits them best. And if that's all plants then good for you. I'm not going to say anyone shouldn't. The only "bad" thing I have seen is people who don't do enough research and get the right amount of proteins and amino acids that they need, which is generally provided in the meats we consume.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
Minus the DOT side-trackin' that is always going on here, we have a pretty good discussion going.

So, now the end of day 5 on plant only foods. The knee thing happened again today. I was almost doing full squats getting around and under things while working in the wood shop. I haven't been able to do that for many years. The knee pain has been dramatic at times, totally immobilizing me, but today, I am at almost full range of travel and no, repeat, no pain. Now I can't definitively say it is a result of the foods, but something changed.

I'm just going to report on what actually happens, how I am adapting to a meat driven American diet, and any other pertinent facts.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »
just remember don.............that's a bad mamma jamma Hershey bar if your still twitchin when you think about that day......lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2017, 08:58:37 PM »
Stlaser and Don and others who find bread to cause a slow down, have you every tried grinding your own wheat?

I have no idea if it would be any different but that's another thing we've done from time to time is grind your own flour then make bread. I'd be curious to see if you notice a difference.

That being said, we typically only have homemade bread from our bread machine, of course it's still highly processed flour, but we enjoy it more than store bought.

Rye bread is the best I've found that seems to have minimal impact on my joints.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2017, 09:01:06 PM »

Smart butt, I do in fact add feta cheese crumbs & some salsa to my egg whites. Then throw it on some tortillas & it makes a great breakfast!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2017, 09:02:44 PM »
Don, if you are wanting to find some good plant based recipes, check out www.ohsheglows.com  Don't worry, I'm not pulling your leg, we use a lot of recipes from that site. Just tonight my daughter made a chickpea salad that is on there, it is excellent. We've been doing mostly plant based for a while with some exceptions. I can dig out some of the other sites we use for recipes and meal ideas if you are interested.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:19:46 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2017, 09:13:50 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I'd say sure, post it up

But having said that, I think we are talking about a new thread or area..."Call it "Healthy eating" or something like that and share stories, ideas, plans, results and whatever else applies...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2017, 09:22:59 PM »
Thanks for the tip!

I'd say sure, post it up

But having said that, I think we are talking about a new thread or area..."Call it "Healthy eating" or something like that and share stories, ideas, plans, results and whatever else applies...

Oh boy,  what's next a pajama section or an "I feel pretty area?"

For the record I nominate Ken to moderate them!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2017, 09:56:19 PM »

Smart butt, I do in fact add feta cheese crumbs & some salsa to my egg whites. Then throw it on some tortillas & it makes a great breakfast!

Bingo! Got your number, bro! 

Try goat cheese too.....(not saying I've done egg whites or any fancy cheese....jus sayin)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2017, 10:27:41 AM »
7/21/2017:

Body weight this morning 251.3

Steady albeit slow weight loss.

Yesterday I noted very little knee pain and I was actually squatting to get beneath a low overhang while working on some things.

Endurance was better. Was hot and sweaty for hours. A week ago that would have caused a pause in the work for a short break to drink some water and cool down. Yesterday, I just stayed at it, and actually got a little more done than usual. I'd say it was a better than average work time.

I cheated last night and had a small piece of my son's birthday icecream cake.
Had coffee and almond/soy based creamer in the morning
A smoothie of raspberries, strawberries, a banana and some seasoning and almond milk for lunch
Piece of onion bread, some olive oil based butter, bowl of yaki-soba, and a big salad with croutons and ranch dressing. I don't think the ranch was vegan based, but It was all I had, will work on that, Had some cold grapes for desert, and lots of water all day long

Note: I take a very high quality multi vitamin, actually three tabs, a big  fish oil tab (morning and night), 5000IU of D3, and a probiotic daily

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2017, 10:45:16 AM »
Hey Don I think what you're doing is great (as much as I reserve the right to give you crap on occasion.  :smiley:) you might want to meet with your Doc and have full bloodwork done to have a baseline taken so you can double check any vitamin, amino acid etc. deficiencies and make sure you address those either in the items you eat or with any supplements.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2017, 12:32:12 PM »
I have been dabbling in this. We try to do a meatless Monday, just to vary things up. After losing 65lbs on the HCG diet my wife has been ever vigilant of our eating habits. A great, low-no carb option is Shirataki noodles, or miracle noodles. When prepared correctly they are very very close to rice noodles and will soak up any sauce you throw at them. This is vegetable yakisoba with the Shirataki noodles. I made the sauce with Braggs amino acids, rice wine vinegar and sesame oil.

Stick with it Don, but follow Wilbur's advice on your baseline and continued monitoring.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2017, 07:57:44 PM »
Hey Don I think what you're doing is great (as much as I reserve the right to give you crap on occasion.  :smiley:) you might want to meet with your Doc and have full bloodwork done to have a baseline taken so you can double check any vitamin, amino acid etc. deficiencies and make sure you address those either in the items you eat or with any supplements.
I have my blood work done anually or semi annually. The latter is the case at the moment and I have a string of lab results showing pretty much center of mass for most things.
But
I need to use a statin to control the bad cholesterol, and I have never been able to get the good cholesterol into the favorable range.
My goal is to see if I can ween myself off all drugs whilst taking care of arthritis, the A-Fib, lose a bunch of weight, maintain blood pressure which is always 120/80 and get about 100% more productive.

Had a pretty good day of work, same diet as past 5 days. Weighed myself before dinner and I was at 250.2
I attribute that to water loss as i was sweating a bunch today, but the deep knee bends continue not to bother me and my stamina has improved in my opinion.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal