Hello Guest

Author Topic: Equipment Trailer Build  (Read 15921 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Trailer Build
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2017, 08:30:12 AM »
I shall not help you destroy someone else's awesome thread... I won't stoop to your level... Nope... Not going to do it.
Maybe as a global moderator, I should put you on notice...A verbal warning?
..Ban referral?.
..Or, Should I tell everyone where I picked HRC up from the other night, when someone's Jeep left her stranded? In the old days, we used the "I ran out of gas" line, not " oh the wire fell off of the starter". Smh
Sorry Bear... Please forgive!

Sent from a spaceship

What's that saying again? When the jeeps a rocking don't come knocking? However, it is a jeep at the end of the day & we were talking about your GF.

With that stated we know the jeep suspension would not hold up to such abuse. Hence I wouldn't have needed to say a wire was off the starter as it would have had 4 flats, a few broken springs, bent shocks & I'm sure H would have been screaming at everyone how this was all someone else's fault.  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2017, 02:00:50 PM »
"What, at this point, does it all really matter?"
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 14, 2017, 02:03:57 PM »
"What, at this point, does it all really matter?"

OK, Hillary  :beercheers:
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2017, 11:01:42 AM »
^^^  :likebutton:
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 09:10:33 AM »
So getting back on track here.

I didn't get much done over the weekend but got back out there last night.

I decided to add to the overall length of the trailer instead of doing the dovetail as originally planned. Since I had already been working on the rear I started out be extending the rails a bit.  Then I cut the holes in the rear bumper for lights and welded it on.  Mounted the lights in it for a test fit to make sure everything would work out nicely.

Next up was extending the front of the trailer.  With that done the frame of the trailer is completed.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:20:35 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 09:13:44 AM »
Today I plan to start working on building the ramps and ramp storage.  Then working on the fender area a bit.  I will be adding in some steps there to bolt the actual fenders to.  Adding the stake pockets and rub rail is also on the list for today.  Then a few other tedious tasks to finish up.  Last thing will be adding the tongue.  The tongue will be last because after I put that on it will no longer fit in the garage.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:24 PM »
Looks good so far

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2017, 11:53:10 PM »
Looks better with the extra length.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
I didn't get as much done yesterday as I was hoping for. 

Started out building the ramps.  These things are heavier then I expected.  I am wondering if I should have built them lighter.  2"x1/4" angle all the way around and 15" wide.

The approach angle doesn't seem to high though.  I shouldn't have an issue loading the majority of what I plan to haul with these.

Then I built the ramp storage into the rear of the trailer.  No pics of that.  I built them to both slide in from the right side of the trailer.

Then I spent some time welding on a few of the stake pockets onto the rails.  I plan to put (3) in front of the axle on each side, (2) behind the axle on each side and (1) on each front corner.

Then I started trying to figure out the fenders and the steps by the fenders. After a little figuring and some measurements I stepped inside and designed everything in CAD.  I had a couple bumper orders come in over the weekend so I figured it would be easier to design these parts up and send to get cut on the laser vs. me cutting everything by hand.  Hoping my laser guys come through for me and I am able to pick it all up in Friday.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:21:01 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »
Naw, heavy is normal.

The ramps on my 18' trailer are built in the same manner and heavy enough for me leave them alone and to order the boys to hook them up!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »
I after building them I thought it probably would have been possible to use 3/16" for the cross-rails.  That would drop about 10 lbs from each ramp.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »
Only thing I might add & maybe you have plans for it is if you don't have a kicker under each ramp then I would put a flip down trailer jack at both rear corners for loading heavy stuff. Being that you are using a ball coupler would hate to see the trailer take out your tailgate if it comes loose. That right there is reason I go with gooseneck or pintle on all my larger trailers. Basically because I'm lazy & I hate ramps.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:51 PM »
I've thought of doing something like that.  It will probably be an add on later.  For immediate use I will just grab a few 6x6 blocks to stick under the rear end when loading.  I thought about going pintle but I didn't think the usage of this trailer required it.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2017, 10:31:42 AM »
Didn't get much done last week but was able to make some progress Friday PM and Saturday.  Had a lot going on so wasn't able to get as much done as I was hoping.

The parts I sent out to get cut got done Friday and I picked them up. Started out by assembling the fender corner steps.  The fenders will mount to these and there will be clearance lights in them.  Welded all (4) of them up and then welded to the trailer frame.

Then a started putting the fenders together.  For stuff like this that I have laser cut I have notches and tabs added to aid in assembly.  Here the first one is with the front and back held together with the bracing.  The front and back had notches cut in them where the bracing tabs was inserted.

Then started putting the top plates on it.

After the first one was put together I did a test fit on the trailer and checked for clearances.  These will be bolt on fenders so that I can take them off to load a wider vehicle.

And both of them welded out.  I still need to do a little grinding work on them to clean them up before they get painted.  The fenders are heavier than they need to be.  I had them cut from 3/16" material.  I wanted them a little stouter though so they would hold up. 

Next up was finishing the rub rail.  I had already welded the stake pockets in place.  I had about 40" between stake pockets.  I decided to add a piece of 2" OD tube between the pockets to help support the rub rail.  The rail itself if 2-1/3" x1/4" flat.

Then I finished up the ramp storage.  I had already built it but didn't have the pins at that time.  With the pins in hand I wanted to finish that up.  I got to J-pins to retain the ramps.  I added a small plate with a hole to hold the long side of the pin.  Then drilled the holes in the required areas to retain the ramp.  The spring keeps the pin in place but allows the pin to be pulled out far enough to rotate out of the retainer holes.

Sunday morning I had a little time before church to start laying/ figuring out a plan to weld the tongue to the trailer.  Will hopefully get that done tonight.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:27:41 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Looks good, no losing ramp pins. Good idea and the fenders are heavy enough they should stand up to a blown tire. Very nice work there! :likebutton:

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2017, 01:19:43 PM »
Beautiful work bud. Might wanna throw some lock tabs on those ramps. I hear people like to steal them.

Oh, I seem to remember someone accusing me of overbuilding my bumper. :)  :beercheers:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2017, 01:38:14 PM »
Beautiful work bud. Might wanna throw some lock tabs on those ramps. I hear people like to steal them.

Oh, I seem to remember someone accusing me of overbuilding my bumper. :)  :beercheers:

In my location and where I normally travel I am not to worried about somebody stealing them.  I have a truck bed tool box I plan to mount to the front of the trailer when it is done.  I figure I will just keep a short length of chain with a lock in there.  If I am ever in an area where I am concerned I will just throw the chain around the ramps and lock it.

I do recall that.  I do not remember stating I was not guilty of the same.  :beercheers:
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 01:54:16 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 24, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
I am jealous of the space to build a trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 24, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
I have just enough room to close the garage door right now.  If I get the tongue on tonight most of it will be sticking out the door. 

I am hoping to get an actual shop built this coming winter.  Later this summer I plan to get with some contractors and get some quotes.  Hoping we will be able to pull it off financially speaking.  I am planning a "barn shop".  I would like to do a 2 story shop.  12' walls on the first floor and 8' on the second.  First floor would be were all the work gets done and second would be mainly storage.  I know at some point my wife will be getting her parents 36 Ford truck and car. Her Grandpa restored the car and when he passed her mom got it.  They already don't really have a good place to store it.  It is in a storage unit now.  Her dad is almost done putting together the truck.  Again they have no place to store that either.  Her grandpa also restored another car.  Her cousin has it right now but he has no real interest in it and suspect he is not caring for it properly.  She is hoping to get that one also before something happens to it.  Of course she also has her own aspirations and I do as well.  I figure a second story to the shop we be a perfect place to store them.  I still need to work out all the details to figure out if and how it will work.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 24, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »
If you leave part of the 2nd story floor out, buy a lift that you can store one car under the one up on the lift.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »
If you leave part of the 2nd story floor out, buy a lift that you can store one car under the one up on the lift.

I would prefer not to store vehicles in an area I intend to work in.  I do a decent amount of work with metal.  I plan to have a specific room setup for most of the welding and grinding with an exhaust system and dust collector system.  There will always be bigger projects and the like that won't fit though.  As soon as you touch a grinder on steel that dust goes everywhere. 

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
First thing last night I got the fenders grinded down and looking ready for paint.  Next up was getting the tongue on the trailer.  Started by getting the 2 A-frame rails in location.  Tacked them in place and then welded the channel to the front.   Took a few measurement to make sure everything was on straight and then welded the rails and channel on permanent.

Then I added a piece of 5" x 3/8" angle to the front.  It took me longer to determine how I wanted to attach the safety chains and what I needed then it did to determine anything else.  I remembered I had a few pieces of this angle left over from another project.  I cut it to fit inside the frame rails and welded it in place.

I will drill a couple holes to the bottom edge and pin a couple of chain repair links to them and to the chains. 

Tonight I plan to finish wrapping the rest of the tongue down the frame to the front of the fenders.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:28:40 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
I agree with bear, if you are welding and grinding you almost need your own shop dedicated for that operation. Smoke eaters help but you'll never get it all.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2017, 09:16:19 AM »
Forgot to add this yesterday.  I welded some hooks around the frame to run wiring through and zip-tie to.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:29:03 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:11 PM »
Why didn't you leave the loops solid so you didn't have to zip tie them?  Just fish the wire through?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
I just wish the gravel I drive on didn't eat wiring and this could be an option for me...
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
Because I had a bag of these sitting on the bench.  I do plan on running the wire through that plastic sheathing.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2017, 07:20:34 PM »
Really nice work!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2017, 09:07:03 PM »
I have seen some guys use conduit on trailers.  Not sure if that would be helpful with your rock issue

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 25, 2017, 10:24:53 PM »
I used PVC when I built mine.
It was free and here.
I'm going to have to redo it all.
The redo will be rigid conduit, threaded and welded to the fittings.
Welding may be a bad idea but that's how I'm seeing it now.

The biggest problem is keeping the brake wires on for me.
The rock litteraly eats it off at the backer plate.
That is the real solution I need to find.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2017, 08:02:10 AM »
I think I finished up welding last night.  Started out drilling the holes in that piece of angle to attach the safety chains to.  I went with a 7/16" G70 chain and hooks. 

Then I welded the jack stub on the trailer to mount the jack.  I placed it on the inside of the frame to make sure it stays out of the way.  Used a small length of the 3" channel that was cut of the cross members to space it out of the channel.

The pin can be pulled from the jack and rotated up out of the way. 

Checked the fit of the coupler.  I was able to find some washers and fit them in on one side to remove most of the side to side play.  There is a good bit of rotation about the bolts though.  It almost seems as if a little larger bolt could be used or the coupler holes are to large.

Then I welded a cross member into the bottom side of the A-frame rails.  This was added directly under the front most cross member.

I finished up the tongue by welding a second piece of 5" channel under the first running it all the way back as far as I could.  Stitch welded it to the top piece on both the outside and inside.

Then blasted 2 holes through the tongue to accept a couple of clearance lights.  This is on the corner of the tongue assembly.

I plan to run over some of the corners with a grinder tonight to make sure there aren't any sharp corners etc..  Then I believe it should be ready for paint.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:30:06 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2017, 08:22:33 AM »
Weld in some loops to hang your safety chains fro
 When not in use.  Helps keep them crossed for this who don't know and a spot to always attach them for consistency,

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:07 AM »
I was going through my original plans Monday and realized I had forgot the break-away system.  I did a quick search online and purchased a system Monday.  It showed up yesterday.

The actual break-away switch.

And the reserve battery box.

The idea here is that the cable is attached to the tow vehicle.  If a break-away should occur the pin is ripped from the switch.  This applies the brakes to the trailer axle.  It the electric is also removed or not hooked up the battery reserve has enough power to apply the brakes to the trailer axles.

First up built and welded a mounting bracket under the deck to mount the battery box.

And battery box test mounted.  I had some short bolts and nuts on hand.  I welded the nut to the plate but will need to grab some longer bolts.

Then I mounted the actual break-away switch to the front of the piece of angle iron I used to install the safety chains.  This seemed like a good protected spot to prevent damage but also work effectively.

Then I did a little grinding work to clean any sharp corners on the trailer. I removed the rear most tires from the axles and threw the tires on the very rear of the trailer.  This made the trailer nearly perfectly balance allowing me to push it out of the garage by hand.  I moved some stuff out of the way and cleaned up the garage floor so that I could push the trailer into the center stall and then spin it so it was in the garage sideways.  With the rear tire removed I was able to spin and manipulate it very easily.

Removed both axles and jacked it up.  I decided that I wasn't going to invest much into paint at this time.  This build was already over budget from where I wanted it to be.  If I want I will get it blasted and painted properly in the future.  I just blew it off with air and decided it was ready for paint.

I picked up a gallon of Rustoleam tractor paint in low gloss black for $30.  It seemed to spray ok and cover well.  The future will tell how well it holds up on this un-prepped steel. 

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:31:06 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2017, 10:23:50 AM »
Question for you fellas.  In the fender step behind the rear most axle.  Do I put an amber or red light there.  I have a red light on the side of the rear corner and an amber light in the front fender step in front of the axle.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2017, 10:41:27 AM »
If it faces back red, sideways amber.
Sam

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2017, 11:23:46 AM »
Looks good, Bear!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
What are you covering it with?

(guess I should proof read better  :rolleyes: )
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:11:19 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2017, 12:03:58 PM »
What am I using for decking?  2x8's is my plan.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
Have you checked with local lumber yard? Normally they can get the actual tongue & groove truck flooring in for you. At least in Indiana but they do build A LOT of trailers in Indiana too just saying....

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
Finally had some time to get back on this.  Started with some wiring last night.  Got the clearance lights and tail lights wired up down the left side.  Should get the rest of the wiring ran tonight and hopefully get the axles back on it.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2017, 01:19:39 PM »
Got the wiring finished up Thursday PM and got the axles back underneath it.  Friday I rolled it out of the garage and finished the tire install.  Checked light function and took it for a cruise down the road.  Seems to track very nicely  unloaded.

Saturday I got the deck on.  Then Sat PM while tending the burn pile I finished fitting a few things and checked the lights put in the dark.

After a couple test drives I don't think the brakes are working properly.  They don't seem to fully release all the way right away and don't seem to ramp up high enough.  Before putting the decking on I wasn't able to get the brakes to lock up when on a slow roll.  I'm not sure if they just need to be adjusted or if something else is wrong.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:32:20 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2017, 01:32:44 PM »
Wouldn't worry just yet. Usually the brakes take a while to brake in. Pun intended.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2017, 01:33:53 PM »
They may need adjusting.
They 'should' do it on their own.
You need to reverse slowly and manually apply IIRC.
Do it a few times and they should tighten up.

Then another road test to try and repeat as needed.

And what Ken said.
Sam

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2017, 01:36:23 PM »
Will they lock up manually using the controller?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
At first it didn't seem as if there was any braking being applied.  After a little bit of road time I could feel some amount of braking be applied but very little.  I will try reversing with the brakes manually applied and see if that does anything.

JR, manually using the controller gives me the same results as applying the brakes.  At first nothing but now there is some braking.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Is your brake controller set up right? Hopefully the wiring is heavy enough and has good grounding. If you bought used axles, did you freshen up the brakes and magnets. If they are self adjusting, they probably adjust going forward.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2017, 01:59:25 PM »
As light as that is it should lock up manually. Maybe some more brake in?

Is the controller new?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2017, 04:12:22 PM »
Sorry, I assumed they were new.?..
I know that if you put new shoes and magnets on old drums, they have to wear in, mostly on the magnet side, and if you clean the drums with solvent, it will take longer to break in. If everything is old and was not touched, you have an issue somewhere.
...and it's been my experience on trailers, that if they are too loose, they will actually grab harder (it allows the magnet to travel farther, gaining more leverage)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 04:13:43 PM by KensAuto »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2017, 07:49:58 AM »
Axles were used of a smaller camper.  They were manufactured in 2012 so not that old.  These sat for probably a year and a half with no use.  I have not looked at or refreshed anything with them yet.

The controller was installed on the truck when I purchased it.  It is not an integrated unit.  Seems to be working correctly as I get a read out when the brakes are applied with the controller hooked up.

I used 10 ga Cu clad Al wire for all the wiring.  All the grounds are wired back to the truck.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2017, 08:05:19 AM »
They may well just need some exercise.
Depending on storage they may be stuck/rusted as well.
I missed they were used, and assumed they were new loose.
They may well be old stuck...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 08:06:22 AM by Sammconn »
Sam

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal