Hello Guest

Author Topic: Like it or???  (Read 711 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Like it or???
« on: July 28, 2022, 05:14:10 PM »
So, where do you fall with this upcoming luxury vehicle? Seems like a leap forward for this car manufacturer whom I usually end up owning.

https://www.cadillac.com/show-car/celestiq?evar36=B2000005958_MRM_eml_CAD_JulyNewsletterA1_0722_1122995660&hid=91d834a7ec3e9743277f49d299ba0be5e34c376f30179a0920155d37a47c9113
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Like it or???
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 05:17:11 PM »
I think they are trying to give a hardy poke at Elon...His light shows were dazzling. This one speaks to elegance. Probably not this crowd's cup of tea, but I have to say, I do like it.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 07:20:20 PM »
If a 300k luxury car was in reach for me toght now, I like it. Unfortunately I don’t know how it would hold up to 11 kids and my gravel driveway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 07:34:12 PM »
The last caddy I looked at was an Escalade for the wife. Shiny magpie ghetto interior was a deal killer for me.

For $300 k I’ll buy a full resto mod build of a 63 split window vette or a Porsche 911 turbo convertible

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 08:16:19 PM »
Come on Tex, I bet they’ll paint it red for ya. ;)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 09:38:53 PM »
I have always wanted a Cadillac car, a nice four door from 2005 would be my choice. 

$300k buys a whole lot of other stuff.   

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 10:18:41 PM »
I did not notice the price...$300K!!! Really!!!!

Naw, much as I like the brand, deal me out

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2022, 01:36:12 AM »
My house was less than 300k, jus’ sayin’!
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2022, 09:54:05 AM »
I'd rather own a Ford than work on a caddy. Yucko

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2022, 09:58:02 AM »
I like the lines but the price is out of my range

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 10:22:48 AM »

Your comment made me think

About

The future

of guys like you...

These electric cars have so few moving parts that normal/routine servicing is going to become a thing of the past. No oil changes or transmission issues. No pesky engine ticks or exhaust systems wearing out. No fuel pumps failing or bad gas or fuel injectors. No sensors...nothing like that. The battery is armored and would probably just be replaced, or the vehicle is totaled in an accident. The drive unit replaces as a single piece and that leaves tires, some axle shafts and brakes. But since the drive unit slows the car instead of brakes, you'll likely never replace brakes, ever!

Once these things start to account for 25% of the vehicles on the road, there will be significantly less traditional automotive servicing going on. It didn't occur to me until Ken made the comment, but the mom-and-pop service centers are going to be on their way out...WOW!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 10:24:39 AM »
And this is not something that is going to happen, it is happening already, although ICE-powered vehicles are a part of our foreseeable future

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 07:42:15 PM »
It’ll be a long long time before heavy equipment and heavy vehicles go away but the new automotive is going to be circuit board replacement and programming

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2022, 12:13:22 PM »

Your comment made me think

About

The future

of guys like you...

These electric cars have so few moving parts that normal/routine servicing is going to become a thing of the past. No oil changes or transmission issues. No pesky engine ticks or exhaust systems wearing out. No fuel pumps failing or bad gas or fuel injectors. No sensors...nothing like that. The battery is armored and would probably just be replaced, or the vehicle is totaled in an accident. The drive unit replaces as a single piece and that leaves tires, some axle shafts and brakes. But since the drive unit slows the car instead of brakes, you'll likely never replace brakes, ever!

Once these things start to account for 25% of the vehicles on the road, there will be significantly less traditional automotive servicing going on. It didn't occur to me until Ken made the comment, but the mom-and-pop service centers are going to be on their way out...WOW!

Well I give a little perspective, you are 100% correct the IC engine will become scarce in the coming years at least in the ground transport segment.  Once you get rid of the IC engine all the other stuff(transmissions, driveshafts, even brakes, ETC) disappears.

The days of working on cars will be fast coming to an end, it will be more of just get a new one.   The idea will be you drive for 100-300K and just get a new car OR you forgo ownership and it will be like total recall "johonny cab" type ride share.

SOME real big construction equipment is and has been electrified for many decades already.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcmGKsHZXZ8 is an example and most of the large open pit trucks are diesel electric, lets not forget trains, submarines.

IC have gotten a lot better, a real good example is if you ever drive to Alaska you will notice the amount of derelict/closed gas stations.  Most of you are old enough to remember your home towns gowning up.  I know of several cross streets that there were 4ea stations and now 0   Where a town had 10-12 stations now there are 2.  Same goes for repair shops.

Brakes, tires, suspension, will always need love but everything else will be "sealed for life" and as the USAF found out the electronics made in the 90's will not be supported and you will either have to make from scratch or depend on the Chinaman to not screw you over.

It will change, how fast not sure but for sure in my lifetime.  I predict fuel will become like micro brewery's you will have to order it in 55gal drums or go to "gas houses" to ride around in the old cars.

For those of you that have forgotten how bad the 50-70's cars were go to a muscle car show and stand at the exit of where the cars are lining up to leave, tell me how long before your eyes start watering.

Now before all you clowns start saying I have turned into hippie Shawn and sleep in brown packing paper I will own IC until I die.  Not saying I wont buy a Tesla because  I have a Cyber Truck ordered, change is coming not sure of what the long term affect will be.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 06:08:10 PM »
I read everything you wrote and had some comprehension going on right up to the point where you said you had a cyber-truck on order.

Now, all I remember

is

I have a cyber-truck on order

Trying to recall the nomenclature of that big Cessna you bought, but all I can see is a cyber-truck
« Last Edit: July 30, 2022, 06:10:05 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2022, 06:24:27 PM »
My guess is we will see a large change over next 10-15 years after that who knows. I’m with Phil though can’t see ever not having a couple IC vehicles. But we have considered adding an electric at some point if it makes sense. It doesn’t for us currently.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2022, 06:28:26 PM »
My guess is we will see a large change over next 10-15 years after that who knows. I’m with Phil though can’t see ever not having a couple IC vehicles. But we have considered adding an electric at some point if it makes sense. It doesn’t for us currently.
I think I'm about a month from adding mine

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal