Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1998 Jeep XJ  (Read 56955 times)

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: 1998 Jeep XJ
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2014, 09:06:45 AM »

Its hard to eyeball a rotor and know if its warped or not.  Maybe impossible. 

I know a lot of guys skip having the rotors turned / resurfaced when replacing pads but it is something you really want to do, especially if a warped rotor is suspect.

Well I might just replace the rotors, a lot of places around here don't want to turn or re-surface them. We'll see what the outcome shall be.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2014, 09:29:27 AM »
That sounds like a warped brake rotor.

Replaced the front pads and the rotors didn't seem warped. I'm going to check them again, and probably check the wheel bearings. Just checking everything at this time I suppose.

Its hard to eyeball a rotor and know if its warped or not.  Maybe impossible. 

I know a lot of guys skip having the rotors turned / resurfaced when replacing pads but it is something you really want to do, especially if a warped rotor is suspect.
He's right Bobby. Believe it or not, even new rotors are warped straight out of the box (a couple thousandths all the way to .020"). They shouldn't be stacked on top of each other during shipping, but they are, and that alone is enough to warp them to some degree.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2014, 10:35:40 AM »
He's right Bobby. Believe it or not, even new rotors are warped straight out of the box (a couple thousandths all the way to .020"). They shouldn't be stacked on top of each other during shipping, but they are, and that alone is enough to warp them to some degree.

Well then XJ is gonna have to cooperate and help me eliminate all the vibs/squeaks/groans/grinds and other miscellaneous noises... like that'll ever happen!
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2015, 04:25:06 PM »
Well, XJ got :
An oil change
2 new headlights
Heater box flushed out, so now it's blowing actual heat out of the vents.

I ordered new sway bar end links, and 2 new inner fender plastics. Next payday I'll pick up the new fender and front fender flares, and hopefully coordinate with the guy I work with to cut out the rust and old rockers and weld in the new rocker panels.

I've been racking my brain whether to lift or not lift XJ. I'd like a 3" but I've seen a 2.5" lift. But then again, I'd almost like to get XJ level and stock to work out the vibs/squeaks/grinds before I add height to the equation. The Duratracs aren't helping my decision since they don't appear to be wearing down.. Time will tell where my thoughts end.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
I have chased weird noises on xj's for years. for rear rotational noises, there have been plenty of times where the wheel bearing was indeed bad, but had no movement that one would notice during a shakedown or alignment. I've also replaced the same rear wheel bearing twice only to have it turn out to be the backing plate was slightly bent in the groove where the brake drum sits. it was pinched in one spot, impossible to see without pulling the drum off, but even then it was so dirty it didn't show itself till I was being screamed at by an old lady, and put some tire chalk on the drum to see if it was touching anywhere on the plate. 30 seconds w/a pair of pliers and the problem was solved. don't overlook stupid things that you think "couldn't possibly be the cause" Ken's got some major points; and I've seen drums that are so out of round from the factory they practically hop.

My $0.02, if you're going to replace suspension components at all, get a lift kit that includes all the bushings etc and do it right once. the factory style suspension components are probably pretty close to the cost of an aftermarket lift kit, and usually of a lesser quality. if you go with the smaller lift kit, you can usually get away without the expensive transfercase drop kit, and or custom driveshafts.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
I have chased weird noises on xj's for years. for rear rotational noises, there have been plenty of times where the wheel bearing was indeed bad, but had no movement that one would notice during a shakedown or alignment. I've also replaced the same rear wheel bearing twice only to have it turn out to be the backing plate was slightly bent in the groove where the brake drum sits. it was pinched in one spot, impossible to see without pulling the drum off, but even then it was so dirty it didn't show itself till I was being screamed at by an old lady, and put some tire chalk on the drum to see if it was touching anywhere on the plate. 30 seconds w/a pair of pliers and the problem was solved. don't overlook stupid things that you think "couldn't possibly be the cause" Ken's got some major points; and I've seen drums that are so out of round from the factory they practically hop.

My $0.02, if you're going to replace suspension components at all, get a lift kit that includes all the bushings etc and do it right once. the factory style suspension components are probably pretty close to the cost of an aftermarket lift kit, and usually of a lesser quality. if you go with the smaller lift kit, you can usually get away without the expensive transfercase drop kit, and or custom driveshafts.

I replaced both front hubs, and that killed alot of the noise. I'm agreeing with Ken about the brake rotors being warped, just have to get some new ones. As for a lift.. well I'm still torn between 2.5 or 3". But before that I need to fix the rust and the bushings, I've seen a complete front end bushing kit, and I'm debating, since most of the lifts I've seen have bushings included. Time will tell what happens with XJ.

Any recommendations for the lifts? I lost my list of needs/wants and the pros/cons. I was in a cleaning/organizing mood and got rid of it, stupidly.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
Bobby, Last Sunday while driving back from church. I stopped in traffic right beside a Jeep like yours. Really KOOL looking rig. It was lifted, I'd say 4" maybe better and was riding on 33's I think. Had part of the front wheel well cut away, rears were stock. Had a roof rack, bumper stuff and lights along with other gnarly looking things.

He had decent offset wheels which widened the track offsetting the negatives of lifting the COG. It was still riding on the tiny stock diffs, so judging from that jeep, the stockers were holding up to 33's, although my casual observation is not a valid estimate of the axles strength, that's for sure.

Anyway, ground clearance was good, stance was right, it went down the road straight (I followed him for a while) and played in traffic just fine. I like the taller lift!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2015, 01:34:26 PM »
No matter what you do, I've been informed that you will most likely require a tcase drop and custom driveline for freeway travel. 4.5" BDS kits are great, and I've got a guy in MI willing to take good care of you on one should you go that route. He ran the same lift w/ 33" tires for years and even ran Moab with it, so very capable and cost effective at the same time. Unlimited Off Road in MI, talk to Kevin 1-810-936-7000, tell him I sent you. If you can't get anywhere with them, talk to Rusty's off Road products in AL. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/, Rusty or Zack.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2015, 03:08:05 PM »
Bobby, Last Sunday while driving back from church. I stopped in traffic right beside a Jeep like yours. Really KOOL looking rig. It was lifted, I'd say 4" maybe better and was riding on 33's I think. Had part of the front wheel well cut away, rears were stock. Had a roof rack, bumper stuff and lights along with other gnarly looking things.

He had decent offset wheels which widened the track offsetting the negatives of lifting the COG. It was still riding on the tiny stock diffs, so judging from that jeep, the stockers were holding up to 33's, although my casual observation is not a valid estimate of the axles strength, that's for sure.

Anyway, ground clearance was good, stance was right, it went down the road straight (I followed him for a while) and played in traffic just fine. I like the taller lift!

I've seen a few XJs like that cruising around. I had/have/am thinking about just going for it like that... only thing is some of the cops up here love stopping people for having tires exposed like that, or this that or the other thing. The 4.5" does look awesome...

SO hard to choose.

No matter what you do, I've been informed that you will most likely require a tcase drop and custom driveline for freeway travel. 4.5" BDS kits are great, and I've got a guy in MI willing to take good care of you on one should you go that route. He ran the same lift w/ 33" tires for years and even ran Moab with it, so very capable and cost effective at the same time. Unlimited Off Road in MI, talk to Kevin 1-810-936-7000, tell him I sent you. If you can't get anywhere with them, talk to Rusty's off Road products in AL. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/, Rusty or Zack.

Sounds good Tate thanks. I started a new "build" sheet and added the names/numbers on it. Hopefully by spring I "SHOULD" be able to start lifting/changing XJ. I'm not doing anything in Winter if it can be avoided.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2015, 05:03:50 PM »
If it has D44's you should be fine with 33's unless you have a healthy SBC in there.

I have been researching Cvs for my Dmax do you think that would help, unless you know for sure it is rotors and they are cheap now!!

OH, and to play Devils Advocate, where are the pics!!!  ;D
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
more likely 8.25 chy or amc 35 rear d30 high pin front, but still w/ 33" tires he's going to be just fine with the 4.0L hopefully he has the 8.25 chy rear. To echo previous statements, any pics? shoot me a rear diff cover shot and I can ID it for you

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2015, 03:52:55 AM »
If it has D44's you should be fine with 33's unless you have a healthy SBC in there.

I have been researching Cvs for my Dmax do you think that would help, unless you know for sure it is rotors and they are cheap now!!

OH, and to play Devils Advocate, where are the pics!!!  ;D

Pics when it's not covered in road salt/grime.

more likely 8.25 chy or amc 35 rear d30 high pin front, but still w/ 33" tires he's going to be just fine with the 4.0L hopefully he has the 8.25 chy rear. To echo previous statements, any pics? shoot me a rear diff cover shot and I can ID it for you

Chrysler 8.25 rear, D30 up front.

Pics when it's not covered in road salt/grime.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2015, 06:56:10 PM »
Lucky you. 29 spline axles vs the 27 is a good thing. 8.25 vs 7.625 is another good thing. parts are a little more expensive but we have a lot of options.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2015, 03:45:44 AM »
Lucky you. 29 spline axles vs the 27 is a good thing. 8.25 vs 7.625 is another good thing. parts are a little more expensive but we have a lot of options.

Good to know. Hopefully spring time will be the timeframe I need to upgrade XJ.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2015, 07:22:15 PM »
Little update.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:41:34 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:27 PM »
I remember a post from somebody talkin about the toes of a certin older man needing to be cropped from a pic...............?  Lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2015, 09:19:04 PM »
They almost look painted  :o

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
I remember a post from somebody talkin about the toes of a certin older man needing to be cropped from a pic...............?  Lol

Actually, it was you and I giving him a quick verbal counseling on the dangers and irresponsibility of wearing sandals in the shop area in direct violation of the PPE rules and regulation set forth by the DOTs.

Ha, no I was taking the pics in my kitchen/dining room and the lighting isn't very good. But one big toenail has a bruise under it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:18:44 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2015, 10:31:52 PM »
I can see where that mutt gets his big feet from!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:28 AM »
I can see where that mutt gets his big feet from!

Ha, he doesn't sink in the snow like I do. I wish I had that ability to snowshoe on top of everything.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »

Actually, it was you and I giving him a quick verbal counseling on the dangers and irresponsibility of wearing sandals in the shop area in direct violation of the PPE rules and regulation set forth by the DOTs.

just one battle DOT lookin out for another battle DOT.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »
just one battle DOT lookin out for another battle DOT.

there's DOTs', then there's battle DOTs'. lol

Unrelated note : The Military Channel (or now called American Heroes Channel) is quite boring, and really need to step up their game.

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2015, 03:30:38 PM »

I had to zoom in- thought so too!  :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »
So, I've been searching for bumpers for XJ and found the following that I like. However, if I see something different, I bookmark it. Opinions? Other options I haven't listed, but you think would be a good option..

In no particular order

1. OR-FAB
 http://www.quadratec.com/products/72025_802X_PG.htm

2. JCR Offroad
 http://www.jcroffroad.com/product/XJ/XJFV.html

3. Smittybilt
 http://www.quadratec.com/products/12051_0800_07.htm

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
I like all of them you chose

Here's one with more frontal coverage:

http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/c-65726-bumpers-grilles-jeep-bumpers-jeep-xj-cherokee-bumpers.html

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2015, 10:29:59 AM »
I don't do much posting, but I've had good luck with Hanson on my last couple of Jeep projects Bobby.

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/
Exodus 14:14

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2015, 03:46:21 PM »
I like all of them you chose

Here's one with more frontal coverage:

http://eastsidecustomtruck.com/c-65726-bumpers-grilles-jeep-bumpers-jeep-xj-cherokee-bumpers.html

They are nice... the price is not. However, I did bookmark the page, and shall be browsing back to it alot.

$2,300 + for a D44.... I got excited until I saw the price, then I almost cried.

I don't do much posting, but I've had good luck with Hanson on my last couple of Jeep projects Bobby.

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/

Awesome, thanks for the link. By all means post away if you got Jeep knowledge that might come in handy.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:47:57 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »
Good folks at Hanson in my experience.  Not cheap, but they seem to want to please the customer.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2015, 04:55:33 PM »
I agree with the positive comments about Hanson products. Read a write-up about them and him once. They have grown a bunch over the years, so I can only hope product quality is as good as when they were one-offing stuff.

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2015, 05:31:57 PM »
Just a few years back they made some changes for me by request.  At the time all items were built to order.  Build quality was top notch!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2015, 06:47:49 PM »
Guess I'm gonna be checking them out more.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2015, 03:01:31 AM »
Speaking of boring. My boys and I just spent the night on the USS Hornet based in Alameda. A "kid" was giving us tours and I knew about 50 times more than him. He couldn't even name the planes he was standing next to.

Was still a blast and they had an old CH-34 like my dad flew before the Hueys.

Only banged my head once on a ship built for 5ft 9in on 6ft frame.

Somehow I saw boring somewhere and posted this, oh well, another DOT post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 8)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2015, 08:15:57 AM »
Speaking of boring. My boys and I just spent the night on the USS Hornet based in Alameda. A "kid" was giving us tours and I knew about 50 times more than him. He couldn't even name the planes he was standing next to.

Was still a blast and they had an old CH-34 like my dad flew before the Hueys.

Only banged my head once on a ship built for 5ft 9in on 6ft frame.

Somehow I saw boring somewhere and posted this, oh well, another DOT post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 8)

That's why if I can wander on my own, I will, or I'll lag behind and go at my own pace.

Oh the ol'piston bird.. I saw one flying around here a couple years ago, but haven't seen it since

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »
Well, XJ decided that I didn't need to get home Saturday night. I was headed home and the temp gauge redlined. Soon after wards something blew apart and for 1/2 mile, I was apparently spewing coolant all over the road and engine compartment. Due to the fireworks that were going on I didn't hear the thud. I did however see the smoke rolling from under the hood. I stopped and checked it out, but in the -35 temps I didn't see a split hose,hole, or missing section. We'll see what the mechanic says.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2015, 04:40:31 PM »
Ouch

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2015, 06:10:55 PM »
Ouch

Yup, Murphy has been hanging out lately and it's kind of annoying.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
So what was it??

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2015, 01:16:22 PM »
So what was it??

Still waiting to hear back. I'm borrowing dad's car until I hear back. Probably won't hear anything until tomorrow. I'll update when I hear anything.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
I hope it's minor buddy!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2015, 04:01:36 PM »
I hope it's minor buddy!

I drove it 10 mi from the lot to the mechanic, so it wasn't a catastrophic problem. Dad was thinking a freeze plug failed, I'm leaning that way. It was wickedly cold, to the point the -35 temp antifreeze I had was a bit slushy, so that probably played a part in it.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2015, 04:44:40 PM »
Murphy has been busy lately

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »
It's amazing the effect that low temps can have on things

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »
Murphy has been busy lately

Yes he has.

It's amazing the effect that low temps can have on things

Yea...

Called the shop this morning. The mechanic is going to see if he can get it to overheat later today. The thermostat was replaced not too long ago. He thinks maybe on one end of the spectrum maybe just the radiator cap popped off, or the other end.... head gasket is probably close to being NMC. Guess I'll find out later today.

P.S. Murphy can go visit someone else for awhile... that'd be super.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »
have the tech double check the coolant reservoir; I have been on hand for 2 head gasket jobs that turned out to be simple coolant reservoir seal failures. under pressure they blast the hot coolant against the hot block, run the level down and the temp up, but often they are the only issue with these 4.0L's. Hope that's the case Bobby.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
have the tech double check the coolant reservoir; I have been on hand for 2 head gasket jobs that turned out to be simple coolant reservoir seal failures. under pressure they blast the hot coolant against the hot block, run the level down and the temp up, but often they are the only issue with these 4.0L's. Hope that's the case Bobby.

Once he calls, I'll ask him. But wouldn't that just coat the passenger side with coolant? Mine was all driver side.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2015, 02:50:30 PM »
Hope it is not a head gasket

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2015, 03:50:06 PM »
Hope it is not a head gasket

I am hoping the same.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2015, 07:00:38 PM »

Once he calls, I'll ask him. But wouldn't that just coat the passenger side with coolant? Mine was all driver side.

Guess I stepped in it there. it's been more than a few years since those events took place. Their location has left my memory banks but they were the cause of that problem at that time. Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2015, 01:50:36 AM »
Guess I stepped in it there. it's been more than a few years since those events took place. Their location has left my memory banks but they were the cause of that problem at that time. Too bad that doesn't seem to be the case for you.

You didn't step in it. You gave legit advice. When I first read it , I was thinking "it's possible..." but then realized wrong side. So still waiting...

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »
I just saw this Bobby. It is definitely possible that the freeze plugs gave....they are on the left side, behind the exhaust. Just did some last year and I think you can do all of them (3 I think) without taking the manifolds off IIRC.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal