Hello Guest

Author Topic: Joint Chief of Staff memo  (Read 686 times)

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Joint Chief of Staff memo
« on: January 13, 2021, 08:00:51 AM »
I have never seen the JCS get involved in politics. They could have written this so much better and not taken sides. I don't agree with the violence at the Capital but I also don't agree with this letter or the Base commander on this. The military is none political.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Joint Chief of Staff memo
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 12:39:33 PM »
That letter should never have been published

Steve, you're correct it is political. Our country is not the same, something fundamental to our nature has changed
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 03:08:18 PM »
I don't think the intent of the letter was political. The letter was sent as a reminder to the force that we serve to support and defend the Constitution. This is something that, unfortunately, needed to happen because of the growing number of Servicemen/women who are engaging in direct (and often vulgar) criticism of senior military and civilian leadership on social media. There was also an active duty officer who organized and led a group of Soldiers to participate in the demonstration on 06JAN. There were also a number of reserve component service members present at that event. It is unclear as to whether or not any of them were involved in the rioting, but that is under investigation. In my opinion, we (current leaders in the armed forces) have failed to properly educate young service members on the fact that we DO NOT have the same rights to freedom of expression as our civilian brother and sisters. We are held to a higher standard. We can engage in politics, but MUST appear apolitical to the public while still serving. No matter who is elected as President, no matter whether we agree with their politics, he/she is still our Commander in Chief. We are obligated to follow all lawful orders. That is why this letter, and one from the Chief of Staff from the individual services as issued.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 07:34:57 PM »
I don't think the intent of the letter was political. The letter was sent as a reminder to the force that we serve to support and defend the Constitution. This is something that, unfortunately, needed to happen because of the growing number of Servicemen/women who are engaging in direct (and often vulgar) criticism of senior military and civilian leadership on social media. There was also an active duty officer who organized and led a group of Soldiers to participate in the demonstration on 06JAN. There were also a number of reserve component service members present at that event. It is unclear as to whether or not any of them were involved in the rioting, but that is under investigation. In my opinion, we (current leaders in the armed forces) have failed to properly educate young service members on the fact that we DO NOT have the same rights to freedom of expression as our civilian brother and sisters. We are held to a higher standard. We can engage in politics, but MUST appear apolitical to the public while still serving. No matter who is elected as President, no matter whether we agree with their politics, he/she is still our Commander in Chief. We are obligated to follow all lawful orders. That is why this letter, and one from the Chief of Staff from the individual services as issued.
Sean, Thanks for shedding light on this and clearing things up. I understand this very well.

Many moons ago, I sat in the Ft. Campbell Officers Club at one of those mandatory things, which was called for by the CG, 101st Airborne Division. He told us more or less the same thing. I got to chat with him a bit later. I said, "Roger that" but aired some of my frustration with the current CIC. He told me that we cannot lower ourselves to the standards our civilian authority seem to hold, and that we are better than that.

Indeed, we are better than that. Anyone serving should be a country mile away from this stuff, it is for the people to exercise their rights. Only way a soldier needs to be near a political riot is if has been ordered to be there.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 07:11:14 AM »
Sean, I agree with what you said but in the past from what I remember before each election cycle begain someone was passing or sending out the regulations/instructions of what a military or civilian employee could/ couldn't do. Still being a civilian employee I didn't see any of that. I also feel that the JCS could have found someone that could have written the letter better. I very well could be wrong but when I read that I feel they are trying to divide the military into democrats and republicans in place of proud military and civilian.

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 09:43:51 AM »
Steve, I didn't get that when I read it. Of course, that may be because I had already received the info on SMs being part of the "demonstration". They still brief Hatch Act information before each election, but that mostly covers what we can/can't do to support political candidates. It has become a "check the block" deal. I think we, as an institution, have failed to realize that most of our young officers and enlisted personnel have been brought up in an era where civics is not taught in schools. That coupled with social media encouraging us to polarize, has led to actions which affect the good order and discipline of our armed forces. As an Army brat, I can remember when a lot of Soldiers didn't vote so they could serve whoever was elected without any "bias". This current generation on SM just doesn't understand why they can't do what they want. As an ROTC instructor, I always refused to discuss my voting preference with my Cadets. Instead, encouraging them to research the candidates. I tried to educate them on how, as future leaders, they could not enter into discussions concerning politics with their subordinates, so as not to influence how they should vote.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 10:33:39 AM »
Sean, as I was reading your message a email came to my work email from JA and PA that was marked FOUO so not sharing but it covers what I would have expected on off base demonstration. Kind of late they should have sent it out back this summer when all that was going on. But very military written this is what you can do and this is what you can't do. Like you said no civics and I will add very little common sense

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 12:29:22 PM »
Sean, as I was reading your message a email came to my work email from JA and PA that was marked FOUO so not sharing but it covers what I would have expected on off base demonstration. Kind of late they should have sent it out back this summer when all that was going on. But very military written this is what you can do and this is what you can't do. Like you said no civics and I will add very little common sense

Steve, I agree. Common sense is no longer common.
~Sean M. Davis

Μολων Λαβε

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal