Hello Guest

Author Topic: Enjoying my Christmas present from the wife.  (Read 4678 times)

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
Enjoying my Christmas present from the wife.
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:02:53 PM »
It might not be a new weapon but it was just what I wanted, reloading equipment.
A Lee load master with 9mm, .45, .223 and .308 dies and some other accessories, case feeders and some case prep tools.

I built the bench while I was off work recovering after a surgical blunder and a bad case of staph infection. But that has healed after 8 weeks of IV antibiotics.

So while waiting on my powder order I figured I would start some case prep on all the brass I have saved. I'm on my last 100 of .308, depriming so I can trim cases and get rid on the crimped primer pockets on the mil spec brass. But I he time the powder gets here I'll be ready to start to work up a load for the Remy. Then some bulk loading of 9 mm, .45 and .223.

Since I'm just starting to reload any advice is welcome.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Enjoying my Christmas present from the wife.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 10:50:27 AM »
It looks like you're setup to use a powder drop? If so, be sure to use a scale to double check the amount that's dropped. For my hunting rounds, I check each round after doing a box (20). It adds an extra step, but it's the only way to make them perfectly the same.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »
I really like the work station. I need to put something together like that to organize some of my junk.

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2015, 01:57:52 PM »
It looks like you're setup to use a powder drop? If so, be sure to use a scale to double check the amount that's dropped. For my hunting rounds, I check each round after doing a box (20). It adds an extra step, but it's the only way to make them perfectly the same.

Thanks for the advice Ken, I will do that on the bulk loading.
I plan on batch loading for the .308 and use a funnel and scale all powder to work up the load.

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2015, 01:58:56 PM »
I really like the work station. I need to put something together like that to organize some of my junk.

Thanks, it drives me nuts when things are out of order.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »
Keith you have a nice starter set up there.  Congratulations.

"The ABCs of Reloading was my first book" and I recommend it.

There are many philosophies on reloading.  The BR guys will size, trim, sort by weight, check case capacity with water, chamfer neck, check neck tension and hand weigh all charges and weigh the bullets and sort them by weight, and even a few more steps.

I admit, I do some of those things for my precision rifle, for hunting I stick with the basics.

Size and trim to consistent length, chamfer the mouth, weigh each charge on an RCBS chargemaster, set the OAL at the optimum for that particular rifle and then let it fly.

The other best piece of equipment to have is a free-bore gauge or overall length gauge.  The amount of freebore varies greatly and setting your projectile about .002 off the lands gives the best "jump" so that you get the projectile engaged in the lands consistently.  SAAMI OAL is kinda average and you want to produce rounds that are ideal for your particular rifle. 

Just don't make the assumption that you can use that ammo in another weapon without checking that other rifles free bore and OAL.  The risk is you jamb the round into the lands and if you extract the round you could leave the projectile stuck in the lands and on Max loads, the extra pressure of being jambed in to the lands might just make it too hot a load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/570611/hornady-lock-n-load-overall-length-gage-bolt-action

http://www.larrywillis.com/OAL.html

Then start saving money for the RCBS Chargemaster.....

The other thing I recommend is Quickload software.  Allows you to model different powders, projectiles, burn rates, and trajectory tables

Enjoy!
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »
Thanks TRN I will defiantly use the info. I'm really looking forward to the first time at the range with some work ups. I also need to get a chronograph at least for the precision reloads so I can enter results into my balistics software.

An expensive hobby but we'll worth it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2015, 04:13:07 PM »
Yes a Chono will be nice to have.  I splurged and bought a Ohler 35P with the printer years ago and never regretted it.

However, remember the bullet does not lie.  You can reverse engineer your velocity if you have the barrel length and BC of the projectile along with good real world dope data.  I really only use it to work up max loads to see when the charge/velocity relationship changes.  And I sometimes use it as a baseline for my dope cards but shoot the distances in the real world and adjust the card accordingly.  In reality the ballistics software I use is so accurate I often just run the trajectory tables from my load work up in the software and it gets me pretty close so I can shoot it in the real world.

The rabbit hole goes deep and it is always hungry for money.... :-)
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
One thing there I'll never see: Cleanliness!
Good lookin' work area bro!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2015, 08:13:17 PM »
What would be another good powder for the .308? I'm going to try Accurate LT-32 witch will be fine in the .223, but would like to try another to see what the rifle likes to eat. I'm using CCI primers and topping it with Sierra 175 gr. MK HPBT.

Thanks Don, trying to o be a good example for the boys... But it doesn't seem to be sinking in... :-)

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 09:17:02 PM »
My .308 seems to like Varget best but imr-4064 and BL-C2 are good choices as well. Hard to find Varget at times so I stock up when I do find it.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
My .308 seems to like Varget best but imr-4064 and BL-C2 are good choices as well. Hard to find Varget at times so I stock up when I do find it.
Those are my go to's, plus imr-3031 for some bullets also.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
I use varget almost exclusively in my 308.  H335 in 5.56 and RL17 in my 300WM.

If you want to model some loads, let me know.  I have the QuickLoad software and can model some for you

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
Thank s for the info. I think I am going to try one of these as well as the LT -32 to get some comparison.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal