Hello Guest

Author Topic: At what point do you hold a parent accountable for their kid?  (Read 1373 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
At what point do you hold a parent accountable for their kid?
« on: February 28, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
Ok, so here’s my rant or vent for this morning.

A little history, two summers ago these two brothers my middle daughters age 7th grade at the time one of which decided to hit her (punch to face) at local park. So Shelby comes home crying, explains what happened. Told her to get in Jeep, she tells me they went home & she doesn’t know where they live. Regardless we find two brothers down a couple houses from their own and I ask them where they live. They point to the house a couple down with both parents standing out front (think present day ward cleaver) so I drive down there and in no uncertain terms explain what happened. The mother is beside herself and the Dad is wondering by the look in his eye how this is going to end as I’m pissed. Long story they apologize and kid then sent into house for whatever fate.

So this morning my daughters are talking about some kid getting bullied at bus stop. My middle daughter again is now talking about walking up and punching said bully in the nose. To which I didn’t have much response other then make sure you finish it if you start it. Mother on other hand didn’t think that was such a great idea.

So hour later I’m taking two youngest to bus stop. While driving there we pass a kid who has some mental deficiencies but all in all is a good kid from what I’ve witnessed. Middle daughter points out that he’s the one who is getting bullied. So we drive on & they then point out that the bully is non other than the boy who punched my middle daughter two summers ago. So against my daughters wishes I pull truck over and roll down window. I then proceed to have a conversation once again with this boy. He admits to picking on the other kid no less & also acknowledges the mental short comings of the other kid. I calmly explain men don’t do that & if I find out that you ever do that again your Dad & I are going to have a much deeper conversation about the matter.

So reflecting I really would like to smack this Dad in the mouth for his obvious failures, I won’t obviously. However, other than his son being respectful to me & not lying when confronted about his actions I’m getting a little tired of the crap this kid is pulling in our community. One thing is for certain had I ever hit a girl as a boy I can guarantee you I would not have been able to sit for a week as a result of my Dad’s leather belt. Rant off
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:21:47 AM by stlaser »
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: At what point do you hold a parent accountable for their kid?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 11:35:35 AM »
Shawn, haven't you heard about equality? "White Knighting" is frowned upon, and it's ok to punch girls now.  :rolleyes:
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 03:22:43 PM »
SMH.

When I was a kid, if I'd acted like that my Mom would have whooped my @$$, and then I would have received another from my Dad when he got home! Liberal helicopter parenting is, IMHO, the cause. I believe it si also why we have so many shootings at schools. Parents aren't involved in raising their kids anymore.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 03:28:58 PM »
^^^^ X2 ^^^^
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
SMH.

When I was a kid, if I'd acted like that my Mom would have whooped my @$$, and then I would have received another from my Dad when he got home! Liberal helicopter parenting is, IMHO, the cause. I believe it si also why we have so many shootings at schools. Parents aren't involved in raising their kids anymore.

Yep. We always got the twofer special also. They seemed to try and out do each other with the belt or whatever else was handy at the time.  :cry:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 05:32:11 PM »
Not I, when my old man got pissed watch out he’d do a good enough job for for both him and my mom.

Heck, my school principle and his paddle didn’t hold a candle to what my dad could dish out (for the record laughing at the principle before swats probably wasn’t the best idea either, made him try extra hard). Guess there was a reason my Dad and I still don’t see eye to eye on a few things. But I wouldn’t dream of hitting a girl either so to each their own I suppose.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 06:24:11 PM »
You could always teach the same aged kids to host a blanket party for the bully......jus sayin

You can supply the bars of soap and pillow cases....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 07:46:56 PM »
You could always teach the same aged kids to host a blanket party for the bully......jus sayin

You can supply the bars of soap and pillow cases....

Hmmmm, might be look down upon by my neighbors.......

Charles, great idea. Fortunately I don’t live in a prison.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 08:03:23 PM »
Yeah times have changed. When my wife was in middle school a kid was harassing her. My FIL went and complained to the principal, the principal said he would handle it. He got two 6th graders to beat the crap out of the kid. Haha. I try to imagine that today.

I think a message to the Dad is warranted and the school system. For all we know the Dad travels, is never home, is a druggie now, who the heck knows. But clearly the kid isn't getting the "guidance" he needs....and the school needs to be aware of it. I'm not a fan of "turning it over" to the school by any stretch, but making them aware of it is impprtant, maybe if the parents wont help then someone in the schools will. I was at a town meeting last night on achool protections and while I will be having further conversations with the Police chief about more armed protection (as I know a number of my friends will be), I was pretty amazed at the amount of coordinated "mental health" attention they are putting forward. (In our school system the SRO (cop) reviews all police reports in town (granted a small town), they look for issues with kids in the school but also the parents, relatives, etc. Then that information is shared at the Monday AM meeting so all the principals and guidance counselors know. Then the teacher is told. And all work to keep an idea on the kid to see if there are any behavior changes that anyone notices. And make no mistake- I dont think it's all effective, but as they say, if it helps 1 kid or stops 1 nad event then it was worth it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal