VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Build Threads

2021 Ram 3500 Crewcab

<< < (2/15) > >>

Dustoff35:
Here is a comparison of the difference in payload capacity between the Tundra and the Ram 3500.  A quick review of what payload is: Weight of driver, passengers and cargo in the cab + weight of cargo in the bed + tongue weight of trailer.

It doesn’t take much to exceed payload capacity. Manufacturers are all too eager to boast regarding towing capacity of their 1/2 ton trucks. They fail to point out that once you attach that 8,000 lb trailer with  tongue weight of 700lbs, driver and one or two pax, you have exceeded a critical limit, even with nothing in the bed of the truck.

When I was researching for an upgrade in towing, I found that most 3/4 ton trucks were better, but not by much. Most were less than 2000lb payload.

Atkinsmatt:
Too bad more folks don't read those.

stlaser:

--- Quote from: Dustoff35 on April 13, 2023, 05:50:43 AM ---Many pickup owners are unaware of payload capacity and exceed it, placing their family and others at risk.

--- End quote ---

I’m aware  :wink:

I’m also aware of engineered safety factors built in to those numbers. The bigger issue in all of that knowing you’re stepping into a grey area and when driving error to the side of caution always. I’d recon with todays advanced trucks and systems (Jake brake) it’s much safer than doing it 30 years ago.

Dustoff35:
You are correct, a safety margin above the listed spec is likely there. But how much? What is the failure mode? Is it reduced service life or potential catastrophic component failure? Many of the engineering safety factors are meant to be transitioned into and out of fairly quickly, not a standard operating procedure.

I do know that if you are involved in an accident and you are operating outside of the listed performance specifications, your insurance may not pay, or represent you if there is a lawsuit.

My oldest daughter worked as a paralegal at a Chicago law firm that specializes in insurance while she was at Loyola School of law. Discussions with her regarding this situation made me re-evaluate.

It’s nice when you can learn from your kids. Perhaps I did something right.

stlaser:
Copy on the legal. As far as components in reference to ford, & dodge is completely different as 3/4 tons run that independent rear now so we’re both right. However, on the fords it’s same drive train unless you go to Dually then different rear and adapters up front plus 2 extra tires. Pretty sure it’s same chassis too. Only difference is suspension which can be addressed (mine is bagged).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version