Hello Guest

Author Topic: Laptop GPS  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Laptop GPS
« on: February 11, 2019, 10:11:48 AM »
I thought I'd put this subject here in this neglected segment of our otherwise active website.

So in kitting out the Suburban for the upcoming trip to distant patches of rock and dirt I will obviously be using a GPS quite a bit

I have many options here

1. I could buy an indash GPS/audio unit, but I can also anticipate limitations and a price tag over $1,000

2. I could buy an adaptive indash audio unit which connects to my phone and thus displays a map display and would offer navigation. However that system depends on the phone's ability to communicate with cell towers, and those simply will not exist in some of the locations we plan to drive to

3. I could mount a stand alone Garmin, magellan or Tom-Tom system on the dash and literally drive on. That could work virtually anywhere but those lack topo information so for the drive up and over the divide, 15 miles north of nowhere, it would offer little if anything

4. Which brings me to the system I am contemplating. I thought about mounting a mid sized laptop on a stalk in the cab, much the same as in police cars. Then add the GPS processor/antenna, and flush the hard drive with road and topo maps to my hearts content. I would also have MS Office and the ability to fetch the interweb to find out which Dave is screwin' with my website at the moment.

Leaning at the moment toward option numba quatro, The Delorme systems come to mind. A do it all system, they also garner some good negative comments along with their sizeable capability.

So I'm wonderin' which system should I equip "Raven 8" with?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Laptop GPS
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 11:10:34 AM »
Why spend all that money on some additional electronics when you can either get a garmin unit that is about the size of a smart phone and has topo maps.....or down load an app for your phone that has topo maps that can be used offline?

When i went touring canada, i changed my data package to unlimited with also gave me international usage.  My phone was my gps that was placed on the dash......and it did show back roads in BFE maine when i took a wrong turn??????
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 12:37:05 PM »
I used to use "MS Streets n Maps" on a laptop before our smart phones took over.

Used a simple USB antenna and worked awesome. Showed much more than just a driving GPS.

I read in some forums many still like them as you have a larger screen and a full laptop that is easy to see.

I made a simple post that bolted to the front seat bolt on the pass side and hung over the center.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 12:39:17 PM »
I agree with Nate Chief. Use your phone (or ipad), download maps.

Prime example childhood friend and newly wed wife drove to Tierra del Fuego/Ushuaia (I think they’re the same place). They were on the road almost two years, and ultimately ended up relying on a phone as their GPS, simply just downloaded maps sections for the locations they were headed, and off the went.

One resource I'm sure many here know about is iOverlander, kind of a overland accommodation thing. App for the phone and of course their website to peruse before punching out.

Here is a googlemaps offline option:

https://www.cultofmac.com/414627/how-to-save-offline-maps-with-google-maps-for-iphone-how-to/

Another option with wide variety of usage, seems like a great option really. Look at this one before buying a laptop. The app on the phone costs 1.99, im sure the maps in the app also cost but Im unsure how much that could end up costing, but they have 4.99 on their website.
http://gps.motionx.com/ipad/overview
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:02:24 PM by wyorunner »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »
Well this is certainly interesting, and unexpected. I thought the laptop was the go to plan, but seems as though the smart phone is it. Well, as long as it operates in a GPS mode without the use of towers for remote locations, I guess, why not?? One thing I do like about that is the ability to just connect the thing to the onboard multi function dash mounted display and use that device's larger screen.

On thing, though. Last year Duane used the Delorme app with his device (Phone) which showed his location 24/7. I flight followed with him so that someone always had his location. I'd call him and tell him there was a ravine ahead of him or something like that because I could zoom in and look ahead and see actual overhead photos of where he was... Was nice.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:00:16 PM »
Cool options. Used just my phone this last weekend and it was OK, but I like a bigger screen when driving.

Some of us don't have the in dash, but I do have 10in Samsung andriod based that would be nice to use. Doubt it has built in GPS though.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 02:24:37 PM »
Well this is certainly interesting, and unexpected. I thought the laptop was the go to plan, but seems as though the smart phone is it. Well, as long as it operates in a GPS mode without the use of towers for remote locations, I guess, why not?? One thing I do like about that is the ability to just connect the thing to the onboard multi function dash mounted display and use that device's larger screen.

On thing, though. Last year Duane used the Delorme app with his device (Phone) which showed his location 24/7. I flight followed with him so that someone always had his location. I'd call him and tell him there was a ravine ahead of him or something like that because I could zoom in and look ahead and see actual overhead photos of where he was... Was nice.

I agree will all of the above that Nate, Wyo,  but the phone limits on the size of what can be seen, for most of my off network travels I have been using LeadNav app on an Ipad just much easier to see.   There are several good ones(apps), some free some you have to buy and then you will have to down load the maps for areas you think you will go when you are off network, if you go the ipad route buy a REALLY GOOD mount so it dose not fall off all the time.

Laptops are so 90's

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 02:33:36 PM »
Hey, I have 3 Acers that work great, wife bought an apple and a chromebook for the kids.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
I do believe there is aftermarket support for IPAD mounts for your suv.   Just mount that in place, larger screen, multiple other uses, has its own data plan, can grab and go for a hike, can sink with your current  iPhone,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 02:40:35 PM »
I do believe there is aftermarket support for IPAD mounts for your suv.   Just mount that in place, larger screen, multiple other uses, has its own data plan, can grab and go for a hike, can sink with your current  iPhone,

Like this
Premium Seat Bolt Car Mount Vehicle Holder for Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 S4 A E S9 8 S7 Plus Note 9 8 Apple iPad Mini iPhone X 8 7 6 Plus / LG G7 V35 Q8 (5-8") Phones or Tablets w/ Vibration-Free Cradle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008L3JEQY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_D-CyCb894DMVJ

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »
Hey, I have 3 Acers that work great, wife bought an apple and a chromebook for the kids.

again laptops are so 90's

and this is Don how long do you think a laptop would last before he used it as a spacer or hammer of some type!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
Another option if you want the larger screen is there are apps to mirror your iPhone display to an iPad. Start your chosen gps app on the iPhone, and mirror it to the iPad. Like the others have said, just download your needed regions while on Wi-Fi and you’ll be golden. It will also keep your electronics to a lower number and adapters to a minimum.  And it’s not like the pre rangers wont have an iPad you can use.
Last time I used an iPad for navigation was when I was with NATO driving around Europe in 02.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 03:29:03 PM »
I would just use your phone and have one of the pre-rangers navigate for you.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 03:34:40 PM »
I used to use google maps on my phone. Just download as many regions as you want, pre trip. Works off-line just on GPS. Bad part is that they expire after 3 months (I think it's 3).

So now I have OnX app for my phone. It has to be the best GPS hunting app I've seen. Same thing...download areas that you know won't have cell service.
Not sure which apps, or Garmen type units, have the nationwide maps already embedded, if any. no experience with traveling the country.

For the hunters/outdoorsman on here, the OnX has game units, BLM , parks, landowner tax info w/boundaries (property lines) great topos, weather, etc.....the Elite, nationwide subscription is 100 bucks a year fyi....and they offer Mil discounts.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 03:40:55 PM »
Good info. Thanks Ken!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:17 PM »
This is good, and I have an I-pad that I recently deactivated. I had it down at the farm on a seperate plan to do the web thing whilst remote. I think that and a mount something like Dave suggested might be a good alternative.

One reason for the laptop, was to serve as a laptop for entering information in the daily log or write on this site. I also like to keep medical information at the ready along with some other handy programs/apps.

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 10:40:28 PM »
Like to see what you get. I have an older RCA running windows and the newer Samsung Andriod.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 07:20:42 AM »
It’s been covered but the god in your phone works with or without data.
Maps lack but if you have some preloaded you’re golden.

Don’t waste your money. Unless you’re after a handheld gps which I would then say go garmin hands down.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 10:14:27 AM »
I would use your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect either an iPad or Android tablet to it. The youngen's could also attach to it if they have devices.

For trucking we almost exclusively use Ram mounts for in cab tablets. Rugged and lots of options.
https://www.rammount.com/

I have several Independent Contract truckers that use Delorme but mostly for the Heavy Class 8 routing. Not applicable to you and very expensive for what you get.

ALK Co Pilot is very popular. https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/

New guys on the block that are very good is here.com. They have both Android or iOS apps.
https://wego.here.com/united-states/cincinnati/city-town-village/cincinnati--840dngym-422178d4722a460b8084b4f15e2464eb?map=39.10661,-84.50455,12,traffic&searchMode=1&msg=Cincinnati

I have a Tom Tom that I never use. Just use my phone.
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »
I would use your phone as a WiFi hotspot and connect either an iPad or Android tablet to it. The youngen's could also attach to it if they have devices.

For trucking we almost exclusively use Ram mounts for in cab tablets. Rugged and lots of options.
https://www.rammount.com/

I have several Independent Contract truckers that use Delorme but mostly for the Heavy Class 8 routing. Not applicable to you and very expensive for what you get.

ALK Co Pilot is very popular. https://copilotgps.com/en-gb/

New guys on the block that are very good is here.com. They have both Android or iOS apps.
https://wego.here.com/united-states/cincinnati/city-town-village/cincinnati--840dngym-422178d4722a460b8084b4f15e2464eb?map=39.10661,-84.50455,12,traffic&searchMode=1&msg=Cincinnati

I have a Tom Tom that I never use. Just use my phone.

Good Reference Mike

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 09:15:48 PM »
I second the RAM mounts. We use them.in the tractors for our phones and I pad. Pricey but worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 03:20:16 AM »
Another good app is Avenza Maps. I can read any geo.pdf map, and you can download all the national geo survey maps for free. The free version of the app limits the number of maps you can download. If you are going to any offroad parks, check out carto trax (https://www.cartotracks.com/). This a friend's company that does mapping for a great number of off road trails for use in the Avenza app.
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2019, 07:35:13 AM »
Don, the iPad Pro has a really nice keyboard cover that works well.  I hardly ever take my work laptop when traveling anymore..

If you don’t want to drop the coin on a new iPad , I have an apple bluetooth keyboard you can have that you can use to type to your iPad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal