Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build part 6  (Read 29859 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2019, 11:30:48 AM »
Single cylinder? Was there no dual cylinder option? For the record I’ve watched both setups work and fail. Just curious really.....
Ya, twin cyl is old school. These have fewer moving parts, and are less prone to breaking.
My luck with long hydraulic cylinders is not good. The rids are sintered iron which is incredibly strong pushin' n' pullin' but you add an ounce of side load and it splinters.

This big single is actually a much shorter stroke, relying instead on mechanical advantage, kind of like any off road vehicle has over those girly jeep things

Sorry man...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2019, 11:38:03 AM »
I second the solar charger, saves us all the time when we forget to plug the dumb thing in.

I’ll bet you could fill that trailer up with cement and it would dump, the short sides are hard to over fill from my knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »
so 2 questions:

1. did you trade the flat bed in on this one?

2. is it gravity down or is it set up to hydraulic down as well?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2019, 01:27:43 PM »
Just keep it as level side to side as possible while dumping and moving or you will tip it over. That thing goes a long ways in the air. Nice trailer, I am sure you will find its weak links however

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2019, 02:19:07 PM »
Bob, Don will CREATE the weak links.  :evil:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 03, 2019, 03:02:19 PM »
Never load up the front of the trailer and it will dump whatever you put in it. The first 2-4" of lift doesn't have any mechanical advantage on most of them...
....but they lift higher than yours,  if I looked at your picture right.  Maybe they gave your trailer more mechanical advantage in exchange for a little less lift.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 03, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »

Tate, I asked if he bought the extended warranty on the grizzly. Crickets....  :wink:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 03, 2019, 03:38:34 PM »
Never load up the front of the trailer and it will dump whatever you put in it. The first 2-4" of lift doesn't have any mechanical advantage on most of them...
....but they lift higher than yours,  if I looked at your picture right.  Maybe they gave your trailer more mechanical advantage in exchange for a little less lift.

Ken speaks from experience lifting heavy things.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 03, 2019, 03:41:39 PM »
so 2 questions:

1. did you trade the flat bed in on this one?

2. is it gravity down or is it set up to hydraulic down as well?
Trade: Yes

Gravity down? No, power up and power down

I'm already thinking about how to weld in some wedges and making it a log splitter too ;-)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 03:42:19 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 03, 2019, 03:43:46 PM »
Man, don't speak that into my life

Kelly's heroes: Man, stop with the negative vibes

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »

Tate, I asked if he bought the extended warranty on the grizzly. Crickets....  :wink:

at the time, the extended war was not available.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2019, 01:45:33 PM »
Have you tested loading the skidsteer in the trailer yet?  I want to hear how it goes.  We actually just bought a 14k dump trailer last week.  Mostly for moving around 80 loads of gravel for a new driveway.  But also thinking it can haul our bobcat.  For me the bobcat weighs 9,700 with the bucket.  So the 14k is plenty.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
Have you tested loading the skidsteer in the trailer yet?  I want to hear how it goes.  We actually just bought a 14k dump trailer last week.  Mostly for moving around 80 loads of gravel for a new driveway.  But also thinking it can haul our bobcat.  For me the bobcat weighs 9,700 with the bucket.  So the 14k is plenty.
But remember, the 14K includes the weight of the trailer which I'd bet is 45---low five-thousands. So at 5K for the trailer weight you'd have 9K of total weight you could carry...But you probably knew that.
With my 16K trailer and a 11,500 Skid steer, I just squeaked by within 200 lab (I think) of MGW

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2019, 02:18:22 PM »
And we just pulled a trailer with 5.4 tons of dense grade gravel about 20 miles. Going up one hill starting at a stop light my truck was starting to spin the rear tires below 25 mph. We pulled at 70mph on the highway just fine. I did notice some bouncing that would continue for several follow on's, so I think I'm going to purchase those wedge devices that connect the running leaf pack to the overload spring.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:00 PM »
And we just pulled a trailer with 5.4 tons of dense grade gravel about 20 miles. Going up one hill starting at a stop light my truck was starting to spin the rear tires below 25 mph. We pulled at 70mph on the highway just fine. I did notice some bouncing that would continue for several follow on's, so I think I'm going to purchase those wedge devices that connect the running leaf pack to the overload spring.

Wouldn’t a load leveling hitch be a better solution or convert it to gn.....  :wink:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2019, 02:38:33 PM »

Wouldn’t a load leveling hitch be a better solution or convert it to gn.....  :wink:
Nope
I just hate those LL hitches
Using a pry-bar to lever up two scary square bar steel springs and all that junk hanging off the rear of the truck, then on top of all that they are ball hitches whereas I use a pintle. I like to rig and go, then dump the trailer off to use vehicle like a car afterward.

Have you ever heard of these things I was talking about?

Forces your truck to act loaded the whole time they are engaged.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2019, 03:12:18 PM »
But remember, the 14K includes the weight of the trailer which I'd bet is 45---low five-thousands. So at 5K for the trailer weight you'd have 9K of total weight you could carry...But you probably knew that.
With my 16K trailer and a 11,500 Skid steer, I just squeaked by within 200 lab (I think) of MGW

Our 14k GVWR trailer is rated at 10,400 lbs of cargo.  It weighs 3,600 lbs.  So I have 700 lbs extra capacity if needed for a set of forks or whatever.  Your 16k trailer would be heavier, and your numbers confirm it weighs 4,300 lbs.  Makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:50:53 PM by Nate »

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2019, 03:39:29 PM »

Nope
I just hate those LL hitches
Using a pry-bar to lever up two scary square bar steel springs and all that junk hanging off the rear of the truck, then on top of all that they are ball hitches whereas I use a pintle. I like to rig and go, then dump the trailer off to use vehicle like a car afterward.

Have you ever heard of these things I was talking about?

Forces your truck to act loaded the whole time they are engaged.

Well, we used load leveling hitches on 16k bumper pulls on steel hauling trailers prior to wising up and going gn only on pick em up trucks. I’ve never used or witnessed anyone using those fancy wedges.

I will agree with one thing you said though. Lots of junk hanging off the rear end of the truck isn’t the best bet..... ahem, ahem, 16k ahem, bumper ahem, trailer ahem, H must be near I’m getting allergic to sum thing

Sorry, about that last part something caught in my throat!  :tongue:

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2019, 03:51:22 PM »
Shawn, you always this scared in real life? just curious. :P
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
You guys are forgetting to subtract the pin weight. 1600 off the Gross trailer weight.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »
Shawn, you always this scared in real life? just curious. :P

I’m not the one who carry’s a hammer daily and wears an H bumper sticker to keep mean liberals at bay.....  :knucklehead:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2019, 05:40:35 PM »
^^^ I'm not exactly sure what just happened

In summary, I can tow at 16K Ok, but it does bounce when hitting a divot in the road for a couple of cycles. I have seen these load carrying wedges do wonders for that. They connect the standard spring pack directly to the overload spring at the bottom of the pack without having the spring pack flex that far. Basically you're just increasing the spring rate of the pack a ton without changing its shape. That way the spring acts like it is totally loaded while at normal resting height, so steering, and headlights, and hopefully, shocks all work at a "normal" height.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmOxnzzZrU0

I'll order a set right now and report on what happens. I think they could be useful to a lot of the folks visiting this forum

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2019, 06:19:18 PM »
Don allow me to go on the record.  Just get firestone ride rite and be done with it. Even my dually did that with 4000lbs of Pin weight and cargo. Bags were the answer. 55lbs and it was like it was on rails

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2019, 07:09:20 PM »
I thought he already had bags on the dmax?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2019, 07:34:55 PM »

In summary, I can tow at 16K Ok, but it does bounce when hitting a divot in the road for a couple of cycles. I have seen these load carrying wedges do wonders for that. They connect the standard spring pack directly to the overload spring at the bottom of the pack without having the spring pack flex that far. Basically you're just increasing the spring rate of the pack a ton without changing its shape. That way the spring acts like it is totally loaded while at normal resting height, so steering, and headlights, and hopefully, shocks all work at a "normal" height.

I'll order a set right now and report on what happens. I think they could be useful to a lot of the folks visiting this forum

I’m curious how they ride w/o a load....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2019, 07:54:18 PM »
Don allow me to go on the record.  Just get firestone ride rite and be done with it. Even my dually did that with 4000lbs of Pin weight and cargo. Bags were the answer. 55lbs and it was like it was on rails

I have bags on it...

And they make all the difference. But that cycling is really moderated from what I saw with those spring things

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2019, 07:57:37 PM »

I’m curious how they ride w/o a load....
Well, that's the thing. When not carrying, you need to disengage them to make the smooth riding primary spring pack ride independently. Otherwise I Imagine the truck would ride like a dump truck.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2019, 08:38:01 PM »
You guys are forgetting to subtract the pin weight. 1600 off the Gross trailer weight.

All this talk of numbers just seems like a suggestion to me

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2019, 09:29:59 PM »
Torklift is a customer of mine at work. Doubt I could get anything special outta them though.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 11, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
Torklift is a customer of mine at work. Doubt I could get anything special outta them though.

I have this, thanks for suggesting...

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 11, 2019, 10:27:16 AM »
Get the stainless steel ones! I have the standard steel ones om my truck and they rust after a few years, but the work very well with my heavy 5th wheel and no bags.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:04 AM »
Get the stainless steel ones! I have the standard steel ones om my truck and they rust after a few years, but the work very well with my heavy 5th wheel and no bags.
Too late, I already ordered the set, part number 7310...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2019, 11:12:00 AM »

did you get a 5th wheel after your Alaska/slide in camper trip?

Offline kampfitt

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2019, 02:42:54 PM »
Yeah we found a 2010 Carriage Cameo 32FWS that was like new and couldn't pass it up! I'm going to do a write up next summer when I do solar on it and get it all set for boondocking.
08 EX-Cab D-Max 4X4 45 gal. aux tank Pull-Right Super Glide 5th hitch, Prvt. Pilot ,NRA Life Member , Michigan CPL Holder , T-Bird II Experimental Aircraft Builder, Electrician Flint Truck Asm.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 03, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
So I had a couple transmissions hiccups as I noted in a separate thread:

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=4138.0

It seems to have seemed to be severe, although, now that I'm through the "Repair" the thing actually seems to be OK. I'd say the chapter on that is not closed yet, as we will only really know when and if the transmission returns to normal following the parts and fluid replacement I just did.

So the drain plug and fluid looked pretty normal in my view:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 03, 2019, 08:29:12 AM »
The deep PPE pan retains quite a bit of fluid after draining (Note to self) but you will note nothing strange like clutch or band parts floating about. And the fluid smelled completely normal (As in no burned smell)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 03, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »
The bottom of the valve body seemed normal as well. A wipe down with a white cloth produced next to nothing. The deep sump Allison filter was normal as well, although when I pulled it out, the seal remained lodged in the mounting hole. Makes me wonder if it had worked loose and was sucking some air up there???

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 03, 2019, 08:35:18 AM »
I removed the combination pressure/temp sensor and again noted nothing abnormal, and allowed a bunch more fluid to drain all over me and the floor!

This cost me $51 with shipping off of Ebay so I consider it a good investment in my trouble-shooting logic.

When Troy pulled the codes twice, at the top of the list was transmission fluid over temp along with voltage high and voltage low alerts. So we were thinking the temp sensor may be the culprit causing the strange transmission behavior.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 03, 2019, 08:36:17 AM »
The new one os the OEM AC-Delco part

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 03, 2019, 08:37:05 AM »
A few screws later that was torqued back into place

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2019, 08:38:18 AM »
I thoroughly cleaned the pan with brake cleaner, then soap and water, then gave it a fresh coat of wrinkle black paint

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2019, 08:39:33 AM »
I could have reused the old gasket, as it is made to be reused many times, however I opted to zero-time the rubber and start fresh

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2019, 08:43:27 AM »
I installed both interior and exterior filters, factory Allison pieces onto the transmission and reinstalled that heavy pan.

BTW, Allison makes a deep pan filter which is in this box

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 03, 2019, 08:46:52 AM »
With that I poured nearly three gallons of fresh synthetic fluid and called this job done.

I noticed the transmission has that initial bite that it had before. When I would cold start in the garage then shift into reverse it would often bark the tires. The engine is at a slightly higher idle and the converter wants to hold that power. It did that giving me a pretty positive, normal, engagement and acts completely normal. I have a bit of a test drive this morning and today to check it out further. I do hope that this chapter is in the rear view mirror!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2019, 09:47:35 AM »
I installed both interior and exterior filters, factory Allison pieces onto the transmission and reinstalled that heavy pan.

did/do you have the filter lock? i just got the kodiak pan for mine (added 3 quarts but is a factory allison pan)

wasn’t sure if your pan came with it or not. maybe that semi contributed to filter sort of coming dislodged (if what i read was correct)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2019, 10:06:30 AM »

did/do you have the filter lock? i just got the kodiak pan for mine (added 3 quarts but is a factory allison pan)

wasn’t sure if your pan came with it or not. maybe that semi contributed to filter sort of coming dislodged (if what i read was correct)
I do not have any sort of filter lock.

The PPE pan has some structure in its bottom which hold the filter in place, or at least prevent it from falling out of the hole in the case.

I am not saying the filter became out of the hole, and maybe not even that it had been separating, only that the seal remained in the hole when I pulled it out. That, alone made me question if it had been "loose" on the filter neck

But, thinking about it, that seems ridiculous.

I'm really thinking that the fact that the trans was 2 quarts low on fluid and that the temp sensor had likely failed and is now replaced that the thing will return to normal operation...I sure hope it does!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:07:26 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 03, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »
So, I wanted to do a bit of catching up on parts and projects that stacked up some, so the first was a cool little trick I tried with some very powerful Neodymium magnets.

These things are no joke. I get mine from K&J Magnetics and I'm sure that while coming through the mail, they have wiped the hard drives of every computer they passed by. Seriously, I would almost say they are dangerous. Should these two get together, the only way you can get them unstuck is to slide them until they are just touching a bit then yank and hope for the best.

You have seen me use them to store wrenches, sockets and the like in the Suburban, so I decided to install more of them into the truck

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 03, 2019, 05:36:10 PM »
I smear some RTV onto one side, then smush them onto the surface I want to keep them on. I add a bit of tape over the top to hold it all in place while drying and also to act as a wear/scuff pad to protect whatever is going on top.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2019, 05:38:42 PM »
This group secures my backup pistol, a 9mm, a spare mag for the Glock 19 and the spline socket to fit my lug nuts

I have long kept my various keys stowed where I can always find them on another strip magnet

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 03, 2019, 05:40:55 PM »
Next, I installed those torque-lift gizmos. These cool little things are the devices that engage the upper and lower spring leaves so that you have your full suspension well before any droop.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal