Hello Guest

Author Topic: M715.9  (Read 136206 times)

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
M715.9
« on: December 11, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
so, heres the kaiser we are currently in the process of repowering..
hope to have it drivable by spring, but who knows when it'll actually be done. hahah

running driving all original '67 kaiser and an entire spare frame and axles

and her soon to be transplanted heart.. in the form she showed up to the house

along with the 47RH i picked up on Long Island while i was in the city doing a job..

shackle reverse mid-process

front spring hangers welded under the frame..

and sleeves welded in the frame

rear spring hanger plates

and spring hangers mocked up
rear spring hangers from a K3500 van with CUCV springs and axles (front kingpin dana 60 and FF 14 bolt rear with detroit and 4.56s) no pics of them right now..

alittle purple power never hurt no one..

when i washed the engine.. it was already painted like this!

just kidding.. it was filty. and those valve covers didn't stand a chance against aircraft paint remover..

my take on the supply and return lines for the heater core.. i thought it was kinda cool looking.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: M715.9
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
trans is painted cummins beige as well. still in search of a 23 spline NP 205 with adapter and coupler.

the bodywork has all been dustless blasted and primed. don't know how i ended up with no pictures from that process..

body is immaculate minus the floor of the cab. hunting club before previous owner had carpet in the cab, so its rusted pretty bad. fortunately a FSJ either cherokee or wagoneer is the same floor pan, just a tad longer than the kaiser. so picking up a solid 76 wagoneer shell for the floor and roof (may make a hard bikini top for it) next week hopefully

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 03:29:32 PM »
You didn't transpose that right, 23 spline not 32 because i have 1350 and 1410 32 spline output yokes.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
You didn't transpose that right, 23 spline not 32 because i have 1350 and 1410 32 spline output yokes.

sorry.. should have been more specific. 23 spline input shaft to the t case. they are male to male, and the trans has a 23 spline output with a female to female spline coupler between the two male shafts

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2015, 03:40:40 PM »
You're brand new here, what, 1 day old and already have two project trucks going!

WHOA

I can just imagine what your contributions will look like in a year.

Guess I had better go buy a bigger web site!

Welcome to the fray!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2015, 03:44:48 PM »

sorry.. should have been more specific. 23 spline input shaft to the t case. they are male to male, and the trans has a 23 spline output with a female to female spline coupler between the two male shafts

Dang, thought I could help. Good lookin setup there, I'm definitely a fan of the Kaiser, (trucks that is).

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2015, 03:48:49 PM »
I'm banning myself- I deleted your sign-up yesterday cause your IP address was from Africa, Carribien and/or Middle East............sorry........glad you resigned-up!  Going to my corner now and putting on my pointy cap!  :(
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2015, 03:51:10 PM »
Wow, self banning now!

What's next?

Hari-Kari?

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 04:02:59 PM »
You're brand new here, what, 1 day old and already have two project trucks going!

WHOA

I can just imagine what your contributions will look like in a year.

Guess I had better go buy a bigger web site!

Welcome to the fray!

they've been going on for a while (the dodge has at least, kaiser has just gotten under way. hahah)

I'm banning myself- I deleted your sign-up yesterday cause your IP address was from Africa, Carribien and/or Middle East............sorry........glad you resigned-up!  Going to my corner now and putting on my pointy cap!  :(

no worries, ida blocked me as well coming in from africa/middle east (too soon..?) haha just glad i was granted asylum

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
Many who have done this use a OEM Dodge 4x4 engine mount cross-member. It fits very well....keep in mind that picture is with a spring over.

Wish we were closer, I probably have a half dozen of those transfer cases in stock somewhere in the barn LoL

Looks like a fun project to watch...

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Many who have done this use a OEM Dodge 4x4 engine mount cross-member. It fits very well....keep in mind that picture is with a spring over.

Wish we were closer, I probably have a half dozen of those transfer cases in stock somewhere in the barn LoL

That barn of yours is more like a museum!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2015, 04:29:52 PM »

so you're tellin me that that is an unmodified 4x4 dodge crossmember? nothing else needed, apart from 1st gen motor mounts?

we are also doing a SOA as well, but not quite as high on the lift.

and you have a couple of those cases..?! if you're not sky high on prices, I've looked up shipping on them and they're about $150.. if you have the complete set (all 3 pieces) id be happy to liberate one from you..  ;D

OldKooT

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2015, 04:30:08 PM »
We were going to clean the barn out.... but after looking at the project we decided maybe we will add on a 20x30' section instead. That seems simpler....

OldKooT

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2015, 04:33:18 PM »
Well tell you what.... give me a call, so happens I am possibly shipping a Dana 60 yr way anyway.

Check you pvt messages for my #

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 08:19:15 AM »
this is what I've come up with, design wise, if the late 80s dodge 4x4 doesn't work out. and/or I'm unable to locate some 1st gen cummins motor mounts..
we currently have 2nd gen mounts on the engine..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
That design type keeps showing up. I guess the early mounts are the way to go for most.

Never seen with a slot for drop in though, hmmm.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 09:07:41 PM »
We were going to clean the barn out.... but after looking at the project we decided maybe we will add on a 20x30' section instead. That seems simpler....

Sure, then you can buy more stuff!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2015, 09:57:23 PM »
That design type keeps showing up. I guess the early mounts are the way to go for most.

Never seen with a slot for drop in though, hmmm.

it really depends on when/what I find. I currently have 2nd gen mounts. but I think is possible to find 1st gens easy. and I think the slots are like that on 2nd gen frame mounts.. unless I looked at something wrong.

I guess ill see what income up with when I get back home later this week. frame has been powder coated. picking it up either tomorrow or Friday. will have some pics up soon

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2015, 11:45:58 PM »
I have a set of both, but sure Norm has enough for us all.

I was told by a fabricator they hold and dampen better. (Rob Bonny)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 08:46:49 AM »
the 1st gens hold up/dampen better..? if that's the case.. 'Norm..?!'

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 05:40:00 PM »
small update
i doubt the video works. but we got it running (again) this time after adjusting the pump timing to 15.5* and getting a bolt put in the top of the P Pump

mocked up some motor mounts. going to grind off just a small portion of the powder coating and weld those suckers in place. figured it'd be just as easy to do that instead of making mounting plates and through bolting everything..

cut them out of 3/8" plate, which i think should be just fine. hope to have them drilled and welded up in the next day or two..

man.. she fits. but just barely!

biggest hurdle I've seen now that the front has been mocked up is how to get water from the radiator to the water pump. the AC compressor is directly in the way. best thing i can think of so far without actually measuring is to have the outlet from the radiator go sideways through the radiator core support and route it around the air compressor, OR straight down and go under the air compressor..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
Yikes, that is a tight fit!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 06:28:56 PM »
yea.. she's snug. thats for sure. hahah. we still have to drop the back of the engine down just a bit, so that should give us some more clearance between the trans and trans tunnel. but front to back, i think its going to be just fine. its almost as if it was made for it.. minus the fact that we will have to use electric pusher fans instead of a mechanical puller. since my dad doesn't want a huge jacked up kaiser, we are trying to keep it as low as possible, which mean pushing the engine up in the bay as far as possible to clear the dana 60 and springs and crossover steering. (next hurdle)

OldKooT

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 07:22:01 PM »
That does look a bit snug. Makes me wonder how I will shoehorn a 6bt into my M37...  time will tell.

Given that frame design, I see no issues with the 2nd gen mounts. Other than the possibility of frame spread under the weight.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 07:42:23 PM »
the 2nd gen mounts are exactly 4" wide, so i may end up doing a cross frame tie in from one to the other, under the oil pan. making them bolt up to remove if needed access to the oilman. and I've seen 2-3 other builds of kaisers and old dodge crew cabs that have the same mount design and no cross frame tie in. i hope I'm not speaking too soon, but it seems as if it'll be more than enough. hahah

I'm sure you'll figure out a way for that 6bt in an M37.. and if not you can always send that bad boy east. hahah

Offline Dmaxlovr

• Registered
  • Steve
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2016, 09:35:42 PM »
Be cool to see that old Gladiator run again! Good luck with the CPR...Awesome project. :)

OldKooT

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2016, 07:32:57 AM »
Given your Father's plans for the truck, I am sure you could get away with no frame tie in between the mounts. That OEM Kaiser frame isn't any more prone to noodle like behavior than a OEM Dodge frame that's for sure.

Did you check to make sure you have room for your brake booster or hydro-vac or whatever you intend to run?

I'd think steering should be simple.... just use a J series pickup power box and build your crossover steering. I seem to remember that's a bolt in regarding the box.

The J series/wago stuff in latter models had a different core support. It allowed a wider radiator and I "think" it actually positioned it further forward.... might be worth researching this... The M715 Zone web site should be a good place to check this out.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 09:13:35 PM »
its getting closer..

engine is "in its place" in the frame relative to the body and core support, motor mounts are cut out and almost completely cleaned up from the plasma. frame needs to be cleaned up and mounts welded on. getting the axles media blasted tmrw, so they should be painted and mounted by the weekend, maybe the first of the week. shooting for it to being a rolling chassis by next week

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 10:18:38 PM »
I like it!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 10:19:00 PM »
No, I REALLY like it!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2016, 12:11:21 AM »
Wish that picture was a little clearer but great work.

I had my 1st and 2nd mounts reversed. 1st are flat, 2nd are round.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2016, 01:42:50 AM »
I'm hoping to get some decent ones of the engine mounts all welded up and the axles once they get cleaned and painted. once it's able to be rolled around, I'm going to push/pull it outside for some rolling chassi glamor shots. hahah. then, it's in to replacing the floor pans in the cab, undercoating and heat insulating ('boom mat' potentially). that's really all the body work that is needed on this truck. to be a '67, it's astonishingly straight and rust free.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »
little glass blasting fun..

Dana 60

nice and fresh

corporate 14 bolt

motor mounts mocked up..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2016, 08:36:28 PM »
Now that is some hose there. Can you breath?? Can't be good for the lungs right on that.

Mounts look good. Will you weld or bolt them on?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2016, 08:42:19 PM »
that's not me. hahah. dude worked for 25-30 years at Goodyear and smokes like a freight train. I think the glass may be helping his health lol. and the mounts will be welded on. just cleaning off just enough powder coating to weld up, clean up nicely, prime and paint the crap out of it with gloss black to match the coating.

guess I figured they would be easier and possibly stronger welded on and than bolted on.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2016, 11:24:11 AM »
I was just going to give you crap about media blasting w/ no gloves or respirator. Meh, mesothelioma is nothin'! Check out the awesome glass beads I injected under my skin!

Good lookin' axles there, what's the vintage on the corp 14?

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2016, 08:02:57 PM »
vintage..? its a complete set of axles from an '86 CUCV truck with the 6.2 detroit and TH400 tranny.

4.56 gears. has a detroit locker in it as well.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »
spring hangers are painted and bolted in place. axles, springs and spring perches are all painted. (rear perches are not to be welded in place until transfer case and drive shafts are in place to set angles). mounts will be tacked in place tmrw, engine removed and fully welded. along with (hopefully) axles put under the truck. all that's really left to fab is the transmission support and t case cross member..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2016, 07:22:25 PM »
drivers side engine mount

passenger side engine mount

front position rear spring hanger (passenger side)

rear position rear spring hanger (passenger side)

oil pan clearance (way more than i expected)

spring deflection (factory CUCV springs.. anyone know the rating on these??)

overall shot of today

OldKooT

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2016, 08:03:50 AM »
Those OEM springs should be 1400lbs capacity.

It looks good so far, keep up the good work.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2016, 08:25:35 AM »
think those springs will work for this build..? or should i try and track down a set of 1st gen cummins springs? (both are 48" bolt to bolt)

just one mechanical piece short of having the drive train.. hahah

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2016, 07:35:02 PM »
1975 wagoneer body. nearly rust free. identical floorpan and firewall as the kaiser. best i can figure is the military took a J20 pickup truck and 'modified' it to be an M715, so the kaiser-specific stuff will get transported over to the almost flawless wagoneer tub (basically the fold down windshield and cab back with soft top mounts)

pressure washed and degreased the whole thing

rockers are rock solid inside and out. underside still had undercoating on it.
really the worst part of the whole thing.. it all only needs a wire wheel and lizard skin/truck bed liner and rust preventer.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2016, 09:31:22 PM »
I would venture to guess that the civilian market took the military product and modified it to their needs.....
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2016, 10:19:07 PM »
To bad you cutting that old thing up, they are getting rare too.

Good, you got the parts you need,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2016, 07:24:33 AM »
I would venture to guess that the civilian market took the military product and modified it to their needs.....

i would have said the sam thing, except there are only 'removal of' pieces from jeep and not 'additions to'. the a pillar has been whacked off the civilian models to add the flat dash replacement, hinges and flat windshield. and where the fender wells bolt in the jeep there is a vertical 1" thick piece of folded body that protrudes from the firewall with 2 nutserts, they have been crudely bent over and caulked to allow for the larger wheel well to bolt directly to the firewall. they are slight differences, but it really looks like a J20 with a hacked windshield and bent body folds on the firewire to mash those 37s in there. hahah

and the more we looked at it the more we thought 'man.. too bad we aren't building a waggy, this one would be perfect'
the jeep guy we get lots of parts from bought it from a military guy who had the entire drive train rebuilt, POR15 frame, ARB lockers front and rear in the 44s, everything. and decided to take it apart to fix the body. got in over his head, decided to move, and sold it..

i think the plan of attack is to cut the back cab portion and the flat dash/windshield hinges off the M715, but the waggy floor 1-2" longer in the rear than the kaiser, fold up 90* to help with some rust repair that will be cut out of the vertical back portion of the cab, slip it over the door jambs and be on our merry way..

more posts to come soon I'm hoping..

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2016, 08:21:58 PM »
alittle update.

got the wagoneer body cut up, M715 specific pieces off (dash and rear cab) mocked up and welded on

and all primed up

mocking up the intercooler

don't think it looks too bad. my dad is getting the radiator built this week (hopefully) which will make it able to have the core support put on, plumbed and let us run the engine with the correct air and water until it reaches operating temps to check for leaks and such.

4" lift springs to give me enough arch to clear the crossover steering

still waiting on Norm (ha hemm) for the last piece of drivetrain. hahah. build trans support and tcase brace to be able to set driveline angles (which i believe are 3* opposing..?) and weld up rear spring perches. then, body back on i suppose and starting what little wiring is on it (I'm hoping) hahah

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2016, 12:39:09 AM »
Very nice work.

You going to add a cross member under the motor mounts? From the end that frame looks thin and would want the 12v to twist it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2016, 03:04:10 AM »
Coming along nicely.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2016, 08:13:37 AM »
Great project.  Looking forward to seeing it on the road.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2016, 08:19:43 AM »
Very nice work.

You going to add a cross member under the motor mounts? From the end that frame looks thin and would want the 12v to twist it.

we've considered a crossmember and have plenty of room to make one out of 4" channel, but that frame is deceivingly thin. (much thicker than it looks.. not looks heavy duty and really just a tin can) it's fully boxed with what looks to be 2 channel frames opposing each other that are 1/8" full. we may just do one and be sure though. it'll be a bolt in piece either way. want to have easy access to the oil pan for maintenance if required 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal