Hello Guest

Author Topic: Question about 3/4 ton v 1 ton springs  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Question about 3/4 ton v 1 ton springs
« on: July 10, 2017, 10:15:47 AM »
So I'm looking at trucks (want a Duramax) and while I usually will price them at GMC.COM so I can make them just the way I want, I also look at what dealers have already in stock as that may be a cheaper way to get one if a dealer has one they cant move or whatever. Some times they have what I want, some times they don't. So I was comparing what I would need to buy if I wanted to add (say) the plow package to a truck that didn't have it (I also look at this because it bugs me I cant get a sliding rear window with the plow package unless I get a Denali which I don't want to pay for). And I also thought okay....what if I find a 3/4 ton that has everything I needed but I wanted to upgrade it to a 1 ton what would that entail....so I was comparing part numbers at gmpartsonline.com and other sites and was surprised to see there were no differences between the rear springs in the 3/4 ton and the 1 ton. Do I have that right? I knew the driveline was the same but I figured the springs would be different for the 3500 v. the 2500 but the front torsion bars and the rear springs seem to be the exact same ones? Am I missing something? 

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Question about 3/4 ton v 1 ton springs
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
I looked into this as well

I wasn't seeing a lot of difference between a diesel 2500 vs a 3500

The 3500 has the dual rear wheel option, but same suspension, same transmission, same engine...

Not completely sure but I believe the brakes are the same as well. I think with respect to the 3500, they just give it higher gwt/towing numbers but other than a rebadging it's the same truck. So GM figures the 1 ton sales market is of a given percentage of the HD truck sales. They know that accepting a heavier work/duty cycle that could lead to more component failures. So the number crunchers do their homework and figure out that at a given price point the extra component failures still fits their profit model, and they're off to the races...

If you look at the HMMV trailer. There is a medium duty and a heavy duty version. The heavy trailer caries much, much more than the light HMMV unit. But the only real difference is the aluminum tag they pop rivit to the trailer at the factory. Yup, all those trailers are the exact same. Tags are changed so the end user with the lighter vehicle does not mistakenly exceed his truck's towing ability
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 11:37:05 AM »
Not sure how relevant to more modern trucks, but I know mine had an option code for HD suspension leading me to believe there is a lighter duty option for even the duramax. mine was definitely 3500 series springs on a 2500 truck, but it was an '03. I think that the newer ones are all built the same suspension wise but like Don stated, simply a dually vs. single option.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »
I was comparing SRW versions and found no difference. The last thing I noticed the DRW 3500 was the same spring as the 2500 "with increased capacity". And the front torsion bars appear the same as well.

Thanks guys....so I wasn't losing my mind! ha.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 01:28:08 PM »
Just thinking out loud here.......

Maybe heavier duty tires....

Maybe an extra helper spring or 2........

3500 i believe has a long bed option.........

Maybe different gearing.........

Maybe different programing on the different control modules. .......

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 01:31:44 PM »

These are all correct thoughts. you do have them occasionally. :rolleyes: 10 ply vs. 8 ply, gearing can be had in deeper 4.10 for tow packages, but also available on the 3/4 ton. I had a long bed '07 2500, and programming I think can be had both ways with either truck. Helper springs? not sure, but possible?? I was really just focused on the 3/4 vs 1 ton spring question to be honest.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2017, 02:21:28 PM »

Current Duramax (2500 and 3500) have basically the same body style options but no DRW on the 2500, that's only for the 3500- Just no double cab with a short bed in the 3500

2500- no DRW option
Reg Cab w/8' bed SRW
Double cab (the short 2nd door setup) with 6.5' bed or 8' bed SRW
Crew Cab (the longer 2nd door) 6.5' bed or 8' bed with SRW

Reg Cab w/8' bed SRW
Reg Cab w/8' bed DRW
Double cab (the short 2nd door setup) with 8' bed SRW
Double cab (the short 2nd door setup) with 8' bed DRW
Crew Cab (the longer 2nd door) 6.5' bed or 8' bed with SRW
Crew Cab (the longer 2nd door) w/ 8' bed with DRW

With the Duramax the only gearing option is the 3.73, the gas has the 4.10

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
Wilbur, Are you looking only new? Or a specific Duramax engine version? No DEF... etc..  :popcorn:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2017, 08:23:10 PM »
Not sure how relevant to more modern trucks, but I know mine had an option code for HD suspension leading me to believe there is a lighter duty option for even the duramax. mine was definitely 3500 series springs on a 2500 truck, but it was an '03. I think that the newer ones are all built the same suspension wise but like Don stated, simply a dually vs. single option.
There is Tate.

The 6.0 Silvy gets a different rear spring

I actually purchased a pair for SquareD, they have started to rust apart, but they were once pretty!

They are lower capacity which I read to mean: "Makes old Dodge trucks ride nicer."
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 10:51:31 PM »
I am pretty sure the duallies (LML 2011 up) got their own solid spring pack.(texasredneck would know)

I know for sure, the difference between the 2500 and 3500 srw, was the 1 ton srw has an "add a leaf" on top of the 2500 spring pack, separated by a 1" block, that has separate contact pads bolted to the side of the frame. I was going to put those pads on my 2500 until I found out that you couldn't buy the add on leafs separate....had to buy the entire 3500 spring pack at the time for like 600.00 each. Now I have air bags.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2017, 11:41:15 PM »
Wilbur, Are you looking only new? Or a specific Duramax engine version? No DEF... etc..  :popcorn:

I'm prob looking new (or close to it). I don't have the knowledge to build an older version and plus in this neck of the woods older means rusted to heck and back. I could look out west but would prefer to have a dealer as back up if I was going used (certified and the like). But who knows. Still in the investigation mode.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2017, 12:17:54 AM »
IIRC on the LML the 1 ton has an overload spring and spacer that the 3/4 ton does not have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal