Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax build part 6  (Read 29868 times)

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2019, 10:52:22 PM »
And or ditch the topper for awhile and buy a gooseneck trailer. No way I’d buy that large of a bumper pull ever again....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2019, 11:09:44 PM »
It has to be loaded just right an have really strong brakes for that weight in bumper pull

Gooseneck is a good idea.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 29, 2019, 11:11:07 PM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2019, 11:32:57 PM »
If not a small dump truck, i would second the above option as well
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2019, 01:54:25 AM »
How about going triple axle bumper pull? Other than the downside of buying 6 tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 01:55:23 AM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2019, 03:36:07 AM »
Ever use a triple axle trailer? I’ve never experienced one that didn’t eat tires routinely. Just my 2 cents......

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »
So why not get a small size dump truck and use that to pull that trailer and the kubota?  That way your not over taxing your smaller vehicles?

This option you've mentioned multiple times in the past as both a want/need for the farm.

And or ditch the topper for awhile and buy a gooseneck trailer. No way I’d buy that large of a bumper pull ever again....

This is the better and cheaper option. I'd go with the gooseneck, and save up for a small dump truck but it's neither my money nor my property. The topper can always be put back on if needed.

EDIT: I'd go the gooseneck route if you can SAFELY tow what you need to with a safety factor built in.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 11:02:24 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2019, 09:40:16 AM »
I am on flat land and I personally would not want to pull that heavy of a bumper hitch trailer with a pick up truck. Especially not in Kentucky. We had a heavy pindle hitch equipment trailer. It really sucked behind a pickup. I preferred to hook it to the straight truck. But, I have a tendency to go overboard on my tow vehicles.
If it were me I would seriously look at a mid size truck like a FL 60 or a little Sterling or something. They are under the CDL requirements and you can pick them up pretty reasonably priced. You can't beat that Cummins/Allison combo.

Sent from my P008 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2019, 04:27:25 PM »
Well, the sheer cost of going from a $8K-$9K purchase in the single heavy bumper pull up to a truck and a trailer.
And this is where it goes from trying to work out something to just impossible.

Now I do appreciate the suggestions but essentially what it sounds like is, "Well we know you want a tent to go camping now and then, but what we really suggest is you buy this plot of land and a camper which you can store on the lot for when you want it. Sure the suggestion sounds like a great idea...so long as one does not consider expense.

I find little dumps which have some time on them and do not need 4-6 tires, an axle rebuilt, a brake job and a set of injectors for $8K. But a decent dump is mid twenties for something that will not kill you in costs. Then the insurance...the commercial insurance is the same as a trailer payment...land then, oh yea, there's the cost of the trailer.

Just not doable, not at all. A trailer that I can pull or nothing at all. That's where I realistically am in all this and what makes sense.

And, PLEASE, no PRETTY PLEASE, no one get insulted or have their feathers ruffled. I really do appreciate the voice of experience. But the reality of each of our situations dictates our own course of action(s)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2019, 05:03:40 PM »
Tightwad.

;)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2019, 05:03:42 PM »
We have a basic double axle dump trailer.  I think 9k new.  It’s been really great!!

Pulls well loaded or empty, I personally haven’t put a skid steer in it but the boss man has.  I think just get a dump trailer and move on.   

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2019, 05:42:02 PM »
Well, the sheer cost of going from a $8K-$9K purchase in the single heavy bumper pull up to a truck and a trailer.
And this is where it goes from trying to work out something to just impossible.

Now I do appreciate the suggestions but essentially what it sounds like is, "Well we know you want a tent to go camping now and then, but what we really suggest is you buy this plot of land and a camper which you can store on the lot for when you want it. Sure the suggestion sounds like a great idea...so long as one does not consider expense.

I find little dumps which have some time on them and do not need 4-6 tires, an axle rebuilt, a brake job and a set of injectors for $8K. But a decent dump is mid twenties for something that will not kill you in costs. Then the insurance...the commercial insurance is the same as a trailer payment...land then, oh yea, there's the cost of the trailer.

Just not doable, not at all. A trailer that I can pull or nothing at all. That's where I realistically am in all this and what makes sense.

And, PLEASE, no PRETTY PLEASE, no one get insulted or have their feathers ruffled. I really do appreciate the voice of experience. But the reality of each of our situations dictates our own course of action(s)

Which is why the voice of reason (me obviously and definitely not that guy who’s name starts with a K or a D!) said gn trailer....

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2019, 06:51:26 PM »
All kidding aside,  my dumper pulled perfectly on the recent 1500 mile journey,  maxed out at 14k. ..other than the tire issue.  It pulled straight and braking was spot on.  Would I jump up to 16k BP behind a 3/4 ton, maxed out? Short trips I wouldn't hesitate.
The newer trucks are pretty stout.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2019, 06:59:30 PM »
We have a basic double axle dump trailer.  I think 9k new.  It’s been really great!!

Pulls well loaded or empty, I personally haven’t put a skid steer in it but the boss man has.  I think just get a dump trailer and move on.   

Exactly!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:00:17 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2019, 07:03:30 PM »
All kidding aside,  my dumper pulled perfectly on the recent 1500 mile journey,  maxed out at 14k. ..other than the tire issue.  It pulled straight and braking was spot on.  Would I jump up to 16k BP behind a 3/4 ton, maxed out? Short trips I wouldn't hesitate.
The newer trucks are pretty stout.
And all I would have is short trips
From here to the quarry and back, 10 miles each way, one way empty the other MGWT
From here to the farm with only the trailer, then back here @ MGWT with the Kubota inside, like 1 + 15 and backroads
Makes no sense to me to get another vehicle that requires insurance, oil changes and is already half way broken down. A trailer is stupid easy, would be new, prob need nothing for years, then just can it and get another one

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2019, 07:06:50 PM »
But I am going to look at converting to a gooseneck and dumping (get it: dumping...the topper for a dumper trailer ;-)) the topper. Only issue with that would be the need to go to a redo or relocate for the spare tire/fuel can carrier.

I'm going over there tomorrow.

I'll look at buying it straight out as option numba hana, and trading my pretty new 14K X 16 foot present trailer which is all eight kinds of excellent.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 07:07:39 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2019, 07:12:14 PM »
Tightwad.

;)
Yup
And you may not believe this, but a man owes me over $1,000,000! No kidding, but I told him he doesn't have to pay unless he gets the job I am helping him to get. Aside from that I decided to attack the VA. I'm just darned tired of them saying none of the stuff (Broken back 2X, blown out eardrum, other ear no worky, heart stuff, chem exposure, knees and so forth) is disabling. The VA sucks and treats we soldiers like we are a nuisance. Anyway I hired a legal firm to go after them and if we win the VA will owe me back pay for a couple decades and that will equate to a sizeable chunk I could use in part to put a built LBZ in an old Suburban, buy a nice dump trailer and stuff like that.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2019, 07:59:47 PM »
Well, that will be the second X on toppers......

Suppose if burb doesn’t go way of sq d you really no longer need a topper anyhow.....  :popcorn:

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2019, 08:13:56 PM »
Well, that will be the second X on toppers......

Suppose if burb doesn’t go way of sq d you really no longer need a topper anyhow.....  :popcorn:

There’s no possible way he would get rid of his people mover! Just too nice of a rig, and like you said it has a built in topper

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2019, 10:22:01 PM »
It’s not a people mover, it’s no better the. A tent right now.  It doesn’t move under its own power with out leaving a trail of blood

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2019, 10:23:19 PM »
It’s not a people mover, it’s no better the. A tent right now.  It doesn’t move under its own power with out leaving a trail of blood

No, that's all fixed. Just the weird AC thing now

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2019, 11:03:14 PM »

Arnt you just a cup full of positivity!!! :D

An ACless vehicle is quite common, maybe he’s just trying something different :).

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2019, 12:21:26 AM »
Just trying to decrease the value so I can purchase cheap.    He ignored my offer earlier

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2019, 02:50:03 AM »

If anyone gets insulted over this, then they’re in the wrong place!!

This is another not likely option... but they have a tag axle setup that allows you to pull a GN or 5er with a suburban or pickup with topper. Used a lot on motor homes to keep the tongue weight off the frame (or just like the dolly on a multi-trailer semi). But again, that’s a steep price tag. Your truck with the airbags should do fine. The next logical step would probably be a dually.

Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »

If anyone gets insulted over this, then they’re in the wrong place!!

This is another not likely option... but they have a tag axle setup that allows you to pull a GN or 5er with a suburban or pickup with topper. Used a lot on motor homes to keep the tongue weight off the frame (or just like the dolly on a multi-trailer semi). But again, that’s a steep price tag. Your truck with the airbags should do fine. The next logical step would probably be a dually.

You get the MCSPA! (Most Common Sense in a post award)

So, over the years the topper thing was only used as a place to place, then forget, tools, trash bags, parts, a camera, a few guns, waste oil, a critter or two, but they get noisy after a few hours, and other things. It has only worked to keep things dry and secured.

I do need a puller truck for a gooseneck and a dually would make the most sense. I think I would like to bring the SVL95 track loader out for some here and there jobs. Clearing off wooded lots to digging for patios driveways or things like that for a minimal charge. That would allow me to get the boys exposed to that kind of work and help put away for maintenance on the thing. It has over a hundred hours and I can clearly see that those tracks are going to need replacement down the road. They maintain plenty of tread, but chunk pretty bad and I have found that even with a good night's sleep, the thing does not heal itself. THose shoes definitely wear out.

It would make the most sense to reset the LML truck for pulling a gooseneck and then moving on to a dually as a more dedicated puller in time. Going over to the trailer lot this morning to see what shakes out.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »
I liked the idea of sell everything and move to a beach!! Do that

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2019, 02:21:41 PM »
I liked the idea of sell everything and move to a beach!! Do that

sometimes Im almost there
pulling the trigger on the 16K bumper pull

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2019, 02:43:28 PM »
It is very easy to overload one of those trailers.  The bed will hold a lot more than the hydrolics will lift.  Lucky for me someone had a miniex close by to help me unload.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
Don’t worry, Big D would never push a piece of equipment past it’s engineered specifications....  :popcorn:

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2019, 03:47:46 PM »
Don you could trade the LML for a dually, same year and mileage and probably not be out more than 8-10k.

Just remember that the hips are wide....need to work on that road a bit ;-)

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
LML Duramax build part 6
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2019, 05:39:55 PM »
I have hand shoveled ours out on more than one occasion lol two trips are for wimps. 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
Don you could trade the LML for a dually, same year and mileage and probably not be out more than 8-10k.

Just remember that the hips are wide....need to work on that road a bit ;-)

Crazy talk. I'll assume you got a couple fingers too deep into the bourbon and are in recovery phase at the moment

How could I ever part with that truck of mine? I have suffered more in the innards of that thing than on the battlefields I spent considerable time flying above in air conditioned comfort ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2019, 11:11:12 AM »
It is very easy to overload one of those trailers.  The bed will hold a lot more than the hydrolics will lift.  Lucky for me someone had a miniex close by to help me unload.
Copy that Top!

I found out this 16K has a 6" lift cyl with 3,000 psi hydraulics, but yea, I'll start slow

I have a well established reputation for not pushing it too much with equipment 8-/

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2019, 11:12:04 AM »
And here it is:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2019, 11:13:07 AM »
self contained. 5 amp charger, but it self charges through the 7th pin on the hookup

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »
Make sure you take the correct tools and your detail with you the first time you go dump it.

Also, Add a solar panel charger to it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 11:15:19 AM by Atkinsmatt »
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2019, 11:15:33 AM »
Check out this hardware:

Oil bath axles
3/8" thick wheels
H-rated 14 ply tires
5/8" studs
Steel ring used to clamp down wheel

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2019, 11:16:10 AM »
Make sure you take the correct tools and your detail with you the first time you go dump it.

Tools? Pre-Rangers?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2019, 11:17:25 AM »
Standard gate. Hinges at the top to spread or opens in the center to dump and access to load things like the Kubota

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2019, 11:18:03 AM »
Interior tie down rings

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2019, 11:19:05 AM »
Good dump angle, 45 degrees I think

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 03, 2019, 11:20:21 AM »
Big 6" lift cylinder and a scissors linkage arrangement

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 03, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

Tools? Pre-Rangers?

Shovels and gloves and the pre-rangers of course.  So you can all learn the capacity of the trailer together.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2019, 11:21:01 AM »
Built in/pull out ramps

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2019, 11:22:06 AM »

Tools? Pre-Rangers?

Shovels and gloves and the pre-rangers of course.  So you can all learn the capacity of the trailer together.
Copy...Already used it...It has a load of lumber. We went farmside and sawed up a bunch of logs to use on projects around the casa

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
Got me NEEDING one again.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 03, 2019, 11:23:03 AM »
Safety prop rod for when you take naps in the storage tray

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 03, 2019, 11:23:40 AM »
Got me NEEDING one again.
Sorry...
Move closer and you'd have a friend with a 16K one! ;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
Something...

Oh and the payload of this thing will accommodate my Kubota with a front bucket! Yea...

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
Single cylinder? Was there no dual cylinder option? For the record I’ve watched both setups work and fail. Just curious really.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2019, 11:27:58 AM »
So we pulled it down to the farm with a light load, then dumped. We sawed timber for a couple hours, then pulled home.

No joke, I have never EVER pulled a better riding trailer. What a difference quality makes. I was doing 55 in some corners. Before I would have been white-knuckled scared as I jack-knifed on my way down a hill into some creek. It rides SO, SO much better than the other two I had. I can't wait to get it to MGWT and do a pull.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal