Hello Guest

Author Topic: Homeless street meal 12 01 2014  (Read 918 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Homeless street meal 12 01 2014
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »
Another cold and rainy Monday night and another street church and meal. Tonight was a big turnout, over 150 I'd estimate and a mix of women and men.
My wife and I cooked up 20 pounds of pulled pork and dozens of hamburger buns to serve, and I got to work the crowd some and hand out hygiene bags, gloves, and socks.
Some of the homeless regulars are getting to know me now and telling me more and more about life on the street. I learned about a "Camp" that is set up by them on an abandoned block on 6th street. They told me they have a fire pit and their greatest need is simply fire wood to burn. They have makeshift tents and primitive everything else...really amazing that this exists in the middle of a thriving city!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Homeless street meal 12 01 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »
The guest pastor, Kirk, really had the folks involved. The sermons are short and sweet because we want to do that first, but then again, we don't want the food getting any colder than we can help. It never works though, and most of the chow is ambient temp. Only the coffee stays hot for the long haul.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Homeless street meal 12 01 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:20:29 PM »
I was busy handing out stuff so I didn't get the number of quality shots I wanted. I did want to mention I think a mother and her two daughters came through the line at one point. I was amazed to witness that!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal