Hello Guest

Author Topic: Survival camp fuel...What type?  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Survival camp fuel...What type?
« on: May 28, 2017, 06:26:25 PM »
Those of you knuckleheads who are following my hide site build (Mikey, Shawn, Ken...others) you know I just finished refabbing and kitting out my "New" fuel tank
All 285 gallons of it, it is but a start.

So this fuel is primarily to be used in the various diesel engined off road machines I own to include a Case track loader, and two J.Deere tractors. Someday I'll add an excavator and maybe a skid-steer to the fleet

If the world turns into an egg basket that showed up at a train wreck, then I'd use this fuel in my over the road trucks as well

So with all things considered, I need to figure out which fuel I'm going to fill the tank with.

The candidates are:

1. Normal, sold at the pump ULSD #1 or #2 @ about $2.40 a gallon

2. Off road dyed diesel @ $2.20-$2.10/ gal

3. Home heating oil @ $1.97

4. Jet gas @ well way too expensive, what the heck was I thinking about jet gas for...???

5. Gear up and make my own fuel out of WVO (V meaning vegetable or vehicle oil)
    Cost here is like $1500 to set up the processor, + all the medical Co-pays and Fire Department emergency responses, and of course the cost of rebuilding the structures I just burned down...and maybe the cost of another new truck or tractor, or track loader, and possibly the cost of my downwind neighbors farms that burned up as well...Then there's the lawyer fees, the court costs, the loss of employment and so forth during the long visit to the KBH (Kintucky big house), oh and the associated divorce costs and so forth...

6. Maybe I'll place the make my own option just behind the jet gas idea

7. Drill an oil well, well several actually, process my own oil, and set money aside for poisoning the water table, then the neighbors farm thing and big house, and what not...

Heck, forget it, sorry I brought any of this up!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 06:27:43 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Survival camp fuel...What type?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:49:56 PM »
In my mind- regular over the road diesel.  Can use it in anything without thought.  The red stuff, will get you on a world of hurt if you ever get caught using it in a over the road vehicle; not a worry with Squareness as it's got way more fuel in it than it'll ever burn in the garage in No. KY.....This approach gives you the ability to rotate it out of the storage tank via CombatMax to avoid potential of it going bad.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:07:53 PM »
I say off road diesel. It's ky & stay off the main highways if you have to run it in the max.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 09:55:39 PM »
Off road diesel. Add a wvo with old oil storage. Then a 2000 gal propane tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline CHEVSILVER1500

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2017, 02:22:36 AM »
TruckS????

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
TruckS????

My guess is shortly one of the pre rangers will have one. Definitely do not believe he was referencing the rolling parts bin also known as SQ D

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 10:26:50 AM »
I say off road diesel. It's ky & stay off the main highways if you have to run it in the max.
I do not intend to use it in my truck unless it is an emergency or end of days scenario.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 10:28:01 AM »
TruckS????

My guess is shortly one of the pre rangers will have one. Definitely do not believe he was referencing the rolling parts bin also known as SQ D
There are some good parts in that thing!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »
What about fuel oil?

Same stuff as off road, I think, minus the red dye.

I know guys who use it in their helicopters. If they trust it to provide power to rotor blades, should work in tractors.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2017, 11:26:24 AM »
I have run hho.
It's fine, as long as it doesn't get too cold.
That would be my only issue.
I'd go with either off road or hho.

The reality is, how often has anyone been checked of dyed fuel really.
I grew up in a farm, in farming country. Never been checked myself.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
Have you given any thought to a gasifier? And I know this is not the easiest to jury rig for a vehicle although it can be done, but I'm thinking for a generator. That would also make your other fuel last longer. Although I think your generators are all the regular gas type right?

Just figuring with all the wood you have its a good stockpile of fuel.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 11:40:51 AM by Wilbur »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
My opinion, fill the tank you have with regular diesel. Why? Well it'll work in everything you have, and if further down the road you come across another tank then you can have one specifically for red dyed fuel for the tractors and other equipment.

There's farms up here that have 2 or more tank of diesel for that very reason, one for trucks and one for equipment.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 12:57:07 PM »
The reality is, how often has anyone been checked of dyed fuel really.
I grew up in a farm, in farming country. Never been checked myself.

Only time I knew of was when they raided the parking lot at the annual farm show in Fort Wayne & busted "a lot" of the farmers there.....

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 08:24:07 PM »
As long as regular diesel is available just use it. If things get tight or SHF who cares.

If you got to HHO or Off road there is a chance you get checked and the fines are crazy. If you by lots of HHO and have no use for it someone will see that.

If you don't believe it is an issue, just use HHO. Put a little dye in it and use an additive for all the OTR stuff.

With all you have done, look at setting up a still of some type to make your own. There is a setup for that using waste engine oil and there will be lots of that if times get tuff.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 10:29:12 PM »
I believe hho is died.  I also wouldn't want to run the Dmax or your newer jd tractors on hho.  It would probably be fine in the older diesel engines though.

I would fill the tank with off road.  Use it to run your equipment there.  It is going to be a hassle to fill that tank.  It is relatively simple to pull into a gas station and up your truck.  No use treking fuel into the site just to drive it back out in a vehicle fuel tank.

If for some reason you need to put dyed fuel in the truck know that it is going to take a while for it to be cleared of the system.  As long as you aren't frequenting the local stock yards or bringing live stock to any local fairs you probably don't need to worry about it though.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, but does the dyed fuel give off evidence that it's in use? how would anyone ever know, or even think to check?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2017, 01:37:38 PM »
The engine won't know and it won't run any differently.  The fuel tank can be dipped to see if the fuel is dyed.  The dye is very potent.  If any dyed fuel is ran it will stick around in the tank for a long time.  It will also dye the fuel filter. 

I have heard of farmer's tanks being dipped at places like a county fair.  Here in Wisconsin I understand it is common for a trucks tank be dipped at the large livestock yards.  But, outside of ag type activities where a large number of trucks that could be running dyed fuel congregate it is not very common.  It is highly unlikely that your tank would be dipped.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »
Also, I'm sure anybody considering WVO would have done enough research to learn that it also acts a cleaner in fuel systems.  Diesel fuel leaves some deposits of crud in the fuel system.  Running WVO will break that down and clean the system out.  Sounds like a good think but if it happens post filter you don't want those deposits of crud getting to the injectors.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
WVO is another whole world vs HHO, Diesel 1-2.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »
Well, I haven't decided what to use, so I just purchased 35 gallons of pump diesel and poured it into the tank to get me started

Really considering the HHO if it is cheap. It ran great in the helicopters that no one knew they were burning!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »
Don you know you can get a tax credit for fuel tax paid for any fuel you use off road right?

I did it a number of years ago after the market meltdown and had a stretch where I used diesel as HHO. Just filed this form with my taxes and got the credit for it as an offset against income tax:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4136.pdf

Here's the instructions for it:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i4136.pdf

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2017, 10:31:24 PM »
Didn't know that

But

My deductions exceed any taxes I pay , meaning I always get every red cent back that I was taxed, so any more is just more of nothing...

OldKooT

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
Just saw this LoL

I have been "dipped" many times by the DOT looking for red fuel. That said since I run so much trans/hydraulic fluid for fuel...I just let em test and they get all flustered.

I would store farm fuel....that duramax thingy can't handle unrefined fuels.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal