Hello Guest

Author Topic: WR450F Scout Build Thread  (Read 35560 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: WR450F Scout Build Thread
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2015, 01:50:06 PM »
I like black belts too so I suppose that makes me racist. And careful commenting on my rack these guys who hang out on CL around here might get the wrong idear....... :o

I'm not hard to find...  ;)

Nice bike Shawn.  I do like it.  I do fancy blue over the other colors.  (hope that doesn't come across racist and hurt your feelings)  Nice rack btw too.   ::)
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2015, 02:56:10 PM »
You've got that right! 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
OK, so the front new 1/8" aluminum lower skid guard showed up. It was packaged well and appeared to be a quality piece. Made by a company called UNA-BIKER

So we start by removing the flimsy plastic stock unit. Which is held on by three bolts, two up front and one below in the rear.

Old guy unit, think I might re-gift this to Big D.......

So in the instructions which mention nothing about hardware being too long or the fact you may need a BFH or couple good C-clamps to install this. Otherwise the instructions were pretty straight forward.  ???

So I start by inserting front two short countersunk machine bolts. Unfortunately they are about an 1/8" too long and bottom out before they are tight in the countersunk holes of the guard. So being that the bottom hole is a slot I decide I will procure the correct length hardware at a later date and by pass adding Loctite to all the hardware. In the meantime I decide to add a lock washer (aka spacer) behind these two front bolts. They do then tighten up in the machined countersunk holes. On now to the bottom bolt which is not long enough to engage the mount which is recessed up in the frame about 3/4" they did add a piece of nylon block to acts as a spacer here. So a couple things to note, the forming for this product was off so poor quality control IMO. If that quality would have been maintained then at least the bottom bolt would have been correct length. With that said trying to line up the bolt thru the guard and then into a nylon block was a bit of a PIA. The guard is made from aluminum why not weld a small block of aluminum inside the guard and do away with a nylon spacer that floats around? They welded on the guard to install the wings, his would have made it a much easier install and something I will most likely add the next time I remove it to add the correct hardware and some blue Loctite. So using two c-clamps I managed to press the guard up enough to get the bottom bolt started and finish the install.

Much better than flimsy plastic protecting the water pump and ignition covers. However, we will be modding this component in the near future to make a decent product a great product. The design is there it just needs a little tweaking in a couple spots. One thing I do like about this product is how close it fits to the frame and engine components. This should help keep debris out.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 04:53:52 PM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2015, 05:05:22 PM »
Nice rack, sack full of farts, racist????? Dons Happy 8)

What are you guys a bunch of ex military or cops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh, I like the skid plate.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 05:07:33 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2015, 07:43:04 PM »
Nice rack, sack full of farts, racist????? Dons Happy 8)

What are you guys a bunch of ex military or cops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Oh, I like the skid plate.

neither!  Just a yankee(well, used to be), a hill-billy, and a Don....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 15, 2015, 03:48:21 PM »
So I woke up this morning to find a solid 6" on the ground and a couple foot in the driveway. So after confirming my appointment with the Colorado State Police for road worthy inspection was still a go I shoveled the driveway. Then proceeded to has a disagreement about who was taking jk this morning. Then went & picked up rental bike trailer & slid back to house to load said bike. After that I spent a good half hour looking for Bill of sale paperwork. Just for the record I hate losing things & am very meticulous about paperwork. So with no bill of sale (meeting was at 10:30 & bike shop opened at 10) I decided screw it as its not the bmv just a road worthy inspection & proceeded to leave. Get half way thru a 30 min drive & realize I forgot bike ignition keys. I figured at this point all I could do was say a prayer & hope they had mercy on my dumb butt. So I get there half hour early & the officer meets me outside as I'm walking up. First question out of my mouth what other than bike do you need to run this inspection? He says bill of sale & I said guess I'll call dealer, realize at this point I am standing in a foot of snow still coming down & blowing. I also probably look like a whipped dog. He takes a look at me up & down asks a couple questions about bike and conversion (new & dealer installed) then says don't worry about it just tell me everything they did. Go over serial number etc, charges me twenty & then I shake his hand tell him "God Bless you sir & may he keep you safe!" You should have saw his expression then he thanked me & we had a nice 15 min long discussion after that. So a shout out to the CSP! Saved my morning.....

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 15, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
Ain't it amazing how some manners and God make things go so much better.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 15, 2015, 07:36:55 PM »
All I can say is prayer works!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 15, 2015, 08:24:48 PM »
Funny how just being polite, on time and know what you are saying smooths things over.

Fantastic!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:35 PM »
Great news Shawn!

...wouldn't wanna drive it this time of year though!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 15, 2015, 08:56:09 PM »
Funny how just being polite, on time and know what you are saying smooths things over.

Fantastic!!

JR, I try to be patient & forgiving. My schedule is very lax at this point so I'm not pushy at all. As you know a minute or two with a person & you can tell a lot about them. This CSPO was a genuinely good guy, he had compassion. I can't say the same for the local po who can't figure out when in a months time he can drive 2 minutes to do an inspection. He is on my crap list indefinitely and what goes around comes around.

Ken, no riding this week but last week was in the high 60's so we'll get a plate slapped on this & wait for good weather. Need to permanently modify that lower skid plate anyhow.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 15, 2015, 09:21:25 PM »
Cool!...Good story
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 21, 2015, 10:37:34 AM »
Nice progress.  Glad to see you didn't have to hurt someone...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2016, 10:40:39 AM »
OK, so several additions. Still need to rework the bottom skid plate as I think the design can be improved.

So first I added license plate bracket and a small weather proof tube to hold the registration/insurance making us officially street legal. The upturned bar in the rear of the rack makes for a perfect place for all of this.

Next we added some much needed hand guards and an above the headlight bag from Wolfman which apparently by the shipping address is made in Longmont Co. ten minutes north of me, who knew? The bag incorporates a nice Velcro se thru map holder. I think the idea is to have it visible while riding but it doesn't seem very functional in that regards. However it does fit nicely inside the small zippered pouch and I think will be handy.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »
I understand having the reg on the bike, but it that where someone can take it easily?

So tear up the street and tell us how she feels!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:24 PM »
I understand having the reg on the bike, but it that where someone can take it easily?

So tear up the street and tell us how she feels!!

At the moment yes, but I'm working on something for the rack which will keep it out of easy view.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
It's growin'!

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
Hmm, still no progress.....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2016, 05:02:26 PM »
I have a jeep to build leave me alone. Glad to see you're alive!

Offline Armalite

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2016, 05:04:29 PM »
Yep, just caught on to that.  Looks like all the action is on your jeep thread....  I need to check on that motor anyhow, speaking of jeeps....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2016, 04:03:00 PM »
OK, so a few parts started to show up but I have been busy upgrading the new home into a livable workable space. So I decided to spend this weekend relaxing and doing stuff I enjoy rather than items I consider to fall into more of a work category.

Now for the record I have been riding the bike for some time locally and it is a lot of fun. As such as an adult I have never had my endorsement on my license. Never had a street legal bike so never needed it. Decided last Tuesday it was time & I spent 3.5 hours at the dmv taking care of that this week.

With all of that stated the bike needed additional fuel addressed and also more storage. I'm still debating on upgrading the stock tank to a larger one but I hate throwing away good unused parts in that process. It's kinda like tires, I run them until they are pretty smooth. Not like 'ol Don here who must own stock in discount tire and buys a new set once a month. Anyhow I had been eyeballing those rotopax units for sometime. Spendy but seemed quality so I pulled the trigger and after some careful measuring ordered a 2 gallon container and their matching storage unit. At the same time I purchased the locking mount and extension for the storage unit. After careful consideration I figured the best way to mount these to the rear rack was just using a couple pieces of 1/8" x 3" flat cut to 10" long. Laid out a hole pattern and fired up the drill.

Added some rubber tube to the bars on the rack.

After paint and some stainless hardware I mocked the keyed mount up

Test fitting rotopax

Noticed the bolt heads would be rubbing into the bottom side of the gas tank. So found these rubber stick on pads for under $3 for the pack.

So then adjusted the lock to hold the tanks in place. The top storage box wants to twist a little side to side. There are grooves built into the tanks that are concave and match up, so I think a small round piece of rubber laid in this groove between the tanks would fix that as the bottom tank is secure it's just the top that moves. In the mean time I was looking around the shop and at all the contours of the tanks etc and think I found a good fix for the present time.

US issued bayonet and sheath fits in there nicely and 3pt tractor clip locks the sheath into the tanks on the bottom!

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 05, 2016, 07:20:59 PM »
That blade worked out pretty awesome!

I like the setup.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 05, 2016, 08:50:06 PM »
Thanks, I like it too. Funny how things work out. Only have a couple boxes I haven't sorted thru since the move. As I'm looking around I see the bayonet laying on top & think that would be cool if it fit & by golly it fit like it was made for such a purpose.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 05, 2016, 11:04:22 PM »
Old Armee bayonet!

That's a great idea!

Shawn, make sure it is well secured so that it won't come loose in a crash

Me: In the Armee, had a boot knife come loose and exited through a hole it created in my flight suit IN MY GROIN!

Friend: Had an engine failure in an OH-6C. Did a successful autrotation but being a blackhawk pilot (Used to the autrotation characteristics of that aircraft) We figure he ran out of rotor RPM and ideas at maybe 15-20 feet. He landed hard and would have survived except that his body rocked forward and drove his own survival knife into his leg, severing the femoral artery. He died before anyone could get to him.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 05, 2016, 11:11:26 PM »
 Not a happy story there, Don. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 05, 2016, 11:56:32 PM »
Copy that Don, sorry about your friend. Honestly, I don't plan on riding with it in there. It was good for the write up but a short chunk of rubber fuel line between the tanks in the concave area will do the same & be much safer.

Old Armee bayonet!

That's a great idea!

Shawn, make sure it is well secured so that it won't come loose in a crash

Me: In the Armee, had a boot knife come loose and exited through a hole it created in my flight suit IN MY GROIN!

Friend: Had an engine failure in an OH-6C. Did a successful autrotation but being a blackhawk pilot (Used to the autrotation characteristics of that aircraft) We figure he ran out of rotor RPM and ideas at maybe 15-20 feet. He landed hard and would have survived except that his body rocked forward and drove his own survival knife into his leg, severing the femoral artery. He died before anyone could get to him.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2016, 10:45:09 AM »
Yea, the knife thing is always dangerous...

Know another guy, a 1st Bat Ranger who did a jump with a boot knife. Had it taped and in the sheath. after the night drop, a combat drop, he never found it again!

The guy killed in the Loch had one of those really big Ranger-Joe knives in his vest. Back then we Night Stalkers were just going along inventing stuff. That one didn't pass muster, and all of us of that vintage warned the youngins when we saw them start to jock up like some real war fighter.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2016, 12:11:29 PM »
Ok, so with JK bleeding & in a shop I am DD the 450. Thinking after actually using it to haul stuff around with me that the spare gas can & storage box need to be rotated 90 degrees up (imagine hinge mounted to them currently right above rear tail lights). I'll stand them up in a vertical mount & regain the back couple inches of my seat along with the whole rack. In a pinch I could carry a rider, might install flip down pegs for just such an incident off rack support legs. Then when I need I now have a rack to tie a pack to as well. Will remount license off of rear fender just below tail lights.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 12, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »
What's the HP of that rascal anyway?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 12, 2016, 11:09:59 AM »
What's the HP of that rascal anyway?

Stock is just under 60, it weighs 275# as well. Power hasn't been an issue, it's nimble & has enough power to get me in trouble if I'm not careful.

Can't recall if I mentioned it but due to the battery being under the seat & that rack making it a pain to remove I added battery tender leads. One other thing that I wish someone made was a choke handle extension. They have it tucked in and under making it hard to find as you can't see it sitting on bike & with gloves on it's hard to pull out.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:12:33 AM by stlaser »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 12, 2016, 05:39:38 PM »
60hp at 275lb that thing should be a blast!

My KTM530 was a little lighter and it hauled my bulk around just fine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 12, 2016, 07:03:19 PM »
So in preparation to build the new mount for the auxiliary fuel tank and storage box I first needed to move the license plate and also the hidden tube containing the registration. Took all of a half hour maybe and I think maybe since the license plate is mounted below that rear light maybe it is mo legal now too.....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 13, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
Full sized plate?

Wow, 60 hp must be amazing

I may have eked 45 hp out of my DR 650 and it feels pretty spunky

I am thinking I want a KTM 690 and do the full adventure thing on it. I think I'd enjoy the added horsepower

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 13, 2016, 09:26:20 AM »
Full sized plate?

Wow, 60 hp must be amazing

I may have eked 45 hp out of my DR 650 and it feels pretty spunky

I am thinking I want a KTM 690 and do the full adventure thing on it. I think I'd enjoy the added horsepower

Not full size, maybe half size (rear fender is really narrow).

It's plenty of power no doubt, Yamaha sandwiched that 450 into that tiny frame for enduro racing etc.

Buddy of mine has KTM, he loves it but the maintenance needs of it make it a shop queen. Which is ok since he's a Dr. & his actual riding time is limited. So I looked hard at them & for the price & added maintenance I just couldn't do it.

My wife's sister & brother in law just bought a Toter early this year & are visiting several times a year now. They strap their dirt bikes & mountain bikes to fifth wheel deck on the rear. So we've all been trying to convince my wife (who grew up riding) that she needs one. She's stuck on this idea of comfort over everything else & wants me to buy a cruiser she can sit on the back. I'm not there yet, give me another 5-10 years and maybe. I like the adventure bike concept though.....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 13, 2016, 09:35:08 AM »
Thats why I dumped my KTM. Loved it but all special parts, nickosil liner.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 13, 2016, 10:03:14 AM »
Youse guys!

You're raining on ma parade!

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 13, 2016, 02:20:41 PM »
And it also depends on what era of KTM they are talking about.  15 years ago, I would agree the bikes were not up to the standard of the Japanese bikes.  10 years ago is approximately where they started to catch up.  But today?  I would argue that KTM has not only caught up, but went flying past their competition in terms of quality and reliability.  Price wise they are still a little more expensive, so actual value is probably a wash when comparing the KTM equivalent bike to one of the Japanese options.  For me, it all boiled down to which one came from the factory with a license plate.  And in this department, KTM has been dominating the market since 2007.  Unfortunately I live in the ridiculously corrupt and misguided state of Illinois.  It is very difficult to get an off road bike converted and titled here.  It is much easier to buy one with a plate already on it.

Here is what I upgraded to last month.  Currently have 7 or 8 hours on the bike and love it.  The previous KTM that I got rid of had 180 hours and still ran great, so I couldn't complain.  Never had an issue.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 13, 2016, 03:15:12 PM »
I have sort of been looking for a older 530, but still pricey. My plated XR 600 although a little heavier has many mods and parts are cheap.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 14, 2016, 02:42:58 PM »
So back on task, in the process of making the bike mo versatile. I'm in the process of building the removable rear gas & storage rack. Ran into slight delay there with oversized hitch pins.....

Then now that I have more room on the rack I'm looking at purchasing these.

http://www.axiis-ea.com/

They make a bolt on set for the 2012-15 wr450 & look to be of nice quality.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 14, 2016, 04:52:03 PM »
Those look nice Sean and not priced out of the park.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 17, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »
Those do look really cool.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 20, 2016, 08:01:21 PM »
So I held off with purchasing those pegs, after closer inspection I think they may interfere with the front lower support mounts on my rear rack. In the meantime I moved forward with the rear upright removable quick attach mount for the spare fuel tank and storage box. Still need to pick up some mounting hardware and a couple pins with the little press in quick release balls for the lower mount pins.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 21, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
Really good looking, quality stuff

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 21, 2016, 03:48:32 PM »
Picked up the last of the hardware today....

I know, I know fully loaded I'll try not to pull a Big D. Guess I had better ditch the flip flops......

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 21, 2016, 05:02:18 PM »
Can anyone say, "Aerodynamic braking?"

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 21, 2016, 05:09:54 PM »
Correct, why it has the three pins. It will stay off until I need it for a long trip etc and then the rack may have a bag on it or a person as well. At that point it wouldn't really matter.....

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 21, 2016, 05:47:01 PM »
Nice install, the extra fluids will come in handy. How much was a larger tank compared to those?

Sean, how aerodynamic are you sitting in front of it?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2016, 06:16:25 PM »
Nice install, the extra fluids will come in handy. How much was a larger tank compared to those?

Sean, how aerodynamic are you sitting in front of it?

I'm not very aerodynamic, big head n all. The larger tanks are several hundred & bulky permanent. If I wanted to use this as a trail bike I still can now. I don't recall what I spent for tank & box but assume it's pretty much a wash either way. Rack is useable in any case & if spare tank is mounted and starts leaking (which they have been known to leak at manufacture seams) then at least its back away from hot exhaust not right over it.  ;)

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 21, 2016, 09:05:17 PM »
I am about as aero as you are, maybe a little lower.

Light trail bikes are nice, loved my old KTM.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »
Holy wheelie machine!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal