Hello Guest

Author Topic: Heat reclaimer  (Read 3284 times)

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
Heat reclaimer
« on: December 05, 2021, 02:57:13 AM »
So built this 12 years ago and still keeping my shop at 76 degrees or higher if I’m running the guts out of my tig welder….
So what is it ….free heat …. If you have a natural gas furnace your wasting more than half of what your paying for gas to heat your home… they put some rating scale on it but any furnace can benefit from this build….
I set up shop in my basement an for a few years froze to death down there…On testing day chest level  was 53 degrees and concrete floor was way colder… This on a 32 degree day, the 4 inch click together furnace exhaust pipe was always dripping water on my work bench which was another reason…

Now I drilled a small hole in the inducer fan outlet where it went from 2 inches to 4 and put my temp probe into and it read 286 degrees after about 35 feet of dripping double wall pipe and walked outside to find inside the Chinamans hat was reading 134 over the ambient 32 degree day…

Now the build
I had an aftermarket bar and plate intercooler that was on a 240sx from the junkyard car was never finished so new unit.
Core is 12x24 and 3 inches thick but had small 2 1/4 inlets on the cast tank so went to the metal recycler and bought this huge intercooler from a 18 wheeler all I needed was the cast inlets

So I cut off the baby endtanks fabbed my own out of 1/8 inch aluminum and welded on the v shaped inlets and outlets that formed to 3 1/2 id round holes.
Then built a mount to attach to the ceiling
I then removed inducer fan and welded on a 2 inch stainless 90 and then attached this with a t bolt clamp onto the connection pipe …..

Connection pipe
starts as a 3 inch kiddie fire extinguisher bottle upside down (need a condensation drain) the bottom has a 3/8 barb fitting welded on and top which was the bottom of the bottle is cut off and this welded to just aluminum 3 inch intercooler pipe it turns and goes to intercooler where it is welded on… now half way up the fire bottle is a 2 inch aluminum pipe that slides over the stainless piece and sealed with orange rtv and secured with said t bolt clamp I mentioned above

Now intercooler is mounted perpendicular to the floor and has a 12x 24 box riveted to the core on one side and sealed with that fancy aluminum foil tape one end has a hvac duct that goes from rectangle to a 5 or 6 inch round hole that is where a Jenn aire downdraft range box fan is mounted… think it pulls 1/3 hp so it’s a little fan your hand over outlet can cavitation it so not that stong
The intercooler tank furthest away from furnace has a thermostat from an attic fan mounted inside in a small compartment And then cord just plugs in the outlet
Found original one not a good idea it has steel parts and rusts so go with something different … I ended up just removing and when I switch on heat in fall plug in fan and it just runs all winter been that way about 6 years…

Intercooler outlet
Now it simply has 3 inch sch 40 pvc pushed in and sealed with rtv goes back about a foot and turns 90 and travels in different lengths outside and same chinamans hat pushed on.
Now both inlet and outlets have barb fitting to drain as well as the bottom for fire bottle all of these have coiled up 3/8 rubber hose to act as a catch like under your sink…. They fill with water and keeps carbon monoxide from killing you….

So results half way through cycle of furnace the outlet of fan has been blowing 107 degrees every winter for 12 years besides this basement is toasty and furnace runs about 30 percent less than without because basement heat is warming floors upstairs…

So every furnace has a pressure switch which sense a blocked exhaust putting a barb fitting after intercooler stops that ….

Now pvc melt temp is up close to 400 and after the intercooler core pulls all the heat electrons out it’s just a few degrees over ambient shop temp if I decide to stay here and not move to NC into my parents farm I’m building a 30x30 garage and I’ll turn exhaust into it and through another one of these and then back outside….

Condensation sucks , I reclaim about 5 to 6 gallons in fall and early spring then cold winter 10 to 12 gallons a day.   I could run a hose from around to the pump for the ac system but I just let it drip into a bucket and flush the toilet with it downstairs or just into the deep sink….
A 3 inch flapper valve controlled to kick on when inducer fan would work but if it fails your poisoned…
I lost a friend to CO poisoning and I don’t play with it

I would do all patient stuff but all it takes is some Chinese guy in a cave to change this 10 percent
And I’ve wasted 25k and some crooked lawyer got a boat.

Now sizing core yeah bigger is better with a huge surface area but my shop is 60x12 and 12x12 around the corner of the office and is only about 80 to 85 degrees exiting the core your not cooling down a cat or a big Detroit diesel… now my garage is packed with car parts etc so when all that metal heats up it stays warm
If you want to build one I’ll answer your question’s
I’ll check on this thread for responses
way way way into the future if you can’t find me Big Don has my number …
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:51:00 AM by ZedR-1 »

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Heat reclaimer
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2021, 03:12:12 AM »
Forgot to add you need a drain and a bend from inducer fan you don’t want any condensation in your inducer fan or fan box

Also if I build another the bar and plate core will be positioned where all water flows down not across
So buy a core with the tubes flowing up and down and tanks are on the top and bottom not the sides
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:39:36 AM by ZedR-1 »

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2021, 03:19:23 AM »
I just saw Don has a wood fired boiler…. Don this is for clean exhaust only no fuel oil furnace or a wood stove exhaust no sort of funk allowed in core
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 04:38:03 AM by ZedR-1 »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2021, 08:45:53 AM »
Curtis,  before the “Dave’s” pile on, some pics would be nice and helpful…..

Makes sense though, except in Texas our furnace is in the attic and we don’t have basements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2021, 09:35:39 AM »
Yeah I’ll figure out how to post pictures to help you guys out as for in the attic could run exhaust to shed shop etc or run in attic then instead of fan just blowing out it gets plumbed into a pvc manifold with ducts to attached garage or into the house through ceilings

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2021, 10:13:41 AM »
Curtis. The rules: Pics or it didn't happen!
plus
This group is not a cerebral one and we like to look at pics
Oh, and this is a morbid group
Not that I have ever made a mistake, but when I do something like bush-hog my chain saw, they really seemed to like things like that
So...
'When you first built your "heat reclaimer"
and it blew up...Well, this group would like, especially like to see pics of that
;-))

Oh, and that is one cool idea!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 10:15:11 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2021, 10:19:50 AM »
Gentlemen
I need to make a "Curtis Note" here
Because you don't know this young man
He does not sleep
He just works and thinks up stuff
Seriously
He is an inventor, extraordinaire
He will see something and fourteen days later it no longer looks like it used to, is vastly more efficient, does six extra things and is making 1000HP on tap water.
Possibly a genuius, or just nuts, or something inbetween.
I know Ilike him for some reason, and in time
My monee sez, all of U's will 2

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2021, 10:30:31 AM »
Interesting idea,  can’t wait to see some photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 01:00:08 PM »
I've read that but especally with technical stuff I am visual learner. Hope to see some pics.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 01:01:03 PM »
Curtis,  before the “Dave’s” pile on, some pics would be nice and helpful…..

Makes sense though, except in Texas our furnace is in the attic and we don’t have basements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why don't you have basements in Texas?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
Lol water table is so high we’d have indoor pools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2021, 03:31:24 PM »
Makes sense

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 04:01:33 PM »
I just saw Don has a wood fired boiler…. Don this is for clean exhaust only no fuel oil furnace or a wood stove exhaust no sort of funk allowed in core
So you're publically stating that the first one did not blow up?
;-)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 04:07:21 PM »
Yea, that boiler of mine will sometimes emit a 2 foot flame from a 10" exhaust stack. I's putting a lot of stuff out the top for sure.

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 07:53:07 PM »
Don’t know if you’ve ever thought of it Chief but you could weld up a plate steel box and encase in concrete and have a series of the old elementary school classroom radiators in them with a pool pump and you could heat your barn, shop, 10 garages and a large swimming all winter off what your releasing…. I actually was going to build one to heat the pool all winter and my daughter and neighbor girls said I’m not walking wet from the pool so sometimes the kids are smarter than we are…

Offline ZedR-1

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2021, 07:54:53 PM »
Awaiting my block of instructions on how to load pictures from an iPhone so I can square you guys away ….

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2021, 08:14:43 PM »
Awaiting my block of instructions on how to load pictures from an iPhone so I can square you guys away ….

I use Tapatalk when I need to make posts with pictures here from my iPhone, the rest of the time I surf this site from safari and non pic posts are made with safari.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2021, 08:47:54 PM »
I have found if I edit the photo first by turning it back and forth then posting it stays in the right position.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal