Hello Guest

Author Topic: 1998 Jeep XJ  (Read 57044 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 1998 Jeep XJ
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2015, 09:52:41 PM »
Those spark plugs were GONE!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2015, 03:27:11 AM »
Bobby,

Instead of using the 'insert pic' link, attach them instead. If you scroll up a few posts, Ken posted a pic of a swivel socket but it has a little paper clip icon. When you click on the pic, it opens up in a new window, and if the window isn't large enough for the full size image, a magnifying glass icon appears and you can click the pic to make it FULL size. Yours look to be inserted into the body of the post and that's why when you click on them they open up full size.

If you're posting from your phone you may be limited in the method that you can use to attach pics.

Hope that helps...

Does that still work when using imgur?

Those spark plugs were GONE!

Yes they were. Now that I got the plug/wires/cap and rotor replaced, I can move on to other items before winter hits with it's icy fist of hate.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2015, 03:43:13 AM »
I got an XJ steering shaft for my burb. Ever hear of doing that?
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2015, 04:52:02 AM »
I got an XJ steering shaft for my burb. Ever hear of doing that?

Putting an XJ shaft on a Burb? No, but then again, I've never really done much to my previous vehicles besides the normal fluid changes and maintenance; XJ is the vehicle I'm sorta doing more stuff to when I can.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

OldKooT

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2015, 07:20:29 AM »
Bobby.... I have a Xj I am going to be sending to the scrap heap at some point very soon. It's got a hatched 4.0 and is generally a POS. But it did run and drive fine minus the rod trying to fly out of the block. If you need any parts lemme know. It also has a lift of some type... I haven't investigated much.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
Bobby.... I have a Xj I am going to be sending to the scrap heap at some point very soon. It's got a hatched 4.0 and is generally a POS. But it did run and drive fine minus the rod trying to fly out of the block. If you need any parts lemme know. It also has a lift of some type... I haven't investigated much.

Let me give XJ a once over this weekend when I'm sitting at work, and I'll let you know. If you got any pics of her, wanna throw a couple up? Might see something that I haven't thought of.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2015, 10:04:16 AM »
Bobby, I'm thinking I heard lift kit...

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2015, 10:09:34 AM »
Road trip.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

OldKooT

« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2015, 10:10:53 AM »
I will grab a pic or two this afternoon. It's completely rust free but very ugly. It has no paperwork or maybe I'd sell it to someone as a project...that said it's pretty much a parts rig. And yes it is lifted....it has 31" rubber and slightly cut front fenders.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:07 AM »
Bobby, I'm thinking I heard lift kit...

Maybe.

Road trip.

Lol work schedule isn't allowing that.

I will grab a pic or two this afternoon. It's completely rust free but very ugly. It has no paperwork or maybe I'd sell it to someone as a project...that said it's pretty much a parts rig. And yes it is lifted....it has 31" rubber and slightly cut front fenders.

Hm..

OldKooT

« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2015, 10:15:45 AM »
Bobby, what general part of the USA are you in? It's sat behind a shed on concrete for a year already. It's not going anywhere in a hurry...other than I would like not to plow around it yet another winter LoL

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Bobby, what general part of the USA are you in? It's sat behind a shed on concrete for a year already. It's not going anywhere in a hurry...other than I would like not to plow around it yet another winter LoL

Wisconsin.

What axle is hanging under the front.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:46:05 PM by BobbyB »

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2015, 12:56:03 PM »
factory is HP d30 non disconnect
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
Bobby,

Instead of using the 'insert pic' link, attach them instead. If you scroll up a few posts, Ken posted a pic of a swivel socket but it has a little paper clip icon. When you click on the pic, it opens up in a new window, and if the window isn't large enough for the full size image, a magnifying glass icon appears and you can click the pic to make it FULL size. Yours look to be inserted into the body of the post and that's why when you click on them they open up full size.

If you're posting from your phone you may be limited in the method you can use to attach pics.

Hope that helps...

Does that still work when using imgur?

No, because attaching a file saves it on the RMT&S server. Using a 3rd party hosting site just uses a pointer to the file over on imgur's servers ([IMG] HTML tag), therefore whatever size the pic is on Imgur, it will be the same here. So, before you upload to imgur you'd need to resize the pic. The easiest way to resize is to turn down the resolution that your camera (I'm assuming your phone) takes pics at... if that's even possible?  Other than that, there are 3rd party apps for the phone or even MS Paint on the PC that can resize the pic.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »
...therefore whatever size the pic is on Imgur, it will be the same here. So, before you upload to imgur you'd need to resize the pic. The easiest way to resize is to turn down the resolution that your camera (I'm assuming your phone) takes pics at... if that's even possible?  Other than that, there are 3rd party apps for the phone or even MS Paint on the PC that can resize the pic.

You can resize individual pics in imgur too... Click on your pic there, then click Edit Image, and there's a resize option.

Alternatively, there's an Auto-Resize option as well that will resize when you upload to imgur

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 01:25:05 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

OldKooT

« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2015, 01:27:17 PM »
I am sure it's the original Dana 30 front axle. Although since this thing was a "off roader" I should check and see if there are any mods besides the lift.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:03 PM »
...therefore whatever size the pic is on Imgur, it will be the same here. So, before you upload to imgur you'd need to resize the pic. The easiest way to resize is to turn down the resolution that your camera (I'm assuming your phone) takes pics at... if that's even possible?  Other than that, there are 3rd party apps for the phone or even MS Paint on the PC that can resize the pic.

You can resize individual pics in imgur too... Click on your pic there, then click Edit Image, and there's a resize option.

Alternatively, there's an Auto-Resize option as well that will resize when you upload to imgur

There ya go! I don't use imgur so I'm not aware of some of its features. Good find Kyle!
Ryan

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2015, 02:27:08 PM »
No, because attaching a file saves it on the RMT&S server. Using a 3rd party hosting site just uses a pointer to the file over on imgur's servers ([IMG] HTML tag), therefore whatever size the pic is on Imgur, it will be the same here. So, before you upload to imgur you'd need to resize the pic. The easiest way to resize is to turn down the resolution that your camera (I'm assuming your phone) takes pics at... if that's even possible?  Other than that, there are 3rd party apps for the phone or even MS Paint on the PC that can resize the pic.

^^ Thanks computer people ^^

factory is HP d30 non disconnect

I know, I was hoping Norm had an old one with the 44, or had you know swapped it with one, or something awesome like that. Hey I can dream.

Online EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2015, 02:36:14 PM »
I'll keep an ear to the ground for a late model wagoneer/early xj. Anything with a d44 front will be 6 lug though. And Norm probably DOES have them, he just needs to check in the other barn behind the hay bales.  ;D
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2015, 02:59:43 PM »
I'll keep an ear to the ground for a late model wagoneer/early xj. Anything with a d44 front will be 6 lug though. And Norm probably DOES have them, he just needs to check in the other barn behind the hay bales.  ;D

I was actually thinking the same thing. Of course I could just stick with what I got and fix it up somehow.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2015, 03:09:30 PM »
Thanks kyle....did not know that. I've uploaded close to 3000 pics to imgur since the beginning of RMTWS, and thought I knew what I was doing.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2015, 03:28:59 PM »
Thanks kyle....did not know that. I've uploaded close to 3000 pics to imgur since the beginning of RMTWS, and thought I knew what I was doing.

You're welcome. Truthfully, i didn't know about the auto-resize until today. I just always did it individually, or not at all. But i'll likely use the auto-resize from here on out. I might do a sticky in the Intro's section with a little tutorial.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2015, 03:57:37 PM »
You sure on the 6 lug guys? Ford and dodge used 5 lugs for a long time with 44's. I know they will be a lot wider, but I bet the knuckles will cross over? A 44 would sure be nice vs the 30.

I see XJs all around here built up being at the foot of the Sierras and a hairs breath from the rubicon.

Oh, the XJ shaft on the GMs gets rid of the rag joint. Popular mod on many of the truck forums.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2015, 05:14:21 PM »
Bobby... What you'd want to find in order to build a 44 front is a Dana 44 F-250 77ish-79 Ford front axle. These are reverse Rotation DS drop like your Dana 30. Most would then cut/narrow for a overall axle width of 64" for a XJ application. Then... you can pick and choose knuckles and hubs/brakes from a variety of applications depending on desired bolt pattern. And of course you'd also need to buy some custom inner axle shafts. Fabricate your brackets/steering and your done. Not all that bad of job really....You'd also then most likely want a 8.8 rear with a matching bolt pattern and gears.

Personally....a Dana 30 with quality ball joints, and 31" rubber won't be prone to breakage unless you use a air locker or a Detroit. And even then it would take some abuse. The advantage to the 44 starts becoming more obvious when ya get larger rubber (35") and a locker. Also Wis terrain is largely dirt/mud so again I'd stick with the Dana 30 front.

If you ever need custom axle or fab work of any nature done...let me know. I have many friends in Wisconsin in the 4x4 world. I also have kids/grand kids there, and we visit a few times a year.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2015, 11:56:51 PM »

You're welcome. Truthfully, i didn't know about the auto-resize until today. I just always did it individually, or not at all. But i'll likely use the auto-resize from here on out. I might do a sticky in the Intro's section with a little tutorial.
I'd like to see that

I manually resize everything to large before posting it

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2015, 04:36:52 AM »
Tell yah, if I wasn't building the burb and the max and a samurai in the waits. I think an XJ would be a great family 4x4 even though I am a gm guy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2015, 07:00:38 AM »
Bobby... What you'd want to find in order to build a 44 front is a Dana 44 F-250 77ish-79 Ford front axle. These are reverse Rotation DS drop like your Dana 30. Most would then cut/narrow for a overall axle width of 64" for a XJ application. Then... you can pick and choose knuckles and hubs/brakes from a variety of applications depending on desired bolt pattern. And of course you'd also need to buy some custom inner axle shafts. Fabricate your brackets/steering and your done. Not all that bad of job really....You'd also then most likely want a 8.8 rear with a matching bolt pattern and gears.

Personally....a Dana 30 with quality ball joints, and 31" rubber won't be prone to breakage unless you use a air locker or a Detroit. And even then it would take some abuse. The advantage to the 44 starts becoming more obvious when ya get larger rubber (35") and a locker. Also Wis terrain is largely dirt/mud so again I'd stick with the Dana 30 front.

If you ever need custom axle or fab work of any nature done...let me know. I have many friends in Wisconsin in the 4x4 world. I also have kids/grand kids there, and we visit a few times a year.

As much as I"d like to go full blown crazy by swapping in a 44 after all the trimming and rebuilding, I'll more than likely just stick with what I got in the 30. As you said the terrain around here doesn't really require much more, especially since I don't do any rock crawling or mud boggin or other generally destructive things, I'm more into exploring.

I'm planning/budgeting/watching for a 3" and 31s lift in XJ's future. It's all just a when I feel like making the leap. It's on the back burner until I repair the rust and fix up a few other items on XJ. I may hit you up for contact info on the people in Wi.

OldKooT

« Reply #177 on: August 30, 2015, 10:20:22 AM »
A little late but as promised...

As you can see it's rough...literally it's covered in bed liner. There is little to no rust per say but the body is far from "nice". It has a healthy 4spd auto, a 4.0L with a rod knock... Dana 30 front and Chrysler rear.

Interior is half way decent but not what I'd call nice.

So a parts truck with no paperwork...

What it does have of interest possibly...

Looks to be a set of lift springs and whatever goes with the lift. Also JKS sway bar disconnects as well. The rear has just a add a leaf, so I assume 3.5" lift or so. Tires in the picture are bald 31" BFG's

I am not sure "when" I will sell/dispose of this wreck, but I will most likely part it out. Or sell it to someone who wants a parts truck.

Anyway, I said I'd post some pics, so I have LoL

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 30, 2015, 03:26:28 PM »
Also JKS sway bar disconnects

Yes, possibly. PM sent

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2015, 10:00:26 AM »
Update:

XJ had an amazing update.

I cleaned the windshield, inside and out. That is all.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »
Update:

XJ had an amazing update.

I cleaned the windshield, inside and out. That is all.
Details needed!

What type of cleaner?
What type of rag used?  or paper?
In the sun or a shaded area?
Wiping back and forth, or up and down, circular motion, or free form?
Edges and corners clean as well?
What % increase in visual acquity after the modification?

Come on Sergeant, tighten up this shot group!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2015, 10:57:06 AM »
he may not have had enough coffee yet this morning
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
Yep, more coffee (as I finish cup 2) for Don. Seems a tad testy this AM.

Go get that XJ

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2015, 11:46:56 AM »

Details needed!

1. What type of cleaner?
2. What type of rag used?  or paper?
3. In the sun or a shaded area?
4. Wiping back and forth, or up and down, circular motion, or free form?
5. Edges and corners clean as well?
6. What % increase in visual acquity after the modification?

Come on Sergeant, tighten up this shot group!

1. Standard windex
2. Standard paper towels, doubled up
3. Cleaning operations commenced in the daylight hours at approximately 1345H (local)
4. Cleaning operations utilized all forms of cleaning techniques
5. 100% of the surface was properly cleansed
6.  100% increase in visual acquity

Bear's nose art leave much to be desired. Especially when he now knows he can jump into XJ through the open windows after exploring the woods and feels the need to lay down.

he may not have had enough coffee yet this morning

I had my standard one cup of black coffee with a TBSP of raw honey.

Yep, more coffee (as I finish cup 2) for Don. Seems a tad testy this AM.

Go get that XJ

Well those officer types don't like offputting conversation when they are having coffee. It's just not dignified.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:10:29 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
Good job

CM

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2015, 01:58:13 PM »
bobby, my back seat stays folded down with a couple of blankets layed down to catch things that fall from the these 2
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2015, 02:45:11 PM »
Good job

CM

I do what I can.

bobby, my back seat stays folded down with a couple of blankets layed down to catch things that fall from the these 2

Normally the back seat is down, if I leave it up, he can't lay down and get comfortable. However, I have some Trans fluid, Oil, Coolant, a compact shovel and some metal grating in the back. Once I get it organized more and etc, I'll put the back seat down for him and throw a couple blankets back there for him.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 02:47:31 PM by BobbyB »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2015, 10:34:32 PM »
If youve never used newsprint, give it a try.  Works wonders.  No lint.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2015, 07:51:11 AM »

I have, but I just grabbed the last little bit of paper towels I had left on the roll.

Offline Flatlander

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »

This is a great detail trick (or is that a hack nowadays?), I have been using this method for at least 30 years. Best used as a 'final' wipe down/polish for that showroom clean look.

TIP to use: Wad up a full two sheet section of black and white newspaper in to a bit of a ball and use like any other wiper. If it gets to wet it will "pill and shred" but no lint. Just grab another full sheet of the Chicago Tribune and go back to work. NEVER used colored ad paper!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 13, 2015, 03:47:59 AM »

This is a great detail trick (or is that a hack nowadays?), I have been using this method for at least 30 years. Best used as a 'final' wipe down/polish for that showroom clean look.

TIP to use: Wad up a full two sheet section of black and white newspaper in to a bit of a ball and use like any other wiper. If it gets to wet it will "pill and shred" but no lint. Just grab another full sheet of the Chicago Tribune and go back to work. NEVER used colored ad paper!

I agree it does work. Plus cheaper than buying paper towels.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 25, 2015, 06:47:09 PM »
Well, XJ has been parked in the parking lot since the 13th. I bought a 2007 Saturn Ion for a daily driver. Lots better on the gas mileage front.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 25, 2015, 10:10:06 PM »
That's a girl's car, right?

I'm saddened...

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2015, 10:38:40 PM »
Don, that's just wrong.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2015, 10:44:47 PM »

He's a grunt...I'm a pilot

There was no danger

So I took the shot!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 25, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
OK, enough DOTing here. Bobby get those good parts from the farmer already.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 25, 2015, 10:48:08 PM »
Yea!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 25, 2015, 11:09:52 PM »

He's a grunt...I'm a pilot

There was no danger

So I took the shot!

Rofl. For real. Like guys who wear their Brietling and talk about being a pilot. Except you really have been there....

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2015, 08:05:28 AM »
That's a girl's car, right?

I'm saddened...

I'll take 35 MPG over the 16ish that XJ was delivering.

You're saddened cause you're a pilot. Pilots have sensitive feelings. It was either a Saturn, beat up Civics or Kias..

Nope sent him a PM, so whenever he's done with the crops and etc.

Yea!

Nope.

guys who wear their Brietling

I don't think I've ever seen an actual pilot wear a Brietling. I've seen G-Shocks, and Suuntos, but then again I never really interacted with normal civilian pilots.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:06:53 AM by BobbyB »

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2015, 09:00:46 AM »
Well, at least Saturn was owned/built by GM, so you're gtg in my book!
Ryan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal