Hello Guest

Author Topic: 3D printed semi auto  (Read 4637 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 3D printed semi auto
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 10:53:06 PM »
While I get the fears people have over "unregulated" guns ultimately I think things like this are a good thing. We know criminals who want to break the law will always get their hands on guns. Pretty cool how technology is moving. I also don't see why anyone with a CNC machine couldn't make untraceable guns anyway right now? Ultimately it will come down to whether someone wants to be a good person or a criminal and how they use the weapon. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »
What stops most people with cnc's is the cost of their machines & their livlihoods. Get caught making gun parts in quantity w/o proper paperwork / license & your goose is cooked.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 11:23:29 PM »
That makes sense....I was saying it meaning anyone could make parts/a gun if they wanted with one. Technology will keep moving forward- what separates the good from bad is no different with things like 3D printers out there as without them. 

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 12:32:07 AM »
I agree

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 06:10:25 PM »
What stops most people with cnc's is the cost of their machines & their livlihoods. Get caught making gun parts in quantity w/o proper paperwork / license & your goose is cooked.

As long as you are not making Frames(for sale) or Class 3 items you can make as many firearms as you want, there is no law or rule that I am aware of that limits the number of firearms you can make for you own personal use.  They are trying to make get permission to build your own in some states but that will become interesting if it gets passed.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 06:38:51 PM »
Interesting discussion. I have some AK flats and am itching to build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:03:34 PM »
What's the hold up TRN you have shop press now right?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »
IMO AK's are the most time consuming to build and to some level the most difficult to finish, the AR, 1911, Glock, Sig's are fairly simple to complete.  Also remember with the AK flats you will have to do some kind of heat treatment on certain areas to get some longevity out of the unit.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 07:00:54 PM »
yes and yes.  I have a press.  I just need the jigs and some heat treat.  I planned to make one out of firebrick and a propane burner.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 07:33:12 PM »
You only have to heat treat the rails and pivot pin holes, the rails can be done by putting them in a small shallow tray of Brake fluid and burning the fluid off, its the simplest way.  For my AK builds I buy pre-bent(no pivot holes) and hardened units and start from there.  Also for you first build I recommend screw build instead of rivet build, you can always go back and rivet it together if you want.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
Wilsonphil, have you personally built the glocks from an 80% frame? If so who's 80% did you use?

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 12:16:24 AM »
No I have not built up My Glock frame yet, I think the unit I bought was made by polymer 80 but I did not buy direct thru them.  Usually I do not cut the frame rails until I get the slide in my hand so that I can fit the slide to the frame. 

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 07:43:41 AM »
I thought these 3D printed guns are only good for one or two shots? Not worth messing with. But then all I know about 3D printed guns is what I see on TV and we all know how accurate that is. They are cool though.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 09:59:27 AM »
It depends on the material used for the printing, from personal experience you can make a rocket chamber using 3D printed material.  In the polymer side the heat generated by the round will cause the unit to fail.   Even Metal 3D printing is not 100% yet but with in 5 years it will make machining small to medium parts obsolete, IMO there will always be some type of detail machine work that will have to be done but right now we can hold pretty reliable tolerances.   What the real limiting factor is the cost of the metal 3D printers but that will come down with time.  I can see in the future that 3D printers will be like any other tool in your tool box.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDraco
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 10:17:36 AM by wilsonphil »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal