Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hackers remotely carjack jeep  (Read 2429 times)

Offline husker77c

• Registered
    • View Profile
Hackers remotely carjack jeep
« on: July 21, 2015, 12:54:05 PM »
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway

Yet another reason to drive an older vehicle.

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Hackers remotely carjack jeep
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »
Ha! You beat me to it. I just read this and was coming here to post this exact comment! Crazy stuff.

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 02:38:52 PM »
Yikes!  Makes me concerned about the onstar systems we all have.  If OnStar can remotely lock/unlock, remote start, etc then we have to assume it's possible to be hacked as well.  I know my 2002 GMC does not have onstar, but my 2005 did.  Did they start implementing it somewhere in between there?

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:09:27 PM »
Wow. That's some scary stuff there.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 03:10:38 PM »
On Star
Pull the fuse!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 05:58:08 PM »
Isn't there some that believe that Michael Hastings car was hacked, resulting in the crash, explosion, and ultimately and his death?

Michael Hastings was the reporter that supposedly had a big story on Obama. Then suddenly died mysteriously, similar to Breitbart...
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »
I did not hear about this
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »
What kind of car was he driving?  That would help to understand what was possible?  I don't know of any cars that are steer by wire (there may be, I just don't know) but there are brake by wire and throttle by wire, so with those two systems under computer control you theoretically go WOT and disable brakes.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 09:41:52 PM »
TRN he was driving a MB C250 according to Wikipedia. I don't know if that's drive by wire or not. The wiki article discusses both sides of it. I didn't find it conclusive one way or the other. I would paste it here but can't seem to figure out how to on my phone.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 09:45:54 PM »
Certainly throttle, fuel pump, and door locks are...

Now i'm not saying I believe conclusively that this is what happened, but here's a high profile example of where car hacking it is/was possible for sinister purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksX-jyze7sE

On June 17, Hastings allegedly told his colleagues that that he was going off the radar for a bit because he was working on a big story. Now only furthering skepticism about the journalist’s demise, his neighbor tells the Los Angeles Weekly that Hastings was terrified to get in his own car hours before he died inside of it.

Jordanna Thigpen tells LA Weekly that Hastings approached her in the early hours of June 18 and pleaded with her to hand over her Volvo.

“His behavior grew increasingly erratic. Helicopters often circle over the hills, but Hastings believed there were more of them around whenever he was at home, keeping an eye on him. He came to believe his Mercedes was being tampered with,” Gene Maddaus wrote for the Weekly

"Nothing I could say could console him," Thigpen told the paper. "He was scared, and he wanted to leave town.” Thigpen told Hastings she was experiencing mechanical problems with her car and declined his pleas to take it for a drive.

According to the neighbor, that meeting occurred after midnight on the morning of June 18 just five hours before emergency responders attended the fatal car crash. In the coroner’s report published last week by investigative journalist Jason Leopold, family members said Hastings was thought to have just recently begun taking drugs after almost a decade-and-a-half of sobriety. Hastings brothers told investigators that the reporter passed out at around 3 a.m. that morning and suggested he wouldn’t be surprised if cocaine, marijuana or DMT were being abused at the time. A toxicology report identified only insignificant traces of methamphetamines and weed in Hastings’ system, and led officials to conclude that either couldn’t play role in the crash.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 09:51:17 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal