Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bilstein 5100's or Fox Peformance Series?  (Read 2390 times)

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
Bilstein 5100's or Fox Peformance Series?
« on: September 23, 2015, 11:42:28 AM »
Good morning guys!
Looking for advice from this crusty crew of knowledgeable non vendors. I'm running a 08 GMC Duramax CCLB 4x4 Dually. She has 90k on her and I'm wanting to replace shocks. She sits stock height with pizza cutter 235/80 17s. I pull a 13k fifth wheel about half the time the truck is on the road. I also have a set of bags under her. I am hearing different things depending on who I ask, some say the Bilstein's will be the best shock for my situation and others are pointing me towards the Fox's Performance Series. The Fox shocks will run me about $125 more then the Bilstein's. But you can rebuild the Fox's. I always thought of the Fox shocks for more of an off road application and would make the 90 % of the time I am on pavement an uncomfortable ride.
Anyone have experience with the Fox's for a mostly pavement toy puller?
I followed you guys here from one of the other forums to see the rest of the Square D build (she is running!).
Below is a list of my MODs to the truck, all of which I installed myself with the help of Don write up on his Duaramax. Thanks!
I'm still a little hesitant to install the blocker plate, but will get to it someday.
Thanks in advance for advice on the shocks.....

EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install..

2008 GMC 3500 HD CCLB Dually with EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Bilstein 5100's or Fox Peformance Series?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 11:58:23 AM »
Hey man! I remember from way back on the other site.... you STILL have your blocker plate in the glove box?!  ;D ;D ;D

Can't help on shocks unfortunately, but i will benefit from this thread as i had the same questions about shocks... so Thanks!
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 12:06:30 PM »
From my perspective, I'm bone stock with no plans to do anything but stay that way. I daily drive it and tow twice a month in the summer. Just ordered up AC Delco HD's yesterday, so I'll update w/ 1st hand info once they're installed. That said, having sold performance shocks for years before doing gear work, a good quality monotube gas shock like the bilsteins are very popular and seem to last longer than OE, but the ride quality is a little stiffer IMEO.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »
Thanks Tate! Let us know what you think of the HD OEM's, I was hoping someone had some feed back on the Fox shocks.....
2008 GMC 3500 HD CCLB Dually with EFI Live Tunes by Idaho Rob/DSP5 Switch/DPF delete 4" MBRB exhaust/S&B Dry Filter Intake/Edge CTS monitor w/EGT probe/AD 165 Liftpump/Titan 62 Gallon fuel tank/XD Monster wheels/ReTraxPro Bed Cover/Firestone Air Bags and a EGR Blocker plate in the glove box waiting for the the stars to align to install.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:39:50 PM »
I'm running Fox on the cognito lift, and although they are great most of the time, on pavement. Big bumps or rough offroading shows that they are way to light for a diesel.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:42:56 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 03:18:28 PM »
I have a lot of miles on Bilstiens 5150's and 5100, and 6100 series shocks.

I couldn't imagine a situation where the Bilstiens would let you down. Those guys do things German right!

I suspect the FOX shocks are very good, possibly even better.

But I KNOW the Bilstiens which I used on a Hummer, on a SAS converted Tundra, and on another taco I had were completely reliable. The Fox is a likely

From my personal experience:

Bilstiens: Proven winner
Fox: unknown, but likely a great shock
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Tedram

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 04:09:13 PM »
Thanks for all the advice, just what I was looking for. I will go with the Bilstein's, a proven shock. NorCal Trucks is offing free shipping on the 5100's and they are about $125 cheaper than the Fox's. I will report back after to let you know how they compare to my worn out stockers.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 04:13:45 PM »
I have the 5100s on my LB and love em. Plane to keep em through the lift and add them to the Sub.

Best bang for the $$$ and way better than stock!!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 04:55:10 PM »
I cant say anything about the fox or bilsteins, because i have the rancho rsx9000x's front and rear on mine.  They work great for me.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »
Hey Tedram,  I have almost the same set up as you.  Bone stock suspension and wheels on a 2013 dually crew towing a big fiver with bags.  I had 500 miles on the odo when I changed my shock shocks and one was already bad.

I have 5100s all around and love them.  The only thing that would make me swap them for other shocks would be QA1s where I can tune damping and rebound to deal with big undulations in the freeway towing heavy.  But I'm not that motivated to spend 4X the amount on shocks.  Bilsteins are good enough, especially with the bags inflated to about 35psi under loads.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal